• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodation Terminology. Does Gite = Albergue?

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
Just starting to do some loose planning and looking at the route and accommodation options.

We are only walking Le Puy to Conques.

Given the time and expense for us getting half way around the World, the 'Boss' is being most unreasonable in saying "can't we do something other than just walk a Camino!" I suppose there might be other things we could do.......... :rolleyes:

So she is looking over my shoulder as we look at all the accommodation listings on Gronze.

Please tell me if I have his right.

A Gite is generally like an Albergue. Dormitories, shared bathrooms etc? I guess like Albergues, some may have private rooms, even with their own bathrooms?

Chambre d'hôtes is more like a Hostal, or B&B? Maybe Casa Rural? Often the home of the owner. Private rooms and bathrooms etc.

I also under stand the demi pension (dinner bed and breakfast) is often the norm.

Just need to understand as the Princess likes private room, own bathroom, and good food!! :oops:

Gee. Anyone would think this is a vacation not a Camino! :rolleyes:
(this one might be a bit of both actually)

But she will be walking, carrying all her gear, up all those hills !

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Robo and Boss. Bonjour.

Re gite - you are correct. And yes, many gites have private rooms with shared bathroom and occasionally private, as well as dormitories.
Re Chambre d'hôtes - you are correct, except for the Hostal part.

Yes, many gites and chambre d'hotes offer demi-pension, and almost always so when in small villages or rural areas where other options for eating are limited. The wonderful thing is that even staying in private rooms you will be able to enjoy communal meals. And usually the food is of a high standard. Boooking ahead is recommended - even if the day before - so that your hosts know you are coming and whether or not you will take demi pension.

Regarding gites - There are private gites and gites communale - the latter is equivalent of municipal albergue in Spain. Another common feature of gites on the French caminos is that that they are smaller - i.e. fewer beds overall and fewer beds per room - and bunk beds are not as common as in Spain. As an aside, I've read a few times on the forum a definition of a gite as a renovated farmhouse. Some may be - but gites are in cities, towns and villages in all sorts of buildings.

What fun to be planning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Robo,

You're right: a "gite" is like a private albergue: basic is a bed in a dormitory, but you may find private rooms and more services (like a dinner).
"Chambre d'hôtes" is more like B&B or Casa Rural. Most cases the price will reflect the comfort difference.
"Demi pension" means that dinner is included, "Pension complète" means dinner and lunch.

Buen Camino,
Jacques-D.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi @Robo

Great to hear of plans!

Walking on the VF in France, I found the term gîte a bit of a movable feast.Quite often seems to apply to what I would call a B&B, sometimes with a host and sometimes independent.

I sense that if it is described as a gîte d'étape it is probably the nearest thing to a Spanish albergue or an Italian ostello.

Bon chemin!

Tim

Hi Robo and Boss. Bonjour.

Re gite - you are correct. And yes, many gites have private rooms with own or shared bathroom, as well as dormitories.
Re Chambre d'hôtes - you are correct, except for the Hostal part.

Yes, many gites and chambre d'hotes offer demi-pension, and almost always so when in small villages or rural areas where other options for eating are limited. The wonderful thing is that even staying in private rooms you will be able to enjoy communal meals. And usually the food is of a high standard. Boooking ahead is recommended - even if the day before - so that your hosts know you are coming and whether or not you will take demi pension.

Regarding gites - There are private gites and gites communale - the latter is equivalent of municipal albergue in Spain. Another common feature of gites on the French caminos is that that they are smaller - i.e. fewer beds overall and fewer beds per room - and bunk beds are not as common as in Spain. As an aside, I've read a few times on the forum a definition of a gite as a renovated farmhouse. Some may be - but gites are in cities, towns and villages in all sorts of buildings.

What fun to be planning.

Many thanks @Pelerina . It's all starting to make sense.

The Le Puy Way will be different to walking in Spain, as I'm sure you know. And even though it's very popular these days, you will meet more French people than any other nationality.

One thing you may read here on the forum is that many French people are 'just hiking for a week or two'. In fact, many French people you will meet on the Le Puy Way will be undertaking the pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela over many years. They may leave from their home or from one of the 'starting points' of the major French routes or somewhere in between - and walk as much time as is available to them each year, given work or family commitments or financial considerations. The next year they recommence where they left off. I have met many French pilgrims doing just that. Their pilgrimage may take them 10 years. Imagine their joy and satisfaction on arrival after such a long commitment.

Also the majority I have met while walking in France refer to 'le chemin de saint-jacques or le chemin de saint-jacques de compostelle' rather than the individual route they are walking.

Bon chemin.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The Le Puy Way will be different to walking in Spain, as I'm sure you know. And even though it's very popular these days, you will meet more French people than any other nationality.

One thing you may read here on the forum is that many French people are 'just hiking for a week or two'. In fact, many French people you will meet on the Le Puy Way will be undertaking the pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela over many years. They may leave from their home or from one of the 'starting points' of the major French routes or somewhere in between - and walk as much time as is available to them each year, given work or family commitments or financial considerations. The next year they recommence where they left off. I have met many French pilgrims doing just that. Their pilgrimage may take them 10 years. Imagine their joy and satisfaction on arrival after such a long commitment. Also the majority I have met while walking in France refer to 'le chemin de saint-jacques or le chemin de saint-jacques de compostelle' rather than the individual route they are walking.

Bon chemin.
You bring back a lovely memory of my meeting a group of 13 French people, in their sixties, friends since primary school, walking the VF in stages of a week at a time, twice every year. I met them having met no pilgrims at all for probably three weeks and had a wonderful few days walking with them before they returned then to Pas de Calais. They were ardent evangelists for the GR. 😃
They have since reached Rome!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You bring back a lovely memory of my meeting a group of 13 French people, in their sixties, friends since primary school, walking the VF in stages of a week at a time, twice every year. I met them having met no pilgrims at all for probably three weeks and had a wonderful few days walking with them before they returned then to Pas de Calais. They were ardent evangelists for the GR. 😃
They have since reached Rome!
what a great story @timr‼️

Not sure yet. I'll need to research the weather v the popularity v local holidays etc.
Maybe late May?
late May is good [May is the busiest month on the GR65 Via Podiensis but by late May you may find it less so] ... one reason being, if you are interested, is the fête de la transhumance when the aubrac cattle are moved outdoors to graze on the aubrac plateau and pastures ... it is quite an event with a real festive atmosphere ... it takes place on the weekend closest to 25 May ...
------
if you are interested it may be worth planning your departure date from Le Puy around this ... the main procession of the herds of cattle is on the Sunday ... unforgettable‼️
IMG_4835.jpegIMG_4846.jpeg

Hi Rob and Boss
I did this as my first “Camino” and loved it, though the way markings were not always easy to follow. This was back in 2013 so things may have improved and also I didn’t have any mobile gps with me. But the route is jam packed with scenery, Le Puy as the starting point is quite spectacular also. Know I didn’t answer your question, but wanted to give confidence that I found this section more full of other things to see (compared to the Frances), apart from just Camino stuff.
Carol

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Not sure yet. I'll need to research the weather v the popularity v local holidays etc.
Maybe late May?
That would be ideal. There is a huge crush in early May, with the long weekends over the May 1 and May 8 holidays. Whitsuntide is also a holiday, and falls on May 19 in 2024.

Hi Rob and Boss
I did this as my first “Camino” and loved it, though the way markings were not always easy to follow. This was back in 2013 so things may have improved and also I didn’t have any mobile gps with me. But the route is jam packed with scenery, Le Puy as the starting point is quite spectacular also. Know I didn’t answer your question, but wanted to give confidence that I found this section more full of other things to see (compared to the Frances), apart from just Camino stuff.
Carol
agree with your comments about jam-packed scenery and other cultural / social / historical opportunities; the waymarking is *excellent* in my experience aside from a couple of areas but, for sure, it is important to keep eyes peeled 👁️... I have walked the Voie du Puy and all its variantes a number of times ... and am currently at Figeac taking a rest day ... birthplace of Champollion who first deciphered the egyptian hieroglyphs ... zero issues with waymarking so far this trip [aside from my own folly en-route to Espalion😅] ...

agree with your comments about jam-packed scenery and other cultural / social / historical opportunities; the waymarking is *excellent* in my experience aside from a couple of areas but, for sure, it is important to keep eyes peeled 👁️... I have walked the Voie du Puy and all its variantes a number of times ... and am currently at Figeac taking a rest day ... birthplace of Champollion who first deciphered the egyptian hieroglyphs ... zero issues with waymarking so far this trip [aside from my own folly en-route to Espalion😅] ...
Ok great. 2013 is a long time ago.
Enjoy your current walk, it’s a beautiful part of France…….might go back next year myself.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In case you haven't already discovered this group, it is an excellent source of information for the Via Podiensis. Rob and Kate Forrestor, who started this Facebook group are pilgrims themselves. Rob has also published a guide to the chemin.

My husband and I start from Le Puy on August 27 and are beyond excited. I can completely relate to your "Princess's" wanting private rooms as this is how I have booked most of our accomodations (my family's nickname for me is "principessa").

Happy planning and Bon chemin!

In case you haven't already discovered this group, it is an excellent source of information for the Via Podiensis. Rob and Kate Forrestor, who started this Facebook group are pilgrims themselves. Rob has also published a guide to the chemin.

My husband and I start from Le Puy on August 27 and are beyond excited. I can completely relate to your "Princess's" wanting private rooms as this is how I have booked most of our accomodations (my family's nickname for me is "principessa").

Happy planning and Bon chem
Just starting to do some loose planning and looking at the route and accommodation options.

Given the time and expense for us getting half way around the World, the 'Boss' is being most unreasonable in saying "can't we do something other than just walk a Camino!" I suppose there might be other things we could do.......... :rolleyes:

So she is looking over my shoulder as we look at all the accommodation listings on Gronze.

A Gite is generally like an Albergue. Dormitories, shared bathrooms etc? I guess like Albergues, some may have private rooms, even with their own bathrooms?

Chambre d'hôtes is more like a Hostal, or B&B? Maybe Casa Rural? Often the home of the owner. Private rooms and bathrooms etc.

I also under stand the demi pension (dinner bed and breakfast) is often the norm.

Just need to understand as the Princess likes private room, own bathroom, and good food!! :oops:

There is also this private FB group for the Via Podiensis : <https://m.facebook.com/groups/10818...999284335/?ref=share&exp=8ce3&mibextid=S66gvF>

The founders of the group and all the admin moderators are experienced pilgrim-hikers and most have walked the Voie du Puy-en-Velay several times 😅

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am adding a picture I just took in Bayonne - the term gite is a bit of a catch all term for lots of accomodation that doesn't quite fit description as a hotel or large campsite. It can mean a house available for a holiday let, it can be applied to small farm or "naturelle" campsites (I stayed in several of these walking through France the last 3 weeks). And it can be used for dorm like accommodation- Gite d'etape or gite de groupe that is registered with the organisation "Gites de France".
And not all pilgrim accommodation is registered with Gites de France. And you can come across various other terms like on the Voie de Capitales I stayed in several 'Halte Jacquaire' which were small pilgrim accommodation with a few beds and generally some sort of kitchenette an toilet.

Attachments

• 20230627_115756.jpg
    20230627_115756.jpg
    8.3 MB · Views: 12
oui. exactement! And the number 64 in this particular case - gites64.com - refers to the ‘department’ (area) known as the Pyrénées Atlantique. Bayonne is in ‘the 64’.

Le Puy en Velay is in the ‘Haute-Loire’ - department #43.

A frivolous aside - The departments are an important level of government in France and look after all manner of things from visas to car registration. That’s why when driving in France people may often characterise an erratic or too fast or dangerous driver by saying something like ‘ah oui, le 75’ - shown on the number plate - which happens to be Paris. But of course that’s just an example 😀

A bit of extra info about France that you don’t need to know - mais, voila! 😎

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Maybe late May?
Late May is the perfect (although popular) time. And as Kitsambler said, there a lot of public holidays in May, but in 2024 the last one is on 19 May.

I'm planning to start late May/early June, so maybe we'll cross paths! Wishing you and Pat a bon chemin.

There is also this private FB group for the Via Podiensis : <https://m.facebook.com/groups/1081800999284335/?ref=sharehttps://m.facebook.com/groups/1081800999284335/?ref=share&exp=8ce3&mibextid=S66gvF>

The founders of the group and all the admin moderators are experienced pilgrim-hikers and most have walked the Voie du Puy-en-Velay several times 😅

This group is wonderful, with many people sharing helpful information, photos, and inspiration. ❤️

@BlackRocker57 is a trail angel for this route, and if you join the group, you will find her trail notes, which are an incredible resource for planning. 🙏❤️

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Had to check that this wasn't my hubbie writing this🤣

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back