• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

anyone here from Los Angeles, USA?

kmk1986

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi,

I live in Los Angeles now. I plan to start my walk from Leon, Spain.

What's the best way to get there?

Some people suggest to fly to Madrid, Spain then take a bus to Leon. Some suggest take flight all the way to Leon, which takes about 19hr 15 min.

What was your method?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The fastest and cheaper way to get there and come back to USA is flying directly .

LOS ANGELES- MADRID- LEON and return
SANTIAGO COMPOSTELA-MADRID-LOS ANGELES

In this direction find all combinations of airline flights. When you get it you have to copy the information and then go to the website of the airline and put that information in order to buy the ticket.
This product is used by travel agencies to find the combinations, but do not let you buy the ticket there.

http://matrix.itasoftware.com

IN USA BUY YOUR TICKETS 6-8 WEEKS BEFORE DEPARTURE ON A TUESDAY AFTERNOON.

Hi there,
I did some poking around online, and it looks like a good option would be to do a flight / bus combo as follows:

American Airlines LAX to MAD (non-stop, around 11.5 hours)
Overnight in Madrid then bus from MAD to Leon
Walk to Santiago
Fly American Airlines (with Iberia partner) from Santiago to LAX (via MAD)

If you try to fly all the way to Leon, it looks like 28 hours or more due to the connecting time at the MAD airport. If it were me, I'd rather spend that time exploring Madrid and then catch the bus the next day after a good night's sleep in Madrid. If you take a morning bus you can spend the afternoon exploring Leon then start your walk the next day. Or if you are short on time, you can walk the first 10 or so kms. out of Leon the day you arrive.

The bus station in Leon is a short 10 minute walk to the Camino, the albergue, and the beautiful Leon Cathedral.

You can book your bus from home at http://www.movelia.es

Nancy

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I did some checking:
20 hours 5 minutes from LAX to LEN
18 hours 25 minutes from SCQ to LAX

THE PRICE TODAY: $1149.00
I BET YOU CAN GET BETTER PRICE 6-8 WEEK BEFORE DEPARTURE (Tuesday afternoon)
Itinerary

Los Angeles (LAX) to Leon (LEN) - Mon, Mar 11
Los Angeles (LAX) to Miami (MIA) - Mon, Mar 11
American 208 Dep: 9:10AM Arr: 5:00PM 4h 50m Boeing 767 Economy (O)
Layover in MIA 1h 20m

Miami (MIA) to Barcelona (BCN) - Mon, Mar 11
American 112 Dep: 6:20PM Arr: 8:30AM 9h 10m Boeing 767 Economy (O)
Layover in BCN Tue, Mar 12 3h 15m

Barcelona (BCN) to Leon (LEN) - Tue, Mar 12
Iberia 8758 Dep: 11:45AM Arr: 1:15PM 1h 30m Canadair RJ 900 Economy (O)
OPERATED BY AIR NOSTRUM L.A.M.S.A.

Santiago de Compostela (SCQ) to Los Angeles (LAX) - Wed, Apr 10
Santiago de Compostela (SCQ) to Madrid (MAD) - Wed, Apr 10
American 5630 Dep: 6:50AM Arr: 8:00AM 1h 10m Airbus A320 Economy (O)
OPERATED BY IBERIA Layover in MAD 4h 35m

Madrid (MAD) to Los Angeles (LAX) - Wed, Apr 10
American 5691 Dep: 12:35PM Arr: 4:15PM 12h 40m Airbus A340 Economy (O)
OPERATED BY IBERIA
Cost per passenger (including taxes & fees) $1,148.80
Total cost for 1 passenger $1,148.80

How to buy this ticket
Tickets cannot be purchased directly from ITA Software.
Provide this information to a travel agent to help them match the fares found.
Make sure to provide the exact booking and fare codes shown.
Fare 1: Carrier AA OLX7Q2D1 LAX to LEN (rules)
Passenger type ADT, round trip fare, booking code O
Covers LAX-MIA (Economy), MIA-BCN (Economy), BCN-LEN (Economy)
$258.26
Fare 2: Carrier AA OLX7Q2D1 SCQ to LAX (rules)
Passenger type ADT, round trip fare, booking code O
Covers SCQ-MAD (Economy), MAD-LAX (Economy)
$258.26
Spanish Airport Services Charge (JD) $55.10
Spanish Security Tax (QV) $15.80
AA YR surcharge (YR) $496.00
US International Departure Tax (US) $16.70
US September 11th Security Fee (AY) $5.00
US Passenger Facility Charge (XF) $9.00
USDA APHIS Fee (XA) $5.00
US Immigration Fee (XY) $7.00
US Customs Fee (YC) $5.50
US International Arrival Tax (US) $16.70

Subtotal per passenger $1,148.80
Number of passengers x1

TOTAL AIRFARE & TAXES $1,148.80
This ticket is non-refundable.
Changes to this ticket will incur a penalty fee.
Fare construction (can be useful to travel agents)
LAX AA X/E/MIA AA X/BCN IB LEN M 258.26OLX7Q2D1 /-SCQ AA X/MAD AA LAX M 258.26OLX7Q2D1 NUC 516.52 END ROE 1.00 XT 5.50YC 7.00XY 5.00XA 33.40US 5.00AY 55.10JD 15.80QV 496.00YR 9.00XF LAX4.50 MIA4.50
Email this itinerary
Print this page

Thank you so much everyone!!

I actually didn't expect to get these top quality information. I really appreciate!!

Hello,

I am new to this forum, but I am from LA.

On the question of getting to Leon, you can fly into Madrid and easily take a train from Madrid to Leon. You can easily take a subway/metro between the airport and train station.

I highly recommend the trains in Spain (oh wow, I just rhymed). It's a nice ride with awesome views.

By the way, if you do any hiking either in the mountains/hills around LA, parts of the Camino will seem very familiar.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hello,

I am from Los Angeles, and I, too, would recommend flying to Madrid and then taking a train to Leon. Taking a train or bus from Madrid to Leon is very simple and easy.

I prefer to fly into Madrid and spend a few days there adjusting to the time change and jet lag. Madrid is a great city! Plus, I get to hang out with a high school friend who now lives in the Madrid area. We usually go tapas bar hopping and then to a Real Madrid soccer (futbol) match. Most trains leave from the Atocha train station. When arriving in Leon, it will be very easy to start your Camino walk.

I also agree with Sunshine Jen's statement about the similarity between the Camino walk and hiking in Los Angeles. If you have ever hiked in the Griffith Park area (Los Feliz Blvd to the Observatory, Dante's, Cry Baby hill, Travel Town or the Hollywood Sign hike); you will be amazed by how similar they are to the Camino walk. If you live in Agoura/Westlake Village, the Cheesboro trail is very similar to parts of Galicia; and, if you are from the San Fernando Valley, the Reseda/Mulholland area is also very similar to parts of St. Jean PDP to Roncesvalles.

Before this Camino walk I would hike 4 times a week from the Merry-Go-Round parking lot up to the Hollywood Sign with my backpack at 8kgs (it's about 10.5 miles roundtrip). That trail really reminds me of the first few days of the Camino.

I hope this helps! Buen Camino. :D

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.