• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

April 23 2012 start from Astorga or Rabanal to Santiago

Bhirc

Bhirc
Time of past OR future Camino
Cruz de ferro to Santiago(2012)
SJPP to Ponferrada(2013)
SJPP to Santiago, (May/Jun2016)
We are leaving Toronto for Porto on April 22 then to one of the above start points for April 23 and flying back on May 7.

Would welcome advice on best way to get to either start point from Porto, after early morning arrival, and catching up lost sleep later that day.

The route from Villafranca to O'Cebreiro is 30.1km but 36.1km after adjusting for the climb. Looks like a horror show. Any ideas of the best approach to tackle this. It will be Day 3 or 4 so could be tricky getting legs up to speed for this.

Any recommended one day layover location on the route?

Is Santiago worth a couple of days for sightseeing at the end?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Bhirc!

Are you looking at John Brierley's book, by any chance? :D I was equally horrified by the suggestion of walking up to O Cebreiro at the end of a 30km stretch, so I stayed somewhere around Vega de Valcarce and walked up in the morning, passing through O Cebreiro at lunchtime and staying at Alto do Poio.

Lots of people look forward to staying at O Cebreiro, and it is a popular location, but I have no regrets about my choice. The view over the valley from Alto do Poio as the sun rose in the morning was absolutely stunning. I could post a photo but I don't want to spoil it for you!

Depending on what time you arrive in Santiago you may or may not make it to the pilgrim service at noon, which is well worth it. I stayed just outside Santiago the night before arriving so I could arrive reasonably fresh and in time for the service. However I met two Canadian girls I'd met along the way as I arrived and they sat me down with a beer instead, so I had to go to the service the next day. Allow a day or so for these kind of circumstances. :D

Buen Camino!

The connections from Porto to Astorga will be easier and more direct than going to Rabanal.
Rabanal is a small mountain village. Astorga is a small city.

The climb to O'Cebreiro is a steady one foot after the other... If you have heard stories of
St. Jean pied du port to Roncesvalles, you will know that it is a challenge, but quite achievable.
You can cut the day down by getting to Vega de Valcarce the day before. There is a good albergue there run by the Brazilian Confraternity of St. James. I suspect it will be open.

I have done Villafranca to O'Cebreiro in a day. Eight hours of walking. It is a very satisfying day.

If you start from Vega de Valcarce, you can have lunch in O'Cebreiro and overnight in Triacastela.
This is a nine hour walk. My actual walking speed is 5 km per hour, but at the end of the day, I have averaged 4 km per hour, total elapsed time, including breaks.

I have found that pilgrimage is attitude. Belief in yourself, patience, perseverance...
One of the big lessons for me has been that I am capable of more than I ever thought possible.

Buen Camino.
David, Victoria, Canada.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
There is no bus service to Rabanal, but you can take a taxi from Astorga.

Ruitelan is a nice place to stop after Villafranca. After a good night's sleep, you are ready for the climbs to La Faba then O Cebreiro. I would suggest continuing on to Fonfria after Ruitelan.

There are buses from Oporto to Santiago, Ourense, Madrid, or Logrono. You will need to transfer there to a bus to Astorga.

Most read last week in this forum

I'll be volunteering in Santiago July 01- July 15 this year with the Camino Companions who offer services for the English speaking pilgrims, announcements at mass, English Mass at the Pilgrim's...
Hi my name is Bryce (Australian) and I’m doing the Camino Frances starting September 15. My wife is 57 years old and was born without her left thigh bone. She can wear a prosthetic leg for very...
Hi everyone, I was just listening to Ivar's last video and he mentioned Ed Sheeran. So fyi: a heads up. Ed Sheeran will be doing a concert at Monte de Gozo on July 6th this year. Expect there to...
Since 2009 I run a small hotel with bar and vegetarian restaurant on the camino francés. It was a dream come true when we could buy this house and in 2 years we restored it into a hotel with 3...
Hello✨✨✨✨ I ve just finished my thirty-day walk from San Sebastian and it’s a weird feeling I m going through , a mix of sadness and solitude. I kept afar Icts in the past few days to « see » and...
June 16, @Walkwest, Asturias airport

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back