• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice on 2nd Camino- Frances or something new??

Time of past OR future Camino
October 2018
Hello, fellow pilgrims! I am seeking advice on a 2nd camino. I walked the Frances from SJPdP to Santiago alone last September and found it to be life-changing to say the least. A year later, I feel that very common pull to go back. This time I will walk with my husband and only have two weeks at the end of March 2020. I am torn between exploring a different route or returning to the Frances to share it with my husband. Some of what I love about the Frances was beautiful scenery, historic towns, well-marked paths and abundance of support for pilgrims. Any advice from those who have walked multiple caminos/routes would be greatly appreciated.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Going in March will limit your choices due to weather and the availability of services since it’s early in the pilgrim “season”. If it is his first time and you are looking for the “abundance of support” you had last time, you are really limited to following the Frances or a similarly popular route (Portugese, perhaps?)

Hello, fellow pilgrims! I am seeking advice on a 2nd camino. I walked the Frances from SJPdP to Santiago alone last September and found it to be life-changing to say the least. A year later, I feel that very common pull to go back. This time I will walk with my husband and only have two weeks at the end of March 2020. I am torn between exploring a different route or returning to the Frances to share it with my husband. Some of what I love about the Frances was beautiful scenery, historic towns, well-marked paths and abundance of support for pilgrims. Any advice from those who have walked multiple caminos/routes would be greatly appreciated.

Good day Jennefer!

If you have 15 days I would suggest you a departure from Gijon in the direction of Santiago. (321km)

It is a part of the Camino Norte were you will the ocean and wonderfull landscapes. It is a very senic trip that I am shure you would enjoy!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I walked the Via de la plata/Sanabres as my second walk. It was truly spectacular. With 2 weeks, you could start in Seville and go as far as you can, leaving the rest to finish at a later date. Or, start in Granja de Moreruela and simply do the Sanabres at the end. Walking in the south from Seville in march would be great. May be a bit cold on the Sanabres then. Good luck!

I did my first Camino with my husband. We took two weeks off work and did Baiona to Santiago on the Portugues Variante Espiritual, 9 days of walking with some light walk days for recovering and the boat trip.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Porto (coastal route) to Santiago is hard to beat, very romantic, endless boardwalks and ocean views until joining on to central route. The Portuguese people are friendlier, their food is tastier and better value for money. It'll be challenge to walk it in 2 weeks but very flat and can be achieved 🤠

Hi Jennifer,

My wife, son and I did the CF also in September/October last year. Somewhat like you, she had done 10 days on the Camino the year before and wanted us to experience it.
This year we’ve decided to do the Portugués from Porto in October, then onto Finisterre, finishing at Muxía for sunset on All Saints eve. We chose Portugal as we didn’t have as much time and I really found that Galicia resonated with me. I also found the time from Sarria to Santiago too busy and wanted a quieter time.

We’ve chosen a mixed path that includes some of the Espiritual and coastal and with a little more time than you we’ll also visit Fatima before we start.

Our itinerary which is achievable in you timeframe is:
Porto to Vila do Conde 22km
Vila do Conde to Esposende 20km
Esposende to Viana do Castelo 26km
Viana do Castelo to Vila Praia de Ă‚ncora 20km
Vila de Ă‚ncora to A Guarda 20km
A Guarda to Oia 13km
Oia to Baiona 18km (rest day here)
Baiona to Vigo 24km
Vigo to Redondela 16km
Redondela to Pontevedra 20km
Pontevedra to Armenteira 20km
Armenteira to Vilanova de Arousa 24km
Vilanova de Arousa to Pontecessures to PadrĂłn 3km by boat of 36km walk
PadrĂłn to Santiago de Compostela 26km

You could lengthen the shorter days to compress a day or two.

Hi Jennifer,

My wife, son and I did the CF also in September/October last year. Somewhat like you, she had done 10 days on the Camino the year before and wanted us to experience it.
This year we’ve decided to do the Portugués from Porto in October, then onto Finisterre, finishing at Muxía for sunset on All Saints eve. We chose Portugal as we didn’t have as much time and I really found that Galicia resonated with me. I also found the time from Sarria to Santiago too busy and wanted a quieter time.

We’ve chosen a mixed path that includes some of the Espiritual and coastal and with a little more time than you we’ll also visit Fatima before we start.

Our itinerary which is achievable in you timeframe is:
Porto to Vila do Conde 22km
Vila do Conde to Esposende 20km
Esposende to Viana do Castelo 26km
Viana do Castelo to Vila Praia de Ă‚ncora 20km
Vila de Ă‚ncora to A Guarda 20km
A Guarda to Oia 13km
Oia to Baiona 18km (rest day here)
Baiona to Vigo 24km
Vigo to Redondela 16km
Redondela to Pontevedra 20km
Pontevedra to Armenteira 20km
Armenteira to Vilanova de Arousa 24km
Vilanova de Arousa to Pontecessures to PadrĂłn 3km by boat of 36km walk
PadrĂłn to Santiago de Compostela 26km

You could lengthen the shorter days to compress a day or two.

That's a really lovely itinerary!
If I were to change it, I would go from Vilanova de Arousa to Teo (with boat plus 10km) and stay at the Pousada dos Francos, which is lovely, quiet and romantic. The meals and hospitality at their restaurant are second to none (their lovely chef Jacobo gave us the nicest tip for eating in Santiago) There's a roman bridge 1km walk from there for a nice after-dinner walk and the following day it's just 13km to Santiago, which means you arrive for lunchtime and have plenty of time and energy for sightseeing.
PS: Combarro, in between Pontevedra and the very steep way to Armenteira, is a gorgeous village by the sea which would be lovely to spend some resting time

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-13 at 08.57.16.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-13 at 08.57.16.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 8
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If you seek a quieter and more physically challenging walk, consider the Way of St. Francis in Italy. Stunning scenery in Tuscany and the Umbrian mountains...many quaint hilltop villages. Sandy Brown had a good guidebook and website. He also has gox maps.

One other option is to start at the original beginning of the Camino Frances which is in Le Puy near Lyon in central France. Thats why it's called Camino Frances although most start in St Jean with only 20 odd km in France.
Its my wife's favourite Camino due to the beautiful countryside and wonderful French food.

I am torn between exploring a different route or returning to the Frances to share it with my husband.

I walked from Saint Jean to Santiago in 2017 and loved it.
This year, I went back to the Camino Francés, but only had time for 10 days of walking and decided to start in León.
In hindsight I think it would have been better to walk a different camino, for example the Inglés and then on to Finisterre, as I felt this year's walk lacked a sense of completion and I missed the joy of exploring new paths and villages along the way.
Of course, it was still a pleasant camino, but not a phantastic one.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
That's a really lovely itinerary!
If I were to change it, I would go from Vilanova de Arousa to Teo (with boat plus 10km) and stay at the Pousada dos Francos, which is lovely, quiet and romantic. The meals and hospitality at their restaurant are second to none (their lovely chef Jacobo gave us the nicest tip for eating in Santiago) There's a roman bridge 1km walk from there for a nice after-dinner walk and the following day it's just 13km to Santiago, which means you arrive for lunchtime and have plenty of time and energy for sightseeing.
PS: Combarro, in between Pontevedra and the very steep way to Armenteira, is a gorgeous village by the sea which would be lovely to spend some resting time
Agree! I spent the night in Combarro and loved that village! Very picturesque and beautiful! It breaks up the long stage with that steep climb in the last half out of Pontevedra.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back