• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alternative from Bayonne to Urdax via St-Pée-sur-Nivelle

AJGuillaume

Pèlerin du monde
Time of past OR future Camino
Via Gebennensis (2018)
Via Podiensis (2018)
Voie Nive Bidassoa (2018)
Camino Del Norte (2018)
Happy New Year to all!

Planning ahead for our stages on the Baztán, I made some enquiries with the Amis du Chemin de St-Jacques de Compostelle en Pyrénées Atlantiques. One of the issues I have is that we'll be in either Souraïde or Espelette on the Pentecost weekend, which extends to the Lundi de Pentecôte. As a result, we're being asked to stay two nights by accommodation providers, which we can't do.

I asked the Amis whether there are "accueils jacquaires", volunteers who occasionally welcome pilgrims in their home in either Souraïde or Espelette.

The answer to all my queries was that there is a new route from Bayonne to Urdax, which goes through St-Pée-sur-Nivelle and Sare and avoids Souraïde and Espelette. There's a refuge in St-Pée-sur-Nivelle, which the Amis strongly recommend. I'm even getting the impression that the Amis are recommending we avoid Souraïde and Espelette, unless we have a strong reason to go there.

Has anyone experienced this new route via St-Pée-sur-Nivelle?

Thank you!
¡Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
That's very interesting Andrew, thanks for sharing.I regularly think about another little walk on the Baztan and this option appeals to me.

It looks like you'll be following the Voie de la Nive for part of the walk to Urdax. You'll probably find some relevant posts in that sub-forum, including this one

Happy planning and Buen Camino.

Last edited:
Happy New Year to all!

Planning ahead for our stages on the Baztán, I made some enquiries with the Amis du Chemin de St-Jacques de Compostelle en Pyrénées Atlantiques. One of the issues I have is that we'll be in either Souraïde or Espelette on the Pentecost weekend, which extends to the Lundi de Pentecôte. As a result, we're being asked to stay two nights by accommodation providers, which we can't do.

I asked the Amis whether there are "accueils jacquaires", volunteers who occasionally welcome pilgrims in their home in either Souraïde or Espelette.

The answer to all my queries was that there is a new route from Bayonne to Urdax, which goes through St-Pée-sur-Nivelle and Sare and avoids Souraïde and Espelette. There's a refuge in St-Pée-sur-Nivelle, which the Amis strongly recommend. I'm even getting the impression that the Amis are recommending we avoid Souraïde and Espelette, unless we have a strong reason to go there.

Has anyone experienced this new route via St-Pée-sur-Nivelle?

Thank you!
¡Buen Camino!
This is a new route. It was opened in 2022 by members of our association

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Here is a summary of the route also on the compostelle.fr website:
This is stage 2 of the variant of the Baztan route. Apart from the first climb to the ridges, this route is not yet signposted. A Top 25 map and a device that can read a GPX track are therefore essential.
Behind the church of St Pée, follow a path that leads to a small bridge over the Nivelle. At the exit, turn right along the latter, pass under the bridge of the D918, then turn left towards the Urguri district; At the end of the district, there are 3 roads in front of you, follow the middle one which very quickly becomes a track that you follow uphill. At hill 156 follow the track to the right, then at hill 140 again to the right until you reach hill 192 where you will reach an RP (country hike) marking. Cross and plunge immediately to the left along a beautiful stone fence at the bottom of the descent, follow straight until you reach an oratory where a beautiful paved road begins that leads to the village of Sare. Pass in front of the church and follow straight on (street lined with plane trees) At the end of the street you will find the paved road that goes down to a stream and goes up to the Lehembiscai district where you join the GR 10 which you will follow to the left, then downhill towards the Istilarte district. Cross the D306, then cross the pretty Roman bridge and follow the GR 10 (red/white) for 2.5 km to arrive at a small crossroads where you continue the GR to cross the border and continue through the forest following the yellow arrows, until you reach the Hermita which overlooks the road. Go down to the road and cross following the arrows and the horse markings towards the village of Urdax, at the end of the stage.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back