• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice? Arriving in Pamplona May 1st

marclynnette

Time of past OR future Camino
May (2013)
Hey friends,

I read about the topic on the "first day of the Camino experience," and the first post talked about Pamplona being completely shut down when he arrived. I know the Spanish take their holidays seriously, so what do you suggest? We will arrive in Madrid Apr 30, stay a day, bus to Pamplona and arrive around 3pm. What should we expect? Should we book a hotel in advance? Should we aim to stay in a pilgrim's hostel? Pamplona is our starting point. Also, do you think the bus service will be a bit more stressful or easier because of the holiday?

Thank in advance!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I don't think the bus will be a problem, but do reserve when you arrive in Madrid. Go to the bus station and purchase your tickets.

There is a lot of labor unrest in Spain. The workers are feeling the pinch of austerity. I was in Leon during one of the last "huelga" marches. Stores closed so that they would not be vandalized by the marchers, but opened as soon as the march was over. I don't know if there will be any labor day marches in Pamplona, but it will be commerce as usual once the enthusiasm is over. Marchers need to eat, too!

The Albergue Jesus y Maria is mercurial. New management took over a year and one-half ago, and it is a less teutonic place. The policy is that you need to have walked in to get a bed. However, in October, they sold the person joining me a credential, and we got beds without fanfare. We had arrived together on the train, though I had been walking for weeks on other caminos. I suggest that you give it a try, and if turned away, go to a nearby hostal for a private room (or Casa Paderborn down by the river).

May 1st? Día del Trabajador ! It may be a bit boisterous and while the albergues and hotels will be open and the bars and restaurants going full swing most other shops, services, and transportation will be closed or on holiday schedule. Do make all final purchases in advance if you wait until the last minute it may be Puente La Reina before you can get what you need.
S

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Bus/train to Pamplona upon arrival to Madrid on April 30th. Not sure why you want to stay overnight in Madrid.... :?:

Since you know your travel date, you could buy your bus ticket online before you leave home on http://www.movelia.es/en/index.html. Then you just turn up at the station and board the bus, no hassle.

There are three albergues in Pamplona - you can try your luck at Casa Paderborn or Albergue Jesus y Maria when you arrive, or you can reserve in advance at Casa Iborrola http://www.casaibarrola.com/english/.

Alternatively, you can reserve an hostal in advance. There are loads of place to choose from in Pamplona, for all budgets.
Nancy

Thanks for your help. We already have our bus tickets (online). We want to spend a day checking out spain, or adjusting our bodies. Whatever is needed. That way the first day won't be too difficult. We plan to play it by ear. We might also start in Ron. or StJean, depending on how we're feeling.We want to be flexible. Good to hear the bus shouldn't be a problem.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
nreyn12 said:
Since you know your travel date, you could buy your bus ticket online before you leave home

Unless there is a tremendous discount for buying online or one bus/day, I think committing to a time/date by buying online is a really bad idea. The amount of factors that can delay your arrival are vast and having to be at a specific place because you committed to a time slot it really is a bit unpractical. I have traveled by bus all over Spain since 1993 and I have never bought a ticket online. I have never not been in the bus I wanted either.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back