• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

August Pilgrims please help: Unguento still available?

nidarosa

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Enjoying the camino since 2009
Hi, I hope this post does not offend or break any rules, written or otherwise, please moderators edit or remove it if it does.

If not, here's the thing: I walked the Frances from StJPdP to Santiago in Aug-Sept 2012 and found, on the reception desk at the Hostal Santa Maria in Cacabelos, a small box of round plastic tubs with 'Peregrino Unguento Balsamico'. As I, without knowing it, had just started a long on-and-off-thing with Plantar Fasciitis, and my feet really hurt, I bought two tubs and immediately started using the first. The other was a gift. Now this stuff really worked for me, and every time people smelt it and I offered them some, they liked it too. So at the end of the walk - no more unguento left. My Camino sisters bought every other kind of unguento peregrino they could find but we still preferred this one. I have contacted the manufacturer and he now sells it online which is not really brilliant for me - I have a small pack and would like to buy them as and when I need more (and if they sell them in Santiago I am buying an armful!) and I have not yet had an answer as to whether or not he still sells them in farmacias, supermercados or hotels/hostals along the Camino.

So I am asking if any August pilgrims have seen this for sale somewhere along the way between Astorga and Santiago? Are they still on the shelves or do I have to order online and have them shipped to my hotel to pick up before I start walking? I am starting mid Sept so I haven't got a lot of time to get it sorted.

I am not trying to advertise or sell anything here, and I don't have any shares in the company. I just have PF and some highly treasured feet who deserve only the best. Thank you!

Attachments

• unguento.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 30
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Wow! Four years ago, and apparently no replies?!
My comment will not be helpful, as I have never heard of, nor seen, that medication.
Nidarosa - did you manage to find a source of easy supply?
Did you walk any more caminos?
Please don't think the forum is ignoring you!!!
I wish you another happy camino - with no PF pain.....
Buen camino!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
@Stephen Nicholls I had completely forgotten this post! I did go back to Astorga in September 2014 and managed to buy a few more tubs in the same hotel in Cacabelos. In fact I still have one left after discovering Voltaren/Voltarol which really helped for the PF when it flared up. I have been back on the Francés five times and Inglés once since, and this September I walked from Estella to Finisterra with my husband, so all is good. Thank you for your concern though, how kind of you to reply. I hang out on the forum a lot to stave off the Post Camino Blues and this post brings back memories of a wonderful two week camino with my camino daughter - we met in Rabanal and walked to Santiago together and are still in touch. Buen camino to you too!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum