• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

advice clothes needed in march?

annaw

Hello
I am also planning on going from Porto to Santiago or a little further this March. Due to the unpredictable weather conditions I am struggeling with choosing some trousers. Does anyone have some experience and could reommend something. I either wanted to pick some kind of softshell trousers but they seem kind of thick and might be too warm. An alternative could be a thicker pair of trekking pants and on cold days maybe combined with some warming underpants?
Thanks for your help!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello
I am also planning on going from Porto to Santiago or a little further this March. Due to the unpredictable weather conditions I am struggeling with choosing some trousers. Does anyone have some experience and could reommend something. I either wanted to pick some kind of softshell trousers but they seem kind of thick and might be too warm. An alternative could be a thicker pair of trekking pants and on cold days maybe combined with some warming underpants?
Thanks for your help!

Hello annaw and welcome to the Forum.

The end of March it's already Spring time, and I don't think that you are going to catch a lot of cold. You have to think that when you walk, you tend to get warmer, so don't forget about that fact too.

I think that what you should really be prepared for, it’s the rain. That could be the difference between a good and a bad day of walking. We are going to have probably a wet March.

In my opinion, a pair or two of those dry fast trekking pants it's enough. If you feel that it's too cold, you can either wear a pair of waterproof pants over it, or a pair of thermals beneath, which you can also use to sleep at night. Other thing is that softshell material it's great, but I think that it's not so resistant to the type/amount of rain that you can catch on the Caminho Português.

I hope that I've helped you. If you need something, just ask :)

Best Regards
Diogo

I know we each have our own style so please understand my choices. I used convertible pants that were synthetic (No Cotton). For rain I had a pair of runners leggings with light weight nylon shorts over them. Everything dried quickly and was light weight. Layering was my choice for warmth. Before my Camino I hadn't owned any convertible pants nor synthetics, they worked..... Buen Camino..... Willy

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My recommendation (as one who has not yet walked the Camino, but who enjoys hiking and lives in the Pacific Northwest where the weather is usually on the cooler side, but can vary) ... When I am hiking/backpacking, my preferred lower body combination is a pair of convertible hiking/trekking pants and a "base layer" (mine is Patagonia and is made from capilene). My preferred upper body combination is a tank top and a hiking/trekking shirt (variable sleeve length) with a "base layer" (long sleeve Patagonia capilene) for added warmth if needed. I am still working on my preference for if I need to be warmer than that (i.e., I don't have the "perfect" fleece/down/raincoat/etc. combo worked out yet). I tend to start out cold and warm up quickly, so much of my hiking, even in the rain, is usually in shorts (i.e., the legs zipped off the convertible pants) and a tank top. Since for the Camino I plan to get my pack weight down as much as possible and want something that dries quickly, I am still seeking the "perfect" tank top so that I can leave my cotton ones at home. Recommendations for tank tops, fleece (weight and brand), and rain gear would be appreciated. I'm a a function+versatility+mystyle seeker who understands that what works for one does not necessarily work for all, but it's good to have a good library of resources to select from. (My Camino plan has been bumped out to 2015.)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I just did this in "winter". No need for softshell pants, or even thicker trecking pants. I used my summer Schöffel roll ups with the side ventilation zips open under my ultra thin rain pants. Totally adequate.

.............Since for the Camino I plan to get my pack weight down as much as possible and want something that dries quickly, I am still seeking the "perfect" tank top so that I can leave my cotton ones at home. Recommendations for tank tops, fleece (weight and brand), and rain gear would be appreciated. I'm a a function+versatility+mystyle seeker who understands that what works for one does not necessarily work for all, but it's good to have a good library of resources to select from. (My Camino plan has been bumped out to 2015.)
Rohan are UK based but will ship anywhere. They have some good tops which you might like. We found that the Core T is too sticky, good in winter if it is very cold. The Element line is good. Our Rohan fleeces are reversible, but only available from about October onwards. If you are interested I can post more info here. The Rohan sale has just eneded and the 'Kombi' fleeces have sold out so no information now about them on-line, but there are others.
As a guide I take a woman's Medium or can use a men's Small, apart from the Kombi fleece which I bought Men's medium to be a loose fit and go over my other clothes, including a thinner Rohan microgrid fleece (jacket style). It was very cold at the time and I have no other jacket, just a poncho. Good combination for me.

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.
We arrived in Porto by train from Lisbon yesterday afternoon. Long haul from Australia via Singapore, Milan and Madrid departed April 23. Our first encounter with other pilgrams was when 3...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back