• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ourense to SdC

viclis

Time of past OR future Camino
Via de La Plata, August 2024
Looking to complete my first Camino in the last week of August of 2024. I plan to fly to Madrid on the Sunday and take the bus to Ourense. I will then begin the trail on Monday morning, and will need to arrive in SdC by Friday.

What are the dos and donts of this routes?
Must sees and skips?
Can I rely on being able to get a spot in an albergue when I arrive, or should I look to book some in advance?

Looking forward to hearing about your experiences!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
In Ourense, there are hot springs about 1-2 minutes down the hill from the municipal albergue. You will need a swimsuit and a small lock with narrow handle for the locker.

August is a busy month on the Camino Frances, but the Camino Sanabres should not be overcrowded.

Don’t get lost and take hilly road out of Ourense. It goes up, and up, and up.

Have the time of your life.

Take as many pictures and as much time as you can.

Buen camino

one good tip:
If you last leg is too long before SdC, check in at Reina Lupa, situated just a small distance from the track in Susanah. In this way, you will be just 10K south of the city and will arrive rested before
your end goal.
The hostel is near the restaurant at the main road in, but set a little back and absolute sound proof to the roar of the traffic. Washing machines.Food is good and plentiful and Mama is reigning supreme of it all.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
The train from Madrid to Ourense is fast and not very expensive, to be recommended
2½ hours shorter in traveling time.

I walked through Oseira, and would recommend that, but had more time than you appear to have.

Most nights I stayed in Xunta albergues, which cannot be booked but were never full when I walked. There were two nights I stayed in tabernas, and booked those and accommodation in SDC when I arrived.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I walked this route in October and it was lovely! The albergue in Castro Dozon was closed for construction/repairs and there were limited lodging options on that stage, so plan ahead.

The monastery at Oseira is impressive but please check their hours before you head out. We walked there on a Monday arriving just around noon. No visitors were permitted into the monastery after noon AND the town’s only 2 restaurants were closed on Mondays, so we walked back to the main route disappointed and hungry. Next time I will do my homework first.

This camino overall was very peaceful with just a handful of other pilgrims along the way. I recommend it.

one good tip:
If you last leg is too long before SdC, check in at Reina Lupa, situated just a small distance from the track in Susanah. In this way, you will be just 10K south of the city and will arrive rested before
your end goal.
The hostel is near the restaurant at the main road in, but set a little back and absolute sound proof to the roar of the traffic. Washing machines.Food is good and plentiful and Mama is reigning supreme of it all.

Cannot sing the praises of Reina Lupa loud enough. Stayed there last November.
They own the adjoining bar too What an albergue. Cotton sheets. Blankets. Showers were perfecto. Food excellent.
Just 10k from SDC.

If you want a special religious experience, we learned that you can book the last tour of the day at the Oseira monastery and tell the person at the shop (where you buy the ticket) that you'd like to attend Vespers. In our case, in early November last year, the last tour was at 5:30, I think, with Vespers after that, although I don't know whether summer hours are different. So verify the time if you're interested.

My wife and I were the only persons from a pretty crowded tour group who had asked to attend Vespers. A young monk with a flashlight nabbed the two of us right after the tour, walked briskly through a labyrinth of dark stairways, hallways and rooms for maybe 5 minutes until we reached a small chapel. We were the only attendees while the 9 or 10 Trappist monks chanted Vespers in Spanish. Then a different monk took us back. It was a beautiful experience and one of the highlights of our camino.

As mentioned above, the Xunta albergue is onsite and is beautiful.

Also, on the same day on the way to Oseira you go through Cea, which is famous throughout Spain for the bread maybe 30 different families have baked in outdoor stone ovens since the 13th century. If you like bread, it's worth eating the Menü del Día in Cea and enjoying their tasty bread.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Oseira is definitely worth visiting, as is the monastery and vespers. The day I was there the restaurant was closed, but the hospitalaro was able to order in food and the nuns took care of breakfast.

Ourense to Santiago Autumn 2022 Autumn

Ourense Hot springs. I went to Termas de Outariz: E5 for 2 hours – lots of different pools of varying temps from quite hot to cool, spas and fountains and soothing music. They ask you to maintain silence. Absolutely wonderful.
The public hot springs are free with three pools and would be a different sort of experience.
There is a monastery in Ourense that I have heard is worth seeing but I didn’t stop.
There are two routes out of Ourense – both steep – I took the right hand one and it was fine.

Oeira and the Monastery – see @MesaWalker comments for details. The monastery has a rare statue of Mary of the Milk. There is a brand new municipal Albergue there with plenty of beds – absolutely beautiful. You might want to take your food as there is only one little café – excellent food but limited and a bit expensive. You can buy a breakfast pack at the monastery. It is a steep walk / trail out the next morning and you might be joined by the monastery’s big black dog for a few Kms.

It appears the the albergue in Castro Dozon is still closed according to Gronze so it’s a 30 Km walk from Oseira to A Laxa. As I had started in Sevilla I was up for it (and you might be too) but there are a Hostal in Botos (E30 for a single) about 6 km before A Laxe.

It’s a beautiful Camino and as I walked I imagined it would become more popular as the Frances gets even busier. I loved every step.

Ourense to Santiago Autumn 2022 Autumn

Ourense Hot springs. I went to Termas de Outariz: E5 for 2 hours – lots of different pools of varying temps from quite hot to cool, spas and fountains and soothing music. They ask you to maintain silence. Absolutely wonderful.
The public hot springs are free with three pools and would be a different sort of experience.
There is a monastery in Ourense that I have heard is worth seeing but I didn’t stop.
There are two routes out of Ourense – both steep – I took the right hand one and it was fine.

Oeira and the Monastery – see @MesaWalker comments for details. The monastery has a rare statue of Mary of the Milk. There is a brand new municipal Albergue there with plenty of beds – absolutely beautiful. You might want to take your food as there is only one little café – excellent food but limited and a bit expensive. You can buy a breakfast pack at the monastery. It is a steep walk / trail out the next morning and you might be joined by the monastery’s big black dog for a few Kms.

It appears the the albergue in Castro Dozon is still closed according to Gronze so it’s a 30 Km walk from Oseira to A Laxa. As I had started in Sevilla I was up for it (and you might be too) but there are a Hostal in Botos (E30 for a single) about 6 km before A Laxe.

It’s a beautiful Camino and as I walked I imagined it would become more popular as the Frances gets even busier. I loved every step.
This sounds fabulous, thank you for all the detail, I hope to take a similar route!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
Hello, Has anyone travelled by train or bus from Santiago to Zamora on to Granja de Moreruela, I've checked online and it seems there is a train from Santiago to Zamora. I will be flying from the...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...
I think I’m on day 12, so not quite two weeks in. Thus far the VDLP is definitely a different animal than the CF. And I have to say, I’m struggling to enjoy it as much as the CF last year. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back