• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Back injury delay my camino

Billy Buell

Walking Willie
Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy to sjpdp, next planned Norte.
I would be starting Le Puy route in May but I crushed 3 vertebrae in Feburary. I'm wondering if anyone has carried a back pack on a Camino after a similar injury. I never had surgery but am wearing a back brace until May then will start physio therapy. Is September potentially long enough to revover. L1 vertebrae was crushed the worst and was unstable. But healing is going well with alignment good. I don't have pain and I'm walking 5 km each day now. Does a 12 kilo back pack put lot of stress on a spine. Thanks for any insights. Billy

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
"Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast."

For recovery from serious injuries, that saying is very applicable. Pushing a recovery to hard and fast can make recovery take longer. Patience and persistence is key.

Yes, any loading of the spine will put stress on your injury. It will be vital to keep in detailed communication with your doctor. The question that is most important is whether the injury has developed sufficient knitting of the bone and ancillary support to carry that load for that distance for the number of hours per day you will need to do so. Only your doctor can answer that based on the available objective data that he sees, including radiography (direct contrast MRI, etc).

Keep in mind that whatever someone on this forum says about their own experiences, does not apply to you. It can be a type of guidance as to what is or isn't possible, but like snowflakes, no two injuries and outcomes are alike.

I wish you the very best, and hope that your recovery is swift and complete before September. My prayers are with you.

Several years ago I suffered a far less severe spinal injury with a prolapsed disc while walking with a pack of similar weight. Recovery was fairly quick and I have since made a couple of long (1000+ km) walks with similar weights. During those walks I was certainly aware of pressure on my lower back even with a well-fitting rucksack. Part of that may be slight paranoia :) I have also taken greater care not to repeat the experience! I wish you a swift and full recovery and much joy when you return to walking long-distance. I can only agree 100% with @davebugg that the only advice which really matters must come from your medical team who have all the facts and knowledge on hand. Pax et bonum.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have severe arthritis in my neck and was only able to carry a day pack on both Caminos that I did

"Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast."

For recovery from serious injuries, that saying is very applicable. Pushing a recovery to hard and fast can make recovery take longer. Patience and persistence is key.

Yes, any loading of the spine will put stress on your injury. It will be vital to keep in detailed communication with your doctor. The question that is most important is whether the injury has developed sufficient knitting of the bone and ancillary support to carry that load for that distance for the number of hours per day you will need to do so. Only your doctor can answer that based on the available objective data that he sees, including radiography (direct contrast MRI, etc).

Keep in mind that whatever someone on this forum says about their own experiences, does not apply to you. It can be a type of guidance as to what is or isn't possible, but like snowflakes, no two injuries and outcomes are alike.

I wish you the very best, and hope that your recovery is swift and complete before September. My prayers are with you.

Thank you very much for your well thought out advice which I'm going to follow. I'll do as much as I can to get in shape but I expect September will be too soon so I realistically consider May 2019 as my Pilgrimage target. I'm disappointed but realize I'm lucky to still be walking. You were very kind to respond. I'll update you in the months ahead of my progress.

Several years ago I suffered a far less severe spinal injury with a prolapsed disc while walking with a pack of similar weight. Recovery was fairly quick and I have since made a couple of long (1000+ km) walks with similar weights. During those walks I was certainly aware of pressure on my lower back even with a well-fitting rucksack. Part of that may be slight paranoia :) I have also taken greater care not to repeat the experience! I wish you a swift and full recovery and much joy when you return to walking long-distance. I can only agree 100% with @davebugg that the only advice which really matters must come from your medical team who have all the facts and knowledge on hand. Pax et bonum.
Thanks for the encouragement. Like I commented to Davebugg I'll let you know my progress in coming months.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.