• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Sick on my first day of Camino

dadaperegrino

Time of past OR future Camino
2023 - Camino Francés
Hey there, I am in Ferrol, arrived Saturday night here, I was supposed to start my walk today, however…I got sick.
I woke up yesterday with pain all over the body and soon realized I had fever 🤒

Last night the fever was coming and going. Today I wanted to stay an extra day at the albergue, but they told me I need to get a medical certificate!
So now we checked in at the Parador, going to take a comfortable rest.
Anyone else with other similar stories?

Morale is pretty low today, I trained a lot and prepared so much for this winter Camino. I’ve even had a flu shot two weeks ago, yet here I am 😢

I think I need some Camino love ❤️🙏

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Today I wanted to stay an extra day at the albergue, but they told me I need to get a medical certificate!
This is not something albergues usually ask for. In Lugo, the hospitalero not only let us stay, they gave us the menosvalidos room and cleaned up when one of us was sick on the floor of the bathroom. Anyway, I hope you get better soon.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Take care of yourself and hopefully you'll be able to get some plain chicken soup or other bland, but nourishing comfort food. Paradores where we have stayed had great chef menus, but "pickled hummingbird lips" and the like may not be what you want or need when feeling ill.

As kid I remember chicken soup, cinnamon toast, and 7-up as the go to for sick-in-bed days. Hope resting will help you recover. Do see a doctor if you are not better soon.

I am eagerly waiting for @Tincatinker to chime in with Orujo...
Don Jose Maria Alonso - the famous garlic soup maker and priest of San Juan de Ortega - once insisted I swallow about 150ml of cheap Spanish gin in a single gulp after I had spent most of the day sweating and vomiting with what probably was either heat stress or food poisoning. Before putting the glass to my lips I asked him to bury me and inform my wife if the treatment proved fatal. He told me not to worry - my wife was young and would marry again.... The first 20 seconds or so were agony as the stuff cauterized my innards. Then there was a miraculous inner warm glow. I slept very soundly and was in fine form for the walk into Burgos the next day! :cool:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hey there, I am in Ferrol, arrived Saturday night here, I was supposed to start my walk today, however…I got sick.

Last night the fever was coming and going. Today I wanted to stay an extra day at the albergue, but they told me I need to get a medical certificate!

Morale is pretty low today, I trained a lot and prepared so much for this winter Camino. I’ve even had a flu shot two weeks ago, yet here I am 😢

Really sorry. That’s a bummer. Hope you feel better soon.

Oh I can relate to your situation. In April I was leaving Porto and got sick. Every 10 feet I had to vomit. I was laying on the sidewalk in the outskirts of Porto. I managed to walk 8 miles before I found a hotel. I begged for a room but no avails. The reception called an ambulance. Spent some time in the emergency room, got some meds and a drip. Walked 9km the next day but the day after that I walked 29km. You’ll be back on your feet soon enough. Never got a bill from the hospital but I could barely eek out my USA address so maybe it got lost in transit. Take care!!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Don Jose Maria Alonso - the famous garlic soup maker and priest of San Juan de Ortega - once insisted I swallow about 150ml of cheap Spanish gin in a single gulp after I had spent most of the day sweating and vomiting with what probably was either heat stress or food poisoning. Before putting the glass to my lips I asked him to bury me and inform my wife if the treatment proved fatal. He told me not to worry - my wife was young and would marry again.... The first 20 seconds or so were agony as the stuff cauterized my innards. Then there was a miraculous inner warm glow. I slept very soundly and was in fine form for the walk into Burgos the next day! :cool:
What a wonderful anecdote!!! I would love that famous garlic soup now!

Hi fellow pilgrims! Thank you all for your warm and kind words ❤️

A small update from my side, last night was really bad, so today I decided to go to the doctor. They were very kind and told me I need a few more days of rest.
For now I’ll stick with paracetamol and some medicine for the stomach which is a bit upset.
Maybe in a couple of days I’ll be able to resume the walk 🙏🥾

A selection of Camino Jewellery

I've got 'flu too but I am at least at home and happy to be here! Paracetemol helps me. There are so many different types of 'flu, you're only protected against 1 or 2. I hope you feel better soon and can continue your walk. Good luck! (I hope to try a bit of the walk mext year.)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I am wishing you the best!

I was violently sick a few days ago in Barcelos on the Portuguese route.

I felt tons better a few days later. Just take it easy on your body and yourself! You'll recover and get going again in no time. Just rest and rest and rest!

🤞🏻 Wishing you a quick recovery.

In 2021 I remember flying into Irun via Madrid... and on the plane being so cold. I was the only person wrapped in a blanket. Once I reached Irun, and headed out on the Norte (the first day is ALWAYS the hardest), I felt sooooo fatigued. I actually pulled out my sleeping bag and rested alongside the trail. I used my phone and changed my reservation from an albergue to a hotel. I took a rest day (Day 2) at the same hotel and avoided all contact.

The next day (day 3) I walked to Zarautz. It was miserable. I ended up taking a second rest day there. I was not well.

I then took a taxi (day 5) to Markina. Skipping two stages but keeping up with my itinerary.

After that, for the next 5 days, I was able to walk the normal stages... gradually getting back to normal, but always staying isolated. I never stayed in an albergue.

On day 10 I actually had my first conversation with another peregrino. I was fine by then.

I was scared to get tested, because I didn't want to be quarantined... but I'm pretty sure it was....

It's different now... though.

Sorry to hear you are not well . After 5 years of planning We arrived in Le Puy to start Camino and discovered we had covid high fevers etc - we just bunkered down for five days and because we were on a schedule travelled to say 5 and started there. We walked 750 km and had an amazing time. Please don’t be too distressed take your time to rest and have your pack transported for a couple of days until you feel stronger sending you some healing vibes 😊

I'm so sorry you're sick!
But the Parador is a GREAT idea!
One year I was sick walking into Santo Domingo.
It was cold and windy and the albergue at that time didn't open until 4 pm.
I walked into the Parador and got a room and was SOOOOO happy!
3 hot baths, breakfast in bed!
Got home to a bill of over $300 but it was worth it!
Feel better soon!
And lucky you at €77/night!

IMG_0985.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm so sorry you're sick!
But the Parador is a GREAT idea!
One year I was sick walking into Santo Domingo.
It was cold and windy and the albergue at that time didn't open until 4 pm.
I walked into the Parador and got a room and was SOOOOO happy!
3 hot baths, breakfast in bed!
Got home to a bill of over $300 but it was worth it!
Feel better soon!
And lucky you at €77/night!
I love the picture! Those times are the best!

Most read last week in this forum

We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...
Hi all, just a quickie. My friend is near Burgos and needs a chairopractor to give his back a click 😳 Apparently he has it done when home in Canada (it straightens the spine )but doesn't know if...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.