• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

backpacks in Monbus (Santiago to Sarria)

Bob008

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk the Camino
Would I be able to bring a backpack (size 20 -25 L) into the cabin and hold on to it rather than being forced to put the backpack into the luggage compartment of the bus? I'm reading several stories in this forum and other sites that backpacks can be stolen or taken by mistake.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I took two rides on a Sunday and a Monday on Monbus, to and from Muxia, in Oct 23. The bus from Muxia back to SdC filled up completely with both pilgrims and local commuters, and it wasn't a tour bus, so no overhead shelving. The one out to Muxia was an add on express tour bus.

Bottom line. You probably won't know which you have until you're boarding, and the bus driver usually will encourage you to put your bag underneath. If he/ she lets you keep it, it's more than likely to be in your lap.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Would I be able to bring a backpack (size 20 -25 L) into the cabin and hold on to it rather than being forced to put the backpack into the luggage compartment of the bus? I'm reading several stories in this forum and other sites that backpacks can be stolen or taken by mistake.
I would expect that a pack that size will fit in the overhead luggage rack, if there is one, with no difficulty. Otherwise, I think it would also fit under the seat if you cannot sit next to a vacant seat, as might happen if the bus is full.

If it has to go underneath the bus, follow @Anniesantiago's advice, and see if you can find a window seat where you can observe the side of the bus you placed your bag on. This will be more difficult if you have a booked seat and the driver loads the baggage for your destination on the other side of the bus! But if the bus has spare seats, it is easy enough to move if you want to. Just be aware that you might be bumped if you do this and choose a seat that someone will occupy when they board at a later stop.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
When we have to put our rucksacks underneath I have a small chain and padlock that use to secure them to the luggage structure. Easy to put on, easy to remove. It's the same one I use for securing our footwear in albergues.
Curious about this, can you point to a representation online. Just want to see what it looks like.

OK, I’m not saying that nothing ever got stolen from the luggage compartment of a Spanish bus, but folks - that’s how it is in Spain. You get on the bus, your bag - unless you’re going to balance it on your knees - goes under the bus. It’s not optional or negociable.

I’m also not 100% sure that a typical Spanish bus driver's going to let you padlock anything to his bus. Feel free to try.

Can you quote a couple from this site?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You might manage to slip on with a neat pack that's tucked in tight to you if the bus isn't full, but it's 100% at the drivers discretion and non negotiable. If you're like a bull in a china shop, swinging around with crocs and flasks and everything hanging out of your pack, you'll almost certainly be instructed to put it underneath and in a specific place/side for a specific destination. No sane driver will let you lock anything to his/her bus and they normally supervise everything themselves. I've never heard any stories of packs going missing off busses and it's not something I ever worry about.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi @Bob008 ,
That one was about 10 years ago. I posted one near miss from last year a little above. I also found one on a thread in Barcelona, not related to a bus.

I find that while there are people who prey on pilgrims that they usually don't mess with your backpack unless they think you have something valuable (cameras, go pros, drones, electronics, etc). That is why I also dont recommend a lock on your bag. If it is locked it may signify you have something besides dirty socks in there.

Keep anything of value on your person in the bus in a bag on your person. That is also true inside of albergues. Keep everything of value with you even in the shower or if you are traveling with a trusted friend (not someone you met on the Camino) ask your companion to watch your valuables.

It is very upsetting to be a victim of crime. Always report it (even if it is hard to solve). I try to never take anything I can't afford to lose although, I seem to always lose something anyway. (Chargers, towel, a sock, etc.) Some items are easily replaced in the next town and others not.

Hi @Bob008 ,
That one was about 10 years ago. I posted one near miss from last year a little above. I also found one on a thread in Barcelona, not related to a bus.

I find that while there are people who prey on pilgrims that they usually don't mess with your backpack unless they think you have something valuable (cameras, go pros, drones, electronics, etc). That is why I also dont recommend a lock on your bag. If it is locked it may signify you have something besides dirty socks in there.

Keep anything of value on your person in the bus in a bag on your person. That is also true inside of albergues. Keep everything of value with you even in the shower or if you are traveling with a trusted friend (not someone you met on the Camino) ask your companion to watch your valuables.

It is very upsetting to be a victim of crime. Always report it (even if it is hard to solve). I try to never take anything I can't afford to lose although, I seem to always lose something anyway. (Chargers, towel, a sock, etc.) Some items are easily replaced in the next town and others not.
All great advice. Thanks. Just wondering what contingency plans do veteran members or any multi-day hikers have in case their backpacks are lost?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
All great advice. Thanks. Just wondering what contingency plans do veteran members or any multi-day hikers have in case their backpacks are lost?
On Sarria to Santiago, you can probably buy one in Sarria, Palas, Melide, etc plenty of Asian stores where you can likely get one and the things you need to finish this short stretch into Santiago. There may be a Sports store in these towns as well since they cater to pilgrims. You don't need much. I replaced lost items at the Asian Bazaar in Palas del Rey this winter.

Edit: I was more worried about losing a bag or theft with luggage transfer after seeing how some albergues and hotels store your bag out in the open where it is accessible to anyone!

Edit: I was more worried about losing a bag or theft with luggage transfer after seeing how some albergues and hotels store your bag out in the open where it is accessible to anyone!
To be clear, I don't see how delivery of one's bag to the front door of an albergue makes the albergue (or hotel) responsible for the safety and security of that bag. It might have entered a twilight zone where the luggage transfer service is no longer responsible, and you have not yet arrived, where there is no-one responsible other than you, and you're not there yet to take practical control of your possessions. I wouldn't be suggesting that anyone else is responsible for storing your bag at this point, certainly not the staff of the albergue or a hotel. It seems to me that the risk is all yours!

Last edited:
To be clear, I don't see how delivery of one's bag to the front door of an albergue makes the albergue (or hotel) responsible for the safety and security of that bag. It might have entered a twilight zone where the luggage transfer service is no longer responsible, and you have not yet arrived, where there is no-one responsible other than you, and you're not there yet to take practical control of your possessions. I wouldn't be suggesting that anyone else is responsive for storing your bag at this point, certainly not the staff of the albergue or a hotel. It seems to me that the risk is all yours!
Agree with you, I am responsible for my own bag no matter where it is. I don't expect the albergue or hotel to take responsibility, but that may not be clear to every pilgrim. In this case, my bag feels safer to me under the bus.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back