• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

All's Packed And Ready To Go

Walk with Ernie

Just call me Ernie
Time of past OR future Camino
SJPdP to Santiago Sept 2017 & 2022, Portugues 2021
I am leaving for Europe in a matter of a few hours. I travel standby(space available). It could take me up to three to four days to get there.

I am very anxious as in excited and worried. I know things will turn out well. I am not as fit as I would like to be, but I am not planning to make a race out of this either. I have been planning this adventure for a couple of years now. I have sized down from 28 kgs, and a 65 ltr. pack, to 18kgs and a 45 ltr. pack. I have budgeted 45 Euros per day. I have been told that the Camino provides.

Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am leaving for Europe in a matter of a few hours. I travel standby(space available). It could take me up to three to four days to get there.

I am very anxious as in excited and worried. I know things will turn out well. I am not as fit as I would like to be, but I am not planning to make a race out of this either. I have been planning this adventure for a couple of years now. I have sized down from 28 kgs, and a 65 ltr. pack, to 18kgs and a 45 ltr. pack. I have budgeted 45 Euros per day. I have been told that the Camino provides.

Buen Camino

Ernie:

18 kg's what do you have in there sand bags? Are you counting the clothes you will wear? My pack is between 7&8 kg's and I am wondering how to get it lower.

Do not worry all will be well. Depending on your connections, we might see each other. I arrive SJPdP on the 12th. You have plenty budgeted and the Camino will provide.

I will be wearing a beige cap with a walking boot on it (Life is good).

Ultreya,
Joe

You've already made today's best joke on the forum [Shelly] and have used the best tags I have ever seen on a post! You are on a roll already.
Good luck with the flights, and buen camino.
Drink a nice cold beer for us when you land! And @jpflavin1 better not ask to borrow any stuff off you now he has said that about your pack!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You've already made today's best joke on the forum [Shelly] and have used the best tags I have ever seen on a post! You are on a roll already.
Good luck with the flights, and buen camino.
Drink a nice cold beer for us when you land! And @jpflavin1 better not ask to borrow any stuff off you now he has said that about your pack!

Notion900:

I might even be inclined to loan Ernie something he forgot ^^.

Ultreya,
Joe

Close to sand bags....... my camera equipment, small laptop computer and a spare pair of shoes.
Notion900:

I might even be inclined to loan Ernie something he forgot ^^.

Ultreya,
Joe
I may need the kitchen sink to wash up in.... you got one?

Close to sand bags....... my camera equipment, small laptop computer and a spare pair of shoes.

I may need the kitchen sink to wash up in.... you got one?

No worries there. I have not been in an Albergue w/o a bathroom and wash sink.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
At a budget of 45 euros a day da Camino can provide for you pretty darn good :D
18 kg pack?
ultreia

It will lighten up along the Camino, I am sure.
no doubt...
the first time I walked the CF I "donated":
one pair of hiking pants
one Columbia fleece pullover
one leather belt
one long sleeved button down tech shirt
two pairs of skivvies
two pairs of socks
one pair of flip-flops (that was unintentional-forgotten at an albergue)

I know, a lot of stuff. ha ha
I miss those flip flops. They good sturdy ones I bought in the Philippines. Had tire rubber soles.
ultreia

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
no doubt...
the first time I walked the CF I "donated":
one pair of hiking pants
one Columbia fleece pullover
one leather belt
one long sleeved button down tech shirt
two pairs of skivvies
two pairs of socks
one pair of flip-flops (that was unintentional-forgotten at an albergue)

I know, a lot of stuff. ha ha
I miss those flip flops. They good sturdy ones I bought in the Philippines. Had tire rubber soles.
ultreia
Mark, I will keep an eye out for those Treaded flip flops. I lightened the load again. im dealing with 11kgs now. I dont think I can lighten much more.

Have fun Ernie. I fly out in 3 days.
Buen Camino
Dave, I start trying to fly out tomorrow. Space available is good but If I can't catch a light out of my home town, I will end up either in Chicago, or Miami Iberia has some open seats tomorrow night and tuesday night. Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Dave, I start trying to fly out tomorrow. Space available is good but If I can't catch a light out of my home town, I will end up either in Chicago, or Miami Iberia has some open seats tomorrow night and tuesday night. Buen Camino
Chicago or Miami? You are already in Camino mode adapting to whatever comes your way. So many of us would not be comfortable with every detail not being planned out as opposed to just "winging it". Depending on how fast you walk, our paths may cross as I will be picking the Camino back up in Ponferrada on May 2nd. I will be walking with friends from Ireland that I met on my first Camino from St. Jean to Burgos. Last year we walked from Burgos to Villiafranca del Bierzo. Buen Camino!

Chicago or Miami? You are already in Camino mode adapting to whatever comes your way. So many of us would not be comfortable with every detail not being planned out as opposed to just "winging it". Depending on how fast you walk, our paths may cross as I will be picking the Camino back up in Ponferrada on May 2nd. I will be walking with friends from Ireland that I met on my first Camino from St. Jean to Burgos. Last year we walked from Burgos to Villafranca del Bierzo. Buen Camino!
Daniel, Thank you. I have been told I have a long stride. I don't know how fast I will be walking, but it would be a pleasure to meet you and or all other pilgrims from this group on the Camino. I do love Spain and I am very fluent in Spanish. This is my first Camino and will be excited to get ready for more Caminos. Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I got my standby tickets. I arrive in Amsterdam at 08:11 wednesday morning. Jump to Barcelona for two days. Be in SJPdP to leave on 15th. Im on my way!! Buen Camino all!!!

Ernie:

Looks like we will miss each other. I arrive Paris on Wednesday morning. Will be in SJPdP by 6:30 pm. Depending on how I feel might walk that evening to Valcarlos or Orisson.

Just weighed in my pack at 7 kg's, obviously w/o water.

Ultreya,
Joe

Ernie:

Looks like we will miss each other. I arrive Paris on Wednesday morning. Will be in SJPdP by 6:30 pm. Depending on how I feel might walk that evening to Valcarlos or Orisson.

Just weighed in my pack at 7 kg's, obviously w/o water.

Ultreya,
Joe
Joe:

I removed a few things from my pack. I am finally down to 9.5 kgs. I will also buy water bottles in SJPdP. I may stop at Valcarlos or Orisson as well. Hope to meet you somewhere along the Camino.

Ernie

Most read last week in this forum

Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.