• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Am I totally insane?

Jamie Louise

Time of past OR future Camino
I plan to walk my first Camino in late July 2016.
Hello!

My name is Jamie and I am from Melbourne, Australia.

I was planning on beginning my Camino in March/April 2016. Fate has a funny way of taking one down a totally different path and I am only am now able to begin planning... For mid July 2016.

I will be beginning my Camino at St. Jean de Pied Port.

A few questions.

Is it crazy to begin late July? I'm ok with heat and prefer heat to rain.
I will be solo so I feel that walking in peak season would be a safer option?
Is there a forum thread I can get on that has others that plan on commencing that time too?
Given that I'm travelling in summer would I also need to take a sleeping bag and warm/protective clothing?

Any tips or reference points? I feel like I've read a ton of blogs and am really excited but also a little scared that I am getting in over my head! (Which is also a major buzz!)

Thanks!

JL

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hey JL.

Yes. You are almost certainly totally insane.

;)

I haven't walked the camino - so I am not qualified to answer, I'm sure that there will be some wise posts any minute now. From what I have read researching my own camino, you should have no problems. Plenty of sun screen and water required though. Buen Camino!

You are seriously thinking of walking nearly 800km across a foreign country in mid-summer. You may not be insane but you are definitely a little peculiar. That goes for most of us here - welcome to the asylum!

I do not know Melbourne's weather but if heat does not trouble you then you should be OK. I'd imagine that an Australian interested in long-distance walking has a better idea than most of us of the importance of staying well hydrated and protecting her skin from too much exposure. On my first Camino Frances I understood neither because I'm a Scot and we never normally see daylight. The result was heatstroke and a neck cracked from ear to ear like a Sunday pork joint :-( If I ever walk in Spain in summer again I will wear a French Foreign Legion kepi like Beau Geste. The last piece of crystal-ball-gazing I read on here predicted there might be upwards of 300,000 Compostelas issued this year - not to mention the people who only walk part of the way for whatever reason. I doubt you will be short of company for long. Despite a few sad and well-publicised incidents the caminos are generally very friendly and safe to walk. Try not to worry. Do stay excited though - planning and anticipation are a huge part of the fun :)

Sleeping bag and warm clothing? Really depends if you handle cold as well as heat. Certainly you have to expect rain at some stage. Galicia is very green for a reason :) Pack something to protect you and your gear from that. I prefer a jacket but many people swear by a big poncho. In July and August I would be far too hot in a sleeping bag and I'd probably just use a silk liner. There are only a handful of places higher up like O Cebreiro that might be cooler. Never going to be properly cold though. Might be worth making a special request for advice from fellow Aussies.

Ultreia!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello!

I was planning on beginning my Camino in March/April 2016. Fate has a funny way of taking one down a totally different path and I am only am now able to begin planning... For mid July 2016.

A few questions.

Is there a forum thread I can get on that has others that plan on commencing that time too?
Given that I'm travelling in summer would I also need to take a sleeping bag and warm/protective clothing?

Any tips or reference points? I feel like I've read a ton of blogs and am really excited but also a little scared that I am getting in over my head! (Which is also a major buzz!)

Thanks!

JL
Hi Jamie, we are all a little insane. I walked my first Camino in September, no need for a sleeping bag and as for warm clothing, I had a very light fleece and a windbreaker. The first few days were very hot, it all depends on what you are used too. There were plenty of pilgrims in September and on into October . I , too started alone but once I started walking did not have a meal alone until the train ride to Madrid after the walk, so I would not worry about being alone. I would agree with Bradypus a silk liner is all you need.

Buen Camino

Welcome to our asylum.
We have a branch in Melbourne which may prove to be of assistance.
http://www.meetup.com/en-AU/Camino-Community/
This forum has a calendar on which you can see other pilgrims who will be departing from St Jean. I contacted some b4 departure and met up with them there.
A sleeping sheet will suffice in summer.
Lots of good info on this forum.
Good planning!
Regards
Gerard (Brissy boy)

Hello!

A few questions.

Thanks!

JL

You will be beginning with many other people and will enjoy many opportunities to meet other pilgrims from around the world. Don't give it another thought or concern. Safety in numbers is always a better option for those who are anxious. As numbers have increased on the Camino there has been a corresponding increase in some safety concerns. Use your common sense and you will be fine - the vast majority of pilgrims have no problems.

A sleeping bag will not be needed - most just use a sleeping bag liner. The link I just gave is for REI, but I know you will have something comparable in Melbourne.

With all your reading I am sure you have already been exposed to the typical packing lists, do's and don'ts, good shoes/boots depending on your choice, etc. If you are in great physical condition you will have no problems. If you have doubts about your physical condition, then take your time at the beginning. GO SLOW for three or four days and then you will sense when you are ready to lengthen your stride. The Camino is not a race; it is yours to walk like you want.

Buen Camino,

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.