• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting In Bayonne On A Sunday

JEGM

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2022 / September 2024
Good afternoon!

I did my first Camino (from Porto) last year and will be doing the Del Norte next September. I will be starting in Biarritz / Bayonne, probably Sunday 1st September.

Where can I get a Passport and where can I get a first stamp? Most websites say that Bayonne Cathedral only do it Monday to Saturday, not a Sunday.

Thanks!

Jonathan

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You can get a Credencial from Ivar's shop https://www.santiagodecompostela.me...-santiago?_pos=1&_psq=credencial&_ss=e&_v=1.0

You can get your first stamp from your overnight accommodation, the airport, a bar, anywhere that is open on a Sunday. Or perhaps Saturday night?

Edit: @JEGM an afterthought. Are you planning to arrive in Bayonne on Sunday and just start walking? If so, and unless you are familiar with the place, that would be a bit of a shame. There is much to see and do in that lovely city. It is worth 24 hours of your time. Then you could get your Credencial and your first stamp at the Cathedral on Monday morning. Santiago's blessed bones aren't going anywhere and he'd not be bothered if you turned up a day later than you'd originally planned ;)

Last edited:
Other ideas for a first stamp here

Refuge Saint-Jacques is a grand Albergue to stay in also. Bookable in advance. Beds a bit tight together but spotless and bang in the middle of town!

Credential available there also...

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I agree with @donalomahony Refuge Saint Jaques is a great little gite / albergue, run by volunteers, just near the cathedral. You can get a credenciale, a stamp and a shell there.

Also agree that Bayonne is well worth a day of your time, if you haven’t visited before.

As an aside, I notice that your post is under the Camino Baztan sub forum (Bayonne to Pamplona) whereas your intention is to walk the Norte. The Norte will take you from Bayonne to Irun, where the majority begin. The Gronze website covers the Norte from Bayonne.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good afternoon!

I did my first Camino (from Porto) last year and will be doing the Del Norte next September. I will be starting in Biarritz / Bayonne, probably Sunday 1st September.

Where can I get a Passport and where can I get a first stamp? Most websites say that Bayonne Cathedral only do it Monday to Saturday, not a Sunday.

Thanks!

Jonathan
I always get one from the forum store. Sure, it cost a few euros, but you'll appreciate not having to worry about finding one on a Sunday?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Other ideas for a first stamp here

Refuge Saint-Jacques is a grand Albergue to stay in also. Bookable in advance. Beds a bit tight together but spotless and bang in the middle of town!

Credential available there also...
I stayed there this year and you are right it is a wonderful albergue.

Hotels usually have a business stamp which, though hardly pretty, works to establish where you started your Camino. Similarly, tourist information offices can provide them, too.

You can get a Credencial from Ivar's shop https://www.santiagodecompostela.me...-santiago?_pos=1&_psq=credencial&_ss=e&_v=1.0

You can get your first stamp from your overnight accommodation, the airport, a bar, anywhere that is open on a Sunday. Or perhaps Saturday night?

Edit: @JEGM an afterthought. Are you planning to arrive in Bayonne on Sunday and just start walking? If so, and unless you are familiar with the place, that would be a bit of a shame. There is much to see and do in that lovely city. It is worth 24 hours of your time. Then you could get your Credencial and your first stamp at the Cathedral on Monday morning. Santiago's blessed bones aren't going anywhere and he'd not be bothered if you turned up a day later than you'd originally planned ;)
Thank you for your reply! Sadly, I am on a bit of timetable, so will need to get to Irun for the evening (I land in Biarittz late morning) ... I think I will take the advice of others and try the Refuge St Jacques for the stamp and passport, spend a few hours in Bayonne and then get a train to the border.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you for your reply! Sadly, I am on a bit of timetable, so will need to get to Irun for the evening (I land in Biarittz late morning) ... I think I will take the advice of others and try the Refuge St Jacques for the stamp and passport, spend a few hours in Bayonne and then get a train to the border.
From memory the Refuge opens at 2pm - so you’ll have time to get to Irun by mid to late afternoon. 😎

Last edited by a moderator:

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back