• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice on Portuguese route

yuliamelnykw

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2023
Hi
I’m doing my Coastal Camino Portuguese at the moment , and I’m at Viana de Castelo.
I’m thinking should I change my route to Central after Caminha or stick with Coastal one. I don’t really like industrial part like busy roads /big cities and prefer coast/forests etc so maybe someone could recommend something to me, please? also maybe any advice on any good allergies on a way/ cafes /churches that I should see?
Many thanks!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There’s no real big cities on the central once you are out of Porto. There are cities of course but those are mainly where you stay. Once you are out of the city it’s mostly trail walking. There was one day where I was maybe on a highway for an hour or two. This was before O Porrino.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi
I’m doing my Coastal Camino Portuguese at the moment , and I’m at Viana de Castelo.
I’m thinking should I change my route to Central after Caminha or stick with Coastal one. I don’t really like industrial part like busy roads /big cities and prefer coast/forests etc so maybe someone could recommend something to me, please? also maybe any advice on any good allergies on a way/ cafes /churches that I should see?
Many thanks!
We switched to the central route at Caminha on our pilgrimage last year and did not regret it. The pilgrimage visitors center in Viana de Castelo has an excellent map displaying the options. The walk along the River Minho is quite pleasant and Valenca and Tui are quite interesting mid-sized cities well worth seeing. If you continue along the coastal route, which is also very pleasant, you eventually have to walk through Vigo, which is a major metropolitan area, much larger than Valenca or Tui combined, and probably won't be to your liking if you don't like big cities. We felt we'd seen enough of the coast prior to Caminha that we didn't have to continue the coastal route and that it would shorten our walk by a day or two. I concur with the previous writer that the walk to O Porrino ends in the last couple of miles along a busy highway, which is fairly uninteresting, but you can't totally escape these areas wherever you walk along the Camino.

There was one day where I was maybe on a highway for an hour or two. This was before O Porrino.
I have walked this and the complementary route, and while it is a little longer, the complementary route is much more pleasant to walk. There is also a complementary alternative before Pontevedra that I would recommend as well.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
My wife and I will be walking the coastal path next August...and intend following the coast to the degree possible. I suppose, in my mind, I'm setting off to do the coastal...and I'd like to see all that entails. That said, I've noted quite a number of comments (and discussions with a lot of pilgrims on trail) that they departed the Litoral for the Central after becoming a bit 'bored' by the constant seascape. I'd be lying if I said that didn't concern me...well just a little bit!

The above aside, and as some have commented on this site, the CP provides a good few reasons to maybe go back and walk it again..via a different route. I quite like that thought....knowing the Central can be 'saved' for another day.

My wife and I will be walking the coastal path next August...and intend following the coast to the degree possible. I suppose, in my mind, I'm setting off to do the coastal...and I'd like to see all that entails. That said, I've noted quite a number of comments (and discussions with a lot of pilgrims on trail) that they departed the Litoral for the Central after becoming a bit 'bored' by the constant seascape. I'd be lying if I said that didn't concern me...well just a little bit!

The above aside, and as some have commented on this site, the CP provides a good few reasons to maybe go back and walk it again..via a different route. I quite like that thought....knowing the Central can be 'saved' for another day.
You won't always be walking along the Coast if you follow the Coastal path as it heads inland away from the Litoral route which always hugs the coastline. There are 3 paths - Senda Litoral, Coastal & Central. The Coastal is also the same as the Litoral along the boardwalks for a few days beside the Atlantic Ocean. I have walked both the Coastal and Central and suggest you enjoy each separately. Both are wonderful caminos.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
Day 0? I’m here 😊and I start my slow coastal camino tomorrow! Feel blessed and recognize the privilege it is to be able to take this journey. Tomorrow a short walk to Matosinhos - just right...
Will be doing hopefully my first of many Camino journeys leaving out of Porto December 29. From what I can tell, highs in 50’s to 60’s F and possibly some but not a lot of moisture with no snow...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...
What a wonderful day walking by the sea! My backpack felt good, my dry bag with poncho strategically clipped to the outside was handy! My first stop was in a bakery cafe near the mouth of the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back