• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Anyone use a Montbell backpack?

trecile

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
I'm not looking for a new backpack (really!), but I get marketing emails from Montbell because I have purchased a few things from them in the past, and I like their quality. I decided to check out their backpacks, and they have a couple of very lightweight ones that look like they would be good for the Camino.
Both are the Versalite series - the Versalite 30 and 40.

The Versalite 30 only weighs 605 grams/21.3 ounces!
And the Versalite 40 weighs 710 grams/25 ounces.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
They are missing at least one thing i like (daisy chain), and are a bit to heavy for my taste. On the other hand, they are way cheaper than the typical UL backpacks and don't seem to have any obvious flaws. So i see no reason they should not be considered an option (if they are a comfortable fit for the specific user of course!)

It is a shame they don't have the "separate back" layer like Osprey backpacks. It helps with the smell a lot

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Trecile,

Thanks for posting this. I like the idea of light and small packing.

Except for a torso measurement it’s not clear from the info on their site whether these are suitably sized for women or are intended to fit anyone. I’ve sent them a message to ask about this and will let you know what I find out.

All the best,
Paul

For those who might be interested, I asked the people at Montbell this question:

Is the Versalite 30 backpack suitable for women/unisex?

Here is their response:

We believe so, but please keep in mind the waist belt and shoulder straps are fixed and cannot be adjusted up or down the length of the pack. The item fits a torso length of approx. 30 inches.
—-
This response seems a little odd to me, since their description of the backpack (Versalite 30) gives this information:

Torso length: 20.9 in / 53 cm

Not sure what to think, but I guess we’re back to the original question of @trecile.
Has anyone tried this pack out?

All the best,

Paul

E

Most read last week in this forum