• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Astorga lodging hard to come by

MDuffy

Time of past OR future Camino
upcoming Aug 2017
Hi All,
My mom and I are planning our first 12 day camino and looking to start in Astorga Aug 19..I've been to booking.com, agoda.com, and cannot find one place available for our arrival date! Is this normal? I'm worried that after an international flight and a 5 hour bus from Madrid we won't have any place to stay... any advice? If we just show up in the early evening 5-6pm and walk around will we be able to find a place? Thank you!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I just checked www.hotels.com . There are hotel rooms available for your date. I would strongly advice that you prebook: August is very busy, you arrive very late, it is on a Saturday (!, many weekend walkers in addition to all the pilgrims). Book as soon as possible, and then rely on room in albergues from there :)

Remember that online booking companies have a limited no. of rooms at different hotels/hostels. There may be rooms but they may not show up on the booking sites' websites. If so, call the hotel directly or your their own online booking mechanism.

All the best, and Buen Camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Websites like booking.com don't have access to all the rooms available in the hotels either! Try calling or sending an email to some of the places and there might still be room. Good luck!

Oops! Beat me to it!

You could also consider staying at Santa Catalina?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@SabineP has pointed out a very important thing: The festival in Astorga that very Saturday. If it was me, I would have relaxed in Madrid and go by bus/train to Astorga on Sunday.

But then again on sunday there is only one train from Madrid to Astorga, arriving in afternoon making it maybe a bit too late for starting to walk that day.
There is a bus that arrives around 12 noon in Astorga so a short etapa is still possible.

Another option is to go a bit further back by taxi to Villares de Orbigo where my fellow countrywoman Christine owns the albergue and takes bookings.

http://alberguevillaresdeorbigo.es/

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
There is a bus that arrives around 12 noon in Astorga so a short etapa is still possible.

Another option is to go a bit further back by taxi to Villares de Orbigo where my fellow countrywoman Christine owns the albergue and takes bookings.

http://alberguevillaresdeorbigo.es/
Very good advice from @SabineP : I would definitely take that bus, then decide wether to start walking a little on, or stop for an albergue in Astorga (my recommendation).

We always stay at Astur Plaza in Astorga. Its very confortable and has a wonderfull breakfast! There are rooms available on booging.com.
Katia

thanks to everyone who replied! I did not realize there is a festival that day - explains a lot! we've opted for our plan B that includes Finisterre and starts a little closer to Santiago. Thanks everyone!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
thanks to everyone who replied! I did not realize there is a festival that day - explains a lot! we've opted for our plan B that includes Finisterre and starts a little closer to Santiago. Thanks everyone!!
What this forum is for. ;) "Where past pilgrims share, and future pilgrims learn". Molinaseca and Ponferrada springs into my mind for a start. Or Rabanal del Camino. After your Camino, come back and pay it forward. :)

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Not sure this will help but when booking.com does not work I try trivago.com and lastminute.com and any other booking site I can think of. Hotels seem to allocate rooms across a range of online booking services. Just did a search on trivago and there was a twin room available for Au$141 at Temple Pradorrey 4.6 km from Astorga city centre on 19 August 2017. A bit far out but better than zip.

Have you tried airbnb as well? Another worthwhile source to check when things are tight on the other booking sites.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
What this forum is for. ;) "Where past pilgrims share, and future pilgrims learn". Molinaseca and Ponferrada springs into my mind for a start. Or Rabanal del Camino. After your Camino, come back and pay it forward. :)

Buen Camino!
Molinaseca is a great place to spend a night before starting off.

On top of the local celebrations, and the peak time of the year for domestic travel, as well as the fact that Astorga is both a common starting point AND the junction with one of the Via de la Plata variants, I am going to go out on a limb and say that if accommodation in Astorga is hard to come by then it will be similarly difficult in all of the surrounding towns.

Madrid is a good option if, like me, flying east for more than an hour turns your world upside down. Another option is Léon, where you can take in some serious history and still be on the camino. An early morning train or bus (alsa and renfe) will get you to Astorga in under an hour.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
we too the bus from Madrid to Astorga and walked to Rabanal that first night. Got there in the late afternoon... it was great!

Hi All,
My mom and I are planning our first 12 day camino and looking to start in Astorga Aug 19..I've been to booking.com, agoda.com, and cannot find one place available for our arrival date! Is this normal? I'm worried that after an international flight and a 5 hour bus from Madrid we won't have any place to stay... any advice? If we just show up in the early evening 5-6pm and walk around will we be able to find a place? Thank you!!

Could pilgrims PLEASE get a copy of MMDD or similar which have the DIRECT e mail address or contact number well in advance for any commencement AFTER Leon if you wish to stay in good accommodation.
There are many tour groups now booking numbers into these places .

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back