• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Am I packing too much?

Well done!! Sounds like a good list for clothes.
Tops - I usually take one warmer long sleeve, one medium weight short sleeve and one very light weight sleeveless merino shirts. I don’t wear long sleeve for the sun. You don’t have to wash merino every day.
Pullover? Do you mean fleece? A wind proof fleece is good. Or your rain jacket can be a layer for the wind.
I only took two bras. Two undies.
Watch out for the extras - toiletries etc. they can add more weight than clothes.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Jodean - Please say more about the reason for a knee-length fleece jacket.
I'll be on the CF Sept 20 to Nov. 1 and I am trying to decide on my warmest layer.
Thanks!

I bought gloves and found to my dismay that they were there only to warm hands without being waterproof. I was wringing those gloves every 30 minutes the other day when it was pouring.
Another possibility with cotton gloves is to find a pair of latex/rubber gloves to wear over top the cotton. Not breathable but hey, I'd rather be warm than cold. Of course that doesn't take into account the potential for sweat. One trick I learned with any cold appendage is to rotate/swing it about quickly. So with cold hands, swing your arms like a propeller 360 degrees, and this will warm them up really well .

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
That’s an excellent idea. Thank you.

I realise that each individual is different in terms of likes and dislikes. I walked the Camino Aragonese and it poured down two days in a row. Knowing that Galicia and northern Spain has a tendency to have rainfall during many months, I would suggest KEEPING the rain pants.

Looks about right for 10 days.

Things I wouldn't do the Camino again without:

- Tape to strap my feet (I religiously strapped my feet every morning. The blisters still came but they weren't so bad)
- Gators (stops sand getting in your shoes. I had this problem after the first two weeks when my legs were tired and my stride got lazy. Sand/Pebbles + blisters were hell. May not be needed for a shorter walk)
- Good earplugs (and spares, those things get lost in the night)
- a pillowcase (I didn't take one and wished I had)
- a bum bag (to keep phone, passport, credit card and money separate with easy access. It went down to the bottom of my sleeping bag by my feet when I slept at night)
- my water bottle attachment (image attached) so I could keep my water bottle in my side pouch and drink without taking my backpack off)
- hat
- dry sacks (I had three sizes: small medium and large, allowed me to compartmentalize everything in my back pack and everything stayed dry)
- sunscreen
- a length of washing line and pegs (I would string it round my lower bunk bed and hang my washing out to dry)

Enjoy it! Buen Camino!

Attachments

• 20141003_174849.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20230512_121104_Gallery.jpg
    564.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 20141020_123808.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 7
  • 20141010_090235.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 9
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I was all set on my packing list, but now I'm realizing that it might be too hot to wear hiking pants.
(I will walk MAY 8 - JUNE 21. Frances-Salvador-Primitivo)
So, questions:

1. I'm planning on bringing, 1 hiking pants, 1 capri leggings, and 1 shorts (shorts and leggings will work as pijamas)

Should I trade the hiking pants for another pair of shorts?
2 shorts and 1 leggings? or
1 short and 1 leggings will be enough?

2. Is there really places to swim in Camino Frances - Salvador - Primitivo? Or should I just skip the 2 pieces swimsuit? The top part could double as a top.

I hope someone can help with their insights thank you !!

If the hiking pants have a zip off portion then they should be ok. I walked Camino Francés many years ago in late May /June. I initially shipped some stuff home and then had to buy a fleece in Atapuerca. Maybe shorts or leggings but not both?

If the hiking pants have a zip off portion then they should be ok. I walked Camino Francés many years ago in late May /June. I initially shipped some stuff home and then had to buy a fleece in Atapuerca. Maybe shorts or leggings but not both?
I do not have zip off pants (and won't get them as I already spent too much in shoes, socks and that), they are light cargo pants.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Unless you are slathering your legs with sunscreen and reapplying throughout the day, the long pants offer more sun protection and you can roll them up to capri length, when conditions are right, to get some air flow. Were it me, I would take the long pants and the shorts.

Also, if you have other questions about your kit, it is would be good to start a thread of you own. Maybe post your packing list and invite comments/suggestions.

Also, if you have other questions about your kit, it is would be good to start a thread of you own. Maybe post your packing list and invite comments/suggestions.
Yes, this is what I was trying to avoid, adding a new thread (I think there are plenty already with great information, didn't want to repeat over again the same thing), but well, I will do.

Sound ok. If you get desperate you could always take a pair of scissors to them and make shorts. Just joking.
That's true! I can always turn the pants into shorts, but not the other way around! hahah

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Perfect IMO.. also covers you for any cool early starts and cooler evenings .

Most read last week in this forum