• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anyone from Melbourne Australia who has walked or us going to walk...

Debb Smith

Time of past OR future Camino
I want to walk the Camino for my 60th birthday...I want to be walking on the actual day (12/12/20) and then finish on Christmas Eve in Santiago. I know this will present challenges...
Would love to link up with anyone from Melbourne who has connection with the Camino...:)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I walked with a family from Melbourne for the last half of the walk. I can't express just how nice they were. The winter Camino will require a heavier pack, to stay warm. As I am certain you will be dealing with snow & very cold winds. Where are you planning to start? That will then give us an idea as to time line for arriving at your destination on Christmas Eve. I am excited for you, yet a little concerned, due to my own experience with living in a cold winter environment.
Keith

Hi Debb. I'm from Melbourne and walked Camino Frances in Sept 2013. I leave in a week to walk the Portuguese. I met so many aussies when I was walking and the majority were from Melbourne! I have just become aware there is a Camino Community Group in Melbourne who have monthly catch ups. They have a website http://www.meetup.com/Camino-Community/ . Also the doco "6 Ways to Santiago" is playing at The Nova in Carlton next week which you might enjoy. There is less accommodation open in the winter months on the Camino which would make it more challenging but I also would love to walk it again at that time of year. I'm away overseas for two months but always happy for a catch up on my return if you need more info. Enjoy the planning...:)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I walked with a family from Melbourne for the last half of the walk. I can't express just how nice they were. The winter Camino will require a heavier pack, to stay warm. As I am certain you will be dealing with snow & very cold winds. Where are you planning to start? That will then give us an idea as to time line for arriving at your destination on Christmas Eve. I am excited for you, yet a little concerned, due to my own experience with living in a cold winter environment.
Keith
Hey there Keith, thanks for your response! I'm planning on starting from St Jean Pied de port...but I am also planning, if possible, to have my large bag/case transported and just carry what I need...I'll be treating myself to accommodation (since it is s milestone birthday after all!!) so will book that all in advance...it feels so real even though it's still some time off... this may sound strange, but I can "feel" it running through my veins....

Hi Debb. I'm from Melbourne and walked Camino Frances in Sept 2013. I leave in a week to walk the Portuguese. I met so many aussies when I was walking and the majority were from Melbourne! I have just become aware there is a Camino Community Group in Melbourne who have monthly catch ups. They have a website. Also the doco "6 Ways to Santiago" is playing at The Nova in Carlton next week which you might enjoy. There is less accommodation open in the winter months on the Camino which would make it more challenging but I also would love to walk it again at that time of year. I'm away overseas for two months but always happy for a catch up on my return if you need more info. Enjoy the planning...:)
Oh how very blessed you are! I will look up the group and their website for sure! And yes, I know about that doco, I'm planning on seeing it next month when it opens in Belgrave (I live in Berwick)
Are you walking alone? When I go, I'll be booking accommodation so won't be staying in the hostels...would love a catch up on your return...
Happy travels....

No worries Debb. Would be great to catch up on my return. I live in Moonee Ponds. I set off alone for the Camino Frances and met my Camino family (a great bunch of Irish girls) in St Jean and was never alone again. Only one finished with me as the others were on different time frames and she is meeting me in Porto to walk again. I only booked the first night on the Camino Frances but in the colder months pre booking I think would be a good idea. I have the best memories of some of the albergues and the communal meals. Try it on a few nights if you can. Promise you it will be worth it...:)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Debb.

just completed the Camino two weeks ago, on the Spanish side. Completed the French side from Le Puy-en-Velay to Roncesvalles in 2014 (so beautiful countryside and magnificent villages).

A word of warning, when you leave Astorga be aware of the scam that is taking place by supposedly deaf and mute teenagers seeking donations from pilgrims. They are waiting just past the rail tracks some 15-20 minutes out of Astorga. They also appear again about an hour out of Astorga. Do not give your name or email address as I had someone trying to get into my emails whilst I was in Spain.

I pre-booked all my accommodation in hostals and hotels (no Albergues) as I wanted a private and quiet room with bathroom. Did not have any issues with my bookings, however, those pilgrims that did not book ahead found it difficult to find rooms, particularly after Sarria, as a lot of people started their walk from there. If you need any tips on accommodation or wish to have my itinerary, your are most welcome to have it, just send me your email address.

Good journey and safe travels. you will make heaps of friends.

Buen Camino

Ralph
Melbourne CBD

Hey there Keith, thanks for your response! I'm planning on starting from St Jean Pied de port...but I am also planning, if possible, to have my large bag/case transported and just carry what I need...I'll be treating myself to accommodation (since it is s milestone birthday after all!!) so will book that all in advance...it feels so real even though it's still some time off... this may sound strange, but I can "feel" it running through my veins....
Like you it was a a "calling" I could not ignore. Not strange at all, embrace it, you will be supprised just how much it will change your view of life.
I hope you are starting to train for this as you will need to be, as walking thru snow & on ice is a much more difficult. Think of walking a long way on dry sand & how much more energy it takes. You will need to get some type of ice cleates that you stretch over the bottom of your boots. In the winter I understand many places close so you have to pack not only very warm clothes for well below 0 but also energy food. The ability To start a fire is another issue. If you slip on the ice & break a hip you best be prepared to use a cell phone. & have the ability to stay warm on the ground.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.