• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Our first Camino plan

BarbC

Time of past OR future Camino
Vigo to SDC - Sept. 2023, Porto to Vigo - 2024
Hi all,

Doing our first Camino this Sept. and decided to do only the last 100 KM because of time constraints and wanting to do some other vacation. We are spending 3 nights in Porto at the beginning and then taking the train to Vigo to start our walk.

My hotels are all booked using Booking dot com - with the option for FREE cancellation or changes up until a couple days before. I have used this site many times and have no complaints. We are using a luggage transfer service that was 66 Euros for transport to each different hotel. 1 bag each - up to 20KG - bags need to be out for collection at 8 AM and should be at your next destination by 2 PM

We are in our 60's but travel frequently and no apologies - but we really don't like roughing it so 3 star hotels seem to be the best option for us.

here is our plan - for the walking days

Day 1 - depart Vigo to Redondela - ( 15K )

Day 2 - depart Redondela to Pontevedra - (20K)

Day 3 - stay in Pontevedra

Day 4 - depart Pontevedra to Caldas de Reis - (22K)

Day 5 - depart Caldas de Reis to Padron - (18K)

Day 6 - depart Padron to Santiago - (25K)

we will spend 2 nights in Santiago and then back to Porto for 1 night - and fly home (Toronto) from there.

anyway - just some ideas for anyone interested - since this is our first Camino - I’m no expert but I am a pretty good planner.

Buen Camino all

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Sounds like a very good plan for a relaxed walk. You did the build up well, starting with 15km and going up.
I did not take a rest day in Pontevedra, but it was my favourite city on the Camino portugues. We got new insoles for my husband, played escape rooms, went to church, a bit of everything.

It's also good you have the cancellation options, because you may discover you are an AWESOME trail walker and power ahead, or that you want to stay somewhere else, and you have space to adapt. Just be ready to any changes that may come your way!

Seems good to me. I sent my bag straight to santiago instead of each hotel, but that works to. Enjoy, and buen camino! 😊

Hi all,

Doing our first Camino this Sept. and decided to do only the last 100 KM because of time constraints and wanting to do some other vacation. We are spending 3 nights in Porto at the beginning and then taking the train to Vigo to start our walk.

My hotels are all booked using Booking dot com - with the option for FREE cancellation or changes up until a couple days before. I have used this site many times and have no complaints. We are using a luggage transfer service that was 66 Euros for transport to each different hotel. 1 bag each - up to 20KG - bags need to be out for collection at 8 AM and should be at your next destination by 2 PM

We are in our 60's but travel frequently and no apologies - but we really don't like roughing it so 3 star hotels seem to be the best option for us.

we will spend 2 nights in Santiago and then back to Porto for 1 night - and fly home (Toronto) from there.

anyway - just some ideas for anyone interested - since this is our first Camino - I’m no expert but I am a pretty good planner.

Buen Camino all
Hi Barb, my name is Petra (Australia) and I will be doing the Portugese Camino in September too! Starting in Porto on the 6th and finishing in Santiago on 18th. Might see you on the road.
Beuno Camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Barb, my name is Petra (Australia) and I will be doing the Portugese Camino in September too! Starting in Porto on the 6th and finishing in Santiago on 18th. Might see you on the road.
Beuno Camino
Hi Petra - we roll into Santiago (hopefully) on the 19th - staying for 2 nights. Yes - hope to see you at some point!

Hi all,

Buen Camino all
I'm saving this! We're also going in September, and have the same interests so this is a good starting place for me. Thanks for sharing.

Sounds like a very good plan for a relaxed walk. You did the build up well, starting with 15km and going up.
I did not take a rest day in Pontevedra, but it was my favourite city on the Camino portugues. We got new insoles for my husband, played escape rooms, went to church, a bit of everything.

It's also good you have the cancellation options, because you may discover you are an AWESOME trail walker and power ahead, or that you want to stay somewhere else, and you have space to adapt. Just be ready to any changes that may come your way!

Seems good to me. I sent my bag straight to santiago instead of each hotel, but that works to. Enjoy, and buen camino! 😊
What service did you use to send your bag to Santiago, and where did they store it for you? Thanks!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
What service did you use to send your bag to Santiago, and where did they store it for you? Thanks!

We used TuiTrans, and they were very easy to deal with. https://tuitrans.com/?lang=en
They collected my suitcase in Porto, and when I arrived in Santiago 11 days later, the suitcase was waiting for me in Hotel San Clemente, where I had made a booking in advance (with flexibility to change dates pending availibility).
I don`t know where the case was stored during my walk, but it arrived at the destination just fine :)

Hi! I’m Silvia and next Monday I’ll begin my first Camino. I’m sure this chat will be really useful, I haven’t planned it. I’m staying in Porto from 17 to 19 July and I’ve booked only my first step. Hoping it won’t be a problem I will follow your suggestions. Happy to share our experience!

I'm using CaminoFacil - but not sending it directly to Santiago - we are doing the daily pickup. If you want them to send it just straight to Santiago I assume they would send it to your hotel but I'm not really sure.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back