• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

aussie newbie

Cuffy

hi

I am Cuffy from just north of Sydney i am walking the comino in late May 2011 from Lourdes.
Iam 66 old this will be my first comino i wonder how fit i need to be i still work in heavy construction
in the mining industry God Bless Cuffy

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I met plenty of 80-somethings on the Camino, so I'd say you'll be just fine!

If you can only do one type of getting-ready, I'd suggest beginning to do stretching. Stretch your legs muscles slowly. And prepare by buying good equipment. In my experience those who had problems along the Way either carried too much weight, had ill-fitting shoes, or insisting on walking with injuries.

From experience, I suggest that you break the first stage from SJPP to Roncevalles into 2 days. The view are spectacular but the walking is difficult if you are not in shape. Either make reservations at Hunto or Orisson and do not let ANYONE talk you out of it. That few kilometers can make the difference between the first day being wonderful or being hell-day! We had made reservations for Hunto, but the hospitalero told us, "Don't stop! Just keep going! It's not that difficult! You can do it! It's EASY!"

I could have strangled him when I reached the summit. I cried every step from the top of that hill into Roncevalles. I was NOT in shape and it was EXTREMELY difficult for me. During the night when I had to get out of bed to go to the toilet, I thought I would die. Dramatic, yes.. but true. Once I began walking the next day, my muscles and bones warmed up, but it could have been a bad end. So ... except for that first day.. the rest is easy in my opinion. Just take caution on the first stretch and you'll be fine.

After the SJPP to Roncevalles stage, it's easy going. By the time you reach anything difficult, you've developed a pace and have built up stamina.

So... buy GOOD fitting shoes with a BIG roomy toe-box and CUSHIONED soles. Make them a size larger than you normally wear because your feet WILL swell. Carry a very light pack and remember, there's nothing you need that you can't find or buy in Spain.

Then just go... and have a great Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Cuffy, I would imagine that you will have plenty of strength doing what you do, and starting in Lourdes you will be breaking yourself in gently (although there is a long stretch after Oloron St Maire - assuming that you will cross the Pyrenees at Somport). Just walk "into" the Camino - take it at a gentle pace for the first few days, take time to stop and admire the view, chat to fellow pilgrims, enjoy the experience of walking into buildings such as Churches, far older than anything we have in this country, and having a rest. You will be fine. You have chosen a pleasant time to begin walking too - although the Meseta will be getting very hot by the time you get there. It is a clear heat though, and if you start early in the morning and finish around lunch time it should be OK - the Spanish pilgrims often have a "looooong lunch" and then start walking late in the afternoon again. Mind you, it is still pretty hot around the 5.00 mark - a bit like here really. Cheers, Janet

Good for you. Yes, take your time, stop and smell the roses and take care of your feet. May was when I walked my first Camino and the weather was beautiful. I hope it is for you too. Good luck, check out my blog.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
If you are planning to start a Camino in October 2024, you are invited to add a post to this thread – scroll down to the last post, and create a new post giving your expected start date, start...
Hi, this is Nils from Tenerife. I'm excited to start my very first camino - let's see what it will bring! 😍 For me, this journey is very much like an inwardly guided shamanic ceremony, following...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.