• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Staying in Santiago While Volunteering?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi @TorontoGMan, we're looking forward to having you in July! I know you've been in touch with our teammate, J., so it's nice for me to meet you here on the Forum!

Our volunteers have stayed in a variety of places, based on their budget and preferences:
- pilgrim rooms (top floor) in San Martin Pinario
- Airbnb rooms or apartments
- Seminario Menor albergue
- Hotels like Entrecercas, Nest Style, Avenida

Out of all of these, I'd recommend the pilgrim rooms in San Martin Pinario - you need to email or call them to set up your reservation for these special rooms, but they're reasonably priced (less than 25€) and come with a buffet breakfast. If those rooms are already sold out, or if you like to cook for yourself, then an Airbnb apartment or room would be a good option. There's quite a few around town now.

Take care and see you in a few months!

San Martin Pinario also has double rooms (two single beds) on the pilgrim floor. I recall they are priced around €40 per night.

This is a bargain if you factor in the location - 5 minutes from Pilgrim House, and the included buffet breakfast. You will also have the ability to do some light cooking at the Pilgrim House.

Have a great time!

Tom

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi all:
Recommendations for staying a couple extra weeks while volunteering at the Pilgrim House in July?
Thank you!
During my volunteer days at the Pilgrims Office I stayed at San Martin Pinario, which is just about five (5) minute walk. I paid 26 Euros for my single room which came with free breakfast worth nine (9) Euros. The proximity, serviced private room/bath, and free breakfast were my motivations. Thank you for volunteering at the Pilgrims House. Buen Camino.

Hi @TorontoGMan, we're looking forward to having you in July! I know you've been in touch with our teammate, J., so it's nice for me to meet you here on the Forum!

Our volunteers have stayed in a variety of places, based on their budget and preferences:
- pilgrim rooms (top floor) in San Martin Pinario
- Airbnb rooms or apartments
- Seminario Menor albergue
- Hotels like Entrecercas, Nest Style, Avenida

Out of all of these, I'd recommend the pilgrim rooms in San Martin Pinario - you need to email or call them to set up your reservation for these special rooms, but they're reasonably priced (less than 25€) and come with a buffet breakfast. If those rooms are already sold out, or if you like to cook for yourself, then an Airbnb apartment or room would be a good option. There's quite a few around town now.

Take care and see you in a few months!
Hey Nate!
It looks like either they aren't quite to July with their booking or they are already jammed! Since I'm trying to allow the Camino to guide me, I'm not going to prebook too much...and if I take the hit, so be it. I'm trying to focus on the spiritual on this Camino, and I want to be open to the "wherever the Spirit leads me" principle!
That said, the hope is to be with you by the second week in July! God willing I'll find somewhere to lay my head! My daughter will be heading home....so she says now...lol...we'll see what kind of impact the Spirit has on her over the 50+ days we plan on spending!
Nate, on a different thread, have you or your colleagues ever heard of anyone having communion at the Cruz de Ferro? I've had a "nudge".....and I think that I want to do that...
Blessings,
gary

Since I'm trying to allow the Camino to guide me, I'm not going to prebook too much...and if I take the hit, so be it. I'm trying to focus on the spiritual on this Camino, and I want to be open to the "wherever the Spirit leads me" principle!
That said, the hope is to be with you by the second week in July!

If you've made an actual commitment to volunteer someplace and they're expecting you, then you have an obligation to honour it, within reason..
In which case, booking the first couple of nights at least, to find your feet, would be sensible.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Since I'm trying to allow the Camino to guide me, I'm not going to prebook too much
But weren't you asking about accommodation specifically in Santiago, when you have a volunteer position to fill?

It looks like either they aren't quite to July with their booking or they are already jammed!
If you have emailed to request a reservation at San Martin Pinario for a particular date in July, they should have responded to you. I have always found them to be very prompt and they do make reservations months in advance. They could, of course, be filled, but they would tell you that if you made a request.

But weren't you asking about accommodation specifically in Santiago, when you have a volunteer position to fill?

If you have emailed to request a reservation at San Martin Pinario for a particular date in July, they should have responded to you. I have always found them to be very prompt and they do make reservations months in advance. They could, of course, be filled, but they would tell you that if you made a request.
I was C! But I'm trying to leave myself some "wiggle room"....I'll know more as the journey is underway....but YIKES! Everything (of course just on Booking.com) is already down to "one room left" comments! So, that same battle between "Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance", and "Let the Camino Guide" begins!

"But weren't you asking about accommodation specifically in Santiago, when you have a volunteer position to fill?"
The volunteer spot has been able to graciously allow me to connect with them as I get closer and have more clarity around my arrival.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It looks like either they aren't quite to July with their booking or they are already jammed!
I was C! But I'm trying to leave myself some "wiggle room"....I'll know more as the journey is underway....but YIKES! Everything (of course just on Booking.com) is already down to "one room left" comments! So, that same battle between "Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance", and "Let the Camino Guide" begins!
I was trying to correct the suggestion that San Martin might not yet be booking for July. They will certainly be booking for July. They could be full, but they would have informed you, if you requested a reservation.

Last year when I emailed to make a reservation (which I had done successfully in past years) I got no response. I had to call them to make a reservation.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.