• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Arrived SDC on October 20

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances ('10), Portugues ('11), Promitivo ('13), VdlP ('14), Ingles ('16), Torres ('17), Litoral '19
Pauline and I arrived in Santiago on October 20 after 51 days of walking and three days of sightseeing - Merida, Salamanca and Ourense. We should also have allowed a day for Zamora.

It has been a wonderful experience. We met many more people than we expected to, saw fascinating places we never knew existed and now feel great both mentally and physically.

My advice to anyone attempting this or any other Camino - if you have the time take it easy. There is so much to see. We averaged 19km per day. We did have to do up to 30km a couple of times.

I should gave said we started at Almaden de la Plata as we didn't believe we could do stage three in 36C.

Finally, I don't know if this has been mentioned before but there is s brand new albergue in Campobecerros. It looked as if it would be ready to open within days.

Liam

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Day 3 (Castilblanco de los Arroyos-Almaden de la Plata) is really demanding, what with starting with 16km of road walking with nowhere to hide from the sun! :eek: When I walked the VdlP in 2009, 3 other pilgrims and myself actually shared a taxi from Castilblanco to the entrance of El Berrocal. All was left to walk then were the 13 km of beautiful off-road paths to Almaden. This is the only time ever in all of my 4 caminos that I actually used motorised transport to get me through a stage!

ps: I agree with you about Zamora - definitely warrants a day there. My rest days were exactly the same as yours. I also agree about taking it slow if you can. I took 54 days to do my VdlP, starting in Sevilla, so it sounds like you and I walked our VdlPs in very similar fashion :)

Congratulations Liam, am so glad you made it safely and happily! Oh, the Vdlp, I want to go again! Hard to beat a Camino that passes through so many beautiful cities. In addition to Zamora, Caceres is another well worth a longer visit.

Maybe the powers that be feel so bad about ruining the countryside around Campobecerros with the train construction that they've decided to atone for their sins by putting back an albergue in Campobecerros. Is this one in town (there was one years ago in the train station, but it had closed when I walked through)?

Would love to hear more about your impressions -- did you stay in Lubian, for instance? Buen camino, Laurie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Well done and congratulations! I like that pace too.

Congratulations, Liam and Pauline! A huge accomplishment. Maybe we'll see you here in Santiago - there's some summer weather to welcome you!

Most read last week in this forum

One reason for me choosing the VDLP is to avoid the constant stress of the bed race on the busier routes. Alas I haven’t escaped it. Literally every bed (that I’m able to contact) is full from...
Several local news websites are reporting that two pilgrims have been taken to hospital with injuries after being attacked by a cow. The incident took place about 10km north of Fuenterroble de...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back