• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Allergic to Mold - Can you tell me which Albergues to specifically avoid?

Linda Fantillo

RiverWalker
Time of past OR future Camino
September/October 14, May 17, September 18,
May22
I am extremely allergic to mold and as I prepare for the Camino in September, it occured to me that there are probably some very old, moldy places and if possible, I would like to avoid them. Thank you to all you wonderful people you are so helpful on this forum. Linda

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Linda,
I don't know that much about molds and allergies, but it would seem to me more helpful if you tell us about what and where the molds grow that you are allergic to. Pretty much all the buildings you will encounter; churches,restaurants,hotels, albergues, are in old buildings. Does this mold live on stone, wood etc? Even the newest albergues will tend to be damp with all the showering clothes washing and wet pilgrims.

On my very first Camino, I was walking with a friend with a serious mold allergy. She was fine everywhere, except for O Cebreiro and San Juan de Ortega. O Cebreiro, I've seen, has been totally remodeled, so hopefully the problem is gone. San Juan de Ortega has probably gotten worse. Beautiful spot, gorgeous church next door, but the albergue would not pass a health inspection. Buen camino, Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Drop a few extra euro a night and stay in a newer, private albergue and plan your route so that you stay in towns with the newer albergues. There are a lot of reasonably priced pension houses and private hostels you can get a room for the night, too.

I think you will recognize a potentially moldy albergue when you see it as you do the Camino.

Last summer, many of the people who stayed in the convent in Santo Domingo de la Calzada ended up with a respiratory infection that they attributed to mold. There were enough to defy the probability of random illness.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Larrasoaña! Avoid It!

Thank you to everyone who replied. I have travelled in Europe several times and have come across mold in old churches etc. As Mark said, I just have to put my nose in the door and I know not to go in. I realize that some of the places will be better than others and will probably have to spring for some private accomodation if there are no other options. Will just have to do the best I can. Cheers. L.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, I’m starting my Camino Frances on May 12. I’ve booked my first night in SJPDP, but I’m starting to worry I need to book more. My plan was to take it day by day and just turn up, but lots...
Hello all. Here to give a brief account of my (and many others) first day on the Camino on May 1. The trip to Roncesvalles was tough. I went Valcarlos route because napoleon was very ill advised...
I am wondering how you disconnect, in part, from the world. I have a couple of reasons that I need to be accessible but, I don't want to be constantly connected on this journey. Ideas?
Can anyone tell me if food is available there… anyone stayed recently? Cheers
If you’re walking the Camino Portugues right now I’d recommend you avoid the complementario route into Pontevedra. While it is quiet and green and follows the river, it’s also a muddy mess. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back