Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Are you on the Primitivo now?

Adelina

Adelina
Time of past OR future Camino
'18 Astor-Stgo '19 St Jean-Carrion '22 Porto-Stgo
I'm hoping to walk the Primitivo early October, 2024 and wonder how it's been for you as you walk this time of the year, specifically:
1) have you encountered many pilgrims?
2) are most albergues open?
3) have you had to use a light sleeping bag?
4) how cold/wet has it been?
5) have you had to use a headlamp, or are the days long enough for a 20-23 km walk?

After my walk, I hope to serve as hospitalera in Grado and am now officially excited! Gracias for your insights.

--Adelina

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi friend. Ah, love the Primitivo. I’ve walked twice around the time you’re planning.

in 2014, started from Oviedo 29 September
In 2019´ started from Oviedo 7 October.

Both times took me 12 days to SdeC but facilities allow for shorter stages. My experience not so recent but, for what it’s worth -

1. Good numbers of pilgrims both times. Fewer in 2014. More in 2019 but still didn’t feel crowded. Reminded me of Frances when I first walked in 2011. Maybe busier now? Those walking currently will no doubt chime in.
2. Yes Albergues were open
3. Yes I had a light sleeping bag
4. Not too cold - the usual layers apply. Some rain, but not a lot. Galicia yes
5. I had a headlamp torch, but only used it a few times. I usually started walking around 8. Only used the torch when wanting to start earlier due to longer kms. If you’re walking 20-23 kms, you probably don’t need to leave too early, subject to your speed of course.

Adelina, I wrote a blog for both walks. Happy to send you the links by PM if you like. Or maybe you already have them.

One of my very favourite caminô paths. 😍

ps. And great news re being a hospitalero in Grado.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m currently on the primitivo, almost done, in Melide, I agree with everything the post above, for me a headlamp was good to have , sunrise is around 8:30 and some days you’ll want to start early
I have to say there were more pilgrims than I expected, but not so many that there was a problem getting beds, there are of course some places you should plan ahead for instance if you want to stay in Borres
It’s an amazing Camino, but I wouldn’t recommend starting it without some training, it’s gets your attention early
I decided to do the Camino Portuguese from OPorto, the central version this time, to prepare me for the all the climbing on the Primitivo, it was a perfect warm-up

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thank you both for your responses. My last consideration is I'll be a year older - just one more factor. I will definitely train and prepare beforehand.

5) have you had to use a headlamp, or are the days long enough for a 20-23 km walk?

--Adelina
Unless it is an extremely cloudy night you should not need to use any artificial light as your eyes will readily adjust to the low light levels. This has the added advantage of allowing you to see all around instead of the small area illuminated by the lamp. I often started on the caminonbefore 0700 this Sept/Oct and never used a light.

I'm hoping to walk the Primitivo early October, 2024 and wonder how it's been for you as you walk this time of the year, specifically:

After my walk, I hope to serve as hospitalera in Grado and am now officially excited! Gracias for your insights.

--Adelina
I'm on the Primitivo right now in Lugo.
1) I've seen 10-30 people every day.
2) Seems like it. A few are closed
3) hasn't been too cold until a few days ago. It's supposed to be rainy and chilly for next 4 days.
4) one very rainy day, but not cold. Last couple of days. Mostly mist. Heavier rain is forecast.
5) I brought a headlamp, but I haven't used it. I leave around 8, when it's just starting to get light. Even on longest days (32 -35 km) I arrived by 4. Sunset is 17:45.

Loved Grado. Sounds like a wonderful experience!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I’m currently on the primitivo, almost done, in Melide, I agree with everything the post above, for me a headlamp was good to have , sunrise is around 8:30 and some days you’ll want to start early
I have to say there were more pilgrims than I expected, but not so many that there was a problem getting beds, there are of course some places you should plan ahead for instance if you want to stay in Borres
It’s an amazing Camino, but I wouldn’t recommend starting it without some training, it’s gets your attention early
I decided to do the Camino Portuguese from OPorto, the central version this time, to prepare me for the all the climbing on the Primitivo, it was a perfect warm-up
I’m thinking about doing the Portuguese from Lisbon as a warm up to the Primitivo and would love to chat about your experiences and thoughts on time of year etc. etc.

[Note from moderator: edited to remove personal information. If you are willing to chat, please use the direct messaging functionality of the Forum to connect with @MSCT and arrange something.]

Last edited by a moderator:

--Adelina
Hi Adelina, I served as a hospitalera in Grado for the first half of October in 2019. A wonderful experience. Sunrise wasn’t until about 8 am so we waved pilgrims off in the dark each morning.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hey Ramon and TexasIndia, what have you been finding as far as accommodations and bars that are open? I know they start to shut down in Oct - I'm looking at an Oct 26 start date... Looks like the first few days will be wet but then more clear.

Hey Ramon and TexasIndia, what have you been finding as far as accommodations and bars that are open? I know they start to shut down in Oct - I'm looking at an Oct 26 start date... Looks like the first few days will be wet but then more clear.
Bars are few and far between. I've booked ahead for accomodations. There area lot of people at most of the places we've stayed. They booked ahead also.

Pretty much everything was still open last week ....I think a lot close at the end of October...bit also there are less Pilgrims...never had any issue finding a place to sleep or take a break...although there are some long stretches without services....

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back