• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alcuéscar albergue closed “por reformas”

peregrina2000

Staff member
This is really the only place to stay in Alcuéscar. But looks like it will be closed for a while.

The last time I walked this camino, I went from Aljucén to Aldea del Cano, via Santa Lucía. The albergue is about a half km off-route, but it was fine.

And to anyone who walks this way, IMHO, it is a crime to miss the slight detour to Santa Lucía del Trampal. Beautiful 9C visigothic church. Alan Sykes has given us the tracks.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The last time I walked this camino, I went from Aljucén to Aldea del Cano, via Santa Lucía. The albergue is about a half km off-route, but it was fine.
According to Gronze that albergue is closed as well. That’s really going to make this section more difficult. Or more expensive.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
According to Gronze that albergue is closed as well. That’s really going to make this section more difficult. Or more expensive.

Indeed! Aljucen is a nice place to say.
But with Alcuéscar and Aldea del Cano albergues closed, that leaves the stage as Aljucen to Valdesalor if Albergues are preferred! 44.9 kms......
Tricky..........
Maybe someone on the VdlP now can provide some insight?

The website for Aldea del Cano makes no mention of the Albergue being closed though

Indeed! Aljucen is a nice place to say.
But with Alcuéscar and Aldea del Cano albergues closed, that leaves the stage as Aljucen to Valdesalor if Albergues are preferred! 44.9 kms......
Tricky..........
Maybe someone on the VdlP now can provide some insight?

The website for Aldea del Cano makes no mention of the Albergue being closed though
Gronze says it is closed

If you scroll down on the notice I linked to, there is all the info you need about the private hostal, Los Olivos. Looks like they have pilgrim prices.

A few years ago this hostal got a lot of criticism for trying some “arrow trickery” to get people to go there. They are a bit out of town on the highway, 3.5 km to be exact, so the quickest way to get there is to take a turn off the camino before going into town. Now that detour will be much appreciated!

You can see the camino, the hostal, and the albergue on this google map.

IMG_1792.png

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If you scroll down on the notice I linked to, there is all the info you need about the private hostal, Los Olivos. Looks like they have pilgrim prices.
Stayed a few years back. A bit tired and shabby but then again so was I! A single room at not much more than the price of an albergue bed. An excellent evening meal and very friendly service as I recall. If your expectations are realistic then it was an excellent deal at the price.

A few years ago this hostal got a lot of criticism for trying some “arrow trickery” to get people to go there. They are a bit out of town on the highway, 3.5 km to be exact, so the quickest way to get there is to take a turn off the camino before going into town. Now that detour will be much appreciated!

You can see the camino, the hostal, and the albergue on this google map.

View attachment 162657
Thanks

These wikiloc tracks take you directly to the Hostal. Turnoff at the Cruce de las Herrerías.

That’s an 18.5 km day from Aljucén, and a detour to Santa Lucía on the way into the hostal would only add a few more. Oh so well worth it!

I remember that there were tons of trails crisscrossing through the forest when I got off the camino. And what I have found using my wikiloc map search feature, which is pretty amazing, is that there is a trail from the church to the hostal directly wtihout going into Alcuéscar. You would use Alan Sykes’ tracks to get to the church, then part of this circular trail to get to the hostal. I think it would be about 24-5 total.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks, yeah I think that's going to be the best option. That albergue is also listed on Gronze.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Maybe I'm dreaming but I think I saw a message come up on the group Vdlp yesterday saying that the Albergue in Alcuescar was reopening next week.😕

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Is it your experience, @Bradypus, that this group is very up to date on albergue openings and closings? Looks like a good resource.
Can't say - I am not a regular group member. The post popped up in my Facebook feed. Probably because I had been looking up something else vaguely related. Most of my Facebook reading about the VdlP comes from @geraldkelly 's English-language group.

Most read last week in this forum

After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
I think I’m on day 12, so not quite two weeks in. Thus far the VDLP is definitely a different animal than the CF. And I have to say, I’m struggling to enjoy it as much as the CF last year. I...
Hello, Has anyone travelled by train or bus from Santiago to Zamora on to Granja de Moreruela, I've checked online and it seems there is a train from Santiago to Zamora. I will be flying from the...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back