• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
  • 20% off everything Altus the next few days at the Camino Forum Store. More here. (Discount taken at check out)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

All advice greatly received

gemmag

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning to walk some of the Camino in September 2018. I'm a complete novice.
Myself and a couple of friends are undertaking to do a weeks walking of the Camino this September. We have 7 nights so would intend to walk to 5 or 6 days. As complete beginners with no real training done, I am looking for some advice as to the best route to take for a beginner. Initially we fancied the idea of Santiago to Finisterre/ Muxia but really we are open to all suggestions. Any advice as regards easy routes suitable for beginners would be great. Thank you very much

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You haven't said where you are from - to give us an idea of where it would be easy for you to start from. But I would suggest walking the Camino Frances because there are so many services available - you can send your backpack ahead if you have problems with carrying it, the albergues are often closer together so you don't have to walk a long day if you find it too difficult, and there are many restaurants so you don't have to carry as much food. It takes much less planning and there are so many people ready to help you.

You haven't said where you are from - to give us an idea of where it would be easy for you to start from. But I would suggest walking the Camino Frances because there are so many services available - you can send your backpack ahead if you have problems with carrying it, the albergues are often closer together so you don't have to walk a long day if you find it too difficult, and there are many restaurants so you don't have to carry as much food. It takes much less planning and there are so many people ready to help you.
Thank you so much for your response. We are travelling from Ireland and flying into Santiago. From the reading that I have done to date I was beginning to think that one of the busier routes may be better as beginners.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi, gemmag, have you looked in at the caminoireland website? They have regular meet ups, and they are at James’s church in Dublin Thursday to Saturday. I would think you would get a lot out of a conversation with one of the members. You will also get lots of ideas from this Forum members, but sometimes a live conversation can really clarify things more quickly. Whatever about advice, get those feet out and moving! A hint from someone who shared re his Camino: 3 stages: gratitude, willpower, rejuvenation. Maybe 5 or 6 days is a bit short for all the stages, but you can surely start every day with gratitude, and by midday willpower will be called on, and then overnight, magic! The aching legs and sore, sore feet will be brand new! All the best, buen camino.

Gratitude, willpower, rejuvenation. Hadn’t heard this before, so true! I’ll remember those words for sure on my next Camino. Tx.

Gratitude, willpower, rejuvenation. Hadn’t heard this before, so true! I’ll remember those words for sure on my next Camino. Tx.
pretty sure it was JJinWI, a really fine post.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Myself and a couple of friends are undertaking to do a weeks walking of the Camino this September. We have 7 nights so would intend to walk to 5 or 6 days. As complete beginners with no real training done, I am looking for some advice as to the best route to take for a beginner. Initially we fancied the idea of Santiago to Finisterre/ Muxia but really we are open to all suggestions. Any advice as regards easy routes suitable for beginners would be great. Thank you very much

Hello gemmag,
You might like to look at the end part of the Portuguese routes, (Tui to SDC).

If I remember correctly, you will have a couple days to get into your stride before tackling some hills.

The Sarria to SDC leg, although very popular, is not exactly a stroll in the park. Also, you will inevitably meet others who have walked other routes, they may give you a feel for what you might want to try next........................

Many people find the Finisterre or Muxia routes more challenging than they expected.

Buen (pleasing first choice) Camino

I, personally would not recommend the Santiago to Finisterre/Muxia route, especially for first-timers. It is much more isolated with far fewer places to stop for a bite to eat or drink and take a little break.

Prepare for your next Camino on California's Santa Catalina Island, Oct 27 to Nov 2
Do you want your Compostela?

If so, you must walk last 100kms of any route.

Why not good ole CF, Sarria to Santiago. Lots of pilgrims and lots of infrastructure, especially during high season: April to October.

Hi Gemma!

Greetings from another Irish pilgram!! I did Camino Frances last yr and walked on to Finisterre also. I think you're spot on doing Santiago to Finisterre. If you do the last 100km from Sarria to Santiago it's soooo busy and commercial(sorry but it is) having done all of it,if I had started in Sarria I would have been soul destroyed. Also, it's overwhemingly busy if ur not already in the Camino swing if things!
From Santiago to Finisterre is fab,quieter yet not isolated and it gives a fabulous relaxing and thought provoking taste of what the Camino is about. You can always return snd do Camino Frances or bits of it but ur plan seems perfect to me and I'd totally go with that!
Hope u have a really fabulous time!

BUEN Camino!

Hi Gemma!

Greetings from another Irish pilgram!! I did Camino Frances last yr and walked on to Finisterre also. I think you're spot on doing Santiago to Finisterre. If you do the last 100km from Sarria to Santiago it's soooo busy and commercial(sorry but it is) having done all of it,if I had started in Sarria I would have been soul destroyed. Also, it's overwhemingly busy if ur not already in the Camino swing if things!
From Santiago to Finisterre is fab,quieter yet not isolated and it gives a fabulous relaxing and thought provoking taste of what the Camino is about. You can always return snd do Camino Frances or bits of it but ur plan seems perfect to me and I'd totally go with that!
Hope u have a really fabulous time!

BUEN Camino!
Also,don't worry about the lack of training you'll be absolutely fine. I had done none whatsoever(though some thought I was wreckless maybe?!) The terrain is totally do-able. Just make sure you have a decent pair of broken in walking shoes and you'll fly it!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you so much for some great advice, I really appreciate it

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings fellow travelers, I am hoping to do my first international trip at 57 and solo to walk the Camino Primitivo in mid-July. I want to book the trip through either Santiago Ways or Camino...
Hello, my name is Wendy and I walked the Camino Primitivo in September 2022 and I’m planning to walk the full Camino Portugues from Lisbon to Santiago beginning September 7, 2024, in honor of my...
I'll be volunteering in Santiago July 01- July 15 this year with the Camino Companions who offer services for the English speaking pilgrims, announcements at mass, English Mass at the Pilgrim's...
Hello! I and my friend Cecilia will walk Camino Ingles with start 4th of October. We are so excited to our first but not last Camino. Buen Camino to all of you.
Hi my name is Bryce (Australian) and I’m doing the Camino Frances starting September 15. My wife is 57 years old and was born without her left thigh bone. She can wear a prosthetic leg for very...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.