• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

April 2024 Our First Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In my case, Orujo is not just for breakfast. 😄

My advice is to walk at least 16 km on at least 3 consecutive days so that you know how your feet hold up to the stress of day after day long distance walking. If you find that you develop hot spots or blisters work on strategies to reduce or eliminate them. Preventing blisters will make your Camino much more enjoyable.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi! Planning and getting excited for our first Camino from SJPP to Santiago. We are 70 and 64…any advice for fairly fit seniors?
My advice is the same to everyone for a first Camino. Give yourself more time than you think you will need. You may find during your Camino that something happens and you need to stop for a few days (e.g. tendinitis) or that you don't walk as far in a day as you thought you would. The last thing you want is to find yourself needing to walk extra long days racing to Santiago to catch a plane, especially if there have been health issues earlier. If you don't use that cushion of extra time during the Camino, you can always use it to walk to Finisterre and/or to Muxía or to see some more of Spain.

As a fellow 64yo fairly unfit senior just about to walk my fourth camino, my advice is to just go for it and have fun. The advice on this forum tends to be correct. Book orisson and Roncesvalles if you can, so you can take your time at the start. Be flexible and the Camino will provide.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello my first Camino as well in April 2024. Giving myself 50 days to enjoy the trip. Hope to see some of the April walkers.
I am also starting my first camino in April 2024. I hope to be leaving SJPDP on the 22nd.

Flying into Barcelona 4/10/24. still figuring out the rest.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, I am also a first timer starting in April 2024, and am 64 (but will be 65 by then). So I have no advice. I am arriving in Barcelona the first week of April, and will make my way to Saint Jean Pied de port. I have not given myself a time frame, with the exception of the Schengen zone limitation. So I guess that is one bit of advice I am following. reading up a lot on the forum. I also plan to ship my main backpack to Santiago and buy a smaller one somewhere in route. Because I am traveling before and after the Camino, and am not willing to be without my creature comforts all year. This makes me quite nervous, but needs must, I am very grateful that this possibility exists. I had been wondering what I would do, searching for a solution is how I found Ivar's site and then this forum. I hope to meet you on the trail.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I will be starting from Arles in early April 2024. I will be 69 and this is my first Camino. I plan to start slow and walk short distance’s initially to help my body get used to walking every day. I don’t know if I will reach Santiago - I’m limited by the Schengen Zone 90 day visa and my desire to spend time in Italy before flying home to Australia.
Buen Camino

Hi all,
Also I will be on my first Camino from about mid April. Every day different ideas arise for routes, from Camino Frances, or Camino Norte to a combo of Madrid-Salvador-primitivo. The options are overwhelming. Also things like potential bed races, the weather, pleasant solitude vs loneliness vs the Camino vibe/family make for difficult decisions! Tips are always welcome. All in all I am very excited where the road will take me :)

Hi all,
Also I will be on my first Camino from about mid April. Every day different ideas arise for routes, from Camino Frances, or Camino Norte to a combo of Madrid-Salvador-primitivo. The options are overwhelming. Also things like potential bed races, the weather, pleasant solitude vs loneliness vs the Camino vibe/family make for difficult decisions! Tips are always welcome. All in all I am very excited where the road will take me :)
Welcome Maartje 1! This forum is a wonderful resource. Ask as many questions as you wish - that's how we all learn.

I agree - the options can be overwhelming.

For a start, I suggest you start a thread of your own. You can tell us your concerns and ask questions - forum members love to help and will respond in a positive manner.

Hope to hear from you again!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, I am also a first timer starting in April 2024, and am 64 (but will be 65 by then). So I have no advice. I am arriving in Barcelona the first week of April, and will make my way to Saint Jean Pied de port. I have not given myself a time frame, with the exception of the Schengen zone limitation. So I guess that is one bit of advice I am following. reading up a lot on the forum. I also plan to ship my main uni backpack to Santiago and buy a smaller one somewhere in route. Because I am traveling before and after the Camino, and am not willing to be without my creature comforts all year. This makes me quite nervous, but needs must, I am very grateful that this possibility exists. I had been wondering what I would do, searching for a solution is how I found Ivar's site and then this forum. I hope to meet you on the trail.
Welcome Zadilly! And best wishes for a buen camino.

You can text easy about your decision to ship to Ivar. Thousands of people walking the Camino have used his services. He is extraordinarily reliable.

I just completed my first Camino (Camino Frances ; SJPdP to SDC) so I can easily imagine some of the questions going through your brain!

Please feel free to ask away -

Welcome Zadilly! And best wishes for a buen camino.

You can text easy about your decision to ship to Ivar. Thousands of people walking the Camino have used his services. He is extraordinarily reliable.

I just completed my first Camino (Camino Frances ; SJPdP to SDC) so I can easily imagine some of the questions going through your brain!

Please feel free to ask away -
Thank you, I have read good things about Ivar's service, but it is good to hear this. I may well have some questions as I get closer to leaving. This month I will be test driving shoes, I I have used very minimal zero drop shoes for a couple of years, But I have never walked great distance in them and am a little worried that it is a bad idea. So, I am looking into more padded options, But I really have no Idea. This forum is what has made me think twice about the thin soles I usually prefer. Most of my questions right now are things like "bring a sleeping bag or not? " and "water bottle or camel back ?" It is helpful reading other peoples experience, but it seems like everyone has different opinions. But, as it gets closer, I think I will have lots of specific questions.

I have used very minimal zero drop shoes for a couple of years, But I have never walked great distance in them and am a little worried that it is a bad idea. So, I am looking into more padded options, But I really have no Idea.
There are zero drop shoes that have a lot of cushion, like the Altra Olympus, which also has a Vibram sole.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There are zero drop shoes that have a lot of cushion, like the Altra Olympus, which also has a Vibram sole.
thanks, I am going to try some on this week. I have a short list, and those Altra are at the top.

I will be starting from Arles in early April 2024. I will be 69 and this is my first Camino. I plan to start slow and walk short distance’s initially to help my body get used to walking every day. I don’t know if I will reach Santiago - I’m limited by the Schengen Zone 90 day visa and my desire to spend time in Italy before flying home to Australia.
Buen Camino
My wife and I, also Australian, also in our [early] 60s, will start in Toulouse in the first week of April on our first Camino. You may catch us up!

Will you go via the Somport pass, or via SJPP? We plan to leave the Chemin d'Arles at Maubourguet to detour thru Lourdes, then follow the Chemin du Piémont Pyrénéen to SJPP.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My wife and I, also Australian, also in our [early] 60s, will start in Toulouse in the first week of April on our first Camino. You may catch us up!

Will you go via the Somport pass, or via SJPP? We plan to leave the Chemin d'Arles at Maubourguet to detour thru Lourdes, then follow the Chemin du Piémont Pyrénéen to SJPP.
Hi SongKhonGair
I hope to go via the Somport pass, follow the Aragon way to the Camino Frances and to Pamplona. I’ll probably need new shoes by then and hopefully I will find shoes in Pamplona. Then turn around and head to Santiago. As I mentioned, I don’t know if I will make it all the way to Santiago.
I don’t think I will catch up to you. I think it will take about 4 weeks to reach Toulouse as I plan to go slowly and do short days during the first week or two to allow my body to get used to walking nearly every day.
I hope you and your wife have a great Camino.
Buen Camino, DouglasM

Hi SongKhonGair
I hope to go via the Somport pass, follow the Aragon way to the Camino Frances and to Pamplona. I’ll probably need new shoes by then and hopefully I will find shoes in Pamplona. Then turn around and head to Santiago. As I mentioned, I don’t know if I will make it all the way to Santiago.
I don’t think I will catch up to you. I think it will take about 4 weeks to reach Toulouse as I plan to go slowly and do short days during the first week or two to allow my body to get used to walking nearly every day.
I hope you and your wife have a great Camino.
Buen Camino, DouglasM
Hi Douglas,

Have you discovered the 'Routes in France' sub-forum? A very helpful mob over there.

I recall reading of people taking a bus for the final stage up to the Somport pass, as that is not only an arduous hike but the track is not the best during the spring melt. Also snow can be an issue nearer the top. Other than that though, you have chosen a special path.

Interesting about the shoes - we have bought Hoka Challengers for the extra cushioning. I am wondering whether they will last 1100 km though, plus the breaking-in period. Don't like the thought of breaking in a new pair on the Camino, may not have a choice.

Good luck with your Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Douglas,

Have you discovered the 'Routes in France' sub-forum? A very helpful mob over there.

I recall reading of people taking a bus for the final stage up to the Somport pass, as that is not only an arduous hike but the track is not the best during the spring melt. Also snow can be an issue nearer the top. Other than that though, you have chosen a special path.

Interesting about the shoes - we have bought Hoka Challengers for the extra cushioning. I am wondering whether they will last 1100 km though, plus the breaking-in period. Don't like the thought of breaking in a new pair on the Camino, may not have a choice.

Hello SongKhonGair
I’m currently wearing Hoka Bondi’s. I will get a new pair about a month before I go. There is a book by Gail Hinshaw about improving your chances of completing a thru hike. It’s mainly about what he learnt on the Appalachian Trail. In it he states that hiking shoes and boots wear out on the inside. I think the foot bed starts to collapse and then causes lots of foot and leg problems. He estimates that most hiking boots are worn out by 600 miles (1000km) and Hoka’s wear out by 400 miles (650km). He wears Hoka’s and replaces them every 400 miles. So don’t expect your Hoka’s to get you to Santiago. I plan to replace mine at either Toulouse or Pamplona. I know Hoka’s are available in these cities.
People take the bus to Col du Somport as the trail is closed near there due to major road works but it may be finished next year. I think the trail is being improved as part of the works and a bridge for the trail to cross a ravine is part of that work I understand.
Yes I regularly look in the Arles Camino forum.
Regards, Douglas

Hello SongKhonGair
I’m currently wearing Hoka Bondi’s. I will get a new pair about a month before I go. There is a book by Gail Hinshaw about improving your chances of completing a thru hike. It’s mainly about what he learnt on the Appalachian Trail. In it he states that hiking shoes and boots wear out on the inside. I think the foot bed starts to collapse and then causes lots of foot and leg problems. He estimates that most hiking boots are worn out by 600 miles (1000km) and Hoka’s wear out by 400 miles (650km). He wears Hoka’s and replaces them every 400 miles. So don’t expect your Hoka’s to get you to Santiago. I plan to replace mine at either Toulouse or Pamplona. I know Hoka’s are available in these cities.
For what it's worth, I wore my Hoka Challengers for 1250 km on Camino earlier this year, 51 days averaging 25 km/day, without developing any foot and leg problems. Your mileage may vary.

I still wear them when going on longer walks at home, although I am thinking I will probably replace them before my next Camino.

Hi all,
You could also consider the Madrid-CF from Sahagun or Madrid-CF (from Sahagun)-Invierno (from Ponferrada). CF, you will never be alone. Primitivo will also be well populated. Madrid, San Salvador and Invierno will be far less populated. That said, I would normally recommend the CF for a first Camino. It will provide a lot more support for any challenges you might encounter along "The Way".

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

You don't need to break in Hoka Challenger's, or any trail runners for that matter. Naturally you need to go through the process of finding the right shoes, sizing, ETC in the first place. When you know that you've got the right shoes practice in those, and take a brand new pair of exactly the same shoes on the trail with you - or as you have already mentioned be prepared to replace them part way along. Longevity is a completely different issue and changes from person to person because of the way we walk
Buen Camino!

You don't need to break in Hoka Challenger's, or any trail runners for that matter. Naturally you need to go through the process of finding the right shoes, sizing, ETC in the first place. When you know that you've got the right shoes practice in those, and take a brand new pair of exactly the same shoes on the trail with you
This is correct. No break in period required for modern trail running shoes. I bought the same style that I had been training in, then wore them for one long walk to make sure that there weren't any manufacturing defects before taking them on the Camino.

Hello SongKhonGair
People take the bus to Col du Somport as the trail is closed near there due to major road works but it may be finished next year. I think the trail is being improved as part of the works and a bridge for the trail to cross a ravine is part of that work I understand.
Yes I regularly look in the Arles Camino forum.
Regards, Douglas
Thank you Douglas, there is some real food for thought there regarding the Hokas. I'm always ready to take the advice of those with more experience, and Mr Hinshaw certainly belongs in that category.

We will be just on 400km from Toulouse when we pass thru Pamplona, with perhaps 500km of wear on our shoes. Perhaps I can find a Hoka retailer in Leon. It's a pity Trekkinn don't deliver to hotels, that would be an easy option.

Thanks again, and Buen Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.