• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help! Pack too heavy! — CF Sept & Oct — Senior Woman

Back recently from my 4th Camino Frances, and and came across this thread. In scrolling through the posts, I didn't see what the OP's actual pack weight was. As I have posted several times previously, the 10% "rule" means almost nothing given the range of pilgrim body weights and physical condition. I carried a Stratos 24L that weighed in at 13 lbs. Probably could have gotten down to 12 but I wanted to bring an iPad mini in addition to a few other non-essentials, and still had extra room.

Ms. Thyme, like many if not most things in life, less is more.

Nevertheless, I did see some mighty big and heavy packs--from 50 to 80L whose contents were often straining at the pack fabric. I kept thinking I would become well enough acquainted with one of those pack owners that would allow me to actually see what was in one of those behemoths. Anecdotally, it seemed that the French were carrying the largest packs while Spaniards had coalesced around a 30L.

On a side note, I walked a relatively slow Camino this time, departing Saint Jean May 23 and arriving SDC July 1. Although there was the usually influx of pilgrims after Sarria, it was not crowded--never saw a traffic jam or a conga line. In one of my new favorite in-between places, Villares de Orbigo, I was the only one at the very hospitable and charming Albergue Villares de Orbigo. I did see some rowdy school/church youth groups in Santiago. One day sitting in that outdoor section of the final bar on Rue de Franco (adjacent to Praza de Fonseca) before the entrance to Praza de Obradoiro, a large and very noisy school/church youth group came marching by with banners and flags and in their excitement at being so near started running and cheering towards the Praza. It was highly loud and disruptive . . and it was glorious. At that moment I think I was the only non-Spaniard sitting there. The entire outdoor seating customers burst into applause. Spain. Spaniards. They get it.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I met a senior couple who had walked many a camino. They carried almost nothing. Backpacks like teabags. A water bottle. Phone, charger, passport, credit card.

They know the routes, and they found accommodation where they could wash their clothes as and when. They had one really good quality outfit. Usually it was dry within an hour, due to fine Spanish weather.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have to give up!
there is no mention of the total weight of the proposed packing , nor of your own weight...
No sense in being too shy about these details, you are amongst friends...

The is no actual, official 10% rule, just a mere rule of thumb.
Imagine you were of small stature and the rule of thumb would be nonsensical...
If packed, does it then feel overly too heavy, is there room for improvement through training etc ?

I sometimes carry the ten percent of what I used to weigh !
I sweat but I have what I need and that is my own business !!

Last edited:
Carry what you can comfortably carry. Fill the rucksack up and walk for an hour or two. Do it a couple of times. Still comfortable? Yes, then just get on with life. No, remove stuff.

One thing to maybe consider it does get cold at night in October. My first camino I carried a rather heavy two season sleeping bag and I was cold on more than one occasion. The next year I invested in a mid range and very light three season (10-15C) and have never looked back. Weighs about 1kg (Decathlon Forclaz MT500). Made an inner sheet from a double flat sheet.

Hello fellow pilgrims. First, I know this is a lenghthy post, so thank you for taking the time to read it.

I begin walking from SJPdP on Sept. 1st. My flight home is Nov. 3rd. I've given myself two full months — Sept & Oct — to get to SdC.

I'm 64, I had knee replacement surgery last July (2022). In the previous 12 years I've had an ACL replaced, a ruptured achilles repaired and an FHL tendon transfer on the other achilles, and tears in both meniscuses. I’m still very active with weight training and cardio, but want to use extra caution while so far from home. I want to take my time and carry as little weight as possible.

I've been buying my gear over the last year and checking items off my list as I bought them. I just weighed my pack and it’s WAY, WAY over the 10% body weight rule!!

It occurred to me that I’m packing for two seasons based on my hometown weather in Albany, NY. It can be very warm at the start of September and very cool at the end of October.

If you’ve walked during these months, could you please look at my list and tell me what I could do without? Also, as a side note, I prefer cooler weather over hot weather which is why I only lasted 18 months in Florida before coming back to the northeast. :) I tend to run warm!

I know I'm starting with a heavy pack but it’s what I have. I’m not buying a new one.
Osprey Aura 50L 3 lbs. (1.36kg)

All of my clothing was purchased in person at hiking/outdoor stores. Although I didn’t weigh each piece, I made sure to get VERY LIGHT, MOISTURE-WICKING material for outerwear and underwear.

Clothing:

2 pairs of long hiking pants
2 long sleeve lightweight shirts SPF 50
2 pairs of hiking shorts
2 hiking t-shirts
1 tank top

3 pairs underwear
2 sports bras
3 pairs merino wool socks

1 lightweight fleece
1 very lightweight rain jacket
Sun hat with under chin strap (like an Aussie hat)

Keen sandals
Altra Trail Runners

Other stuff:

Duck Back rain cover for pack
Silk pre-treated bed liner
Small light hiking towel and washcloth

Electric converter and phone charger
Headlamp
Baggie-sized first-aid kit
Platypus water bladder
Shower bag with S-hook
Sunscreen

Thank you again for your time and knowledge. I look forward to the time when I’ll be helping those in need of guidance in the future.

Thyme
I'd say you don't need the shorts (2 long pants including one pair zip offs will serve you well). No need for a tank top. I had ankle reconstruction 2 yrs before my camino when I was 64. I did the camino to Fisterra in 32 days so you have allowed your self to average a reasonable distance daily and resting days for your camino. Well done. I'm not sure why you are taking a shower bag? Not necessary since all albergues have showers.
Wash with shampoo then you don't need body wash or soap. I used my headlamp at night at times to find the bathroom. Also if you leave early in the morning you may need it. I had a poncho that fit over my pack and me. Poles are essential. Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yeah, there was more stuff, but it seemed like I had a lot of clothes. I’ll be carrying a lot in my fanny pack. It has 3 zipped compartments and can hold quite a bit. And of course there’s deodorant, powder, body soap, hand sanitizer, my asthma medicine, hair brush, body lotion, toothpaste, etc…. I’ll wait until I get there to buy toothpaste.
You don’t need all that stuff. Tooth brush, dental floss, tiny bar of soap/shampoo, small cream & meds. 2 table spoons foot powder in a baggie. Carry 1 change of clothes in case you get wet, 3 pairs of socks, very light flip flops or sandals. I also carried a 700 gr down sleeping bag as it gets quiet cold at night. wore a very light silk long underwear, not while walking though. Wore light down jacket, could put on my change of clothes plus rain jacket if very cold. Always wore gloves, fingerless & with fingers and used walking sticks. Worked fine I am a 73 old woman with heart issues, walked feb-March 2022. Pack was less than 10 lbs not including sticks. I weigh 130 lbs.

That is where I suspect a lot of your weight is. If you really can´t do without any of them, look for travel size containers. You can replenish in supermarkets as you go.
I agree, these items really increase the pack weight. I carry 1/2 of a Dr. Bronner's 3 in 1 soap and use it for hair, body, and clothes washing. I bring a very small sunscreen stick and a travel-sized toothpaste. No other items are brought (I have short hair and do not use a brush/comb).

Hello fellow pilgrims. First, I know this is a lenghthy post, so thank you for taking the time to read it.

I begin walking from SJPdP on Sept. 1st. My flight home is Nov. 3rd. I've given myself two full months — Sept & Oct — to get to SdC.

I'm 64, I had knee replacement surgery last July (2022). In the previous 12 years I've had an ACL replaced, a ruptured achilles repaired and an FHL tendon transfer on the other achilles, and tears in both meniscuses. I’m still very active with weight training and cardio, but want to use extra caution while so far from home. I want to take my time and carry as little weight as possible.

I've been buying my gear over the last year and checking items off my list as I bought them. I just weighed my pack and it’s WAY, WAY over the 10% body weight rule!!

It occurred to me that I’m packing for two seasons based on my hometown weather in Albany, NY. It can be very warm at the start of September and very cool at the end of October.

If you’ve walked during these months, could you please look at my list and tell me what I could do without? Also, as a side note, I prefer cooler weather over hot weather which is why I only lasted 18 months in Florida before coming back to the northeast. :) I tend to run warm!

I know I'm starting with a heavy pack but it’s what I have. I’m not buying a new one.

All of my clothing was purchased in person at hiking/outdoor stores. Although I didn’t weigh each piece, I made sure to get VERY LIGHT, MOISTURE-WICKING material for outerwear and underwear.

Clothing:

2 pairs of hiking shorts
2 hiking t-shirts
1 tank top

3 pairs underwear
2 sports bras

1 lightweight fleece

Keen sandals
Altra Trail Runners

Other stuff:

Headlamp
Platypus water bladder
Shower bag with S-hook
Sunscreen

Thank you again for your time and knowledge. I look forward to the time when I’ll be helping those in need of guidance in the future.

Thyme
Hi Thyme

You had quite a lot maintenance on your legs.

Sept to Oct is a good time to walk
Even you plan quite a slow pace , but enjoy.
you will have warm,hot,rainy and colder days at the end.
The backpack you are about to use, is sensationail lightweight .
I guess you stay at albergues and you don't use package transportation.
Your day might be walking -resting - showering - laundry sleeping. If you do laundry every day you need only
2x underwear ( the one you wear included)
1x short pants
1x long hiking pants
2x socks (the one you wear included)
2x shirts
1x fleece (it's important, Do onion principle with T-Shirt,fleece and rain west)
1x rain west (only synthetic thin lightweight)
1x rain trousers ((only synthetic thin lightweight)
1x hiking towel ( lightweight , fast drying !!! )
1x rain cover for backpack
1x sunhat
1 pair of simple Flip Flops
personally i prefer 500ml PET bottle to refill with water (?)Do you really need 2 bras (sorry for this stupid question)

Electron charger
Smartphone
Earplugs

Shower bag (I always had nearly 1 kg as a man)

In total you should be able to have a weight load of 6 kg
incl. backpack , without shoes

I also recommend a waist bag for fast access and documents Heavy rain cloth with all special effects is not useful. You sweat anyway so use lightweight one.
If you experience wet underwear or shirts from the laundry day before it is no problem . Wear it wet, it will be drying on your body in minutes

Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Clothing:

2 pairs of hiking shorts
2 hiking t-shirts
1 tank top

3 pairs underwear
2 sports bras

1 lightweight fleece

Keen sandals
Altra Trail Runners

Other stuff:

Headlamp
Platypus water bladder
Shower bag with S-hook
Sunscreen

Thyme
Hi Thyme. I did the Camino Frances mid September to mid October last year. I also know your Albany weather and understand your challenges with joints. The weather is actually quite good these months. September had very warm to hot conditions, then once in Galacia it was a little cooler and damper. I used a light fleece alit in the morning, then peeled it off and was comfortable with a wicking short sleeve shirt rest of day. Recommend only 1 pair of long pants, 2 shorts, 3 shirts, 1 long sleeve shirt. Delete headlamp, keens (too heavy). Replace keens with lightweight sandals-I used Oofos for recovery afterwards. The trail is rough and rocky in the mountains and with your orthopedic conditions I would stick to your trail runners while on the trail. You will need water, but see what is lighter-your bladder bag or a refillable water bottle. Plenty of options to fill bottles on the way. All the best- it was an incredible experience for me!

Clothing:

2 pairs of hiking shorts
2 hiking t-shirts
1 tank top

3 pairs underwear
2 sports bras

1 lightweight fleece

Keen sandals
Altra Trail Runners

Other stuff:

Headlamp
Platypus water bladder
Shower bag with S-hook
Sunscreen

Thyme
May I respectfully suggest only 1 sports bra replacing the second with a light bra/top to wear when you are washing the sports bra.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I agree with the suggestions here for streamlining your clothing list. Our packs were too heavy at beginning of our first Camino and we ended up sending a box ahead from Correos in Burgos to SdC.

I am in my mid-60's and have arthritis in my right knee and possible knee tears that have not been imaged or operated on. I've had physical therapy and worn an OTC knee brace. Last summer I walked SJPD to Sarria and had to stop walking just over O Cebreiro because I developed tibial tendonitis in lower R leg. Our stages were longer than yours, approx 10-12 mi per day. I stayed in Spain and carried on by bus, van and taxi, keeping up with friends and family completing the Camino. For me that was OK, I am fluent in Spanish and I could still sightsee (with a walking pole), practice my Spanish, have marvelous food, etc. I had treatments from a marvelous PT in Arzua.

This June I returned to finish the Frances (Triacastela via Samos to SdC), carrying same pack with streamlined contents, and shorter stages, mostly 6-8 mi per day, but we did walk up to 11 mi some days. I had no tendonitis or knee pain, but some swelling and hiker's rash in lower L leg and foot. It did not keep me from walking. We stopped in to say hi to the PT I saw last year and she was so appreciative that we thought to visit her.

I have always carried my pack (Gregory Jade 38) and it is somewhat a matter of pride with me (perhaps misplaced), but I would encourage you to consider baggage transport, not as a definite, but as an option ~ and an option you can decide to use once you've already started your Camino. I am encouraging myself to consider baggage transport for future Caminos given my age and knee/leg challenges.

Sorry I can't comment on weight of pack and items. Because of a history of eating disorder in early adulthood, I don't weigh myself very often, don't own a scale and prefer not to get into precise weight of items in my pack. I base my packing on suggested packing lists and the feel and comfort of individual items and my pack as a whole.

Buen Camino ~
Hello Dem,

Thank you very much for your email. I just got a new Gregory Jade 38 pack and am looking forward to using it on the Rota Vicentina.

all the best, Tacey

Thyme: I walked the Camino just as I turned 65. I learned half way through that you should ship your heavy bag to tour next stop and keep your essentials in a smaller back pack. I found this very helpful as it diminished the wear and tear on my knees and feet. I would also advise you to ensure your are wearing the proper socks to avoir blisters. I Hope this is if some hope and maybe we see each other as I will be back in October. Good luck

Mike

There have been a lot of suggestions about how to drop the weight. I will just say you need a lot less than most people think... the early pilgrims took a lot less than we do today with less services along the way and survived.

each person is different but 10% a good starting point. My wife and I did long walks with no pack and then the same route with various weights. She found that around 5% of her bodyweight (6lb pack) she had the same fatigue as no pack.

When walking the camino her pack was under 6lb, mine typically under 8lb https://verber.com/camino-packing/ when doing the camino in may which should have similar conditions to your trip

I will also say that no matter how much you prepare, the camino will likely have some sort of surprise for you. Hold your plans loosely and be willing to update your plans as you go.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Clothing:

2 pairs of hiking shorts
2 hiking t-shirts
1 tank top

3 pairs underwear
2 sports bras

1 lightweight fleece

Keen sandals
Altra Trail Runners

Other stuff:

Headlamp
Platypus water bladder
Shower bag with S-hook
Sunscreen

Thyme
First of all, I think that "10% of body weight" rule is not a rule. You would have to buy all new ultra-light gear to meet it. It is a suggested guideline, but in neither of my caminos did I meet it and I was older than you both times. Also, it would not include food or water. Personally I would lose one pair of long pants and some of the shirts. That time of year I would take one long sleeved shirt, one t shirt and the tank top (that can all be layered under the fleece). Be careful of the weight of your shower bag, its hook and its contents and the size of your sunscreen which can be readily replenished on the Camino. Newer phone chargers can be much lighter weight.

Thyme: I walked the Camino just as I turned 65. I learned half way through that you should ship your heavy bag to tour next stop and keep your essentials in a smaller back pack. I found this very helpful as it diminished the wear and tear on my knees and feet. I would also advise you to ensure your are wearing the proper socks to avoir blisters. I Hope this is if some hope and maybe we see each other as I will be back in October. Good luck

Mike
That's something to keep in mind, but I know plenty of older pilgrims (including myself) who have no issues carrying all of their own gear.

This year 8 did bring a very lightweight bag from Osprey that I could off-load some items into to ship ahead if necessary, but in 40+ days on the Francés, Norte and Primitivo at age 65 I never needed to use it.

Clothing:

2 pairs of hiking shorts
2 hiking t-shirts
1 tank top

3 pairs underwear
2 sports bras

1 lightweight fleece

Keen sandals
Altra Trail Runners

Other stuff:

Headlamp
Platypus water bladder
Shower bag with S-hook
Sunscreen

Thyme
I hiked the Camino Frances in 10 September/17 October 2017. My knee replacement was in Oct 2016. Although the temps cool a little into October, not enough to warrant two seasons of clothing. I had one day outfit and one night time outfit. I washed my day clothes everyday upon arriving at the Albergue. That means...two bottoms and two shirts. I had one pair of light weight hiking pants and one skort. For tops - One long sleeved sun shirt that I wore every day. In the evening, I had a lightweight fast dry t-shirt with long sleeve hiking shirt to wear over. I also had a very lightweight pair of leggings that I wore with my tshirt as pajamas, or under my skirt if the evening was chilly. Two pair underwear, two bras, two pair socks. For your shoes - make sure you are wearing the trail runners, and then have the sandals in your pack. I did have a lightweight down jacket that folded up into it's pocket as well as a light weight rain jacket. I also had a light weight sleeping bag. My pack was a 40 L Osprey. All packed up it weighed 13 pounds without water. You might weigh your pack empty. Make sure you are not wasting weight on your pack.

Yes, you get tired of your clothes.... but you really do not need more than two outfits.

Buen Camino,
Jane

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I was really replying to the OP’s
I’ll be carrying a lot in my fanny pack.

But on the topic of security (and not wanting to promote unnecessary concern) I’d advise not concentrating all your essential valuables in one place.

Many years ago I very nearly killed myself sprinting (those were the days) after a shared taxi in Turkey; Mrs HtD having unbuckled her waist pack whilst seated and left it on board. Having overtaken (on foot) a motor scooter, the rider pulled alongside and through the medium of mime offered me a lift. We intercepted the taxi half a mile down the road.

Spread your stuff around.
Or don't unbuckle your bag.

Clothing:

2 pairs of hiking shorts
2 hiking t-shirts
1 tank top

3 pairs underwear
2 sports bras

1 lightweight fleece

Keen sandals
Altra Trail Runners

Other stuff:

Headlamp
Platypus water bladder
Shower bag with S-hook
Sunscreen

Thyme
To be on the safe side and in peace I suggest you use a shipping service lik ePilbeo, or Correos. It's only about 4 or 5 Euros a day and you can feel at peace and be able to really enjoy the Camino. That's what I do. It's ok. It's your Camino. Buen Camino

Don’t forget that some of the stuff you’ll be wearing so that will make it a little less heavy. Drop the platypus.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
That is where I suspect a lot of your weight is. If you really can´t do without any of them, look for travel size containers. You can replenish in supermarkets as you go.
Men are different to women in this respect it seems, but I agree that some of these items could be painlessly discarded, such as powder/body lotion/hand sanitiser. Unless of course the OP has a genuine reason for packing these things. Another suggestion above recommends trousers that convert to shorts via zip-off legs. I have found them very versatile, although since they are my only trousers it can be a ticklish situation when doing my washing. In future, after many caminos, I will be packing a pair of ultra light-weight running shorts for this contingency.

These hydration tubes are a life saver. Just connect it to a lightweight disposable water bottle that you refill until eventually you replace it. The bottle stays in your pack and the hose clips to a pack strap with the mouthpiece ready when you want it.

Screenshot 2023-07-22 at 9.57.00 PM.png
Don't ditch the headlamp. You may not think you'll need it, but you will, and contrary to common belief, you can't just find one anywhere along the Camino.

There are pharmacies everywhere. Bring real small bottles of lotions, shampoo, etc and refill along the way.

Always carry food and account for that weight.

If your pack is too heavy when you get there, you'll figure out what to ditch. It's very unlikely that you'll need warm clothes until after the meseta, 2/3 of the way to Santiago, especially because you run hot. Then pick up a sweatshirt when you do.

It's a walk, not a wilderness backpacking trek. Food is available all along the way. In four full Caminos and a partial (2200 miles) other than once in a while carrying a nectarine, I have never carried food. Maybe one would want to bring something from Orisson, but otherwise you are never more than three hours between villages/towns. On less traveled Caminos, there maybe be stages/sections where it would be a good idea to carry food, but not the Frances. And where there is food, there is water. It's not an expedition.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Just in case you don't know:
You can use baggage transport as and when (or if) you need it. You just need to decide the night before, and have some sort of container in which stuff can be transported.
Practically every town in Spain has a "Bazar Chines" or similar name. These are remarkable for their range of stock and low prices. I once lost my comb, tried five shops which had none, then found a bazar which offered no less than 17 different types of comb.
Buen Camino

Clothing:

2 pairs of hiking shorts
2 hiking t-shirts
1 tank top

3 pairs underwear
2 sports bras

1 lightweight fleece

Keen sandals
Altra Trail Runners

Other stuff:

Headlamp
Platypus water bladder
Shower bag with S-hook
Sunscreen

Thyme
if it were my pack I’d get rid of one pair of hiking pants and the shower bag and head lamp. Most cell phones have a flash light.

Clothing:

2 pairs of hiking shorts
2 hiking t-shirts
1 tank top

3 pairs underwear
2 sports bras

1 lightweight fleece

Keen sandals
Altra Trail Runners

Other stuff:

Headlamp
Platypus water bladder
Shower bag with S-hook
Sunscreen

Thyme
Yes, as others are suggesting - less clothing. Most pilgrims wash clothes as part of their routine everyday. So take less. It dries quick, even in colder times. 1 pair of trousers, 1 pair of lightweight sports shorts, an after hours light outfit/dress that doesn’t get worn hiking will suffice. A couple of t-shirts and one long sleeve. I would bring the socks, as rotation during the day is good if you’re getting blisters or wet feet. I know it feels like it’s not enough, but your feet and back will thank you for it. It is ok. People discard things along the way, and besides too many toiletries these are the first things to go.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Clothing:

2 pairs of hiking shorts
2 hiking t-shirts
1 tank top

3 pairs underwear
2 sports bras

1 lightweight fleece

Keen sandals
Altra Trail Runners

Other stuff:

Headlamp
Platypus water bladder
Shower bag with S-hook
Sunscreen

Thyme
Your packing list looks reasonable. Maybe remove 1 pair of pants, 1 long sleeve shirt, and 1 shirt sleeve shirt. My wife and I walked in May/June and found we could get by on less clothes with daily hand washing/drying. My wife's pack was about 12.5% of her body weight and she was fine. Pack weight also goes up a bit when you load it with a full water bottle and snacks/B'fast/lunch for the day. Buen Camino!

A few tips for lightening the load of the “other stuff”
I have a fantastic paddle brush “WET BRUSH” that my really fine hair simply can’t go without… fortunately the company makes a very small, light-weight version that you can get on Amazon (it will fit in the palm of your hand but still do the work of a paddle).

If you are to be gone a full two months, just take a small travel toothpaste and get new as you go along (I did the math on dry tooth tabs vs. tubes and the tubes win as compared to carrying anything over 2 weeks‘ worth of tabs).
Double up a hair conditioner bar as my shaving bar (if you don’t do legs and pits then this won’t apply, but still: it might for others), and one can have travel sized Gillette women’s razor (same blade, very short handle). I carry 2 epi-pens but only one hard travel-case to protect the one I keep in the exterior pocket that attaches to my pack.
Shampoo bar rather than liquid, and it works as body soap.
True-earth laundry detergent strips (I take 3 strips per week and put them in the very smallest “snack size” ziplock).
Anyway… have to run because it’s time for St. James‘ Feast Day mass!
Buen camino and DM me if you would like more tips about how to cut weight and stay comfy.
I too am a small woman…

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Mike
Hi Mike, Yes, I've heard from several people about shipping my bag ahead. I'll have to find out more about it when I get there. I'm sure that I will take advantage of that service especially during the first week or two.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A bit of a summary of suggestions:
The 10% thing is simply something someone came up with as an opinion long ago and it is now quoted as a RULE. ;) . It is a good place to start. But simple logic will tell you that a small woman will have an impossible time using it. The only important thing is your ability to carry the weight day after day. Train with your pack as often as you can using water bottles for weight in your pack. A normal .5 ltr bottle of water in the US weighs about 1 lb.
Hopefully, you are not including the clothes you will be wearing in the total weight.:cool:

We all struggle with the pack weight even after many Caminos. It is part of the deal.

1. Take only 2 sets of clothes. Wear one and carry one. One pair of pants should be zip off and serve as shorts.
2. Take only minimum underwear and socks and wash every night. This is a common ritual among most pilgrims.
3. Keep in mind that you can purchase almost anything you find you really need along the way. Examples are extra layers such as a fleece or shirt. Carrying the unused item for 35 days is a bummer.
4. You do not need an "electric converter" for Europe. All of your modern electronics are dual voltage and work in Europe. You simply need a charger with the two round plugs. (see Amazon)

Enjoy your adventure.
EXACTLY!! Well said.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Rojasa. I will walk in them if I need to. I have both Teva open-toe and Keen closed-toe sandals. I was initially leaning toward the open-toe Tevas until I noticed quite a difference in weight. The Keens are lighter. Plus the closed toe gives my piggies a little extra protection from rocks, etc.

Thank you for the advice. And everybody else’s! I had a feeling it was too many clothes. I will reduce to one long pants, one shorts, one long-sleeve, one short-sleeve and the tank top.

Is two bras and 3 underwear enough? And did you sleep in your next day’s clothes?

Thank you again.
And did you sleep in your next day’s clothes? YES! :)

Hello Dem,

Thank you very much for your email. I just got a new Gregory Jade 38 pack and am looking forward to using it on the Rota Vicentina.

all the best, Tacey
I love my Gregory Jade 38 - he’s Gregory the First, of the chants ~ have a great trip ~

Clothing:

2 pairs of hiking shorts
2 hiking t-shirts
1 tank top

3 pairs underwear
2 sports bras

1 lightweight fleece

Keen sandals
Altra Trail Runners

Other stuff:

Headlamp
Platypus water bladder
Shower bag with S-hook
Sunscreen

Thyme
I agree, too much clothing. You can always buy along the way if the weather turns too cold. I don't see a sleeping bag in your list. Buen camino. I assume the 2 bras means 1 to wear and 1 spare, same with the socks. Buen camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I would suggest weighing EVERYTHING and input each item and its weight into www.lighterpack.com - this tool allows you to mark what will be worn vs packed so you can plan accordingly. I would drop one of each of the shirts you have two of and drop items where you have three of. Toiletries and first aid should be minimalist in lightweight 50ml plastic bottles (no glass), dont carry bigger containers of anything, you can replace on route. Packliners become useless in driving Spanish rain at that time of year, consider picking up a Altus atmospheric poncho where you start as it covers you and the pack. I honestly think given your weight you may not be disclosing something like a book/guide/notebook etc, use your phone for reading/notes. In my winter 2019 camino i connected with a pilgrim with 3 thick paperback reads in the pack (dont do it). Reduce the number of stuff sacks, i would take a S2S drybag for key clothing and one for silk liner/sleeping bag, use a bin bag to line your pack for water, everything goes in there, stuff sacks add unnecesary weight.

Last edited:
Welcome.

As others have said, you’re over-equipped on the shorts and trousers department. Also ditch the headlamp. With two months to walk you’ll probably not be starting before dawn.

You have way more stuff than you’ve listed. Haven’t you? Or you’re very tiny?

Passport, money, tickets, phone, toiletries, poles

Anyway: you’ll love it.
On the headlamp question, I would bring one. Sunrise on the CF in September-October is between 8:00 and 9:00.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I’d ditch the Keen sandals. I’ve got a pans they’re great for cycling but walking on stones which easily get into your sandals and under your feet becomes a nuisance. I also found that they need constant cleaning on the inside otherwise they smell.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.