• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Decathlon backpack

Paul Wilson

Time of past OR future Camino
I’m having a look at the Decathlon FH500 ultra light backpack 20L does anyone have any experience of this bag I am looking at it as a small (airline friendly) alternative for my shorter trips ie two weeks or so 👍

Attachments

• IMG_3561.png
    IMG_3561.png
    172 KB · Views: 2,932
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If it fits, and has features which suit you, I'd go for it. Over the years I've had loads of decathlon gear, and I have never felt let down once. At 20l, it's unlikely to carry a lot of weight, which is in my mind a good idea for many reasons. I've got two decathlon rucksacks, two karrimor and one Berghaus, and the decathlon gets used most.
On another tack, a friend met at sjdp two years ago had an osprey daypack, which she walked with. My better half had a cheapy daysack costing less than a tenner.
Before we got to Sahagun, guess which was wearing through in places. Perhaps far too much emphasis is spent on getting the 'right brand', most gear will do the job , as long as it has features which you regard as important, such as useful external pockets etc, and of course, that it fits comfortably. Everything is a compromise!
Buen Camino ✌️

I own this pack (men's version) and use it for day-hiking. The main compartment is rather small, so for a multi day trip you should be VERY smart about your packing or else it wont fit.
Build quality is decent. Comes with a bladder and a rain cover. Hipbelt pockets are rather small (my 6" phone fits, but just so). The zipper on the mesh pockt is kind of a questionable design choice, but unzipped i can fit a second pair of shoes or a volleyball in there. Unfortunately no means on the shoulder straps to attach stuff.
So again, i like it for day hikes or other sports, but i guess theres better packs for the camino. The one I'm currently using weighs less than 100g more, is waterproof, has around double the space, has a daisy chain and bigger belt pockets as well as a way larger mesh pocket.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Certainly doable, especially if you are a petite person. Extra pair of shoes takes up a lot of space, but that can fit in that back pocket. If you are walking in the summer and don’t need a sleeping back, rain gear, etc, it could work. Definitely would be a challenge, but not impossible.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
For what you are carrying that pack should work fine and you can clip the sandals to the outside of the pack.
Most pilgrims (myself included) carry more than they need on the Camino.

For what you are carrying that pack should work fine and you can clip the sandals to the outside of the pack.
Most pilgrims (myself included) carry more than they need on the Camino.
Likewise thanks to previous caminos I’ve realised that
1. The Camino is not a fashion show and I don’t need evening wear to get tapas and a bottle wine
2. I don’t need to carry a full trauma kit because it would seem Spain has medical supplies everywhere 🤣🤣 so this is me looking at a happy medium between minimalist 2kilo pack plus water and extravagant 8kilo pack plus water plus this bag is soft so fits Into the category of small bag for airlines thus saving me around £120 on my return flights (bloody miserable Scots 🙄🤣) so this may be my option and I’ve tried it on in store and it feels good on…btw the reason for the “women’s” option is I prefer the colour instead of the black “male” version

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
thus saving me around £120 on my return flights (bloody miserable Scots 🙄🤣)
I say ‘good for you ‘. This will mean you’ll be better placed to be generous on the camino… to yourself and to donativos. Much more worthy recipients than airlines.
Buen camino.

Ps. Hat off to you getting your weight low. It’s always difficult not to take ‘just in case’… 🤪🤪.

I say ‘good for you ‘. This will mean you’ll be better placed to be generous on the camino… to yourself and to donativos. Much more worthy recipients than airlines.
Buen camino.

Ps. Hat off to you getting your weight low. It’s always difficult not to take ‘just in case’… 🤪🤪.
I spent 30 years in the fire service breaking the habit of “just in case” hasn’t been easy…on my first camino I pretty much carried a trauma pack just in case 🤦🏼‍♂️🤣🤣

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I bought the 30 litre Decathlon, because I thought the 20 a bit small. The 30 fits all my Camino gear with room to spare, which is good for winter caminos.

Then I flew Ryanair ... They waved me through. So far so good 😬
My “big bag” is actually a Lowe alpine airzone trail 25 but I’m just thinking eventually the airlines will tighten the rules 🙄1d2a3873-9d12-4c25-88f1-ed0a102f6f2c.jpeg

Likewise thanks to previous caminos I’ve realised that
1. The Camino is not a fashion show and I don’t need evening wear to get tapas and a bottle wine
2. I don’t need to carry a full trauma kit because it would seem Spain has medical supplies everywhere 🤣🤣 so this is me looking at a happy medium between minimalist 2kilo pack plus water and extravagant 8kilo pack plus water plus this bag is soft so fits Into the category of small bag for airlines thus saving me around £120 on my return flights (bloody miserable Scots 🙄🤣) so this may be my option and I’ve tried it on in store and it feels good on…btw the reason for the “women’s” option is I prefer the colour instead of the black “male” version
I like your aproach, but let me recomend a different pack:

- lighter
- slightly bigger
- waterproof(er)
- imho more practical
- cheaper

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I like your aproach, but let me recomend a different pack:

- lighter
- slightly bigger
- waterproof(er)
- imho more practical
- cheaper
Yes, but no waistbelt = all the weight on your shoulders.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.