Search 57,387 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Holy Year Credential
Get the HOLY YEAR Camino Credential (Passport) here.
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store

Albergues, Have most of the Albergues opened?

Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.
Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean

SabineP

Camino = Gratitude + Compassion.
Year of past OR future Camino
some and then more. see my signature.
Hello, I wanted to know, are most of the Albergues opened now?

I want to start at the end of August. On the Camino Frances.

Thank You

Hi and welcome here.
I see it is your first post on this forum. You will find a wealth of info.
Do not hesitate to ask us for more information if you want to.

The Gronze website gives good updates about open albergues and most importantly their capacity ( regarding space and social distancing ).
The general tendency from people walking right now is that calling or booking beforehand is advisable.

JLV

Hi and welcome here.
I see it is your first post on this forum. You will find a wealth of info.
Do not hesitate to ask us for more information if you want to.

The Gronze website gives good updates about open albergues and most importantly their capacity ( regarding space and social distancing ).
The general tendency from people walking right now is that calling or booking beforehand is advisable.

Thank You very much SabineP

SabineP

Camino = Gratitude + Compassion.
some and then more. see my signature.

Happy Penguin

A.K.A. Happy Pilgrim
As someone currently walking the Camino Frances (now in Navarra) I can say that not only many albergues are still closed but it seems like the Camino Frances reached the point of saturation. Roncesvalles reaching its limits, Zubiri was full in early afternoon, Larrasoana had 2 beds available when I got there, the biggest albergue in Pamplona was full by 1 pm. This is due to the fact that bed occupancy is limited to 50 percent, many albergues stay closed and there are groups of young people having usually a week long Camino walks with their counselors (staying in albergues). Those groups don't show up in Santiago Office statistics because they don't finish at Ssntiago. In general booking one or even two days ahead is essential.
It is still very quiet Camino at maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of the 2019 count, but if you walk without reservation you risk ending up without a bed. You can probably still count on private rooms if your budget can support it. Other than that, the Camino Frances in July 2021 is absolutely wonderful 😀

Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.
Rent a house in Santiago (1 month minimum)
300m from the cathedral and around the corner from the fresh food market in Santiago. Perfect place to tele commute from (1GB symmetrical connection).

biarritzdon

Veteran Member
CF11, CF12, CP13, CF14, CA15, S.Anton15, CF&CI15
Ditch Pig16, CF&CP17, CdN18, CM18, CF18, LePuy19
The decision to walk a Camino in 2021 is looking more and more difficult considering uncertain and constantly changes Covid restrictions. Finding a place to stay should be the least of your worries, there are always hotel rooms available.

Faye Walker

Veteran Member
CF 2014, CF 2018, CP 2019 from Coimbra
The decision to walk a Camino in 2021 is looking more and more difficult considering uncertain and constantly changes Covid restrictions. Finding a place to stay should be the least of your worries, there are always hotel rooms available.
yes, and to add: what is the case now is not any indication of how things will be at the end of August -- which had been, prior to COV, a high-season for starting. One could find any number of health concerns erupting then, and re-closures... or -- *maybe* such a great availability of Mrna vaccines with such great uptake that the large concerns about variants will have faded.
We just cannot know...

Isca-camigo

Veteran Member
Various ones.
I usually only walk the Frances in the off season in regular years,what i am reading about the Frances now in summer with accommodation , booking ahead and only a few albergues open sounds very familiar to that experience, if people are looking for tips and to maybe locate alternate places it may be worth reading the winter blogs.

didi2L

As someone currently walking the Camino Frances (now in Navarra) I can say that not only many albergues are still closed but it seems like the Camino Frances reached the point of saturation. Roncesvalles reaching its limits, Zubiri was full in early afternoon, Larrasoana had 2 beds available when I got there, the biggest albergue in Pamplona was full by 1 pm. This is due to the fact that bed occupancy is limited to 50 percent, many albergues stay closed and there are groups of young people having usually a week long Camino walks with their counselors (staying in albergues). Those groups don't show up in Santiago Office statistics because they don't finish at Ssntiago. In general booking one or even two days ahead is essential.
It is still very quiet Camino at maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of the 2019 count, but if you walk without reservation you risk ending up without a bed. You can probably still count on private rooms if your budget can support it. Other than that, the Camino Frances in July 2021 is absolutely wonderful 😀
Thank you. We start this weekend and this is very helpful.

lt56ny

Veteran Member
CF(2012) Le Puy/CF (2015) Portugues (2017) Norte (2018) CF (2019) VDLP?
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets
Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 100 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads