• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alternative to Monbus (Samos to Santiago)?

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2024
Hello,

I was trying to plan on catching the 4:00 pm Monbus from Samos to Santiago. I can see from the many reviews online this bus company is not reliable and treats customers terribly (denying boarding w/paid ticket, etc.). It is the only bus going through Samos 1x/day.

I will be arriving in Samos (from Triacastela) around 10am and thought it would give me time to visit the monastery and have some lunch. If I miss the bus, I am out of luck, I need to be in Santiago that evening.

I have lived in Europe before and have had many busses blow right past me at a bus stop (or not even show up). Is there any other alternative transportation to get to Santiago from Samos or do you have any itinerary change suggestions?

Many thanks!

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Hello,

I was trying to plan on catching the 4:00 pm Monbus from Samos to Santiago. I can see from the many reviews online this bus company is not reliable and treats customers terribly (denying boarding w/paid ticket, etc.). It is the only bus going through Samos 1x/day.

I will be arriving in Samos (from Triacastela) around 10am and thought it would give me time to visit the monastery and have some lunch. If I miss the bus, I am out of luck, I need to be in Santiago that evening.

I have lived in Europe before and have had many busses blow right past me at a bus stop (or not even show up). Is there any other alternative transportation to get to Santiago from Samos or do you have any itinerary change suggestions?

Many thanks!
Hi, If you take a taxi to Sarria you can get a train to Santiago. The Renfe website shows 4 trains for Monday 27th May. Check out the times on
PS Incidentally, I have never had a problem with Monbus.
Regards, Arthur Loughran

Thank you, Arthur. I see for the trains to Santiago, there is some infrastructure work going on and I actually need to take a bus to Ourense (then take a train to Santiago). Do I understand this correctly?

Here's what it shows in the trip details:
Trip with incident
MD 12696
Por obras de mejora de la infraestructura, se realizará por carretera el trayecto entre Lugo y Ourense.

I think if I left at 2pm via taxi from Samos, this would give me plenty of time to get to the train station in Sarria (or do I need to go to the bus station?)

Also, do I just ask at a local bar/restaurant in Samos if they can suggest a taxi to call?

Leaving Sarria at 3pm would be great - thanks for your help!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello,

Many thanks!
Monbus are very reliable. Reviews on the internet are not.

Edit: you could walk to Sarria, catch a (reliable) bus to Lugo and a bus to Santiago from there. You could just get a taxi if you’ve the budget and want to make a local taxi driver very happy.

Last edited:
...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
For the popular routes (Muxia Santiago for one example), buy before. The early morning bus tends to sell out.

Thank you, Arthur. I see for the trains to Santiago, there is some infrastructure work going on and I actually need to take a bus to Ourense (then take a train to Santiago). Do I understand this correctly?

Here's what it shows in the trip details:
Trip with incident
MD 12696
Por obras de mejora de la infraestructura, se realizará por carretera el trayecto entre Lugo y Ourense.

I think if I left at 2pm via taxi from Samos, this would give me plenty of time to get to the train station in Sarria (or do I need to go to the bus station?)

Also, do I just ask at a local bar/restaurant in Samos if they can suggest a taxi to call?

Leaving Sarria at 3pm would be great - thanks for your help!
Hi,
It looks like there is a replacement bus service between Lugo and Ourense picking up in Sarria.
I presume that the replacement bus will stop at the train station and not the bus station.
The bus station and train station in Sarria are in different parts of the town.
I would advise checking the Monbus website (https://www.monbus.es/en). This shows a bus to Santiago at 16.20 on 27th May.
Good luck.
Best, Arthur Loughran
PS Ask your “landlord” to call you a taxi.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have always found the Monbus service reliable and pleasant. They serve most of this area and all the small towns on the CF.
We four arrived in Sarria from Samos, last Tuesday, 21st May after a fabulous week's walking from Rabanal del Camino. On Wednesday 22nd of May we took the Mons bus to Lugo and then took another bus from Lugo to Santiago Airport, with no problem at all. P.S. Thank you for all the advice regarding the " demon " trail from Riego de Ambros to Molinaseca. Two of us took the road with no problem and two of us took the dangerous route happily!! Result?
A very happy and fulfilling week amongst stunning scenery, and a God given sense of Peace. Buen Camino to all.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, I have to cut short my walk today to do some business so I’m going to take the train from Soto de Luiña to Novellana. It is a small town there’s no one here besides me and I don’t know...
hi all! I am heading to camino de santiago in august (doing the last 100k) and after 4 days of walking i'd love to end my trip to spain relaxing on a beach. My question is, which beach is the...
Hello. We are 2 people (first timers) who are hoping to begin our Camino from Sarria on Satruday 15th June. However I have been told that if you use the postal service to transfer bags from A to...
Hi Friends! Lauren here :) We are having a blast on our Camino, just reached Baiona yesterday. I need help. I’ve tried countless times to book the train from Vigo to Lisbon on June 24th and...
We will be getting a taxi at about 10:30 this Thursday (13th June) from Pamplona to St Jean if anyone wants to share?
Hi all, I'm walking a section of the Northern Route next month and I am finalising my stages currently. I have not given myself enough time to get to Bilbao given the days I have and I am booked...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back