• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

ARRIVING VIGO OCTOBER 18, 2011

daimarlow

Three of us hope to start from Valence/Tui on the 19th. We are flying in to Vigo arriving at 19.45 on the 18th, total age 200 years. We have done our planning but would be glad to have some advice on two things. Our initial researches showed that there was a bus from Vigo to Tui at 9am and 12 but we have now found that there is actually a bus every half hour which we assume goes from the bus station but cannot verify this. The bus from the airport the previous evening does not appear to go near the bus station and we are not sure where to stay on the first night. Does anyone have any information that would be useful. The best would have been a bus from the airport to Tui but this service does not seem to exist. The second confusion is about the Alberque at Caldas De Reis. The website of Mundicamino shows 2 Alberques at Caldas De Reis namely, Alberque de Portas and Alberque la Poasada De Dorra Urraca. I think Portas is in fact not in that town but is 5km before. Nobody seems to know about the other Alberque which is described as being in the centre of the town. Any information you can give to us oldies would be gratefully received

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Daimarlow
The second confusion is about the Alberque at Caldas De Reis. The website of Mundicamino shows 2 Alberques at Caldas De Reis namely, Alberque de Portas and Alberque la Poasada De Dorra Urraca.

I stayed at Portas last night, it is the other name for the Albergue at Briallos, it is lovely, modern, very quiet, in the middle of the country, there´s a shop about 0.5 kms away, sleeps 24, 12 men, 12 women, in separate dorms. I would say 4 kms from Caldas. Ref: ´Alberque la Poasada De Dorra Urraca´ no idea , but there is an albergue in Caldas, maybe it does have a fancy name, it is by the Romn bridge, the second bridge you come to in Caldas.
There is also a new albergue at Valcas, I haven´t got that far yet but I think i heard its about 14kms from here. (I´m in Caldas)
Vigo to Tui at 9am and 12 but we have now found that there is actually a bus every half hour which we assume goes from the bus station but cannot verify this
Sorry I can´t be much help, as i recollect the bus from the airport does not go to the bus station and the bus station is a bit out of town. There are hotels near the train station, which is fairly central, if there are 3 of you I would get a taxi to the bus station, can´t cost much, or maybe a train!
Good luck, Buen camino
Sue

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi, there is a train that runs from Vigo each morning to Porto which stops at both Tui and Valenca. Details here http://www.cp.pt/cp/displayPage.do?vgne ... 01a8c0RCRD.

I believe that the rail station in Vigo actually moved a couple of months ago so you would need to confirm its exact location now. The train also stops at Redondela, so another alternative would be to get a taxi down to there (15mins, approx 15 Euros) stay overnight and then jump on the train in the morning at 7:57. There is an Albergue at Redondela but I'm not sure whether there is anything that prohibits you staying before your first day's walk or indeed staying at the same Albergue again if you intend to return there during your camino.

Regards
Mig

Alberque la Poasada De Dorra Urraca.
I am now staying at this albergue. It is a bit open plan and certainly not the most appealing albergue I have seen, the sleeping accommadation is bunks, the mattresses are for emergency in summer, the kitchen is tiny with only a microwave, it´s an albergue :)
The pros of staying here are the thermal footbath and internet. I haven´t seen a computer since Ponte de Lima, not a working one anyway! Even I, a technophobe, was having withdrawal symptoms, and there is a cyber cafe in Caldas.
If you want peace, quiet and tranquility, and to carry food from Pontevedra, stay at Briallos, if you prefer towns and people stay in Caldas.

There is an Albergue at Redondela but I'm not sure whether there is anything that prohibits you staying before your first day's walk or indeed staying at the same Albergue again if you intend to return there during your camino.

There could be a credencial issue here as Redondela is within the 100kms and, I think, will not be able to issue a credencial, you would need a credencial to stay here.

Incidently the walk from Tui to O Poriño is one of the dreariest I have ever done, 7kms through industrial estates, worse than walking into Burgos. It does get better after that.
Sue

Miguel

Thanks for the train timetable that is a great help. We can now stay near the train station and catch the 7.46 to Valenca.

Dai

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Sue

Thanks for that we obviously now have the option of Briallos or Caldas de Reis. This forum has been very useful. Good luck on the rest of your Camino

Incidently the walk from Tui to O Poriño is one of the dreariest I have ever done, 7kms through industrial estates, worse than walking into Burgos. It does get better after that

Second that re: the industrial estate but eiher end of the stage (Tui\Valenca and Redondela) were pleasent. Not all bad :wink:

Just to clarify I did mean catching the train from Redondela to Tui or Valenca rather than starting the Camino at Redondela.

Regards
Mig

I took the Vigo - Valenca train last year; I think the fare was less than three euros which I was very pleased with. I was going to start my Camino in Tui but decided last minute to go onto Valenca just to be able to say that I'd walked from Portugal.

Also I'd recommend an hour or two exploring the old town up in Valenca fortress before you start your walk. You'll be there early (remember that Portugal is an hour behind Spain) so there won't be much open aside from a few cafes but this means you'll have the place to yourself.

Oh, and that industrial estate is something else! There's one long straight road that takes about an hour to walk along with nothing to look at apart from litter in gutters and empty factories. Aside from that you'll have a wonderful time! When you get to Caldas I'd recommend splashing out on a proper hotel - if you stay at the Balneario Davila - http://www.balneariodavila.com - you can bathe in the hot spring water and follow it up with a massage for about 20 euros.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Great stuff Whalley and everyone else. Really looking forward to this Camino, industrial estate excepted, did Ferrol to santiago last year and this trip sounds like it could be even better. Have now decided to stay near the rail station in Vigo and then catch the train to Valenca to start the walk.

Thanks everyone you have been a great help.

Dai

Hi again,

If the weather is good then as Whalley says certainly worth starting in Valenca and exploring the fort and seeing the view across the Rio Mino to Tui and Spain.

If you are interested in a spa at Caldas De Reis check out http://www.booking.com/go/12aef2f91a967.html. 75 Eur for a double\twin room with breakfast and 1 hour spa treatment for two (this was Steam Room, Individual Spa Bath and thermal wrap when I took it in April this year). Paper pants were an experience :oops: . Seriously good value for two people and the hotel is right on the route immediately before crossing the river in Caldas. This seems to be an ongoing offer via Booking.com so anyone else travelling the Portugues could take advantage if there are available rooms.

Also as I mentioned above make sure that you book hotel near the new station Vigo - Guixar which Santiago Tourist Office told me replaced the existing one in Aug this year.

Regards
Mig

Most read last week in this forum

I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...
We arrived in Porto by train from Lisbon yesterday afternoon. Long haul from Australia via Singapore, Milan and Madrid departed April 23. Our first encounter with other pilgrams was when 3...
Hi everyone, I did the CF in 2022 and found the planning quite easy as there were albergues all the way so yiu can walk as much or as little as you please and there is always somewhere to stay. I...
Hello pilgrims, I have unfortunately hurt my knee(s) on the second day of walking from Porto. I pushed through some more kilometers, but I had to take a break in Marinhas. I tried everything to...
I have a new copy of the guide to Camino Portuguese by Kat (I think) XX. My question is: is there anyone who is going to Lisbon/ Porto who could pop it in the Albergue municipal/ or use it and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back