• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help! Pack too heavy! — CF Sept & Oct — Senior Woman

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept. 1, 2023 from SJPdP.
Hello fellow pilgrims. First, I know this is a lenghthy post, so thank you for taking the time to read it.

I begin walking from SJPdP on Sept. 1st. My flight home is Nov. 3rd. I've given myself two full months — Sept & Oct — to get to SdC.

I'm 64, I had knee replacement surgery last July (2022). In the previous 12 years I've had an ACL replaced, a ruptured achilles repaired and an FHL tendon transfer on the other achilles, and tears in both meniscuses. I’m still very active with weight training and cardio, but want to use extra caution while so far from home. I want to take my time and carry as little weight as possible.

I've been buying my gear over the last year and checking items off my list as I bought them. I just weighed my pack and it’s WAY, WAY over the 10% body weight rule!!

It occurred to me that I’m packing for two seasons based on my hometown weather in Albany, NY. It can be very warm at the start of September and very cool at the end of October.

If you’ve walked during these months, could you please look at my list and tell me what I could do without? Also, as a side note, I prefer cooler weather over hot weather which is why I only lasted 18 months in Florida before coming back to the northeast. :) I tend to run warm!

I know I'm starting with a heavy pack but it’s what I have. I’m not buying a new one.
Osprey Aura 50L 3 lbs. (1.36kg)

All of my clothing was purchased in person at hiking/outdoor stores. Although I didn’t weigh each piece, I made sure to get VERY LIGHT, MOISTURE-WICKING material for outerwear and underwear.

Clothing:

2 pairs of long hiking pants
2 long sleeve lightweight shirts SPF 50
2 pairs of hiking shorts
2 hiking t-shirts
1 tank top

3 pairs underwear
2 sports bras
3 pairs merino wool socks

1 lightweight fleece
1 very lightweight rain jacket
Sun hat with under chin strap (like an Aussie hat)

Keen sandals
Altra Trail Runners

Other stuff:

Duck Back rain cover for pack
Silk pre-treated bed liner
Small light hiking towel and washcloth

Electric converter and phone charger
Headlamp
Baggie-sized first-aid kit
Platypus water bladder
Shower bag with S-hook
Sunscreen

Thank you again for your time and knowledge. I look forward to the time when I’ll be helping those in need of guidance in the future.

Thyme

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The Osprey Aura 50L comes up as 2kg on the Osprey website. Still, this is pretty light considering its such a large volume backpack, and if this is comfortable, then great, stick with it, just don't be tempted to fill it up!
I'd also agree with the previous posters in that you could remove 1 x Long hiking pants, 1 x LS hiking shirt, 1 x hiking shorts and 1 x hiking t-shirt - that would be a great start at lightening your load.

Hello fellow pilgrims. First, I know this is a lenghthy post, so thank you for taking the time to read it.

I begin walking from SJPdP on Sept. 1st. My flight home is Nov. 3rd. I've given myself two full months — Sept & Oct — to get to SdC.

I'm 64, I had knee replacement surgery last July (2022). In the previous 12 years I've had an ACL replaced, a ruptured achilles repaired and an FHL tendon transfer on the other achilles, and tears in both meniscuses. I’m still very active with weight training and cardio, but want to use extra caution while so far from home. I want to take my time and carry as little weight as possible.

I've been buying my gear over the last year and checking items off my list as I bought them. I just weighed my pack and it’s WAY, WAY over the 10% body weight rule!!

It occurred to me that I’m packing for two seasons based on my hometown weather in Albany, NY. It can be very warm at the start of September and very cool at the end of October.

If you’ve walked during these months, could you please look at my list and tell me what I could do without? Also, as a side note, I prefer cooler weather over hot weather which is why I only lasted 18 months in Florida before coming back to the northeast. :) I tend to run warm!

I know I'm starting with a heavy pack but it’s what I have. I’m not buying a new one.

All of my clothing was purchased in person at hiking/outdoor stores. Although I didn’t weigh each piece, I made sure to get VERY LIGHT, MOISTURE-WICKING material for outerwear and underwear.

Clothing:

2 pairs of hiking shorts
2 hiking t-shirts
1 tank top

3 pairs underwear
2 sports bras

1 lightweight fleece

Keen sandals
Altra Trail Runners

Other stuff:

Headlamp
Platypus water bladder
Shower bag with S-hook
Sunscreen

Thank you again for your time and knowledge. I look forward to the time when I’ll be helping those in need of guidance in the future.

Thyme
Welcome.

As others have said, you’re over-equipped on the shorts and trousers department. Also ditch the headlamp. With two months to walk you’ll probably not be starting before dawn.

You have way more stuff than you’ve listed. Haven’t you? Or you’re very tiny?

Passport, money, tickets, phone, toiletries, poles

Anyway: you’ll love it.

Welcome.

As others have said, you’re over-equipped on the shorts and trousers department. Also ditch the headlamp. With two months to walk you’ll probably not be starting before dawn.

You have way more stuff than you’ve listed. Haven’t you? Or you’re very tiny?

Passport, money, tickets, phone, toiletries, poles

Anyway: you’ll love it.
Yeah, there was more stuff, but it seemed like I had a lot of clothes. I’ll be carrying a lot in my fanny pack. It has 3 zipped compartments and can hold quite a bit. And of course there’s deodorant, powder, body soap, hand sanitizer, my asthma medicine, hair brush, body lotion, toothpaste, etc…. I’ll wait until I get there to buy toothpaste.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello Thyme, I’m chiming in because we’re the same age with similar knees/lower legs and you’re walking the CF the same season I did in 2021. I was comfortable with one pr of zip-off pants, no shorts, half the tops (2 Tees and 1 l/s Shirt), although I did pack a thermal undershirt. And 2 buffs, many uses. (My jacket was a “nano puff“ type rather than fleece, which helped at the end of October - I run cold). Are you planning to walk in the Keens or just relax in them? If just relaxing, perhaps consider lighter-weight options? Otherwise you seem to have streamlined the contents well! Your timeframe is ample and will be kind to your tendons…Buen camino!

OK, well it’s a complicated time of year. It can be warm in September and cool off as you get into October; but you’ll be active during the day. Base layer, light fleece, waterproof should see you OK in the evening when you’re relaxing.

It will almost certainly be damp.

I’d carry as little in your waist-pack as you can - and don’t treat it as the one place you store your hard-to-replace valuables. Spread stuff around.

OK, well it’s a complicated time of year. It can be warm in September and cool off as you get into October; but you’ll be active during the day. Base layer, light fleece, waterproof should see you OK in the evening when you’re relaxing.

It will almost certainly be damp.

I’d carry as little in your waist-pack as you can - and don’t treat it as the one place you store your hard-to-replace valuables. Spread stuff around.
Confused by this advice? In my (tiny) bumbag/fanny pack I carried passport, bank cards, credential, phone, minimal cash and an apple air tag (may also have had tissues and my reading specs or not, depending on the day).. this bum bag/fanny/waist pack never came off me until I went to get undressed to get in an albergue shower. And then I took it with me!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Confused by this advice? In my (tiny) bumbag/fanny pack I carried passport, bank cards, credential, phone, minimal cash and an apple air tag (may also have had tissues and my reading specs or not, depending on the day).. this bum bag/fanny/waist pack never came off me until I went to get undressed to get in an albergue shower. And then I took it with me!
Realize AirTag in bumbag fairly pointless when phone also in bumbag. But also had AirTag in backpack. I’m a fan of the AirTag 😂

Hello Thyme, I’m chiming in because we’re the same age with similar knees/lower legs and you’re walking the CF the same season I did in 2021. I was comfortable with one pr of zip-off pants, no shorts, half the tops (2 Tees and 1 l/s Shirt), although I did pack a thermal undershirt. And 2 buffs, many uses. (My jacket was a “nano puff“ type rather than fleece, which helped at the end of October - I run cold). Are you planning to walk in the Keens or just relax in them? If just relaxing, perhaps consider lighter-weight options? Otherwise you seem to have streamlined the contents well! Your timeframe is ample and will be kind to your tendons…Buen camino!
Hi Rojasa. I will walk in them if I need to. I have both Teva open-toe and Keen closed-toe sandals. I was initially leaning toward the open-toe Tevas until I noticed quite a difference in weight. The Keens are lighter. Plus the closed toe gives my piggies a little extra protection from rocks, etc.

Thank you for the advice. And everybody else’s! I had a feeling it was too many clothes. I will reduce to one long pants, one shorts, one long-sleeve, one short-sleeve and the tank top.

Is two bras and 3 underwear enough? And did you sleep in your next day’s clothes?

Thank you again.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
A bit of a summary of suggestions:
The 10% thing is simply something someone came up with as an opinion long ago and it is now quoted as a RULE. ;) . It is a good place to start. But simple logic will tell you that a small woman will have an impossible time using it. The only important thing is your ability to carry the weight day after day. Train with your pack as often as you can using water bottles for weight in your pack. A normal .5 ltr bottle of water in the US weighs about 1 lb.
Hopefully, you are not including the clothes you will be wearing in the total weight.:cool:

We all struggle with the pack weight even after many Caminos. It is part of the deal.

1. Take only 2 sets of clothes. Wear one and carry one. One pair of pants should be zip off and serve as shorts.
2. Take only minimum underwear and socks and wash every night. This is a common ritual among most pilgrims.
3. Keep in mind that you can purchase almost anything you find you really need along the way. Examples are extra layers such as a fleece or shirt. Carrying the unused item for 35 days is a bummer.
4. You do not need an "electric converter" for Europe. All of your modern electronics are dual voltage and work in Europe. You simply need a charger with the two round plugs. (see Amazon)

Enjoy your adventure.

Last edited:
I always walk in the Fall - end Sept to about end Oct and sometimes into Nov. Usually, I mail a pkg of heavier clothing items to myself to Sahagun or Leon, and when I pick them up, send the lighter-weight things on to Santiago. Correos - Spanish Postal service is superb! I've never lost anything over the ten years I've been doing it. Be sure to mark the label (they will help you) as Peregrina - address it to yourself, from yourself. Get information from the correos office when you send as to the exact location of the receiving correos and their hours (i.e. Sahagun has a wonderful, but small office with limited hours).
Also, take only sample size toiletries, and restock at farmacias along the way.
Buen Camino!

I was really replying to the OP’s
I’ll be carrying a lot in my fanny pack.

But on the topic of security (and not wanting to promote unnecessary concern) I’d advise not concentrating all your essential valuables in one place.

Many years ago I very nearly killed myself sprinting (those were the days) after a shared taxi in Turkey; Mrs HtD having unbuckled her waist pack whilst seated and left it on board. Having overtaken (on foot) a motor scooter, the rider pulled alongside and through the medium of mime offered me a lift. We intercepted the taxi half a mile down the road.

Spread your stuff around.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank you for the advice. And everybody else’s! I had a feeling it was too many clothes. I will reduce to one long pants, one shorts, one long-sleeve, one short-sleeve and the tank top.

Is two bras and 3 underwear enough? And did you sleep in your next day’s clothes?
I have settled over the years on a simple pattern for clothing:
  • two sets of underwear, inner and middle layer garments, one being worn
  • one warm top layer, normally a fleece
  • a wind and waterproof layer
  • three or four pairs of liner and outer socks
  • gloves, hat, etc
  • shorts and tee-shirt for sleeping, although I have just used underwear and an inner layer tee-shirt that I wear the next day as well.
There are other things like toiletries.

I cannot comment about the bras, but I wouldn't normally carry three sets of anything. I do carry a sleeping bag and liner, and have only ever slept in my clothes once, and that was to finish drying them before walking in them the next day.

ps I continue to be amused by the many members, mainly I think from North America, who don't realise that for the other part of the English speaking world, the word 'fanny' is a rather pejorative and crude reference to a woman's genitalia, generally never used in polite company where they come from.

deodorant, powder, body soap, hand sanitizer, my asthma medicine, hair brush, body lotion, toothpaste, etc…
That is where I suspect a lot of your weight is. If you really can´t do without any of them, look for travel size containers. You can replenish in supermarkets as you go.

I echo @dick bird .
Toiletries are heavy.
Ditch a lot of that, it's really not as essential as you might think. Toothbrush, toothpaste, a bit of dental floss, a small tube of moisturizer, and soap: These are important. The rest is optional. Even deodorant. As is makeup and any skin and hair products that you use for the sake of beauty versus simple maintenance.

And yes to what everyone else says about clothes. Two of everything acually works: tops, bottoms, socks, bras, undies. Anything more can go. And only one pair of shoes. Keeps or Tevas - doesn't matter, whichever is best to walk in. For evening I usually have very light slippers, just something basic.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
What’s the TOTAL weight of your TOTAL packed pack? And include your bumbag in it because that is weight on your knees, too. I have found that many pilgrims think they know the weight of their bag, but underestimate it quite a bit because they “aren’t counting” toiletries, electronics, etc. That does you a great disservice and leads to many injuries on the Camino once they try to truly carry their complete pack.

I’m addition to all the advice above, I’d drop the Keens - they are much heavier than simple sandals or crocs. Certainly a nice to have, but if you are serious about dropping weight, that’s the elect step after winnowing all the clothes. You also won’t need the headlamp. If you are worried about finding your way to the toilet at night or similar, take a very small and cheap LED flashlight (like the ones that attach to a keychain).

Finally, don’t pack for “what ifs” - millions of folks live where you will be walking and they all manage to find clothes, shoes, socks, and more for their adventures. There are plenty of store on the CF if you discover you desperately need something.

Clothing:

2 pairs of hiking shorts
2 hiking t-shirts
1 tank top

3 pairs underwear
2 sports bras

1 lightweight fleece

Keen sandals
Altra Trail Runners

Other stuff:

Headlamp
Platypus water bladder
Shower bag with S-hook
Sunscreen

Thyme
One pair of pants and one shorts. Or just two pairs of pants. You only need two days of outfits. One short sleeve and one tank. Both long sleeve is fine.

Here is my packing list for Oct-Nov: https://marisahikes.wordpress.com/

LighterPack.com is a great way to organise your packing list. You can categorize your list and if you weigh everything you will see where you might save weight. If you are culling some of your clothes then choose the lightest!

Remember you can opt in and out of pack transportation as much as you choose.

I take one pair of hiking pants to wear every day and some very light cotton trousers to wear in the evenings. I added some thin merino long johns to layer under the cotton trousers as the weather became colder in the evenings. Layering is the key to changing temperatures, not different clothes. I do also take some very lightweight pyjama trousers to wear with a t shirt at night. I don't sleep well and I also get up to use the bathroom. I'd say practice in what you expect to sleep in to make sure it works ok for you.

Enjoy your preparations and then Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Rojasa. I will walk in them if I need to. I have both Teva open-toe and Keen closed-toe sandals. I was initially leaning toward the open-toe Tevas until I noticed quite a difference in weight. The Keens are lighter. Plus the closed toe gives my piggies a little extra protection from rocks, etc.

Thank you again.
Two of each served me well. I typically sleep in next day’s undergarments and top, or a travel dress that I wear after the day’s shower (Columbia makes a super quick-dry one). FWIW, I also pack a large lightweight scarf which, in addition to warmth while walking, or a makeshift skirt during laundry, can be used as a privacy screen around your bunk. But now I’m adding weight to your pack…😉

As others have said, you may be a great candidate for baggage transport. The Aura is a great pack but 29” tall and weighs almost 4 pounds, per Osprey site. You’ll have to check it on the plane, struggle with it up/down train station stairs as you’re trying to catch a train on another platform, tote it up narrow, steep lodging stairs…I can’t imagine carrying it daily. By the time you add food and water, I imagine you’ll be around 20 pounds. Transporting it lets you just take a light daypack, your days will be much more pleasant and will help protect your joints. As others have also said, light layers are the key to packing. For me…and everyone is SO different…short sleeve tee, long sleeve tee, zip off pants, light hiking pants, yoga capris/tshirt for sleeping/hiking. I take 4-5 socks because I like dry feet. Next layer is insulating..either light fleece OR zip neck wool OR insulating jacket like Patagonia Nano, depending on weather forecast. Last layer is rain gear…again, so many options/opinions but I like light Goretex rain jacket/pants. Yoga pants under the rain pants are actually pretty warm and I like wearing a jacket out to dinner instead of a poncho. Hoods for me…privacy, cold days and nice to have my head protected in less than ideal beds. Sunglasses, sun hat, poles, 3 ounce Gossamer Gear umbrella, pack cover. Tiny dry bags, each for first aid, electronic chargers, toiletries. Garmin Mini, especially on less travelled routes. After hiking shoes or sandals, depending on weather. Sleeping liner/bag, depending on temps. Pack towel. Wallet/documents/tiny cross body bag. Air tags, phone, watch. Bladder and empty Smart Water bottle, few cleaning tablets though I’ve also gotten lemon slices from bars for a quick freshen up. Small Sawyer water filter on less travelled routes. Don’t forget food/water will add a couple of pounds, too. As the saying goes, “pack for your needs, not your fears”. Have fun and Buen Camino! PS: NadineWalks on YouTube has some great lightweight packing videos.

Ok, i am a bit of a lightweight extremist. I wrote a post about my 3,6kg packing list which i am linking at the bottom.
There is pretty much two major rules on achieving a light pack that interconnect:
1. Weigh and write down absolutely everything that goes in your pack. You can use lighterpack or Excel.
2. Take only what you think you need. Not what you think you might need.
(Bonus: Take consumables that you can buy in Spain only for a week or two)

Even if you are not willing on buying new stuff, which is just fine, you will find items that you can easily leave at home which saves weight and costs nothing.

Buen Camino!

Ok, i am a bit of a lightweight extremist. I wrote a post about my 3,6kg packing list which i am linking at the bottom.
There is pretty much two major rules on achieving a light pack that interconnect:
1. Weigh and write down absolutely everything that goes in your pack. You can use lighterpack or Excel.
2. Take only what you think you need. Not what you think you might need.
(Bonus: Take consumables that you can buy in Spain only for a week or two)

Even if you are not willing on buying new stuff, which is just fine, you will find items that you can easily leave at home which saves weight and costs nothing.

Buen Camino!

Great list, I keep trying to get the weight down near this. So far, hasn’t happened!

You’ll have to check it on the plane, struggle with it up/down train station stairs as you’re trying to catch a train on another platform, tote it up narrow, steep lodging stairs…I can’t imagine carrying it daily
I have the same pack. And believe me, enen though I'm hardly an Amazon or athlete (just a pretty normal 67 yo. woman), none of those experiences ever happen, except checking it for flights.

I love my pack. I never fill it, and so packing is easy - I don't have to do a 3D geometry puzzle to jam everything in there. And once it's on my back, I can almost forget it's there. It's more comfortable by far than the smaller Osprey I have, and certainly way better than superlight designs. So please don't project the things you can't imagine on the rest of us.

That said I did take a tumble with it sprinting for a train. But that had nothing to do with the pack.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am 67 and take the same stuff for spring as for in the fall. My pack is a Deuter 35 L. and fully packed without water it weighs 6.3kg.
One thing missing is a sleeping bag. Unless you are staying in private rooms, you will want one of these. That instead of a silk liner will keep you warm at night, cause it gets cold!
2 pair of pants, wear one (my 2nd pair were leggings that could have been used as long johns)
2 long sleeve blouses with sleeves you can roll up, wear one
1 long sleeve t-shirt to wear under blouses when it gets cold
It rained a lot in the fall, the 2 times I walked, so a poncho that fit nicely around my pack was better than a rain coat and bag cover.
A fleece, towel, nightgown,
3 pairs of socks, 3 panties, 2 bra (wearing one of each)
toiletries
plug for phone and cable
money belt for big money and bank cards. Wear under your shirt
hip pack for stuff I want all day long, like my phone, glasses, mints, pass and small money
shower shoes, plastic bag for the shower to hold clean clothes and my money belt/phone
I have metal water bottles. Easy to keep clean, and my water stays cold.
(I do have a small bag to put stuff in that I may want to have transported, and I do this often now. I always wear my pack though as this saves my shoulders and back)

Last edited:

Consider to take advantage of luggage transfer services.

Clothing:

2 pairs of hiking shorts
2 hiking t-shirts
1 tank top

3 pairs underwear
2 sports bras

1 lightweight fleece

Keen sandals
Altra Trail Runners

Other stuff:

Headlamp
Platypus water bladder
Shower bag with S-hook
Sunscreen

Thyme
Given all of your previous injuries - why not consider bag transport? It’s very easy and can be done/decided on one day before? And you can change your mind carry one day; transport the next….

A selection of Camino Jewellery
One thing I noticed about your list: you have a liner for sleep, how heavy is this, will it keep you warm? For most of time, you will encounter cool/chilly nights. I didn't see reference to a sleeping bag. A light weight sleeping quilt may be in order unless you are planning to stay in hotels/hostals. Not all albergues have blankets, and if they do, there are no guarantees that they are cleaned often.

i used my Sea to Summit lightweight bag (which can also be a quilt) every night in April/May/June, along with my liner.

Buen Camino!

This was my pack -76 yr old woman after a hip replacement. You woun't need mch more - but if you do, buy it as you need it. I picked up compeed for blisters, vaseline to prevent blisters, a ultra light weight daypack - I used pack service from time to time. But my pack was light enough when I chose to or had to carry. The list below includes the clothes you will be wearing.
Clothing:

1 pairs of long hiking pants w zipper conversion to shorts ( not other shorts)
1 pair 3/4 leggings
1 long sleeve lightweight shirts SPF 50
1 hiking t-shirts
3 pairs underwear
2 sports bras
0 lightweight fleece (buy when you need it - clothes are not expensive in Spain
1 poncho
Keen sandals
Altra Trail Runners

Other stuff:
Small light hiking towel
Headlamp
Platypus water bladder
Sunscreen

I’ve walked several caminos and found it impossible to get to 10% of my body weight, I don’t sweat it anymore. IMO carrying a larger pack is actually a good thing, they offer better back support and suspension which you will come to appreciate, just avoid the temptation to fill it. Also I’ve found clothing isn’t usually the problem, it’s all the little incidentals we carry. The first 5 days will be your hardest, after that your pack will become a part of you. Perhaps on harder days you could use a transfer service, good to keep in mind that option is there. Another service I love is Camino con Correos through the post office. I pack up a box with extra toiletries, my airplane clothes, clothing you may not need due to climate changes etc. etc…..then I meet up with the box every 2 weeks or so. It lightened my pack considerably. Good luck and Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
why not use correos? if its going to make the difference between a good and a bad experience, just run into a decathlon, get a light day pack, and have your stuff sent on. I say that as someone who really believes in the power of carrying everything as an insight into how much unnecessary stuff we carry around with us off the camino... but still... if this will ruin your camino I think that is just one of many lessons, and many of the lessons are worth more than this one!

Clothing:

2 pairs of hiking shorts
2 hiking t-shirts
1 tank top

3 pairs underwear
2 sports bras

1 lightweight fleece

Keen sandals
Altra Trail Runners

Other stuff:

Headlamp
Platypus water bladder
Shower bag with S-hook
Sunscreen

Thyme
Cut back on the clothes. One change is plenty, you don't need 2. If by chance you need more, you can easy buy them.
Also, there are much lighter packs.

Hi! I too had a lot of Sports injuries and bad knees when I hiked Camino Frances, I was 55 at the time, and as an avid hiker decided also to bring my Osprey Aura 65l, and wound up mailing it back from Pamplona, plus an extra 10 pounds of crap I didn’t need! I purchased a Deuter 30L in Zubiri and changed my Camino completely. There’s a lot of things that you can get in Spain toiletries, water, food, etc. I ended with just 1 pair of convertible hiking pants, and a pair of shorts, 2 t shirts, 1 long sleeve Columbia shirt, 1 very light fleece sweater, Patagonia puffy jacket, hat and our rain gear. Plus 3 pairs of socks, underwear and bras. We also brought a 20’ thin paracord rope to hang our washed items every night (we washed our underwear and socks every day and hung them out) if they didn’t dry we hung them on our packs. As for water bladder, I also sent that back home! We found that it was easy to just buy a water bottle or two and refill or replace (there was plenty of water to go around). We also brought a pillow cover and a silk liner (Sea-to-Summit) to sleep in, very light weight. Instead of a bathroom caddy we had a 10L dry bag with all the important toiletries and meds, and an 5L dry bag with first aid, and a medium dry towel. We also had our hiking poles boots and Tevas sandals that we used mainly in the Mesetas to give our feet a break. We also walked from August 30-October 2, and only encountered 3 days with rain. There are a few sections where is very, very hot specially in the afternoon and the sun is always hitting you head on. We always started at 5:30-6:00 and some areas were very cold, so we just dressed in layers and soon enough it was nice. Our bags never weighed more than 20lbs at any time, even with food and water, or wet clothes. We also took advantage of the backpack transfers on several occasions we needed the break (in 2014 it was only 5€ to send from one albergue to the next) I think you can do fine with a smaller backpack and ditch some clothes, just have to wash a little more! (Another thing we did in big cities like Leon, Burgos,etc we will get into our rain gear and go to laundry and wash everything! Also bring some KT tape, even if your legs are okay they help tremendously. Hope this helps, BUEN CAMINO

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Consider convertible pants, ones you can remove the legs, and a pair of shorts. Wear the pants during the day and use the shorts in the evening, or when the pants are drying after a wash. That is all that will be needed.

The pack. I went to the store and they recommended a 48L Osprey, which I used and still have but a realistic pack is smaller and lighter. Try to find the lightest 35L pack you can. The bigger the pack, the more we want to put into it.

Water. Leave the bladder. They are cumbersome to manage. Buy a bottle of water. Refill as needed. It is the lightest water bottle on the market.

Make one thing do as many jobs as possible.

The ideal way to go is with nothing, buying what is needed along the way. I may do just that next time I go. This way, a day pack will do the job, like children take to school.

Bear in mind also that you’ll need to carry water and some snack food. One liter of water weighs one kilogram. There were days on the Camino Ingles when I carried a minimum of 2 liters because even though it would seem to be a more developed area there were some long stretches with no services. The CF perhaps is better for access to water on a reliable basis. But the true test of pack weight is to put in your filled water bottles and a snack or two. It’s an eye opener!

You are on an "urban trek" ... if there is anything you need, you can buy it along the way ... if there is anything you decide you aren't using but you want to keep it, send it to Casa Ivar and pick it up at the end.
The Camino Provides ...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
why not use correos? if its going to make the difference between a good and a bad experience, just run into a decathlon, get a light day pack, and have your stuff sent on.
Or buy a lightweight packable duffel and offload some of the heavier items that you don't need during the day into it to send on while you wear your well fitted backpack.

Clothing:

2 pairs of hiking shorts
2 hiking t-shirts
1 tank top

3 pairs underwear
2 sports bras

1 lightweight fleece

Keen sandals
Altra Trail Runners

Other stuff:

Headlamp
Platypus water bladder
Shower bag with S-hook
Sunscreen

Thyme
Is this list of clothing what you plan to pack in addition to what you are wearing, or from the skin out (FSO) - including what you are wearing that day? It DOES make a difference.

I can make better suggestions once I know. Also, consider using the SEARCH function at the top / right of the page. Enter keyword, like "clothing" or the month and route: "Camino Frances in September...) Those results will start to help you.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Here's my two cents. Pack whatever would make you comfortable and happy. The worst thing to do is hunt for a pharmacy, or grocery, or even Decathlon to buy what you could have bought at home, instead of resting and enjoying tapas with your beer. I had a suitcase with everything I thought I needed and I used the transport service. A 10 pound day pack will feel like 30 pounds later as you walk. Imagine a 20 pounder! So use a transport service. The only paramount concern is for you to reach Santiago de Compostela, in good shape, to celebrate the realization of your dream.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Clothing:

2 pairs of hiking shorts
2 hiking t-shirts
1 tank top

3 pairs underwear
2 sports bras

1 lightweight fleece

Keen sandals
Altra Trail Runners

Other stuff:

Headlamp
Platypus water bladder
Shower bag with S-hook
Sunscreen

Thyme
I agree with several others that you have more pants and tops than necessary--and you can pick up a new T-shirt along the way if you change your mind. I personally would bring the headlamp for safety reasons. Not sure how much a shower bag weighs. Suggest a (multi-purpose) bandana instead of a washcloth. How much do Keen sandals weigh? There are alternatives that are lightweight for shower use--such as flipflops like they give you when you get a pedicure. My Altras are comfortable enough that I have no problem wearing them hiking and then around town afterwards.

Mostly I wonder if you are including what you will be wearing as you hike in the list of what you will be carrying? There is a term called "skin out" which in backpacking terms means everything you are wearing AND how much you are carrying. However, when people say to carry no more than 10% of your weight, that usually means ONLY what you are carrying on your back--not what you are wearing. Also, keep in mind that the 10% suggestion is not a rule, it's a way to suggest people try to bring what they carry down to a reasonable level. It is probably far too extreme for those who weigh 100 pounds, and "allows" someone who weighs 300 pounds to carry much more than necessary.

I carry pretty much what you listed you are taking and my pack (an Osprey at 2 lb. 3 oz) and contents generally weigh 15 pounds or less. I am 82 years old; I carry my own pack and have no problem doing so. If you can do it at home on varied terrain (some hills, etc.), I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to do so in Spain. Buen Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My pack is a Gossamer 40 ltr. weighing in at 800 grams. Going soon on my 3rd (with this pack), but you have encouraged me to winnow even a few more things out to get the weight down. I'm an 84 y,o. 100 lb. woman. I try to keep the pack weight below 13 lbs.
You are an example of how it is hard for a small person to follow the "10% rule". Your clothes are smaller, sure, but the clothes are only a small part of the weight you need to carry.

It's great is you are managing OK with what you have, but good luck on getting the weight down even more!

I agree with the suggestions here for streamlining your clothing list. Our packs were too heavy at beginning of our first Camino and we ended up sending a box ahead from Correos in Burgos to SdC.

I am in my mid-60's and have arthritis in my right knee and possible knee tears that have not been imaged or operated on. I've had physical therapy and worn an OTC knee brace. Last summer I walked SJPD to Sarria and had to stop walking just over O Cebreiro because I developed tibial tendonitis in lower R leg. Our stages were longer than yours, approx 10-12 mi per day. I stayed in Spain and carried on by bus, van and taxi, keeping up with friends and family completing the Camino. For me that was OK, I am fluent in Spanish and I could still sightsee (with a walking pole), practice my Spanish, have marvelous food, etc. I had treatments from a marvelous PT in Arzua.

This June I returned to finish the Frances (Triacastela via Samos to SdC), carrying same pack with streamlined contents, and shorter stages, mostly 6-8 mi per day, but we did walk up to 11 mi some days. I had no tendonitis or knee pain, but some swelling and hiker's rash in lower L leg and foot. It did not keep me from walking. We stopped in to say hi to the PT I saw last year and she was so appreciative that we thought to visit her.

I have always carried my pack (Gregory Jade 38) and it is somewhat a matter of pride with me (perhaps misplaced), but I would encourage you to consider baggage transport, not as a definite, but as an option ~ and an option you can decide to use once you've already started your Camino. I am encouraging myself to consider baggage transport for future Caminos given my age and knee/leg challenges.

Sorry I can't comment on weight of pack and items. Because of a history of eating disorder in early adulthood, I don't weigh myself very often, don't own a scale and prefer not to get into precise weight of items in my pack. I base my packing on suggested packing lists and the feel and comfort of individual items and my pack as a whole.

Buen Camino ~

Clothing:

2 pairs of hiking shorts
2 hiking t-shirts
1 tank top

3 pairs underwear
2 sports bras

1 lightweight fleece

Keen sandals
Altra Trail Runners

Other stuff:

Headlamp
Platypus water bladder
Shower bag with S-hook
Sunscreen

Thyme
I have walked the French twice, Norte, Porto, English. My pack last time on French was Osprey 30 at 13 lbs. Cut it back!!

I love Keen sandals, but the heavy soles weigh too much for the Camino, plus they don't work well in the shower. I carried Crocs which are a lot lighter and work well in the shower.

-Paul

Clothing:

2 pairs of hiking shorts
2 hiking t-shirts
1 tank top

3 pairs underwear
2 sports bras

1 lightweight fleece

Keen sandals
Altra Trail Runners

Other stuff:

Headlamp
Platypus water bladder
Shower bag with S-hook
Sunscreen

Thyme
Dear Thyme,

I have walked three sections of the Camino over a few years during the summer-early fall with the same backpack that I bought in 2007. I just decided to get a new one, a Gregory 63 which weighs 1.61 kg, as I have rods in my back and want to protect it. I am also quite short, and this pack is designed for very short women. I'm 73 and would like to go to Portugal soon to do the Rota Vicentina.

Could I suggest deleting the following from your list?

Two pairs of hiking shorts
One long-sleeve lightweight shirt
One tank top
Hiking towel and washcloth
Shower bag

I found that by walking from 8 until noon, I would arrive at the next hostel earlier than others and had access to the outdoor laundry facilities. I took a shower, dried off with that day's clothing and then washed it. It didn't take a long time at all to dry while I wandered around the village, had a bit to eat and then took a nap before dinner. I tried flan every night for dessert in order to do a small study of how differently it could be prepared!

Only one set of legs but BOTH pairs of shorts I should have said.

MY suggestions:

Clothing:

1 pairs of long hiking pants - wear one, carry one
1 long sleeve lightweight shirts SPF 50
1 pairs of hiking shorts - leave these home
1 hiking t-shirt

3 pairs underwear -wear one, carry 2
2 sports bras - wear one, carry 1
3 pairs merino wool socks - wear one, carry 2

1 lightweight fleece
1 very lightweight rain jacket - consider an ALTUS poncho which makes the pack cover not needed

Altra Trail Runners - wear them

Other stuff:

Duck Back rain cover for pack - consider an ALTUS poncho instead
Small light hiking towel and washcloth - do you. need a washcloth?

Electric converter and phone charger - you do not need a converter - you only need a tiny adapter
Headlamp - leave it home - don't get up until sun-up
Baggie-sized first-aid kit - leave it home - just take a couple of bandaids and some compeed
Platypus water bladder - Leave it home - in Autumn I'd just carry an 8 oz bottle and fill up at each fountain along the way
Shower bag with S-hook - ??? What's in this? Do you really need it? Just take an all purpose shampoo bar/soap, deodorant, and toothbrush/paste
Sunscreen - Leave it home - you don't need this if you have a hat

Last edited by a moderator:
I have settled over the years on a simple pattern for clothing:
  • two sets of underwear, inner and middle layer garments, one being worn
  • one warm top layer, normally a fleece
  • a wind and waterproof layer
  • three or four pairs of liner and outer socks
  • gloves, hat, etc
  • shorts and tee-shirt for sleeping, although I have just used underwear and an inner layer tee-shirt that I wear the next day as well.
There are other things like toiletries.

I cannot comment about the bras, but I wouldn't normally carry three sets of anything. I do carry a sleeping bag and liner, and have only ever slept in my clothes once, and that was to finish drying them before walking in them the next day.

ps I continue to be amused by the many members, mainly I think from North America, who don't realise that for the other part of the English speaking world, the word 'fanny' is a rather pejorative and crude reference to a woman's genitalia, generally never used in polite company where they come from.
Doug,I've never had the nerve to point that out,but the mere reference used to have my wife and myself squirming with laughter( and she was a bit straitlaced when I first took her out- bad influence,moi? non!)😁

I continue to be amused by the many members, mainly I think from North America, who don't realise that for the other part of the English speaking world, the word 'fanny' is a rather pejorative and crude reference to a woman's genitalia, generally never used in polite company where they come from
That's why I've adopted the term "waistpack" which is really more descriptive anyway.

Clothing:

2 pairs of hiking shorts
2 hiking t-shirts
1 tank top

3 pairs underwear
2 sports bras

1 lightweight fleece

Keen sandals
Altra Trail Runners

Other stuff:

Headlamp
Platypus water bladder
Shower bag with S-hook
Sunscreen

Thyme
I was 68 when I last walked and carried somewhat similar items. I ended up washing the clothing I wore daily, which were dry before nightfall and wore them again the next day. I didn't really need the additional shirts and pants, and had cargo pants that unzipped into shorts. I had very lightweight sandals and shower shoes for additional footwear. Shoes can add weight. I had very light weight down vest and jacket which were perfect when layered for cold mornings. I brought a very lightweight dress to wear at the end of the day. I plan to do the same in September.

I take one pair of convertible hiking trousers and two short sleeve merino Ts for hiking.
One other outfit for lounging/exploring (trousers/top)
Ditch the fleece, they are too heavy. I Got a long sleeve thicker merino T instead. And a lightweight down jacket, warm, but super light and packs down v small. Got it in Uniqlo. I always take footless tights I can wear under my trousers if cold.
I sleep in the lounging outfit too.
Ive got a running rain jacket and trousers for waterproofing, both are tiny and superlite, but keeps you warmer in a wind.
I can pretty much layer everything.
The rhythm is to arrive at accommodation early or mid afternoon, shower and wash hike clothes and then chill. Repeat.
oh and you can get all-in-one shower/shampoo/clothes wash from Lifeventure, one bottle does it all.

When I first walked the Camino. I thought that I had to carry everything every step of the way. And I did for the first 350 miles. Then a swollen ankle almost derailed my plan to reach SdC. I discovered that the Spanish Post Office will transport your bag for a very low fee. They helped me complete my first camino in 33 days at the age of 70. Now, I take everything that I need plus a cotton towel. I also have a very small backpack in which I carry a change of underware, rain gear, a 2 liter water bladder, and all my meds. The post office carries everything else. They are so accommodating, I can change pick up and drop off locations with very reasonable notice. To those that say I should carry everything, I say "it is my camino and I will enjoy every minute of it".
Buen Camino

Clothing:

2 pairs of hiking shorts
2 hiking t-shirts
1 tank top

3 pairs underwear
2 sports bras

1 lightweight fleece

Keen sandals
Altra Trail Runners

Other stuff:

Headlamp
Platypus water bladder
Shower bag with S-hook
Sunscreen

Thyme
I have walked at this time, and have always only worn shorts. I take 2 T shirts, 1 light fleece, 2 shorts, a lightweight puffer, and layer up. When I look back on my photos I'm almost always wearing the puffer in the early morning, but by mid morning, Im down to a T shirt. If my body is warm, then I'm warm. If I was walking in January than long pants would be sensible, but Sept/Oct was quite warm. You will get the odd day when you wear everything, but then you'll also have days when you are really hot.

You say you feel the heat, so layering is going to be key.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Clothing:

2 pairs of hiking shorts
2 hiking t-shirts
1 tank top

3 pairs underwear
2 sports bras

1 lightweight fleece

Keen sandals
Altra Trail Runners

Other stuff:

Headlamp
Platypus water bladder
Shower bag with S-hook
Sunscreen

Thyme
As an RN with a history arthroplasty I’d suggest talking to the doc who knows your Ortho history best and get a treatment kit together. I can picture you sitting by a cool brook wishing you’d packed compression bandages/Ace bandages, soft ankle braces and possibly even an Instant Cold pack or two. Be sure either your shoes or sandals can fit your foot with a wrap. You can get ice in the evening…bring empty baggies. If you can take it, bring plenty of ibuprofen or your fav pain remedy.
Most of all, and you have this set up, go slow.

Lots of good advice in the previous comments.
Re Pack weight. I think we all have a personal tipping point with what we can carry comfortably. Mine is around 7kg so I keep my pack at under 6.5 kg before food and water - means I start the day with a heavier pack but it gets lighter as I drink and eat along the way.
Of course it gets easier after a week or two when you get your trail fitness.
I am 71 and walked the Via last year - 1000 Km in 9 weeks. I did pack transport a couple of times in the first week and took a bus/taxi a couple of times in the middle. I walked some very short days in the first month. You have given yourself plenty of time to stroll the Camino.
Prepare as best you can. And everything else you can find out along the way - with the help of others along the Camino.
Buen Camino

Not repeating everyone’s advice on your packed items but keeping on the ‘my pack is too heavy’ …
I would highly recommend, and will also help, is spending time learning how to fit and adjust your pack.
Watch lots of different you tube videos, and start with loosening out ALL the straps on the pack before you put it on.
Having the hip belt in the right spot (for your body) and having the straps tensioned correctly I have found makes the biggest difference between feeling every gram in your pack ALL DAY versus not feeling it on your back at all.
On my first Camino another pilgrim stopped me 4 days in and showed me how to do it, changed my life.
And remember to refit and readjust your pack straps every morning (will only take a minute once you know what your doing), you’ll be losing weight and gaining muscle etc so your body will be changing.
Trial and error what the ‘guidelines’ are and what works best for you, e.g. my hip belt works better on my body higher up for me as I found the recommended placement was pushing on my bladder constantly.
The online resources however will give you a good place to start and learn and then tweak.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
That's why I've adopted the term "waistpack" which is really more descriptive anyway.
I've noticed that you and some of the other more enlightened members from North America do that, and appreciate the consideration you have shown on this and some other matters of language differences.

When deciding which clothing (and other) items to leave behind, I’d suggest weighing them on a kitchen scale. If you have one pair of pants that weigh 7 oz and another that weighs 12 oz, go with the 7 oz ones. With each thing you bring, choose the lightest one possible.

I brought a solid shampoo bar that I could use as soap as well. It weighed maybe 2 oz and lasted my whole Camino (I took 50 days to walk plus a few rest days).

One thing you haven’t mentioned is walking poles. I would highly recommend them. You will have far less stress on your knees and hips and they are priceless for helping walk down some of the steep hills.

Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Clothing:

2 pairs of hiking shorts
2 hiking t-shirts
1 tank top

3 pairs underwear
2 sports bras

1 lightweight fleece

Keen sandals
Altra Trail Runners

Other stuff:

Headlamp
Platypus water bladder
Shower bag with S-hook
Sunscreen

Thyme
Consider:
1. Try to return the shorts and get zip of pants--lightweight nylon--would check out-Columbia or Patagonia.
2. Delete either a short aleve shirt or the tank to (lightweight merino short sleeves shirts are very light).
3. Delete 1 long sleeve shirt.
4. Substitute flip flops for the sandals
5. No converter needed (and it's heavy)--all you need is an adapter.
6. Make sure your towel and washcloth are the ultralite kind.
7. Lighten your toiletries if possible.
8. I walked with the Osprey aura because of its great ergo dynamic features (great at transferring weight from your back to hips). But it is heavier!!
9. Once it gets cold, you may have to eventually get a sleeping bag but starting with a liner is probably the best.
10. This year I walked on my 4th Camino, but the last time was 8 to 9 years ago (I'm 67). I had a previous marked back injury and I found that I just couldn't carry my backpack anymore.
11. Since you are so active, you likely can walk 15 km (9 miles) per day.
12. On Camino #3 , I started early Sept and the first 2 weeks the heat was quite bad. I also don't do well in the heat. If it is hot, try to start walking by 7AM and finish by 1PM.
Good luck
Have fun

Clothing:

2 pairs of hiking shorts
2 hiking t-shirts
1 tank top

3 pairs underwear
2 sports bras

1 lightweight fleece

Keen sandals
Altra Trail Runners

Other stuff:

Headlamp
Platypus water bladder
Shower bag with S-hook
Sunscreen

Thyme
Instead of a fleece jacket, I took silk long underwear—very light. By the end of October, I had silks on, hiking pants, rain jacket. I only took 2 spf shirts and 2 pants. It was really hot in early September but chilly by early November.

Clothing:

2 pairs of hiking shorts
2 hiking t-shirts
1 tank top

3 pairs underwear
2 sports bras

1 lightweight fleece

Keen sandals
Altra Trail Runners

Other stuff:

Headlamp
Platypus water bladder
Shower bag with S-hook
Sunscreen

Thyme
I walked the CF in April/May and after a couple of weeks really struggled with my shoulder. So after that I transported my bag. Transport services are fantastic and inexpensive. I had a dry bag inside my rucksack and used this to transport most of my gear just carrying the essentials for the day. My advice would be to consider this option.

I have walked starting from SJPP starting 1 Sep. Also I walked in May this year. I suggest you can get away with 1 hiking pants, 1 shorts, 1 long sleeve shirt and 2 t shirts. Also remember to weigh your pack without the clothes you’re going to be wearing. If still too heavy. Use a transport service some days. Carry a dry bag to offload and transport extra items onwards. Buen camino!

Great advice and I am listening as I will be walking Leon to Santiago the end of Sept, for the 2nd time, at age 72. the only think I would add is to ditch the tank top unless you want to sleep in it. It's not comfortable carrying a pack on your skin, ie, no sleeves on a tank top. I always bring lightweight sleeping clothes as it is way more comfortable and worth the 6 oz. I guess I have one more suggest and that's 4 pairs of socks as you could have 2 wet pairs from the previous day! Buen Camino!

You have received a lot of excellent advice about clothing. Perhaps consider using a baggage transport system from SJPdP to Zubiri. Given the concerns about your previous surgeries it might be wise to have your pack the first 2-3 days sent from SJPdP as far as Zubiri. Many pilgrims do this. It will also likely lessen the possibility of blisters.

I have the same pack. And believe me, enen though I'm hardly an Amazon or athlete (just a pretty normal 67 yo. woman), none of those experiences ever happen, except checking it for flights.

I love my pack. I never fill it, and so packing is easy - I don't have to do a 3D geometry puzzle to jam everything in there. And once it's on my back, I can almost forget it's there. It's more comfortable by far than the smaller Osprey I have, and certainly way better than superlight designs. So please don't project the things you can't imagine on the rest of us.

That said I did take a tumble with it sprinting for a train. But that had nothing to do with the pack.
Thanks for your input. It is a very comfortable bag in my opinion. I'm defintely checking it on my flights. I bought the larger Ikea Frakta bag to put it in and it fits perfectly.

Given all of your previous injuries - why not consider bag transport? It’s very easy and can be done/decided on one day before? And you can change your mind carry one day; transport the next….
That seems to be the general consensus. LOL I probably will end doing that.

One thing I noticed about your list: you have a liner for sleep, how heavy is this, will it keep you warm? For most of time, you will encounter cool/chilly nights. I didn't see reference to a sleeping bag. A light weight sleeping quilt may be in order unless you are planning to stay in hotels/hostals. Not all albergues have blankets, and if they do, there are no guarantees that they are cleaned often.

i used my Sea to Summit lightweight bag (which can also be a quilt) every night in April/May/June, along with my liner.

Buen Camino!
Thank you for that suggestion. I was under the impression that I wouldn't need a blanket/sleeping bag. For some reason I thought ALL the albergues had blankets.

Thank you for that suggestion. I was under the impression that I wouldn't need a blanket/sleeping bag. For some reason I thought ALL the albergues had blankets.
I'd say that most albergues have blankets. Sometimes you do have to ask for them. If you are willing to wear all of your clothes to sleep in on the occasional cold night in a place with no blankets then you can probably get by with just a liner.

That is where I suspect a lot of your weight is. If you really can´t do without any of them, look for travel size containers. You can replenish in supermarkets as you go.
Toiletries are heavy. OTOH it can be hard to find the right (tiny) containers. While looking for travel size things in Seville, not a small place, I found none in the groceries, but I did find the smallest size of Fairy Dish Soap With Aloe. It was 2 euro. Weighs about the same as a half liter water bottle. Works fine for hair, bod, clothes, and even the occasional dish. We left the second half of the bottle behind when we suspended after my injury. It does dry your hair a little, but you could sub a light lotion in a small bottle for hair conditioner, just rinse it out afterwards, if your hair is unusually delicate.
This was gotten because in a previous Camino, on running out of shampoo, soap, etc., I popped into a parfumeria and got the smallest size of dish soap. (Pink liquid that time.) It worked fine, and I made a point of remembering that.
We don't bring the soap, shampoo, etc. with us, we hit the grocery or farmacia or parfumeria as available when we get there. And since on the way home we checked our packs, we left behind the leftover liquid soap. Just imagine the hold of the aircraft after a heavier bag lands on the bottle and pops the lid! ;)

Thanks for your input. It is a very comfortable bag in my opinion. I'm defintely checking it on my flights. I bought the larger Ikea Frakta bag to put it in and it fits perfectly.
How much do the combo of the Ikea bag and the pack weigh? Are you carrying the wrapper-bag with you en route? Tossing the wrapper-bag? FWIW the Madrid airport now has one of the saran-wrap kioks right near the entrance to terminal 4. It cost 10 euro per pack to wrap ours when we returned. Money very well spent IMHO.

If you wear a waist/fanny pack, you will be immediately become the target of pickpockets! You won't have any trouble on the Camino but will draw attention in travel to/from the Camino through major cities.

Keep your passport, cash and credit cards in a money belt under your clothes.

-Paul

If you wear a waist/fanny pack, you will be immediately become the target of pickpockets! You won't have any trouble on the Camino but will draw attention in travel to/from the Camino through major cities.
Waist packs aren't just for tourists - they have become quite fashionable, but often they are worn crossbody like this in the city.

20230718_123610.jpg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Clothing:

2 pairs of hiking shorts
2 hiking t-shirts
1 tank top

3 pairs underwear
2 sports bras

1 lightweight fleece

Keen sandals
Altra Trail Runners

Other stuff:

Headlamp
Platypus water bladder
Shower bag with S-hook
Sunscreen

Thyme
Hi Thyme.
that's a pretty good list.
i think you can save some weight on clothes:
1 shorts, 1 long pants. Leggings and long sleeve singlet to wear under shorts on cool day or for sleeping.
1 SPF 50 shirt.
1 short sleeve hiking top.
No need for tank top.

I plan to walk Vezelay Route at exact same time. My 21st Camino.
My pack will weigh in at 6.5 kg incl water and lunch. I use 30 ltr Deuter Groeden.
Wear and wash daily:
Shorts, Merino short sleeve, sports bra and pants. Merino socks, Brooks Ghost gortex shoes.
Spare clothes:
Long Macabi skirt, can hitch up into 3/4 pants or shorts.
Short sleeve merino top.
Linen top, short sleeve.
Croc sandals.
Thin Merino socks, medium thick Merino socks.
Bra, 3 undies.
Thin stretchy sleeveless and long sleeve silk singlet and leggings. Can wear under stuff day for extra warmth or sleep in on cooler nights.
Silk scarf.
Light down jacket.
Sea to Summit rain cape. Weighs 170 grams, no need for packcover.
Light kaftan to sleep in, wear to bathroom, get changed under.
Beret hat.
Sunhat, small rim, leave on under raincape, as more comfy.
Small Japanese towel and flannel. Quick drying, non stinky.
Silk liner.
First aid kit, very small.
Phone charger and adaptor.
Tiny lightweight scruncheable backpack.
Toileteries:
Toothbrush and paste, small.
Small hairbrush round.
Conditioning bar.
Small soap
Face cream with spf, use on arms too.
4 day deo, tiny, lasts 3 weeks.
Nailfile. Tiny baby nail scissors with round edge, ok in carry on luggage.
Click clack container and spork.
Head torch 35 g
Medication.
Passport, thin notebook, guidebook trimmed down.
large safety pins x 2 to hang damp clothing on pack.
Whistle.
Black diamond poles.
Clothes pegs, laundry powder.
Shoulder bag.
Waterbottle 500 mls in strap attachment. 1 ltr foldable bottle if need back up water, unlikely on Frances. Can also use as warm water bottle if cold.
I don't bother with gloves. Have used my socks on one occasion, when hands cold.

Last edited:
Think twice about ditching the headlamp. A lot depends upon how hot it is going to be in early september, whether your an early riser, and when-you want to begin walking. Sunrise in October does not occur till around 8:30 am and many pilgrims are well on-their way by then.
Put it this way, I ONLY make afternoon doctor appointments. I have all I can do if I have to be out of the house before 10AM. LOL The only time I see the sunrise is if I pull an all-nighter. :)

Clothing:

2 pairs of hiking shorts
2 hiking t-shirts
1 tank top

3 pairs underwear
2 sports bras

1 lightweight fleece

Keen sandals
Altra Trail Runners

Other stuff:

Headlamp
Platypus water bladder
Shower bag with S-hook
Sunscreen

Thyme
I am 66 yrs old and will begin the camino on Sept 11th...I may meet you on the way. Purchase pants that can have a zipper that can convert them into shorts. XPOSURE is the brand I am familiar with. Have only 2 tops. Have a light jacket that you can remove when it gets too warm. Does that help?

Hi! I too had a lot of Sports injuries and bad knees when I hiked Camino Frances, I was 55 at the time, and as an avid hiker decided also to bring my Osprey Aura 65l, and wound up mailing it back from Pamplona, plus an extra 10 pounds of crap I didn’t need! I purchased a Deuter 30L in Zubiri and changed my Camino completely. There’s a lot of things that you can get in Spain toiletries, water, food, etc. I ended with just 1 pair of convertible hiking pants, and a pair of shorts, 2 t shirts, 1 long sleeve Columbia shirt, 1 very light fleece sweater, Patagonia puffy jacket, hat and our rain gear. Plus 3 pairs of socks, underwear and bras. We also brought a 20’ thin paracord rope to hang our washed items every night (we washed our underwear and socks every day and hung them out) if they didn’t dry we hung them on our packs. As for water bladder, I also sent that back home! We found that it was easy to just buy a water bottle or two and refill or replace (there was plenty of water to go around). We also brought a pillow cover and a silk liner (Sea-to-Summit) to sleep in, very light weight. Instead of a bathroom caddy we had a 10L dry bag with all the important toiletries and meds, and an 5L dry bag with first aid, and a medium dry towel. We also had our hiking poles boots and Tevas sandals that we used mainly in the Mesetas to give our feet a break. We also walked from August 30-October 2, and only encountered 3 days with rain. There are a few sections where is very, very hot specially in the afternoon and the sun is always hitting you head on. We always started at 5:30-6:00 and some areas were very cold, so we just dressed in layers and soon enough it was nice. Our bags never weighed more than 20lbs at any time, even with food and water, or wet clothes. We also took advantage of the backpack transfers on several occasions we needed the break (in 2014 it was only 5€ to send from one albergue to the next) I think you can do fine with a smaller backpack and ditch some clothes, just have to wash a little more! (Another thing we did in big cities like Leon, Burgos,etc we will get into our rain gear and go to laundry and wash everything! Also bring some KT tape, even if your legs are okay they help tremendously. Hope this helps, BUEN CAMINO
That's all great info! Thank you!

Dear Thyme,

I have walked three sections of the Camino over a few years during the summer-early fall with the same backpack that I bought in 2007. I just decided to get a new one, a Gregory 63 which weighs 1.61 kg, as I have rods in my back and want to protect it. I am also quite short, and this pack is designed for very short women. I'm 73 and would like to go to Portugal soon to do the Rota Vicentina.

Could I suggest deleting the following from your list?

Two pairs of hiking shorts
One long-sleeve lightweight shirt
One tank top
Hiking towel and washcloth
Shower bag

I found that by walking from 8 until noon, I would arrive at the next hostel earlier than others and had access to the outdoor laundry facilities. I took a shower, dried off with that day's clothing and then washed it. It didn't take a long time at all to dry while I wandered around the village, had a bit to eat and then took a nap before dinner. I tried flan every night for dessert in order to do a small study of how differently it could be prepared!
I'll probably only do about 4 hours a day as well. Thank you. This is good info.

As an RN with a history arthroplasty I’d suggest talking to the doc who knows your Ortho history best and get a treatment kit together. I can picture you sitting by a cool brook wishing you’d packed compression bandages/Ace bandages, soft ankle braces and possibly even an Instant Cold pack or two. Be sure either your shoes or sandals can fit your foot with a wrap. You can get ice in the evening…bring empty baggies. If you can take it, bring plenty of ibuprofen or your fav pain remedy.
Most of all, and you have this set up, go slow.
I am bringing compression socks and Advil. And I bought my shoes a size larger than usual.

I've noticed that you and some of the other more enlightened members from North America do that, and appreciate the consideration you have shown on this and some other matters of language differences.
I saw a movie on Amazon Prime called "80 For Brady" with Lily Tomlin, Jane Fonda and Sally Fields. Sally Fields played a nerdy math professor. She referred to it as a "strap on". It was hilarious!

When deciding which clothing (and other) items to leave behind, I’d suggest weighing them on a kitchen scale. If you have one pair of pants that weigh 7 oz and another that weighs 12 oz, go with the 7 oz ones. With each thing you bring, choose the lightest one possible.

I brought a solid shampoo bar that I could use as soap as well. It weighed maybe 2 oz and lasted my whole Camino (I took 50 days to walk plus a few rest days).

One thing you haven’t mentioned is walking poles. I would highly recommend them. You will have far less stress on your knees and hips and they are priceless for helping walk down some of the steep hills.

Buen Camino!
Yes, I do have walking poles. I didn't mention them because I figured they'd be in my hands most of the time.

Great advice and I am listening as I will be walking Leon to Santiago the end of Sept, for the 2nd time, at age 72. the only think I would add is to ditch the tank top unless you want to sleep in it. It's not comfortable carrying a pack on your skin, ie, no sleeves on a tank top. I always bring lightweight sleeping clothes as it is way more comfortable and worth the 6 oz. I guess I have one more suggest and that's 4 pairs of socks as you could have 2 wet pairs from the previous day! Buen Camino!
Oh wow! I never thought of that. Thank you.

How much do the combo of the Ikea bag and the pack weigh? Are you carrying the wrapper-bag with you en route? Tossing the wrapper-bag? FWIW the Madrid airport now has one of the saran-wrap kioks right near the entrance to terminal 4. It cost 10 euro per pack to wrap ours when we returned. Money very well spent IMHO.
I'm scheduled to fly back home from Paris, but I paid a higher price for the ability to make changes if I want to. That's good to know about the wrap.

I'd say that most albergues have blankets. Sometimes you do have to ask for them. If you are willing to wear all of your clothes to sleep in on the occasional cold night in a place with no blankets then you can probably get by with just

If possible avoid blankets at albergues (if there),especially as the highseason winds down. They become another source for critters to lurk in.

Last edited:

My apologies. I didn’t mean to project anything on anyone. I’ve just overpacked more than once and was trying to help the OP. Again, sorry if I offended, was trying to help. PS: I like my Tempest 30 and used the Gossamer Gear Lumina on the Podiensis last spring. Both pretty comfortable..for me.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
lots of suggestions here. I walked in France, not Spain, so allow for some regional difference. Just a few thoughts.

the 50l pack is too big, and can you really fit a waist pack while wearing the backpack? for that matter why the waist pack?

two different shoes for the walk is a lot, but diversity may make for happier feet. the path GR65 in France was Rocky enough that I needed a stiffer sole and bought Keen newport sandals about 30 percent along the walk. sent the previous, lighter shoes home.

walk as much as you can with your full pack before you leave. carry the exact stuff, and however much food and water you expect to carry. try to do it on a variety of surfaces. I trained on pavement mostly, and the rocks in France early on were harder on feet than I was ready for.

take sunscreen, you'll need it unless you wear long pants and long sleeves all the time. don't forget hands and neck.

If you use luggage transport, is your waist pack enough for the essentials you'll carry during the day?

Not at all. The filling is harder, but the drinking is muuuuh easier. You don't have to pause or break stride, nor do any contortions to get the bottle out of the side pour of the pack.
Well, I never had to contort to find a bottle. I used a front pouch hanging off my pack belt to carry the water bottle so no loss of stride there. It weighs about 40 grams. And I never had to take my pack off to fill my water bottle.

Clothing:

2 pairs of hiking shorts
2 hiking t-shirts
1 tank top

3 pairs underwear
2 sports bras

1 lightweight fleece

Keen sandals
Altra Trail Runners

Other stuff:

Headlamp
Platypus water bladder
Shower bag with S-hook
Sunscreen

Thyme
Hi Thyme. I’m not sure how to do this but I live really near you in Ballston Spa and am thinking of going back on the Camino in September. Can you message me? I’d love to talk to you. Thanks, Cherry

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.