• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Am I packing too much?

Time of past OR future Camino
September, 2023
To start - I'm about to become a nomad. All my worldly possessions will be inside one 26" suitcase and laptop backpack, both will be staying in London at a friend's house while I go to Spain for 3 months. About half that time walking the Camino Frances. Which means the things inside my backpack I'm kind of stuck with for the whole trip. Some of the stuff listed I'll be wearing, but for the purpose of weighing my pack, I pulled them out of my suitcase where I'm whittling down my worldly belongings, and put them in my backpack. The weight will be slightly off, considering I'll be wearing one of each clothes items. I didn't include my hiking shoes that I'll be wearing.

I will be wearing a slim fanny pack where my iPhone, slim wallet, passport, credential, lip balm, and cash will be on my person. I've worn this fanny pack with my backpack. No interference. All good. Backpack weighs 2.75 lbs empty. I'll be hitting the Camino starting around 3rd week of September, so considering the need for warmer clothes and rain gear. Prepared to buy on the walk if needed.

Rate my packing list:

Gregory Jade 38 backpack, comes with rain cover
Sleeping bag + compression pack - weighs just under a pound
Longsinger rain poncho, big enough to cover me and backpack
Headlamp + charge cord
Microfiber towel
Dry bag
Sea to Summit clothesline
2 long sleeve shirts, light weight, quick dry, SPF protection
1 hiking leggings
1 Columbia hiking leggings with zip offs
1 hiking shorts
3 pairs merino socks
2 pairs injinji toe sock liners
1 pair waterproof socks
Hiking sandals
3 pairs underwear
2 sports bras
Light sweater
First aid/blister kit in zip lock bag
Toothbrush, toothpaste, floss (courtesy last dentist check up)
Citronella insect repel bracelets
Package (42) flushable wipes
Face mask
Sun glasses
Sunscreen stick
Hat
Buff
Eye mask for sleeping
2 golf balls (foot massage)
Scrub mitt for clothes washing (Dr Bronnerā€™s 2 oz. 18 in 1 soap in first aid bag)
Portable charger
iPhone cable
Plug adapter
Camera ā€“ small point and shoot with charger
Shopping bag, folds into little bag
Stone
Brita water bottle
Yeti travel mug

Weighed in at 18 pounds. Yikes! The Brita had water in it. I pulled it out and weighed again at 16 pounds. I bought that Brita with filter specifically for the Camino, but I get it. Leave it with my stuff in England. I'm thinking of ditching the sweater and buying a hoodie somewhere along the route when the weather begins to turn.

The waterproof socks are when it rains to wear with my sandals. This combo will be easier to wash off mud and dry faster than my shoes.

The shirts and pants are lightweight and quick dry. The little camera fits inside one of my hip pockets. And yes, I'm a photographer. It kills me not to take a better camera and to leave my camcorder in England.

I'm also open to using that shopping bag to put my sleeping bag and other things I don't need for the day and use a transporter to get it to that night's lodging, other than it means I have to plan where I'm staying ahead instead of winging it. I'm used to walking with a backpack and weight. Sure, I say that now... I looked at this post where this blogger uses the same backpack, but seems to travel the Camino with a lot more stuff than I'm carrying. https://marisahikes.wordpress.com/

What wiggle room do I have?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Well, it looks OK. Iā€™m struggling as to how it comes to 18 pounds though - could you weigh it again excluding what youā€™ll be wearing as a walking outfit?

The camera (were you not a photographer), mug, scrub-mitt and clothesline are fairly obvious candidates for removing - Iā€™d suggest adding in a few pairs of earplugs though.

Youā€™re certainly right to anticipate rain in September, and it can be cool when the sun goes down.

Your list looks reasonable. Everybody does things a bit differently with the small stuff. I was also surprised at the 16 pounds, even after the water was removed. Perhaps the hiking sandals are fairly heavy. However, what is important is how comfortable you are with that weight, day after day.

A couple of other points...
Can you get the whiffle ball type - they would be lighter.
floss (courtesy last dentist check up)
Haha. My dentist's samples only have a few meters, which would not last me very long. So, I take a proper size container that is half used.
Please don't flush these in toilets. Here is what Metro Vancouver says about them:

What If the Label Says ā€˜Flushableā€™?
Products that say theyā€™re flushable ā€“ like tampons and wipes ā€“ may make it down your toilet, but they might not make it through the sewer. There are currently no regulations to specify which products can be labelled ā€œflushableā€. Cities around the world are developing standards to more accurately label whether or not products are truly flushable. For now, put them in the trash (including wipes labelled ā€œcompostableā€ or ā€œbiodegradableā€).

I take just a few wipes for the plane trip and then a couple for very occasional use.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
To start - I'm about to become a nomad. All my worldly possessions will be inside one 26" suitcase and laptop backpack, both will be staying in London at a friend's house while I go to Spain for 3 months. About half that time walking the Camino Frances. Which means the things inside my backpack I'm kind of stuck with for the whole trip. Some of the stuff listed I'll be wearing, but for the purpose of weighing my pack, I pulled them out of my suitcase where I'm whittling down my worldly belongings, and put them in my backpack. The weight will be slightly off, considering I'll be wearing one of each clothes items. I didn't include my hiking shoes that I'll be wearing.

I will be wearing a slim fanny pack where my iPhone, slim wallet, passport, credential, lip balm, and cash will be on my person. I've worn this fanny pack with my backpack. No interference. All good. Backpack weighs 2.75 lbs empty. I'll be hitting the Camino starting around 3rd week of September, so considering the need for warmer clothes and rain gear. Prepared to buy on the walk if needed.

Rate my packing list:

Headlamp + charge cord
Microfiber towel
Dry bag
1 hiking leggings
1 hiking shorts
3 pairs merino socks
1 pair waterproof socks
Hiking sandals
3 pairs underwear
2 sports bras
Light sweater
Face mask
Sun glasses
Sunscreen stick
Hat
Buff
Eye mask for sleeping
Scrub mitt for clothes washing (Dr Bronnerā€™s 2 oz. 18 in 1 soap in first aid bag)
Portable charger
iPhone cable
Plug adapter
Stone
Brita water bottle
Yeti travel mug

Weighed in at 18 pounds. Yikes! The Brita had water in it. I pulled it out and weighed again at 16 pounds. I bought that Brita with filter specifically for the Camino, but I get it. Leave it with my stuff in England. I'm thinking of ditching the sweater and buying a hoodie somewhere along the route when the weather begins to turn.

The waterproof socks are when it rains to wear with my sandals. This combo will be easier to wash off mud and dry faster than my shoes.

The shirts and pants are lightweight and quick dry. The little camera fits inside one of my hip pockets. And yes, I'm a photographer. It kills me not to take a better camera and to leave my camcorder in England.

I'm also open to using that shopping bag to put my sleeping bag and other things I don't need for the day and use a transporter to get it to that night's lodging, other than it means I have to plan where I'm staying ahead instead of winging it. I'm used to walking with a backpack and weight. Sure, I say that now... I looked at this post where this blogger uses the same backpack, but seems to travel the Camino with a lot more stuff than I'm carrying. https://marisahikes.wordpress.com/

To help me decide what to bring, I usually pack my bag, then unpack it and ask myself, "why do I need that..." but then sometimes I don't listen to myself.. Enjoy the Way and Buen Camino...!

Hello, VintageCowgirl, I am also surprised at the total weight. I have walked in October, and use the same sized Gregory pack. Our pack lists are similar too, minus 1 pr pants, shorts, and fewer underthings and socks; no scrubber, wipes (ditto what C Clearly says), poncho (sub rain jacket), eye mask (use a buff). In fact, mine adds some things in the "small stuff" sack that might weigh more...My pack weighs in at just under 10 lbs. All I can suggest is that cork balls are lighter than golf balls. (LOVE the wiffle ball suggestion above!) And consider carrying half a Dr B bar of soap, if possible, instead of using the liquid version (my 2 oz bottle spilled on day 3.) I find that two .5 liter water bottles are the lightest system for carrying water, and are reusable for an entire camino. Buen camino, both Camino Frances and camino nĆ³mada de la vida!

ā‚¬2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Well, it looks OK. Iā€™m struggling as to how it comes to 18 pounds though - could you weigh it again excluding what youā€™ll be wearing as a walking outfit?

The camera (were you not a photographer), mug, scrub-mitt and clothesline are fairly obvious candidates for removing - Iā€™d suggest adding in a few pairs of earplugs though.

Youā€™re certainly right to anticipate rain in September, and it can be cool when the sun goes down.
Seeing as how I had the backpack loaded I went out for a short 3km walk wearing it. The hip belt really is amazing. I barely feel this compared to my laptop bag that doesn't have a hip belt, and that feels much heavier. It was 15 pounds when I weighed it now, minus both water containers, and I left the sweater in. I can't really remove the Yeti mug if I'm removing the Brita. I need to carry water in something!

Just weighed the sandals - 1.16 lbs. They're closed toe, breathable, and very comfortable. I often hike in them. So I guess they are the heaviest items in the pack.

I've been sleeping with earplugs for over 40 years now. They're in my first aid pack.

Your list looks reasonable. Everybody does things a bit differently with the small stuff. I was also surprised at the 16 pounds, even after the water was removed. Perhaps the hiking sandals are fairly heavy. However, what is important is how comfortable you are with that weight, day after day.
Sandals - 1.16 lbs.
Can you get the whiffle ball type - they would be lighter.
Never thought about whiffle balls. I scooped the yellow golf balls at a company tournament last September. I could ditch them and look for whiffles on the Camino!
Haha. My dentist's samples only have a few meters, which would not last me very long. So, I take a proper size container that is half used.
22ml of Colgate from the last two dentist visits, but was only thinking of packing 1.
Please don't flush these in toilets. Here is what Metro Vancouver says about them:
I wasn't thinking about flushing them. More for hand or face wiping and toss in garbage can after. Or possible nature calls emergency on the trail, which would be rare for me. In which case I'm also bringing some baggies and again into a garbage can.

ā‚¬2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello, VintageCowgirl, I am also surprised at the total weight. I have walked in October, and use the same sized Gregory pack. Our pack lists are similar too, minus 1 pr pants, shorts, and fewer underthings and socks; no scrubber, wipes (ditto what C Clearly says), poncho (sub rain jacket), eye mask (use a buff). In fact, mine adds some things in the "small stuff" sack that might weigh more...My pack weighs in at just under 10 lbs. All I can suggest is that cork balls are lighter than golf balls. (LOVE the wiffle ball suggestion above!) And consider carrying half a Dr B bar of soap, if possible, instead of using the liquid version (my 2 oz bottle spilled on day 3.) I find that two .5 liter water bottles are the lightest system for carrying water, and are reusable for an entire camino. Buen camino, both Camino Frances and camino nĆ³mada de la vida!
I'm not used to sleeping with an eye mask, but I know that people turning on lights or opening a door and I see light will wake me up more than noises. Unless the noises are very loud. I just tried the buff but I can see right through it! Yes, I'm thinking just buy a couple of .5 liter waters and then refilling them the rest of the camino might be the way to go. The liquid version of Dr Bronners to wash myself, my hair, and my clothes, but I plan to get a small zip lock bag and keep it separate inside the larger zip lock just in case of possible leaks. And thank you! I'm going to fit in housesitting inbetween travels until I find the place to stick around awhile.

PS. Ah! I do not have a 2nd pair of walking/hiking shoes, but instead just a cheap pair of plastic sandals for showers/evening. They've lasted two pilgrimages so far...
My sandals will work really well for the rest of the time I'm in Spain.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The Yeti tumbler is not really a mug like a drinking cup. It's a really expensive travel mug that my last company gave to all staff as a gift. Keeps hot drinks hot for hours and likewise with cold drinks.

My only concern about the water in Spain is from living in Madrid when I was younger and the fluoride in the water gave me stomach aches. Putting it in the fridge overnight was the only solution. I was thinking the Brita with the filter might help.

I have removed one piece of every clothing I would wear while walking. I also left out the Brita and the Yeti, the light sweater, the golf balls, the mitt (which is actually for horse grooming), and one pair of socks and I'm under 13 pounds! Maybe I can put that pair of socks back in.

Backpack weight.jpeg

The Yeti tumbler is not really a mug like a drinking cup. It's a really expensive travel mug that my last company gave to all staff as a gift. Keeps hot drinks hot for hours and likewise with cold drinks.

My only concern about the water in Spain is from living in Madrid when I was younger and the fluoride in the water gave me stomach aches. Putting it in the fridge overnight was the only solution. I was thinking the Brita with the filter might help.

I have removed one piece of every clothing I would wear while walking. I also left out the Brita and the Yeti, the light sweater, the golf balls, the mitt (which is actually for horse grooming), and one pair of socks and I'm under 13 pounds! Maybe I can put that pair of socks back in.

View attachment 150798
I would bring the extra socks. I found I needed the three pairs I brought on both my caminos. Again, I say keep the Yeti at home especially if it has special meaning because you could lose it. Bring one golf ball. I just did the CP and experienced plantar fasciitis for the first time and I could not find anything like a golf ball or lacrosse ball to help. Honestly you can add back in clothes that you feel are critical. On my first Camino I was insane about weighing everything and my most recent Camino I wasnā€™t as insane and I am sure my pack weighed more but I didnā€™t notice.

I have a CPAP Machine and my pack weighs 6 kilos. I overpack every year and this year was no different. This is my 6th trip to the Camino and I had a half to a full kilo of stuff I didn't need. It happens. Don't take anything take can't bear to part with...the Camino teaches what you can live without.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I would bring the extra socks. I found I needed the three pairs I brought on both my caminos. Again, I say keep the Yeti at home especially if it has special meaning because you could lose it. Bring one golf ball. I just did the CP and experienced plantar fasciitis for the first time and I could not find anything like a golf ball or lacrosse ball to help. Honestly you can add back in clothes that you feel are critical. On my first Camino I was insane about weighing everything and my most recent Camino I wasnā€™t as insane and I am sure my pack weighed more but I didnā€™t notice.
Thank you. I'll throw those socks back inside and one golf ball. I've had plantar fasciitis years ago and don't want a surprise return visit.

I have a CPAP Machine and my pack weighs 6 kilos. I overpack every year and this year was no different. This is my 6th trip to the Camino and I had a half to a full kilo of stuff I didn't need. It happens. Don't take anything take can't bear to part with...the Camino teaches what you can live without.
Including water?

Right now I'm learning to live without a lot moving on with life. Just what I can take in my suitcase or laptop bag. I'm donating stuff before I begin my next career as a nomad. Eventually want to ditch the suitcase and get a larger backpack. There are some things I've packed that I might not need like blister cushions and bandaids. The sleeping bag takes up the most space, but looking around Gronze I see albergues that rent bedding and others that don't supply bedding at all. But obviously not as crucial as a CPAP. I'm already going through withdrawals about not bringing my Kindle, even though I often put it in the backpack on practice walks.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Right now I'm learning to live without a lot moving on with life. Just what I can take in my suitcase or laptop bag. I'm donating stuff before I begin my next career as a nomad. Eventually want to ditch the suitcase and get a larger backpack. There are some things I've packed that I might not need like blister cushions and bandaids. The sleeping bag takes up the most space, but looking around Gronze I see albergues that rent bedding and others that don't supply bedding at all. But obviously not as crucial as a CPAP. I'm already going through withdrawals about not bringing my Kindle, even though I often put it in the backpack on practice walks.
As I said, it happens and the Camino is a great place to start to simplify your life. Bring something to sleep in (bag or blanket) unless you are only staying at hotels or places with linens. If you are staying at albergues at a minimum you should have a silk liner bag.

I had a Kindle on my first Camino, but no phone. Now I just use the Kindle reader app on my phone. The reason I say don't bring things you are attached to is that is easy to leave something by accident. Phone chargers are a common lost item for us as an example, but it has taught me that I don't have to have my phone at all times. Also sounds like you have a good phone with a good camera. Consider using your phone and leaving the camera behind with your things. It is another thing to keep track of every day. I always carry too many little things that add up in the end. This year I had a sewing kit, a small hand held light, a backpack that wads up into a tiny ball, a pack of wipes, 3 little tubes of toothpaste, a bag of too many safety pins (I use them to hang out laundry, but brought way too many this year), a bag of instant coffee that I don't even like (got a kind I like here, but out of stinginess, have not discarded the other...)

I have a simple microwavable cup in my pack which I can use as a coffee cup. My water bottles are the single use kind you buy off the shelf and I refill them everytime there is a fountain. I don't believe all water in Spain has additives so unless you're in Madrid long term, I doubt you will need the filter.

It is a process to wean yourself away from things and it will happen either painfully or by natural process. Give yourself time both to grieve what you are leaving and to embrace your new chosen life.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You
Plug adapter
You can an buy EU type charger with two round prongs in the UK, e.g. at Boots The Chemist, so you wonĀ“t need the adapter. The ĀØflushableĀØ (not) wipes are a big no-no. take a small hand sanitiser instead. YouĀ“ll rrun out of them pretty soon anyway.
The insect repellent bracelets wonĀ“t work (especially vs bedbugs).
Anything else, you can ditch en route. There are also shops along the way where you can buy an extra top if you need it.
Actually, 16 lbs =7.3 kgs in my language, and that is pretty good going. I think youĀ“re good to go.

What really helped me was to start a spreadsheet with every item i'll be taking and it's weight, then pondering if i really need it or if i can find a lighter option that will offer me comparable comfort.
Thanks to quite some time during Covid (and money to spare for some expensive but very light items) i came up with my 3,6kg/8lbs list which i posted here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ll-comfort-for-me-at-least.74766/post-1028828

You can go and look and maybe you'll get an inspiration or two, but to be honest, with 7,3kg backpack weight you'll still be OK. If you can shave a little weight of, good, if not, no big deal.

Extra ear plugs as Henry says, great for helping others out. List looks pretty good

My pack weight has dropped every camino but often the stuff that didn't get used was bad weather gear. The moment I dont pack it... I know what will happen

How many days could you go without hand washing ? If it's more than 2 I'd guess you could have 1 set too many but each to their own. Washing facilities are pretty much always available. Drying ...not so much and weather dependent

As first time lists go.... pretty good imho

Rate my packing list:

Headlamp + charge cord
Microfiber towel
Dry bag
1 hiking leggings
1 hiking shorts
3 pairs merino socks
1 pair waterproof socks
Hiking sandals
3 pairs underwear
2 sports bras
Light sweater
Face mask
Sun glasses
Sunscreen stick
Hat
Buff
Eye mask for sleeping
Portable charger
iPhone cable
Plug adapter
Stone
Brita water bottle
Yeti travel mug

I think you have done well. There are a few extras which you can donate at most albergues as you go. Perhaps you can post the new weight in about a month with things you have learned.

Rate my packing list:

Headlamp + charge cord
Microfiber towel
Dry bag
1 hiking leggings
1 hiking shorts
3 pairs merino socks
1 pair waterproof socks
Hiking sandals
3 pairs underwear
2 sports bras
Light sweater
Face mask
Sun glasses
Sunscreen stick
Hat
Buff
Eye mask for sleeping
Portable charger
iPhone cable
Plug adapter
Stone
Brita water bottle
Yeti travel mug

Rate my packing list:

Headlamp + charge cord
Microfiber towel
Dry bag
1 hiking leggings
1 hiking shorts
3 pairs merino socks
1 pair waterproof socks
Hiking sandals
3 pairs underwear
2 sports bras
Light sweater
Face mask
Sun glasses
Sunscreen stick
Hat
Buff
Eye mask for sleeping
Portable charger
iPhone cable
Plug adapter
Stone
Brita water bottle
Yeti travel mug

Hi Michelle, what an exciting life you have!! Here are my thoughts. Do you need 2 options for leggings, since you have the zip offs? I had to ditch my rechargable headlamp after 2 days as the electric supply wasn't enough to keep it charged for more than an hour. Also, if it rains your feet will get wet no matter what you have on them, I'd ditch the h20proof socks. You don't need a water filter either (Brita), or a yeti mug. Just my thoughts! Buen Camino!

I donā€™t know what the Sea to Summit clothesline is like, but Iā€™ve found that a length of thin nylon twine and a few safety pins work well. Also, I was adamant that I needed my Kindle. During the 16 days I walked, I rarely used it. After I injured my knee and had to end my walk, I read all the time. So, itā€™s a good backup plan.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'd say that's a very good list.....I quit bringing a clothesline after my first 3 caminos where I never used it....I like the suggestion about waffle balls...clever....

Last edited:

Rate my packing list:

Headlamp + charge cord
Microfiber towel
Dry bag
1 hiking leggings
1 hiking shorts
3 pairs merino socks
1 pair waterproof socks
Hiking sandals
3 pairs underwear
2 sports bras
Light sweater
Face mask
Sun glasses
Sunscreen stick
Hat
Buff
Eye mask for sleeping
Portable charger
iPhone cable
Plug adapter
Stone
Brita water bottle
Yeti travel mug

im sure 1 golf ball will do ! i was at 7kg inc bag - when i reviewed what id used at the end i could have been down just below 6 easy - i would also just use phone as camera. i combined a buff as my towel ie a very light cotton scarf - that was much bigger than those micro towels. i just drank the fountain water and was fine. fleece jumpers are light and warm

I am walking for six weeks in September and thought my kindle should come but after seeing a woman reading in her phone last time I flew so I tried it. I have two apps- Kindle and Libby ( for my local library) snd I just finished reading my 5th book on my phone. I like it so wonā€™t bring my kindle in September.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You can never start with too much or too little. If you need something. Buy it, if you see that you don't need it toss it

You can never start with too much or too little. If you need something. Buy it, if you see that you don't need it toss it
According to Ivar, who I had the pleasure of meeting on my last arrival in Santiago earlier this year; some people start with vastly too much. His daily deliveries of packages to hold, apparently, often contain Scandinaviansā€™ camping gear and Koreansā€™ food supplies!

I do subscribe to your ā€˜just toss itā€™ view - or preferably donate or recycle. Much of my Camino gear is long overdue for recycling, but still does itā€™s job.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

ā‚¬149,-

Rate my packing list:

Headlamp + charge cord
Microfiber towel
Dry bag
1 hiking leggings
1 hiking shorts
3 pairs merino socks
1 pair waterproof socks
Hiking sandals
3 pairs underwear
2 sports bras
Light sweater
Face mask
Sun glasses
Sunscreen stick
Hat
Buff
Eye mask for sleeping
Portable charger
iPhone cable
Plug adapter
Stone
Brita water bottle
Yeti travel mug

Hi VintageCowgirl,
Like you, I researched and pondered gear and itā€™s
weight, worth doing. I will say I simply wish I had done more hiking on varied terrain. Loose rocks, mud, Water obstacles, steep uphills and downhills, cobblestones, and packed dirt are a few of the things you may encounter. I would also mention in
all types of weather: rain, heat, wind, and storms.
I would also prep for tortilla exhaustion!
Work your gear, less is best, and fitter means
faster.
Buen Camino!

As I said, it happens and the Camino is a great place to start to simplify your life. Bring something to sleep in (bag or blanket) unless you are only staying at hotels or places with linens. If you are staying at albergues at a minimum you should have a silk liner bag.
I'm planning to do a combo of municipal and private albergues. Perhaps an occasional hotel. I looked at liner bags but ultimately chose the sleeping bag due to it's light weight and compression sack.

You

You can an buy EU type charger with two round prongs in the UK, e.g. at Boots The Chemist, so you wonĀ“t need the adapter. The ĀØflushableĀØ (not) wipes are a big no-no. take a small hand sanitiser instead. YouĀ“ll rrun out of them pretty soon anyway.
The insect repellent bracelets wonĀ“t work (especially vs bedbugs).
Anything else, you can ditch en route. There are also shops along the way where you can buy an extra top if you need it.
Actually, 16 lbs =7.3 kgs in my language, and that is pretty good going. I think youĀ“re good to go.
Thank you! A lifetime of dogs and horses and dirty hands so I always have wipes. I already have the adaptor and it has 2 spots to plug in cables plus a plug, which only my mini charger needs.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

ā‚¬149,-
FYI, after this last post, I have left the instant coffee I don't like for other pilgrims at this albergue. Thank you for reminding my to share with others things I no longer need.
Way to go! I'm not a coffee person, so bringing instant coffee wouldn't have even occurred to me.

Hi Michelle, what an exciting life you have!! Here are my thoughts. Do you need 2 options for leggings, since you have the zip offs? I had to ditch my rechargable headlamp after 2 days as the electric supply wasn't enough to keep it charged for more than an hour. Also, if it rains your feet will get wet no matter what you have on them, I'd ditch the h20proof socks. You don't need a water filter either (Brita), or a yeti mug. Just my thoughts! Buen Camino!
The plan is to wear one leggings while walking, change into the other when I stop for the night. Wash my clothes, and sleep in the fresh leggings and shirt so I'm ready to start the day. So yes, I'm counting on both pairs so I don't have to walk around the albergue in my underwear!

My headlamp I haven't charged in nearly a year and a half and it's still working. Not that I use it frequently, but I know for a fact it has a few hours on one charge. It turns on/off waving my hand in front of it and has different lights including a red light which might be slightly albergue friendly if I'm prowling around in the dark.

I donā€™t know what the Sea to Summit clothesline is like, but Iā€™ve found that a length of thin nylon twine and a few safety pins work well. Also, I was adamant that I needed my Kindle. During the 16 days I walked, I rarely used it. After I injured my knee and had to end my walk, I read all the time. So, itā€™s a good backup plan.
Here's a video of a man showing what this clothesline is. Very compact. Just in case I need to string a line on the bunk bed to hang up clothes.

I am walking for six weeks in September and thought my kindle should come but after seeing a woman reading in her phone last time I flew so I tried it. I have two apps- Kindle and Libby ( for my local library) snd I just finished reading my 5th book on my phone. I like it so wonā€™t bring my kindle in September.
I've had the Kindle app on my phone for 13 years at least. One of the first apps I got on my first iPhone! I've decided that will do for me on the Camino. Maybe I'll be so tired when I get into bed that I won't even want to read at all.

Sorry for being dense but could you explain your post. I donā€™t understand 1039 or see a website or see how a website is perfect for pack weight. Thanks
LOL. I was wondering that too but decided to move along! Thanks for asking!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi VintageCowgirl,
Like you, I researched and pondered gear and itā€™s
weight, worth doing. I will say I simply wish I had done more hiking on varied terrain. Loose rocks, mud, Water obstacles, steep uphills and downhills, cobblestones, and packed dirt are a few of the things you may encounter. I would also mention in
all types of weather: rain, heat, wind, and storms.
I would also prep for tortilla exhaustion!
Work your gear, less is best, and fitter means
faster.
Buen Camino!
I think I've always been part mountain goat! As for terrain, I don't like bushwacking or walking through clay. Especially if it's raining or just finished raining. Tortilla exhaustion. Sounds like an eating challenge I might be up for!

Here's a video of a man showing what this clothesline is. Very compact. Just in case I need to string a line on the bunk bed to hang up clothes.
Had the exact same clothesline on my first camino. Used it once. Could have used something else. Did not take it on my second and did not miss it.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Rate my packing list:

Headlamp + charge cord
Microfiber towel
Dry bag
1 hiking leggings
1 hiking shorts
3 pairs merino socks
1 pair waterproof socks
Hiking sandals
3 pairs underwear
2 sports bras
Light sweater
Face mask
Sun glasses
Sunscreen stick
Hat
Buff
Eye mask for sleeping
Portable charger
iPhone cable
Plug adapter
Stone
Brita water bottle
Yeti travel mug

My answer to this question when I ask it is always yes. I keep my pack under 6kg, including 0.5 litre of water. Itā€™s not a sacrifice for me. What I find hard is putting my lunch in my pack! I have never regretted not having something. Someone else has it, or I can buy it. You will have a great time.

The View attachment 150948
You can organise your items .Here is the YouTube link.

Thanks anyway. I went to the website and they wanted me to register then
I saw I could skip it. I think either you or the site is New Zeland based. I started looking at it and then I said to myself, self you have been wearing the same stuff for the last 5 caminos. This year for camino 8 I just bought a new pair of Brooks trail runners.
Last years model saved about $40. A couple of new pairs of socks as I noticed that the old ones will have holes really soon and a pair of long Johns to wear at night. My ā€œfriendā€ borrowed my other pair. I know they are not called that anymore but I forgot the name. Got them at REI. Thanks anyway, shopping for clothes on or off the camino bores me to death.

Sweater? I took a lightweight easily compressible down vest. Kept my torso warm, dried quickly, took up little space and weighed next to nothing. Also, phone as light and ditch the headlamp? Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Try actually walking for 2-3 hours with the pack holding everything on the list.
Then you will know.

On all of my Caminos (#3) I left stuff behind to lighten up. Including my sleeping
bag on the first Camino which took up too much room in the pack.

Very easy to leave stuff.
You list looks reasonable to me.

Thanks anyway. I went to the website and they wanted me to register then
I saw I could skip it. I think either you or the site is New Zeland based. I started looking at it and then I said to myself, self you have been wearing the same stuff for the last 5 caminos. This year for camino 8 I just bought a new pair of Brooks trail runners.
Last years model saved about $40. A couple of new pairs of socks as I noticed that the old ones will have holes really soon and a pair of long Johns to wear at night. My ā€œfriendā€ borrowed my other pair. I know they are not called that anymore but I forgot the name. Got them at REI. Thanks anyway, shopping for clothes on or off the camino bores me to death.
American based. No problems registering, safe.šŸ‡³šŸ‡æšŸ˜Ž

Rate my packing list:

[headlamp and charge cord] these are heavy. get the Flashlight app for your phone and skip this stuff.
Microfiber towel
Dry bag
Does this include clips? I carry a length of paracord and some clothespins.
Okay, I see September. We walked in 2021 in October into November. We started with: merino tee, pullover, nylon (or poly?) longsleeved shirt, [pullover, windbreaker every morning. After the first half an hour we took off the windbreaker. After another hour or so, the pullover came off. Then probably the longsleeved shirt. We would finish the day in tees. But, on the flip side, I have uploaded a pic of me on the way into Fonsagrada (?) on the Primitivo, and it was darned chilly much of the day.

1 hiking leggings
[skip the hiking shorts]
you already have zip off pants. Those are shorts. You don't need hiking leggings in addition to the rest of it. In fact, go with the theory of "wear one outfit, carry a second." Sometimes you will find that you can get another outfit out of the parts that you didn't need to wear. Plan on washing your undies, your sox, and your pants every day.
[3 pairs merino socks
1 pair waterproof socks]
too much. I walk with Injinji toe sox, which are generally liners, don't need more. I believe that one more pair of sox than your days' clothes is enough. Also, one more pair of undies than your days' clothes. So if you wear one and carry one, you have 3 pairs of sox, including the ones on your feet, and 3 undies, including the ones on your bum.
Hiking sandals
Why? Are these shower/dorm/dinner things? Go for the lightest you can find.
3 pairs underwear
2 sports bras
Light sweater [sweater or pullover fleece, whatever you like]
ahhh...alcohol hand sanitizer, some gauze, a tiny scissors, and some paper surgical tape. But that's what works for me.
[Citronella insect repel bracelets
Package (42) flushable wipes]
Why? Take a camper's tp roll, and hope you don't actually need it. I have never needed insect repellent on the various Camino routes I have walked. PS If you have a brand name item, like Pepto Bismol or bufferin, take that. No pharmacy in Spain has the brand name OTC things that you are used to.
[Face mask]
Not necessary. If you have a buff, that will do in a pinch, but nobody is all uptight about this any more.
[Eye mask for sleeping]
I only needed this item in Leon in the albergue, and since I didn't have it I just dealt with it. There was a street light shining in the window of the dorm, but rolling over and closing eyes does a lot.
2 golf balls (foot massage) You have the plantar fasciitis?
[Scrub mitt for clothes washing (Dr Bronnerā€™s 2 oz. 18 in 1 soap in first aid bag)]
Okay, you don't need a scrub mitt to wash your clothes. The soap you might want, but I will tell you that I get the smallest mild dish soap in the grocery store and use it for: hair, bod, laundry, and hands as the opportunity arises. Have never regretted this choice. This last time, I bought the smallest bottle of Fairy Aloe Dish Soap in Seville, we both used it for everything, and when we had to suspend (leg injury) we left about a half bottle of it behind in the Casa de Huespedes when we left to MAD to fly home. Any mild soap/detergent product will do the job.
[Portable charger
iPhone cable
Plug adapter]
I hear you. Consider buying the local format charger plug.
[Camera ā€“ small point and shoot with charger]
If you have the Iphone, you probably have all the camera you need. I remember how much extra weight the 12 oz camera was, also the tablet computer. These days, your phone is a good camera and it also can have the Kindle if you want to read things.
Stone
What is the Stone for?
{Brita water bottle}
Just buy a half liter water bottle, wash it every night, and after a week toss it in the trash and get a new one.
[Yeti travel mug]
Why? You already have a water bottle or two. You're going to get a cafe con leche at least once per day. IMHO the travel mug is excess weight.
The sweater will do, as long as it's cozy.
[The waterproof socks are when it rains to wear with my sandals. This combo will be easier to wash off mud and dry faster than my shoes.]
If your shoes aren't water proof (don't ask me about that!) your feet will dry off pretty soon. Waterproof anything is just asking for the sox to bunch up under your feet and make blisters. I have abandoned the waterproof shoes and wear Hoka Speedgoats which have slip resistant soles, and walk in Injinji toe sox. This works for me, especially since my feet sweat.The shirts and pants are lightweight and quick dry. The little camera fits inside one of my hip pockets. And yes, I'm a photographer. It kills me not to take a better camera and to leave my camcorder in England.

On our last Camino, I took a "reusable shopping bag" for my airplane bag, it went under the seat in front of me, and while we were en route DH bought a Decathlon bag (1.25 Euro) and he used it as his under the seat bag on the way home. We took fleece blankets and Cocoon sleep sacks instead of sleeping bags.

When we were on a Camino that had bag transport, we didn't use it as it would compel us to stop at the specified place the collect our stuff. This last time, we were walking from Sevilla and there was no bag transport. But by being careful about weight, and cinching up the straps so the pack wouldn't be too tall, we were okay.

BC

Attachments

• 20211021_153000--web.jpg
    20211021_153000--web.jpg
    676.1 KB · Views: 42
About half that time walking the Camino Frances. Which means the things inside my backpack I'm kind of stuck with for the whole trip. Some of the stuff listed I'll be wearing, but for the purpose of weighing my pack, I pulled them out of my suitcase where I'm whittling down my worldly belongings, and put them in my backpack. The weight will be slightly off, considering I'll be wearing one of each clothes items. I didn't include my hiking shoes that I'll be wearing.

Weighed in at 18 pounds. Yikes!

Not a bad list.

I'd make just two points.

You are not stuck with it all for the whole trip.
It makes no sense to walk for 6 weeks carrying stuff you won't be using.
Just mail the stuff for the 2nd half of the trip to Ivar, for pick up in Santiago.

Second. 18 pounds all up is not that bad.
I assume it includes the pack?

18 pounds is just over 8 kgs. 6-7 would be better.
Remember you have to add water and snacks.

On reading more posts, I see you're down to 13 pounds.
Bingo! That's a good weight. 6 kg.

Last edited:
American based. No problems registering, safe.šŸ‡³šŸ‡æšŸ˜Ž
Thanks for the input but as I said I have worn the same stuff for years. For this year's camino I just bought my new Brooks Cascadias. I also need a new poncho which I will order from Caminoteca and have shipped to my hostel in San Sebastian, As I said also I REALLY hate shopping :):):)

I didn't actually read your list but the 2 golf balls stood out.
If you're bringing golf balls then you're bringing too much.

I suggest adding a neck pouch for passport, credit card, and cash. Those are the critical items that are handy and can be kept hidden. Take a light weight Marino sweater. REI has a deal on them just now. Add a few zip lock bags.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
What is the Stone for?
To leave at the Cruz de Ferro. I went to a lot of trouble returning to my childhood home that my parents sold in 1985 and they turned the front yard into an ornamental garden with rock paths. Someone turned it back to grass (smart move!) but I figured some of those stones had to still be around and I returned and snagged one. I was the one sent out to pull the weeds that grew up between the stones on those paths. Mowing a lawn would have been faster. 50 years later I still haven't let that memory go, so I will leave that burden at the cross!

If this is a synthetic fabric, you only need one, if you are just wearing it while walking. You wash it when you finish walking for the day, and it will certainly be dry for the next morning.
OMG - I'm just going to be walking around the albergue or exploring the town in my bra while I wait for the shirt to dry! LOL!

You are not stuck with it all for the whole trip.
It makes no sense to walk for 6 weeks carrying stuff you won't be using.
Just mail the stuff for the 2nd half of the trip to Ivar, for pick up in Santiago.

Second. 18 pounds all up is not that bad.
I assume it includes the pack?

On reading more posts, I see you're down to 13 pounds.
Bingo! That's a good weight. 6 kg.
Thank you. I'm thinking the weight is fine. The backpack has a very good weight distribution. I feel like I'm carrying less than when I'm wearing my laptop backpack, which is lighter, but no hip belt.

Ivar's website says until the end of September. Any ideas on where I could ship ahead to pick up late October/early November?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Rate my packing list:

Headlamp + charge cord
Microfiber towel
Dry bag
1 hiking leggings
1 hiking shorts
3 pairs merino socks
1 pair waterproof socks
Hiking sandals
3 pairs underwear
2 sports bras
Light sweater
Face mask
Sun glasses
Sunscreen stick
Hat
Buff
Eye mask for sleeping
Portable charger
iPhone cable
Plug adapter
Stone
Brita water bottle
Yeti travel mug

Items that I would consider leaving at home or changing:
Sleeping bag - not really needed but OK. You may want to consider sleeping bag liner instead. All depends when you are going. At worst, if there are no blankets for the few occasions, I would sleep in my clothes.
Headlamp - Not needed unless you plan on hiking at night. Otherwise I would use the light on the phone
Light sweater - I would replace this with a micro-fleece jacket
Citronella insect repel bracelets - useless. Spray clothes and bag before going.
Package (42) flushable wipes - ok but would take less, say a week's worth and buy more as you gp
2 golf balls (foot massage) - Ok but more important to stretch
Scrub mitt for clothes washing - I wouldn't bother
Camera ā€“ small point and shoot with charger - I would use the camera on the phone
Shopping bag - this is fine if it is light. otherwise find a light on
Stone - Yes
Brita water bottle - Yes but only if it is light. I would bring two empty smart water bottles and refill as you go.
Yeti travel mug - Not needed

I suggest adding a neck pouch for passport, credit card, and cash. Those are the critical items that are handy and can be kept hidden. Take a light weight Marino sweater. REI has a deal on them just now. Add a few zip lock bags.
Thank you. My slim fanny pack can also double as a neck pouch. Right now I'm more comfortable with it around my waist than over my shoulder/neck, but that might change depends on the circumstances. I've also practised sleeping with it on around my waist.

Items that I would consider leaving at home or changing:
Sleeping bag - not really needed but OK. You may want to consider sleeping bag liner instead. All depends when you are going. At worst, if there are no blankets for the few occasions, I would sleep in my clothes.
Headlamp - Not needed unless you plan on hiking at night. Otherwise I would use the light on the phone
Light sweater - I would replace this with a micro-fleece jacket
Citronella insect repel bracelets - useless. Spray clothes and bag before going.
Package (42) flushable wipes - ok but would take less, say a week's worth and buy more as you gp
2 golf balls (foot massage) - Ok but more important to stretch
Scrub mitt for clothes washing - I wouldn't bother
Camera ā€“ small point and shoot with charger - I would use the camera on the phone
Shopping bag - this is fine if it is light. otherwise find a light on
Stone - Yes
Brita water bottle - Yes but only if it is light. I would bring two empty smart water bottles and refill as you go.
Yeti travel mug - Not needed
Thank you Ricardo. In 3 weeks I will no longer have a home and will become a citizen of the world. Most of my things are being donated. I will be leaving my suitcase with friends in London while I visit Spain. The sleeping bag is for the nights in albergues that do not provide bedding or charge for bedding. Cleanliness of bedding is also on my mind.

Although I'm not planning hiking at night, I might get going early in the morning before the sun comes up. Having a headlight seems better to keep my hands free than holding a cell phone and using its battery.

I attract mosquitoes. If the citronella bracelets work, great. If not, I'll ditch them.

Golf balls - I've had plantar flasciitis a couple of times in the past, but haven't had an outbreak in over 10 years. Just want a golf ball to massage my feet as a prevention tool against a reappearance.

I tend to use my phone for quick photos where I don't have time to pull out my camera and set up a nice shot. For example a doe and two fawns in my yard this morning. I got the video before they left. Usually I prefer a camera.

And yup I'm ditching the water containers and buying bottle water there and refilling them. Also ditching the mitt.

OMG - I'm just going to be walking around the albergue or exploring the town in my bra while I wait for the shirt to dry! LOL!
Sorry. I see now that those are the only two tops you are taking, except for the light sweater, and you must be sleeping in one of them. Personally, I prefer to have walking clothes that are different from evening/night clothes - one outfit can stay a bit dirty, and the other stays fairly clean, so I don't need to wash them every day. However, if necessary, they can all be layered together.

Ivar's website says until the end of September. Any ideas on where I could ship ahead to pick up late October/early November?
You can ship to the Correos office, or ask @ivar what his plans are for luggage storage past September. He will probably have a more limited schedule.

Thank you. I'm thinking the weight is fine. The backpack has a very good weight distribution. I feel like I'm carrying less than when I'm wearing my laptop backpack, which is lighter, but no hip belt.

Correos. (Post Office) But I think they have a 45 day storage limit.
If you use Chrome browser, it should translate the page.
Or top right on the website, you can select your language.

Seeing as how I had the backpack loaded I went out for a short 3km walk wearing it. The hip belt really is amazing. I barely feel this compared to my laptop bag that doesn't have a hip belt, and that feels much heavier. It was 15 pounds when I weighed it now, minus both water containers, and I left the sweater in. I can't really remove the Yeti mug if I'm removing the Brita. I need to carry water in something!

Just weighed the sandals - 1.16 lbs. They're closed toe, breathable, and very comfortable. I often hike in them. So I guess they are the heaviest items in the pack.

I've been sleeping with earplugs for over 40 years now. They're in my first aid pack.
I saw Crocs worn on the Camino, so I'm taking them as my go-to evening/crossing streams/shower togs. They are fun to see and wear, and mine weigh in at 8 oz. with 2 fun clips (one a clam shell and the other says This is The Way). Check out their website: www.crocs.com. They are cushy and very comfortable.

Rate my packing list:

Headlamp + charge cord
Microfiber towel
Dry bag
1 hiking leggings
1 hiking shorts
3 pairs merino socks
1 pair waterproof socks
Hiking sandals
3 pairs underwear
2 sports bras
Light sweater
Face mask
Sun glasses
Sunscreen stick
Hat
Buff
Eye mask for sleeping
Portable charger
iPhone cable
Plug adapter
Stone
Brita water bottle
Yeti travel mug

That seems like a very modest and well thought out list. You may want one more bra and one more pair of socks. I regretted not having one more of each myself. Is the sleeping bag a sac for the albergues? Does your pack feel comfortable? Looks like a good list overall and not any fluff to remove.

Correos. (Post Office) But I think they have a 45 day storage limit.
If you use Chrome browser, it should translate the page.
Or top right on the website, you can select your language.

Or, you can simply choose English from the drop down language menu. šŸ˜‰

I walked in April/May and I think you are bringing too much. The lighter your pack, the more comfortable you will walk. If helpful, I listed everything I brought with me on my blog. In addition, if you feel you need these items, you can always send them ahead in the post. Good luck.

My suggestions: 1 outfit on, 1 outfit off. 1 outfit for sleep/post shower.
Remove S2S clothesline.
Hiking shorts and hiking leggings with zip offs are duplicating the same thing, pick one.
2 pairs of merino socks is enough.
remove Citronella insect repel bracelets
remove Package (42) flushable wipes
swap golf ball for cork ball. lighter in weight, same use.
remove scrub mitt, almost every albergue has a washer with ridges.
remove Brita water bottle and Yeti travel mug - swap for Katadyn Befree 1L

Last edited:
looks like a typical "light weight" list but you could go a lot lighter if you go minimalist / ultralight. My packing list started out at ~7lb, 14l volume. My wife started lower than me.

Clothing... bring exactly 2 sets... one that you walk in, one that you were while the first set is drying. The "wear while drying" could be just enough to be decent while clothing dries (my approach), identical (what my wife switched to), or something that could be layered on surprisingly cold days (what my wife started with and then abandoned). My wife loved a light weight long sleeve shirt and a decathlon hiking dress. She bought one a year ago on a trip to Portugal and love it so much that purchased a second in a different color in Pamplona.

Unneeded:
Brita water bottle... plenty of fountains with safe drinking water. My wife ended up carrying almost no water because every few hours she would stop for 1-2 cafe con leche which hydrated here enough.
clothesline... albergues typically have plenty, can use hangers, back of chairs, etc in hotels & hostels
waterproof socks... just wash your feet at the end of the day
Scrub mitt... do some exercises to strength hands and work on your technique.
if portable Charger = battery likely not needed. Carried one but never personally used it, but tops some other people up. Depends on your phone battery health and how much you run the maps application.
shopping bag... generally not needed, if it is get plastic one from the grocery store and the reused. If you really want to bring on check out https://nanobag.com/ ... less than 1oz for a 19l bag.

Doesn't work:
citronella bracelets... use Picaridin or DEET. My wife who is a mosquito magnetic had zero bites in May/June. YMMV

Lighter options
Yeti travel mug --> platypus, smart water, other "disposable" water bottle you re-use
Sleeping bag, sweater, big poncho --> sleep sack + light poncho + super light blanket. Description of poncho+liner.
headlamp --> the flashlight on your phone unless you plan to do a lot of hiking in the dark
2 golf balls --> 1 golf ball, or some of the specially designed foot massage balls which tend to be lighter

Love
Hiking sandals + toe socks. provided you have trained your feet. I did the Frances route wearing just Luna sandals + 1 pair of xoskin toe socks (no other footwear). No foot pain, no blisters. Saw numerous people switching to sandals and doing much better after their blisters became unmanageable.

Last edited:
I saw Crocs worn on the Camino, so I'm taking them as my go-to evening/crossing streams/shower togs. They are fun to see and wear, and mine weigh in at 8 oz. with 2 fun clips (one a clam shell and the other says This is The Way). Check out their website: www.crocs.com. They are cushy and very comfortable.
Those Crocs must be real cute! I'm tossing my crocs before leaving home, but I might keep an eye out for a better pair on my travels. Your reasons are exactly the same as for my sandals. Evening/crossing streams/shower. Also for walking through muddy paths.

That seems like a very modest and well thought out list. You may want one more bra and one more pair of socks. I regretted not having one more of each myself. Is the sleeping bag a sac for the albergues? Does your pack feel comfortable? Looks like a good list overall and not any fluff to remove.
Thank you VeganCamino. Finding vegan food on the Camino is another fun challenge ahead for me! I will probably buy another bra when in Spain after the camino. And yes, the pack is comfortable. It doesn't feel too heavy for me. Us horsewomen are pretty tough.

I walked in April/May and I think you are bringing too much. The lighter your pack, the more comfortable you will walk. If helpful, I listed everything I brought with me on my blog. In addition, if you feel you need these items, you can always send them ahead in the post. Good luck.

My suggestions: 1 outfit on, 1 outfit off. 1 outfit for sleep/post shower.
Remove S2S clothesline.
Hiking shorts and hiking leggings with zip offs are duplicating the same thing, pick one.
2 pairs of merino socks is enough.
remove Citronella insect repel bracelets
remove Package (42) flushable wipes
swap golf ball for cork ball. lighter in weight, same use.
remove scrub mitt, almost every albergue has a washer with ridges.
Portable charger
iPhone cable
Plug adapter
Stone
remove Brita water bottle and Yeti travel mug - swap for Katadyn Befree 1L
Thank you. I'm going to be one outfit on, 1 outfit off, and whatever outfit I'm wearing at bedtime I will sleep in and walk in the next day. No specific sleep outfit. Though that hiking shorts could end up being my sleeping shorts if it's too hot. It's also going to be swimming suit bottoms if an opportunity to swim arises.

looks like a typical "light weight" list but you could go a lot lighter if you go minimalist / ultralight. My packing list started out at ~7lb, 14l volume. My wife started lower than me.

Clothing... bring exactly 2 sets... one that you walk in, one that you were while the first set is drying. The "wear while drying" could be just enough to be decent while clothing dries (my approach), identical (what my wife switched to), or something that could be layered on surprisingly cold days (what my wife started with and then abandoned). My wife loved a light weight long sleeve shirt and a decathlon hiking dress. She bought one a year ago on a trip to Portugal and love it so much that purchased a second in a different color in Pamplona.

Unneeded:
Brita water bottle... plenty of fountains with safe drinking water. My wife ended up carrying almost no water because every few hours she would stop for 1-2 cafe con leche which hydrated here enough.
clothesline... albergues typically have plenty, can use hangers, back of chairs, etc in hotels & hostels
waterproof socks... just wash your feet at the end of the day
Scrub mitt... do some exercises to strength hands and work on your technique.
if portable Charger = battery likely not needed. Carried one but never personally used it, but tops some other people up. Depends on your phone battery health and how much you run the maps application.
shopping bag... generally not needed, if it is get plastic one from the grocery store and the reused. If you really want to bring on check out https://nanobag.com/ ... less than 1oz for a 19l bag.

Doesn't work:
citronella bracelets... use Picaridin or DEET. My wife who is a mosquito magnetic had zero bites in May/June. YMMV

Lighter options
Yeti travel mug --> platypus, smart water, other "disposable" water bottle you re-use
Sleeping bag, sweater, big poncho --> sleep sack + light poncho + super light blanket. Description of poncho+liner.
headlamp --> the flashlight on your phone unless you plan to do a lot of hiking in the dark
2 golf balls --> 1 golf ball, or some of the specially designed foot massage balls which tend to be lighter

Love
Hiking sandals + toe socks. provided you have trained your feet. I did the Frances route wearing just Luna sandals + 1 pair of xoskin toe socks (no other footwear). No foot pain, no blisters. Saw numerous people switching to sandals and doing much better after their blisters became unmanageable.
Thank you! The headlamp will work better for me than my phone because I don't have to touch it after putting it on. Don't want to drop the phone or waste battery.

The little shopping bag folds into a packet smaller than my palm is more for the times if I decide to ship stuff ahead to that night's lodging if I'm feeling I need a break. Also for grocery stores.

When I was in high school, toe socks were a thing. Since then I've bought and worn them a few times over the years and I've been practising wearing them and walking with my backpack. I've seen a lot of recommendations to wear them for blister prevention.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

ā‚¬60,-
Walking sandals are one of the best items you can choose to take, IMHO. I changed into my Keens 2/3 of the way through every day, along with a clean pair of socks, and didn't have a single blister from Saint Jean to Santiago. I also just bought one of those hoses that screws onto any bottle and you suck on the other end and used disposable water bottles, the super lightweight kind. Loved that system. And the better you train, the more you can carry.

Oh, yes! I'm sure someone has mentioned this... you want to remember that you'll be carrying food. Always have snacks!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

ā‚¬60,-
I donā€™t understand 1039

It is very simple.

@KiwiJohn wrote "10:39 S" - the colon :)) is important

And the time that Ivar gives for the post is recorded as "10:44 PM Friday".
It took John about 5 minutes to write his piece.

Ivar tells me the web site uses European Central time on the day.

@KiwiJohn has given NZ Standard time when he started which is about 12 hours ahead of .... He also gave a letter that, to me at least, indicates Saturday. (an S in Bold normally indicates Sunday for those who like to know these things).

Being literally ahead of the rest of youse is something we Kiwis often have to cope with!!

Kia kaha, kia māia, kia mana'wa'nui (take care, be strong, confident and patient)

@VintageCowgirl, greetings

I do not intend to comment on any of your choices. You know what you will need for your pilgrimage.

I do commend LighterPack.com as a grand tool to get to find a weight for your preferred set of stuff.

Here is a link the list of rubbish I have chosen to take. The needs on my route will most likely be different from yours, and the groupings will also differ. I have chosen the groupings that best met my needs (which pocket they are stored in).

On registration you are given, in effect, a blank piece of paper, to use as you will.

There are so many philosophies as to what should even be included.

Some say all up weight (you, what you wear and pack plus contents)

At the other end of the spectrum is the pack plus contents excluding consumables.

I hope I am somewhere in the middle pack plus all contents as I start the day.

You will note I include a tent and related items, such as a sleeping pad. This is because on my on my trips I decide to camp when I have not found other accommodation. For me this is not infrequent.

I wish you well on your journey and hope your experiences create some joyful surprises for you.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Rate my packing list:

Headlamp + charge cord
Microfiber towel
Dry bag
1 hiking leggings
1 hiking shorts
3 pairs merino socks
1 pair waterproof socks
Hiking sandals
3 pairs underwear
2 sports bras
Light sweater
Face mask
Sun glasses
Sunscreen stick
Hat
Buff
Eye mask for sleeping
Portable charger
iPhone cable
Plug adapter
Stone
Brita water bottle
Yeti travel mug

I brought fewer ā€œflushableā€ wipes, maybe 6 or 10 (for the emergency pit stop, planning to dispose of them in the trash). At someoneā€™s suggestion I dried them out and put them in a baggie, the theory being that as long as you have a water bottle with you, you can rehydrate one quickly from your water supply. I ended up not using any of the wipes, but did like having them for peace of mind, but I was also glad I dried them out so they weighed less.

VintageCowgirl, you have a very practical list. Of course you do, you are a horse woman (so am I). One common topic of conversation that's always guaranteed to be fun is that of "What was your guilty pleasure?" My luxury item was an electric coil that I used to boil water for coffee. Everyone has something.

ā‚¬149,-
According to Ivar, who I had the pleasure of meeting on my last arrival in Santiago earlier this year; some people start with vastly too much. His daily deliveries of packages to hold, apparently, often contain Scandinaviansā€™ camping gear and Koreansā€™ food supplies!

I do subscribe to your ā€˜just toss itā€™ view - or preferably donate or recycle. Much of my Camino gear is long overdue for recycling, but still does itā€™s job.
"Just Donate It" would be my motto. You can leave things at most albergues that have a "Lost & Found" I've seen Pilgrims with different costumes daily. It would be better if you could wash your donations first.

Rate my packing list:

Headlamp + charge cord
Microfiber towel
Dry bag
1 hiking leggings
1 hiking shorts
3 pairs merino socks
1 pair waterproof socks
Hiking sandals
3 pairs underwear
2 sports bras
Light sweater
Face mask
Sun glasses
Sunscreen stick
Hat
Buff
Eye mask for sleeping
Portable charger
iPhone cable
Plug adapter
Stone
Brita water bottle
Yeti travel mug

I would drop the brita, the yeti, the face mask, the stock of wipes and use disposable water bottles and your cafe con leche will be at a bar or takeaway. Also drop one golf ball and the camera, you have your iphone (i am also a photographer but my better gear is staying at home - rather enjoy a pain free hike). Get your pack under 10% of your bodyweight if you can. Like your flexibility, buy what you need on the way but make sure you pick lightweight items, eg fleece hoody.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Iā€™ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which Iā€™m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.