• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Choosing Between Altra Olympus and Lone Peak for the Camino

BombayBill

Still Learning
Time of past OR future Camino
September 2024 Invierno / VdLP or Cathar
So just some random thoughts as I begin the descent into madness obsessing about the next Camino.

For 4 years I walked in Lone Peaks. I bought the current version every year before leaving on Camino and , upon returning, retired them to town duty for the remainder of their life. After 600-1000k they felt ā€œflatā€.

I was very happy with them. If they got soaked they didnā€™t feel wet when wearing good socks. Once I bought better insoles but that was a mistake. The non original insoles werenā€™t designed to drain water as well as the Altra version. Their non-porous material held the water against my foot. I wonā€™t do that again.

In 2021 I tried a pair of Olympus 4s for the CF. I felt they had more cushioning. At the the end of the trip (maybe 900-1000k) they feel like they still have life in them and the sole is still good. Theyā€™re in better shape than the Lone Peaks. I may even put them to Camino use a second time.

Hard to say, because once a new pair is bought and occupies the gear shelf itā€™s a signal that the upcoming plans are real.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've been such a fan of the Lone Peaks for so long that it's somehow never occurred to me to check out other models in the Altra line. But your comment about the additional cushioning on the Olympus intrigues me, especially since having to resort to third party inserts to provide more cushioning (as I've been doing of late) obviates the built-in advantages of the Altra insoles, as you correctly point out. If everything else is comparable to the Lone Peaks, I just may change things up for my first Camino in May. Now all I have to do is find a store near me where I can give them a test fit. Decisions, decisions ...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Glad to hear about your experience with the Olympus 4's!

I love my Lone Peaks for day hikes, but don't like the lack of cushion on anything over 5-6 miles. I tried aftermarket insoles but that didn't help. In fact, I've never met an aftermarket insole that has worked for me, and I've tried a bunch.

I've been eyeing the Olympus 4s, which Altra considers as their "max" cushion shoe. I'm going to have to try some on at my local REI this weekend. Thanks!

I've used and enjoyed both LPs and Olympus. Lone Peaks are, in my opinion, the more versatile shoe. Enough cushioning for me and they last me a long time (1500+ kilometres). The Olympus(es?) are also great with all of the usual Altra goodness but with added cushioning. I don't really need the extra cushioning but it's probably not necessarily a bad thing.

I say the Lone Peaks are more versatile because the Olympuses are a bit dodgy on technical terrain. With your feet higher off the ground because of the added cushion, you sacrifice (ankle) stability. This can feel a little awkward on surfaces like loose rocks or uneven terrain.

Of course, much of the camino is easy in terms of terrain (it's tracks, paths and roads for the most part), so it's not a big issue on the camino. You may feel less stable occasionally in the Olympus, that's all.

The LPs are, of course, also considerably less expensive.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I finished the CF in October 2021 using the previous Lone Peak 4 model, and had ZERO blisters. Just got an email from REI this morning announcing a sale in the US for the Lone Peak 5. Normally $130USD, they are discounted to $96 with free shipping. My new pair for my next Camino are on their way!

So just some random thoughts as I begin the descent into madness obsessing about the next Camino.

For 4 years I walked in Lone Peaks. I bought the current version every year before leaving on Camino and , upon returning, retired them to town duty for the remainder of their life. After 600-1000k they felt ā€œflatā€.

I was very happy with them. If they got soaked they didnā€™t feel wet when wearing good socks. Once I bought better insoles but that was a mistake. The non original insoles werenā€™t designed to drain water as well as the Altra version. Their non-porous material held the water against my foot. I wonā€™t do that again.

In 2021 I tried a pair of Olympus 4s for the CF. I felt they had more cushioning. At the the end of the trip (maybe 900-1000k) they feel like they still have life in them and the sole is still good. Theyā€™re in better shape than the Lone Peaks. I may even put them to Camino use a second time.

Hard to say, because once a new pair is bought and occupies the gear shelf itā€™s a signal that the upcoming plans are real.
Iā€™ve worn Altra Olympus on all of my 6 Caminoā€™s. They performed well on the VdLP which I just finished last October. I stuffed them with newspaper after a rainy day and they were dry to start the next day X Maisch in pointI stuffed them with newspaper after a rainy day and they were dry to start the next day!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Iā€™ve had the LP 3.5 and Olympus 3.5. Back then the midsole was thicker on the Olympus and provided more cushion. Equally as important for me was that the Olympus was much more breathable. The LP seemed to hold the heat in.

Iā€™ve walked the CF and CP in LP (the first 2 CF in Merrel boots that were way toonarrow -before Altras were available - I had bad blisters both times) with after market inner soles, only shoe wide enough for my feet... comfy enough. I bought a pair of Timps in preparation for a 2020 CP and CI however exit out of Australia and CV put that on hold. I have been walking locally in the Timps, time for a new pair and have just bought the Olympus to try before šŸ¤žVDLP in April/May... loving the cushioning but am a little concerned re stability over rougher terrain as well (I thought it was just me Yoah!)...also not as convinced they are as wide as the LP. The latest version of the Timps didnā€™t seem as wide either....I might end up back in the LP yet. Just a note I feel the tread wears out by 800+ and also the lining on the heel also wears after about 300+, I put engo patches on the heel to prevent the hole from appearing. Yet to find a wider fit, tried a pair of brooks but still not quite there.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

The Olympus doesnā€™t have a rock plate unlike the Lone Peaks. Why is that? Does the extra cushioning make the rock plate superfluous on the Olympus?

The new Lone Peak 6 has been released at $140 USD and is available on rei.com and elsewhere. The LP 5's are probably discounted to $96.93 by REI because of this. The 6's don't seem to have any very major changes, but there are reviews online if you want more info.

I have the LP 5's in a men's size Wide which I really love. Though I'm female, these fit my very wide feet just perfectly. The men's LP 5's in Wide appear to be sold out on REI.com.

I want to try on the Altra Olympus because of the extra cushioning, but I'd have to order them online so I haven't gotten around to this yet. I'm not sure if they'd be wide enough.

I know a lot of people are against carrying the extra 22 ounces of weight for a second pair of shoes, but that is what I plan to do for my Camino del Norte. I've been switching off during training between my LP 5's and my New Balance Fresh Foam Trail shoes in Extra Wide which have more cushioning and traction. My feet love it that I switch off between these two brands, and with a 500+ mile Camino in my plans, when my feet speak, I listen!

ā‚¬2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'd go with the thicker sole of the Olympus. I did the Camino in a pair of Lone Peaks and the thin sole was uncomfortable when walking on gravel roads and trails.

That's what I'm finding trialling a pair.
Very thin soles.
They feel like ballet shoes compared to other shoes.

One of the founders of Altra gives precise information on the 2022 line in this YouTube video. He talks a lot about the stack heights of the various models (not always what they appear from the outside) as well as the composition of the midsole. I found it quite useful.

One of the founders of Altra gives precise information on the 2022 line in this YouTube video. He talks a lot about the stack heights of the various models (not always what they appear from the outside) as well as the composition of the midsole. I found it quite useful.
Watching the video, it sounds like Altra's new shoe - the Out Road might be ideal for Camino conditions because it's designed to go from asphalt to gravel to trails. It's at 5:25 on the video. I think that he said that it's not available yet, but will be soon.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I found that TIMP-3 was more comfortable on rocky surface on Primativo than LP. I find LP just doesn't have padding required now that I have had bursitis in heel. Did not miss rockplate.

I've also recently been dealing with heel bursitis, and am now wondering if the lack of cushioning in my beloved LP's is making things worse (or at least not helping my condition improve) - which means I'll be giving the Olympus an even closer look as my CF start date gets closer.

I know this is slightly off topic, I was very impressed with Hoka SpeedGoat 4 I tried on at REI last week and I think the upcoming SG 5 version will allow for more stretch up front and a bit more breathable. Iā€™ll likely have 2 pairs for my LePuy to Santiago trip this year, by sending the second pair to SJPDP.

Watching the video, it sounds like Altra's new shoe - the Out Road might be ideal for Camino conditions because it's designed to go from asphalt to gravel to trails. It's at 5:25 on the video. I think that he said that it's not available yet, but will be soon.
Watched it from your marker and he said June 2022 so thatā€™s pretty good! It does sound perfect. Thanks!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have some problems with arthritis in my big toes, and the podiatrist suggested that I try ā€œrockerā€ soles to help diminish the pain. A Search on the Altra website didnā€™t yield any info. Anybody have any suggestions?
Thank you.

I have some problems with arthritis in my big toes, and the podiatrist suggested that I try ā€œrockerā€ soles to help diminish the pain. A Search on the Altra website didnā€™t yield any info.
I don't think that Altras aren designed with rocker style soles. Have you searched for "rocker soled shoes?" I found quite a few sites, such as this one.

A brand that is known for rocker soles is MBT

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I don't think that Altras aren designed with rocker style soles. Have you searched for "rocker soled shoes?" I found quite a few sites, such as this one.

A brand that is known for rocker soles is MBT

Thank you for the links. Although, I guess what I really wanted to know is if someone had experience doing through hikes with these kinds of soles and if they helped with toe problems. Iā€™m going be buying some new trail runners shortlyā€¦.. I think Iā€™ll start a new threadā€¦

I want to try on the Altra Olympus because of the extra cushioning, but I'd have to order them online so I haven't gotten around to this yet. I'm not sure if they'd be wide enough.

Thanks to some credit burning a hole in my REI account, I decided to take a chance on a pair of Olympus 4s after posting my response to @BombayBill's thread last week and couldn't be happier so far. Like you I have a wide foot - the LP 5 wides were pretty much ideal for me and I was hesitant that the Olympuses wouldn't be wide enough.

Out of the box they felt much heavier and more substantial than my LP's - almost to the extent of feeling "boatlike". But after dialing in the lacing (a heel lock lacing technique is crucial with these, I think) and swapping out my midweight Darn Tough socks for their lighter weight counterparts, they are just about the most comfortable trail runners I've ever worn. Plenty of room for my wide feet, and the toebox is not only at least as wide as my previous Altras but also seems to have more room heightwise as well.

I took them for a couple of 5-6 mile hikes this weekend and my feet feel fantastic - the extra cushioning really makes a big difference. Only time will tell how they handle longer distances, of course, and I intend to gradually ramp up how long and far I wear them well in advance of starting my first CF in early May. But even at this early stage I'd definitely recommend giving them a try, especially if you can order them from somewhere that makes returns easy if they don't work out for you.

have some problems with arthritis in my big toes, and the podiatrist suggested that I try ā€œrockerā€ soles to help diminish the pain. A Search on the Altra website didnā€™t yield any info. Anybody have any suggestions?

See above re: the "taller" toe box on the Altra Olympus 4s. While the Olympus are not true rocker-type shoes, they do have a more rounded heel than previous Altra models I've owned and the difference is noticable - my stride in them feels smoother and (yes) more "rounded" somehow. That plus the roomier toe box might provide the relief you're looking for. Again, maybe worth a try if you can test-drive (test-walk?) a pair from a retailer with an easy return policy.

Last edited:
Thanks to some credit burning a hole in my REI account, I decided to take a chance on a pair of Olympus 4s after posting my response to @BombayBill's thread last week and couldn't be happier so far. Like you I have a wide foot - the LP 5 wides were pretty much ideal for me and I was hesitant that the Olympuses wouldn't be wide enough.

Out of the box they felt much heavier and more substantial than my LP's - almost to the extent of feeling "boatlike". But after dialing in the lacing (a heel lock lacing technique is crucial with these, I think) and swapping out my midweight Darn Tough socks for their lighter weight counterparts, they are just about the most comfortable trail runners I've ever worn. Plenty of room for my wide feet, and the toebox is not only at least as wide as my previous Altras but also seems to have more room heightwise as well.

I took them for a couple of 5-6 mile hikes this weekend and my feet feel fantastic - the extra cushioning really makes a big difference. Only time will tell how they handle longer distances, of course, and I intend to gradually ramp up how long and far I wear them well in advance of starting my first CF in early May. But even at this early stage I'd definitely recommend giving them a try, especially if you can order them from somewhere that makes returns easy if they don't work out for you.
Wow! Thanks so much for posting about your experience with the Altra Olympus! I'm even more excited about trying them out nowbecause they sound like exactly what I am looking for.

I just remembered that REI lets you order a couple sizes online which I can have them deliver to my small-sized local REI that doesn't carry Olympus. I can pick them up and try them on right at the store to see which size fits best, and if I bring home a pair and they aren't working out I can return them to my local store.

I'm wondering if you purchased the same size Olympus as your Altra Lone Peak Wide? I was thinking maybe I might need to go up a half or whole size since Olympus doesn't come in Wide.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm wondering if you purchased the same size Olympus as your Altra Lone Peak Wide? I was thinking maybe I might need to go up a half or whole size since Olympus doesn't come in Wide.

Glad my post was helpful! My new Olympuses are the same size (Men's US 11) as my previous Lone Peaks, which were already a bit on the large side for me (in an ideal world I'd wear a size 10.75) but allowed the ideal amount of wiggle room for inevitable foot swelling without feeling too "slidey" or unstable. So I'd try staying with the size you wear for your Lone Peak 5 Wides, and maybe consider wearing a thinner sock than you usually do if you feel you need a little extra room. (I can't say enough good things about Darn Tough in general and their Light Hiker line of socks in particular, which for me are the absolute perfect blend of fit, cushioning, and breathability - and of course their lifetime guarantee is tops.)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Iā€™m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use whatā€™s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Iā€™ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which Iā€™m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.