• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Live -Bus Astorga to Rabanal?

MARSKA

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Sept/Oct 2023
Hi all! My cold is worse. I should really take a bus tomorrow especially since it is going to rain again.
Is there a bus that goes from Astorga to Rabanal? I looked but didn't see one.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Marska,
Looks like the Alsa bus will go there a few times a day, but you go all the way to Ponferrada and then backtrack to Rabanal. I used the Alsa App to see these possibilities. Do you feel you really must see Cruz de Fero or should you just take a bus to Ponferrada and rest a few days?
Janet

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi all! My cold is worse. I should really take a bus tomorrow especially since it is going to rain again.
Please don't inflict your cold on a bus full of passengers. Stay put for a couple of days. Eat well, take plenty of fluids as far as you can while again avoiding crowded public places. Then see how you feel and how far you need to jump ahead. Ponferrada could be a good re-start and would recover 2-3 days of walking

Please don't inflict your cold on a bus full of passengers. Stay put for a couple of days. Eat well, take plenty of fluids as far as you can while again avoiding crowded public places. Then see how you feel and how far you need to jump ahead. Ponferrada could be a good re-start and would recover 2-3 days of walking
I'm doing my best to isolate myself. I tested negative for COVID.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
At the albergue I stayed in Ponferrada, as I was leaving yesterday morning I spoke with a woman from the Netherlands looked to be around 65, whose arm was in a cast. She fell on the wet rocks leaving the Cruz de Ferro. Broke her srm and mushed up her face and was flying home yesterday. I went down it the day before the rain and its a nasty downhill on a goat trail with loose rocks. Its right by the highway. Why not get a cab who will stop there and then drive you to your next stop? Or wait a few days and see if it dries.

At the albergue I stayed in Ponferrada, as I was leaving yesterday morning I spoke with a woman from the Netherlands looked to be around 65, whose arm was in a cast. She fell on the wet rocks leaving the Cruz de Ferro. Broke her srm and mushed up her face and was flying home yesterday. I went down it the day before the rain and its a nasty downhill on a goat trail with loose rocks. Its right by the highway. Why not get a cab who will stop there and then drive you to your next stop? Or wait a few days and see if it dries.
Very good idea not to try that downhill section when wet. I don't really want to do it when it is dry!

Very good idea not to try that downhill section when wet
I second this in spades! The downhill stretch to Molinaseca is "challenging" (i.e. treacherous) in places even when bone dry. I wouldn't risk it in the wet. Stick to the road. And I hope @MARSKA feels better soon. You're doing great!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks!
Oh man!!!! The wind. rain, and cold was terrible today! I managed to walk most of the way to Rabanal de Camino but about 6kms from Rabanal I flat out gave up and asked at the bar for a taxi.
Staying in Rabanal tonight in the wonderful,warm, sweet donativo. Feeling a little better- I guess the wind blew it out of me. One of the women with whom I've been walking is an MD and said she would prescribe an antibiotic for me - but there is NO pharmacy in Rabanal or in any of the small villages in this area. The hospitalist told me I'd need to go to Ponferrada or back to Astorga to get an Rx filled. Since I'm feeling a bit improved I guess I'll wait. Medical opinion is a touch of bronchitis, not infectious.

This afternoon I met a man saying he was going on to Foncebadon today. A priest standing nearby overheard our convo and he tried hard to dissuade the man from going today. Tomorrow is iffy as well. Although tomorrow it should be sunny , it will still be wet and very very windy.

It went from mid-sumner to winter overnight! Yikes!!!!

Watch out tomorrow if you are walking. That down part after El Acebo is really steep, treacherous, and rocky and the down part even before that can be difficult. If you do walk, be sure to do it when you are fresh so maybe stay in El Acebo or Riego de Abros or if you are not feeling well, Walk to Cruz de Fero and get a cab to either Molinaseca or Ponferrada. You can ask for a cab number in advance or there may be stickers on posts, etc. for you to call from CdF.

The weather’s certainly changed very quickly!
Thanks!
Oh man!!!! The wind. rain, and cold was terrible today! I managed to walk most of the way to Rabanal de Camino but about 6kms from Rabanal I flat out gave up and asked at the bar for a taxi.
Staying in Rabanal tonight in the wonderful,warm, sweet donativo. Feeling a little better- I guess the wind blew it out of me. One of the women with whom I've been walking is an MD and said she would prescribe an antibiotic for me - but there is NO pharmacy in Rabanal or in any of the small villages in this area. The hospitalist told me I'd need to go to Ponferrada or back to Astorga to get an Rx filled. Since I'm feeling a bit improved I guess I'll wait. Medical opinion is a touch of bronchitis, not infectious.

This afternoon I met a man saying he was going on to Foncebadon today. A priest standing nearby overheard our convo and he tried hard to dissuade the man from going today. Tomorrow is iffy as well. Although tomorrow it should be sunny , it will still be wet and very very windy.

It went from mid-sumner to winter overnight! Yikes!!!!
Yes!!!! The weather changed quickly, didn’t it? I walked in the rain to Rabanal yesterday. It was ok. But today - oh my goodness. In the night we could hear trees breaking, rain, wind, and all the restaurant chairs blowing down the street. Along with a few others we waited until 10.30 before catching a cab to El Acebo. Here there was almost zero visibility, with wind and rain still buffeting the pilgrims battling the elements. We didnt even stop at the Cross. Anyway, hoping it settles a bit for our walk tomorrow. It was way too dangerous today for walking, I don’t regret getting the taxi for a moment,

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Watch out tomorrow if you are walking. That down part after El Acebo is really steep, treacherous, and rocky and the down part even before that can be difficult. If you do walk, be sure to do it when you are fresh so maybe stay in El Acebo or Riego de Abros or if you are not feeling well, Walk to Cruz de Fero and get a cab to either Molinaseca or Ponferrada. You can ask for a cab number in advance or there may be stickers on posts, etc. for you to call from CdF.
Good advice - thanks. I’ll be careful and may even use my poles..

Here is the schedule as posted at the astorga estacion.

Attachments

• 75EDBBB9-28B0-4D49-BBFF-B1E54B4A3D26.png
    75EDBBB9-28B0-4D49-BBFF-B1E54B4A3D26.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 7

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back