Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Food on the Primitivo

martinspedro

Time of past OR future Camino
Portugues Central (August 2016)
Hi all!

I am starting El Camino Primitivo from Oviedo in 3 days.
I will try to follow the normal stages and will attempt to do the Hospital route, if the weather permits it.

During my research, there are some stages where I cannot seem to find a market/supermarket to stock on food in Google Maps. My biggest concerns are the 2 stages between Tineo - Borres and Borres - Berducelo and the stage between Lugo - San Romao da Retorta.

Are there local supermarkets, not marked on Google Maps or the Buen Camino App where I would be able to buy food?

Thank you in advance!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi all!

I will try to follow the normal stages and will attempt to do the Hospital route, if the weather permits it.

During my research, there are some stages where I cannot seem to find a market/supermarket to stock on food in Google Maps. My biggest concerns are the 2 stages between Tineo - Borres and Borres - Berducelo and the stage between Lugo - San Romao da Retorta.

Are there local supermarkets, not marked on Google Maps or the Buen Camino App where I would be able to buy food?

Thank you in advance!
Between Tineo and Borres, there’s a grocery store in Campiello. You can buy supplies to make lunch for your walk over Hospitales the following day. (You might also be able to get something at the bar in Borres.)

The stage between Borres and Berducedo, there are no services at all before Berducedo if you take the Hospitales route, so you should plan to bring enough food and water with you for a longish day.

Services are very limited the day you walk out of Lugo. You can buy supplies for lunch or snacks in Lugo.

Thank you @BayAreaPilgrim!

The stage between Borres and Berducedo, there are no services at all before Berducedo if you take the Hospitales route, so you should plan to bring enough food and water with you for a longish day.
I was counting with bringing food for the Hospitales route, but it seems to me that, after leaving Campiello, I need at least 2 or 3 days worth of food, until I reach Grandas de Salime and can re-stock again.

Services are very limited the day you walk out of Lugo. You can buy supplies for lunch or snacks in Lugo.
My understanding is that I need to have enough food for 2 days, until I arrive at Melide. There are some bars along the way where I could snack, from at I have also found.

I will reach Tineo on a Sunday. Should I count with no supermarkets open?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Re Tineo on a Sunday, probably. Sundays and Mondays are iffy for bars, tiendas, and albergues in the smaller towns.

Do note that there is a store in Campiello, attached to the Casa Herminia/Albergue Herminia, where you may stock up.

I believe that you can at least buy breakfast and perhaps a bocadillo in Berducedo, and there is a café for at least breakfast attached to the Albergue in La Mesa.

I was able to find a café for lunch in San Roman, I believe, so you don't have to go all the way to Ferreira.

I was counting with bringing food for the Hospitales route, but it seems to me that, after leaving Campiello, I need at least 2 or 3 days worth of food, until I reach Grandas de Salime and can re-stock again.
I never had to carry food other than snacks on the Primitivo.

I spent the night at Albergue Los Hospitales the night before I walked the Hospitales route. It's on the Pola de Allende part, but there is a trail directly across the road from the albergue to cut over to the Hospitales. I had dinner at the albergue, and bought a sandwich at the albergue to take with me.

Even if the bar in Borres is closed, a couple of litres of water and a bocadillo will get you from Campiello over the hospitales to Berducedo where you have quite a few options for food!
My understanding is that I need to have enough food for 2 days, until I arrive at Melide. There are some bars along the way where I could snack, from at I have also found.
There is a bar about 8km or so after Lugo (it's about 200m off the path), and more options further along at San Roman and Ferreira.

Really, you don't need to stock up for more than a day anywhere on the Primitivo, just make sure you have sufficient water, fill your bottle at every bar!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Re Tineo on a Sunday, probably. Sundays and Mondays are iffy for bars, tiendas, and albergues in the smaller towns.

Do note that there is a store in Campiello, attached to the Casa Herminia/Albergue Herminia, where you may stock up.
I'll keep that in mind and adapt along the Camino, thank you!

I spent the night at Albergue Los Hospitales the night before I walked the Hospitales route. It's on the Pola de Allende part, but there is a trail directly across the road from the albergue to cut over to the Hospitales. I had dinner at the albergue, and bought a sandwich at the albergue to take with me.
I wasn't aware of the path. It might be a good option, in case I wasn't able to stock enough food and want to stop at Pola de Allende instead of Borres. Thank you @trecile. Do you know if that trail to get back on the Hospitales route is well marked?

There is a bar about 8km or so after Lugo (it's about 200m off the path), and more options further along at San Roman and Ferreira.

Really, you don't need to stock up for more than a day anywhere on the Primitivo, just make sure you have sufficient water, fill your bottle at every bar!
That's reassuring! I was concerned with no having enough food options in the smaller towns. Thank you for the help!

As others have stated, there is no lack of food on the Primitivo, with the exception of the hospitales route where you should pack a lunch and a few energy bars. I walked it in the fall of 2018 and for the first and only time on my seven camino's I ran out of water. This may not be an issue for you in cooler spring conditions. Hopefully you get a clear day on the hospitales route as the views are fantastic.
The Primitivo remains as my favorite out of my seven walks, so enjoy!

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1540908597871.jpg
    FB_IMG_1540908597871.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 23
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

I didn't have to carry an especial amount of food, either. I had a nice communal supper in Samblismo the evening before setting out and food was not hard to come by when I arrived in Berducedo. From a habit set when walking with my teenage son, I do always tend to carry a bit of something to snack on or make a sandwich with, though.

This may not be an issue for you in cooler spring conditions. Hopefully you get a clear day on the hospitales route as the views are fantastic.
The Primitivo remains as my favorite out of my seven walks, so enjoy!
The Hospitales route is one of the reasons I am doing Primitivo. And the solitude as well.Thank you for the beautiful picture.

I didn't have to carry an especial amount of food, either. I had a nice communal supper in Samblismo the evening before setting out and food was not hard to come by when I arrived in Berducedo. From a habit set when walking with my teenage son, I do always tend to carry a bit of something to snack on or make a sandwich with, though.
I also tend to snack a lot during hikes and eat a lot of calories during the day. I will still pack something, but nothing like the "2 days worth of food" I was thinking when I started the post. Thank you all for the insights!

The Hospitales route is one of the reasons I am doing Primitivo.
I hope you have a beautiful day, as did I in the mid-month of May. A man I met at an albergue just a day later said he had such dense fog going up and over that he could see nearly nothing, including the markers. I was shocked to hear his weather changed so quickly.
That said, the whole route is lovely, whatever weather you get on the "up and over".

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you @BayAreaPilgrim!

I will reach Tineo on a Sunday. Should I count with no supermarkets open?
There is small shop in Berducedo

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi all!

Thank you in advance!
I walked the primitivo in 2017 at the age of 75. I enjoyed the walk and found it very doable. I walked the hospitals route and found it a disappointing slog. There was a fellow at the pass selling snacks and drinks. I had no food problems,anywhere. If I did it again(and I loved the trip) I would not take the hospitales,and would go the other way. I went on the Camino Verde out of Lugo so do not know anything after Lugo on the regular route. The Verde was very nice and well marked.

Dont't be too concerned, you can always find something to eat. Enjoy the walk and nature.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back