• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergues in Santiago?

walkingps

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2023
Hi everyone!

I was wondering if there are walk in albergues in Santiago? I am suddenly hearing that you have to prebook places and everywhere I look online is full. Do any/ many albergues let you just turn up on the day and get a bed? Are they reasonably priced? Any info much appreciated!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The one I stayed at a week ago was fully booked. When I arrived 5 people were already standing in line and they were all rejected. I had booked so was let in. But then again - there are many albergues in Santiago, you just have to look around if you don't want to book. My place, albergue azabache, cost me 30 euros for one night - and it was really great.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Right now, if an albergue takes reservations, then they're fully booked. (I'm 31 km outside of Santiago, and for the upcoming weekend, most everything is completo). Now, I have seen 1 or 2 no-shows ( empty bunks in the dorm), but whether, when, or how they release a reservation is up to the hospitalera/o. I've watched them send people away, sometimes in a cab at the walker's expense.

I usually stay at the fantastic Albergue San Lazaro, which although a municipal is one of the most charming and relaxed albergues on the Camino. The guys who run it are great, you can come and go whenever you like, you can hang around while they're cleaning, and all for 10 euro.

Getting a bed is easy. Like all municipals they don't take reservations (except large groups), so it's first come first served. They open reservations at 1, so turn up at 12, use the kitchen and wait for the registration to start. If for some strange reason you don't get in the Monte de Gozo is 1.5 km up the road ... they're huge, and run military style, but sure it'll do. Also 10.

Bit far from town for both but the 6 or 6A will whisk you to the centre for 1 euro.

The trick is to be first in the queue.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi everyone!

I was wondering if there are walk in albergues in Santiago? I am suddenly hearing that you have to prebook places and everywhere I look online is full. Do any/ many albergues let you just turn up on the day and get a bed? Are they reasonably priced? Any info much appreciated!
We had good luck last weekend at Albergue fin del Camino, a non profit that didn’t show up on Wise Pilgrim. My son found the mention on Reddit; sorry I don’t have specific thread or subreddit but it’s a good idea to look beyond bookings.com or the standard apps if you can.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi everyone!

I like Last Stamp primarily for the location just a few 100 meters of the Cathedral. Must book ahead

Hi,
In mid august, it seemed that all the albergues in the center were fully booked way in advance. I found a bed for 3 days at the paroquial albergue Fin del Camino. It's almost along the camino, 2,5 km from the cathedral. One can walk or take a bus to go to the center. It was comfortable and quiet and the good point for me was that the bus going to the airport passes just 2 blocks away. If the availability of beds had been easier (or if I had known on which day I'd reach Santiago !), I would definitely have gone for the Last Stamp like Tom, nice place and perfect location.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.