• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

All the pilgrim statistics for 2012

JohnnieWalker

Nunca se camina solo
FELIZ AÑO NUEVO 2013

Happy New Year from Santiago de Compostela

I have posted the provisional statistics for 2012 here: http://www.johnniewalker-santiago.blogspot.com

It has been a busy and and times difficult year for the city. You can read about the ups and downs including the kidnap of the baby Jesus in the week of Christmas!

But still the pilgrims kept coming as surely they will in 2013.

Best wishes to all for the New Year

John

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Goodness, what a huge increase in the number of Kiwis this year- and I feel glad to be able to be in their number. No wonder some people seem to know what I am talking about when I say "Camino" now. It used to be always pretty blank looks!
Margaret

And I am another proud Kiwi. My arrival in June will stay with me forever. And hopefully my husband and I will feature in the 2013 statistics. He was so inspired by my walk he wants to do it too. We had planned on walking in Spring again but I broke a bone in my foot a month ago so we have delayed until September. I hope that St James is good at healing broken bones. He works miracles in most other things.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Interestingly, at least to me, the number of December pilgrims dropped from last year. It was attributable to about 160 fewer Spanish pilgrims, the bulk of the pilgrims after the high season. The number of non-Spanish increased by about 100.

Hey ya - might seem silly question but please tell me that thats 192488 pilgrims in total... not 192488 pilgrims that just walked in 2012? I'm going in August, was expectin there to be more people than in previous years... but not that many... ?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
SBrierley said:
Hey ya - might seem silly question but please tell me that thats 192488 pilgrims in total... not 192488 pilgrims that just walked in 2012? I'm going in August, was expectin there to be more people than in previous years... but not that many... ?

For 2012 only!

Slightly more than 2011 and I am sure for 2013 slightly more than 2012 but you never know...

Hey ya.... just had a proper look at previous years - and yeah of course it is just 2012 - No probs I'm going anyway. Guess these stats are taken from when people arrive at Santiago and get their Compostela credential? I'm starting in Roncesvalles 22/8/2013 and planning to get to Santiago 27-28/9/2013 - so figuring I'm gettin to Santiago end of September and looking at recent stats... maybe my journey will not be in the 'peak' time with lesser people? ...... I've got no probs with meeting lots of new people etc all part of it - but would be comforting to know I'm not gonna have to race thru my journey just to get a bed at the next albergue..... like I said its all booked - so I'm going no matter wat :D

would be comforting to know I'm not gonna have to race thru my journey just to get a bed at the next albergue
August is about as bad as it gets, but the big surge will be the last 100km in the last week of August and first week in September. You will be behind the huge crowds, but many pilgrims have taken to starting early in September to miss August, thus creating crowding throughout September. The Pilgrim Office in Santiago publishes arrivals daily, and the numbers were around a thousand each day throughout September. September arrivals will have started in August (except the ones who started in Sarria, who will have started throughout September).

Anecdotal evidence is that there is always a bed, so much of the bed race is in the mind of the pilgrim. Keep your mind right, and you will be fine. If it is important to have a bed where you want, start very early and stop by 2 to 3 p.m. As a practical matter, I do that because that is as long as I can walk, and I am a morning person!!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
ha ha Yes.... my Dads name is John - bit of a family joke as it goes.... hassle my dad bout losing his marbles.... he cant even remember writting a book!.... but seriously that seems to be a great guide book too, compared to a couple of others I got my hands on first....

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

To anyone who just finished the Camino these past few days, or who will be finishing the Camino today or tomorrow: If you'll have finished the Camino by tomorrow night and if you'll be in...
Hello, my shoes are pretty down and worn out now with holes in it. As it is rainy these days I won’t make it to Fisterra with dry feet. Can you recommend a good shop for shoes in Santiago...
Hi to all, I'm on the invierno right now and I will be in santiago tomorrow. I realise today I didn't get two stamps per day in the last 100 km. My question is how in the pilgrim office they are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back