• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anybody starting from Somport in April?

Eleanor

I am a mildly disabled but relatively fit 61 year old Irish lady hoping to start walking from Somport in April. How will the weather be and am I likely to meet anybody on the way who might be able to give me a hand if I get stuck. This is my first post and I wish to test the system. Thanks everyone . Con cariño, Eleanor. Hablo español. :?: :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Somport in April

Somport in April 2004: We started walking in snow. Four hours later there were flowers and spring. We had really wrm days and some with cold rain and wind. So be prepared for both. There will be other people, but not so many as on the french route.

Hola bjorgts,
Thanks for taking the trouble to reply to me.

I wonder out of curosity what date in April 2004 you were at Somport. I know the valley well but havn't walked it yet. I am usually there in September or Christmas and have never been there in Spring. Did you see the almond blossom or was it too early? I love this part of Spain - my adopted homeland. With my balance problem I will find it difficult to descend even on a good dry day but I don't think I dare come down it in snow. This year so far has been very mild but who knows....Did you cross the river on the stepping stones? Don't think I could manage that without falling in.

I still havn't heard from anybody leaving Somport in April. I remember finding a post about two ladies - one 70 and her friend 65 - on the site befor a few weeks back when I was browsing as a guest but now I cannot locate the post. Maybe Ivar or somebody else can help?

Un saludo desde Irlanda,
Regards

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The Somport valley

Our first day from Somport to Jaca was a wonderful day, (20.4). It was snow at the start, as I said, but it was really the last snow of the year, and if we had wanted to avoid it, we would have followed the road for the first few kilometers. The wonderful thing was this: When we started on the top (1632m) it was bitterly cold and we put on ALL our clouds. It was a last farewell to the winter. After some kilometers, we met the spring and the warmth creeping up the valley. From Canfranc we really walked in springtime. Some trees had got there first leaves, others had not. On the ground there were daisyes, blue anemones, violets and daffodils. I can not remember seeing any almond trees. My be it was too early? From Castiello de Jaca we put on our T-shirts and had a summer-feeling.

I think this is important: We were lucky. The weather was just perfect. On a rainy day the impression would have been another. (From Sta. Cilia de Jaca to Artieda we had a rainy day and what we remember from that day was the rivers we had to cross and all the mud!)

Yes, we crossed the river with the step-stones. I was a bit nervous. If there are places you do not know if you can manage, why not follow the main road for some kilometers? We have been walking on different Caminos each April from 2003, and everywhere we have found the locals very willing to help and explain. When you speak spanish, you can avoid the difficult places, I think.

Good luck! I plan to start near Navarrenx in France in the end of March.

Hi bjorgts'

This is very interesting for me as I know the valley so well. Your discription sounds so beautiful. I look forward to seeing the Spanish spring flowers. Yes, too early for the Almond Blossom I think. I don't think I can plan for the weather and like you say I should be able to come down by the road if necessary particularly to avoid the stepping stones. A pity, I'd love to be able to cross over these old stones. Will at least look at them. Was El Camino very steep and narrow? I have walked a bit on the Roman Road at the caves at Villanua. That is a rough spot. It seems to have some steps at times. I know from my visits over the years that they have an international work camp working here each summer so each year I think it is better.

I have to look up Navarrenx on the map. Where in France? And where do you cross the Pyrenees?
To Artieda in the rain and mud...It was baking hot the day I walked in my trecking sandals.

Un saludito y gracias,

Steep and narrow?

I am afraid I do not remember all the details from the Camino down the valley. I remember some steep places, yes, but this is three year ago. I can not tell you exactly where. Besides, what is steep for one person, is not steep for another person.

Where is Navarrenx? A place where may be nobody starts? I do not want to start my Camino by crossing the Pyrenees. I am very anxious to be able to walk all the way to Santiago, and I think starting with the Pyrenees the first day is not a good idea. (Even though I am often walking in the norwegian mountains, or may be because of it?) I will walk four days in France first. The route from Le Puy cross the E80 main road from Bayonne to Pau by the village called Argagnon, and that will be my starting point. (Never heard of anybody doing that.) The first evening, I will stop in Navarrenx. I have heard that there are Mass for the pilgrims in Navarrenx, but I think they start a bit later in spring. Time will show.

So, I will cross the Pyrennes from St Jean Pied de Port to Ronchevalles.

I hope very much that you can walk your Camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Eleanor

I am starting my walk from Arles in mid March so I am not sure exactly when I will reach Somport but I am aiming to get there by late April. I hope I will see you on the way!

Kelly

Hi Everyone,
Just booked my flight to Pau for 19th April, 2007. Look out for me - the one who walks with a wobble and looks drunk, but I will not be!! I may need a friendly hand over the fords and steep places.

Getting excited. Maybe I will meet up with Kelly.
Con cariño ,
Eleanor

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hello, Planning Sarria to Campostela mid Sept, 2024. Both wife and I are 71 years old and from America. Will fly from Paris to Campostela. We are pretty active and estimate 10-13 miles per day OK...
I have been planning my upcoming Camino using the Wise Pilgrim Frances app. Unfortunately, it has stalled at Burgos and will not give me any information beyond that city. I have tried...
Hi we are walking from Puebla De Sanabria to Terroso tomorrow and given the downpours we have had today, I wondered if anyone had any updates???
Hello peregrinos, we are Sara and Giuseppe, a Italian couple, we lost today a sleeping bag, in the way, from Pamplona to Puente De la Reina, anyone has found it? Let us know please.
Greetings to everyone, my name is Emre, I am actually from Turkey but I am currently doing an internship in Paris. I have had experience with routes such as the Lycian Way before, so I think I...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back