• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anhu shoes

peregrina2000

Staff member
I wonder if anyone has any information or opinions about this brand. My small local hiking/outdoor store just started to carry them and says they are very popular. Since everything comes to my town years after it arrives in other places, I'm hoping some of you have already walked in these shoes and can give me some idea why they are popular. I am now on my second pair of a Salomon model I like a lot, and before that I wore a North Face model for about 8 caminos till they discontinued it, so I tend to stay with the same shoe for a while. But I wouldn't mind something a bit higher than what I've got now, and I've seen a couple of Anhu boots that might be good candidates.

Thanks! Laurie

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Laurie. I got a pair of Ahnu trail shoes about a month ago and I really like them. I tried several shoes on at REI and these felt great in the store and have continued to work for me on my 5 mile daily walks over the last month. They are a good balance of support, light weight, breathability and stability. Of course, everyone's feet are so different that it is hard to make specific recommendations. That said, I personally prefer a boot on the Camino, for all of the reasons discussed by others in other threads. I got my Ahnu shoes for pack-free walks at home during the hot Arizona summer when my Gore-Tex Salomon Quest 4D GTX Hiking Boots are overkill.

Since you are in the U.S., I am a big advocate of ordering from REI. They have excellent mail order service and will take anything back at any time for a full refund. You can walk in shoes for a week or more if you need to seen how they work for you and still send them back. Before my getting my beloved Salomon boots, I bought an expensive/high quality pair of Asolo boots. On my first walk, they began to shred my heal. I figured that I needed to just break them in more. After a week of walks (40+ miles), my feet were blistered all over. I went to REI and despite the fact that they had clearly been used on trails, the only question they had was "Would you like a refund or to exchange them for something else." That said, we all need to not abuse this wonderful customer service..... I once went to an REI sale where they sell all of the items that have been returned. There was a pair of used boots that I swear had circumnavigated the globe; the tread on the soles was worn to almost nothing and the leather uppers looked as though they had seen 20 years of service in the Roman legions. On the tag it listed the reason for the return as "Gave customer a blister." No other company I know would take back any shoes with even minor wear; REI is the wonderful exception.

As a side note, I noticed that Salomon were by far the most popular choice on the Camino when I walked last year. Might just be that they are easily available in the EU, but I can personally vouch for them.

Due to years of people abusing REI's generous return policy, they recently changed it. "If you are not satisfied with your REI purchase, you can return it for a replacement or refund. Items must be returned within a year of purchase, except items purchased from REI-OUTLET which must be returned within 30 days of purchase. REI’s guarantee doesn’t cover ordinary wear and tear or damage caused by improper use or accidents."

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My wife bought Ahnu Montaras at REI and loved then. She was so pleased with her's I found Ahnu Mendicinos for me. I'm really happy with mine as well.

We've been training for the Camino for a few months and have been done many long hikes in our Ahnus.

As another poster said, everyone is different, but I'd suggest you give them a try.

Personally, I find the men's Mendicino to be of average width in toe box and heel. I frequently wear Keen's with the wider toe box and find the Ahnu's to be just a bit narrower. For my wife's Montara's, they seem to run average to slightly narrow. She has a narrow heel and finds they fit just right for her with a hiking sock and liner. There is a lot of lacing flexibility and I find I adjust the lacing to match my socks and temperature. Regardless of whether I lace tighter or looser, the fit remains comfortable with no slippage.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks, everyone, I am going to have to go try them out. What type of feet would you say they are most ideal for? (e.g., wide toe box, narrow heel, etc.). Buen camino, Laurie
Hi Laurie,
After years of using boots, I've switched to shoes. Last spring I brought a pair of Ahnu shoes home from MEC (the closest Canadian equivalent to REI). I wore them around inside the house for weeks before finally taking them back and getting yet another pair of Solomons. I felt like the Ahnu really needed breaking in -- and you never know if a shoe or boot will break in the way you want it to. It seemed like too much of a risk with only about a month before we left for France. The Solomons were perfect right from the box. (At first I thought the Salomon laces with the little slider on them were a bit gimmicky. But I'm a convert now.:) ) A friend has a a pair of the Ahnu shoes and swears by them, but she mostly wears them around town and on shorter hikes. I would think in terms of width, like egar says, they would be average. I had very good luck with a light pair of leather (wasn't my first choice) Scarpa boots that I used walking in the UK. They were also good to go right out of the box. Super comfortable.
Mary Louise

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...
Has anyone used the phone service "Holafly" during their Camino? Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.