• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Back to Faro

futurefjp

Camino enthusiast.
Time of past OR future Camino
Prior to dog sitting I went and walked 7 days from Faro to Fornalhas Velhas. Now I am heading back on Monday to Faro once more. Not sure yet if I try to get back where I left off or have two weeks out from Faro once more? I've a bit more time and can't come back prior to the half term break in the UK as flights are very expensive. There was an alternative route from Castro Verde towards Colos and Cercal do Alentejo so that's a possibility?

The first few days passing out of Faro up into the hills via Loulé, Salir, Ameixial and crossing into Alentejo around Santa Cruz were excellent... But the next few stages were a bit monotonous on the plains... It's the nature of el Camino, I know...

So back to Faro Monday. There is Tavira to go along the Nascente too as an option?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Prior to dog sitting I went and walked 7 days from Faro to Fornalhas Velhas. Now I am heading back on Monday to Faro once more. Not sure yet if I try to get back where I left off or have two weeks out from Faro once more? I've a bit more time and can't come back prior to the half term break in the UK as flights are very expensive. There was an alternative route from Castro Verde towards Colos and Cercal do Alentejo so that's a possibility?

The first few days passing out of Faro up into the hills via Loulé, Salir, Ameixial and crossing into Alentejo around Santa Cruz were excellent... But the next few stages were a bit monotonous on the plains... It's the nature of el Camino, I know...

So back to Faro Monday. There is Tavira to go along the Nascente too as an option?
If you get the opportunity to visit Tavira I cannot recommend this town highly enough. For me it is a beautiful place where you can rest up and relax or sight see as much as you want. If you don't speak Portuguese I can guarantee you that 99% of the people you meet will speak almost flawless English. Good luck and enjoy your travels.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
As everyone here knows I am a big fan of the Nascente so it’s definitely an option, although you won’t have time to do the whole thing.
How long does it take to get to Spain along the Nascente?

It took us about 50 days! The Nascente is about 650km from Tavira to Trancoso and then there are a few different options for continuing towards Santiago. We chose the Torres and Geira.
I might walk a bit of it to Trancoso. But I might also get myself back to Tui and walk to Santiago. That was impossible back in December when the rain came down as I plodded to the station in Ă‚ncora Praia five days along the Coastal

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I caught the train from Faro to Tavira and walked tiredly all morning. Yesterday was exhausting and I don't know if I can just fly then walk anymore. Anywho I am in Vila Real de Santò António...

Coming up in a few days, between Alcoutim and Mértola (~45km) the only place to stay is in Mezquita, as far as I’m aware. So I think it would be wise to call ahead to see if it’s open. Info at Wise Pilgrim.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
For the first time in ages I actually don't know what I am doing. Doing here in Portugal on a road to nowhere... Walking through the resort strewn shoreline, following the Ria Formosa to its destiny. Passing between a giant of a manicured golf course to a town sat on the west side of the Guadiana river dissecting Iberia into The Algarve Portugal and Andalusia Spain. Yesterday was a none day. The previous day was a none day. I've felt less than zero since the argument with my mother, which appears to have broken something which can't be fixed ... And whatever I ate yesterday (cheese I think) was not good - it wasn't cold from the fridge so might've been at ambient temperature for a long time. Where do I go from here? East into Spain and the unknown (Like when I got off the bus at the Mexican/Guatamalan border and walked into the unknown)? I absolutely have no idea what the area around Seville/Huelva/Cadiz is like.

I am in the borderland - a frontier ... I don't know what to do today. This bust up with my mum means I've lost the one person who seems to be interested in me 100%. I am being far too narcissistic? I feel like there is no Way/Camino if I am only waking for myself, which makes no sense. All the level effects I have are being had by me. Yesterday, tired but plodding on passed the lagoons the experience I was having was for me. When I ate that fantastic lunch I was having the effect of joy. But as the course maintains all minds are joined at a fundamental level and one joyous moment is for all. In all ways ...

Today is actually day one. Going north, not east... Called in to a café in the Mercado where I have to get into a positive mood? It's colder this morning. And theforecast says stop worrying? What spiritual answers am I looking for on the road, when I always say the path is the destination - the spirit is here and now. There is nothing behind or ahead... Only the present?

Nearly time to have my shadow before me rather than hidden: north not east. Two pastel and two café Americano. On Sunday I will step over into Spain... But I've got to stick to the original plan. In 5 days I will be in Beja? But first Castro Marim, tostas and água mineral Pedras

Last edited:
Second pit stop at Pastelaria A Prova for more mineral water and a very delicious cheesecake. A takeaway cheese and ham sandwich - which was lovely! And I ate it leaving the village and heading off on the Caminho Nascente and leaving the GR15 as the option up ahead may be fully booked, or closed or on vacation... Casa de Paz

Anne on a meeting. The casa is only available during July and August which is simply no fun in February. Nice dog. Busy lady. Carry on.

Fate. If I hadn't walked off piste, across a wheat field and alongside the river, missing both the yellow arrows and the GR signs, as they disappeared somewhere, the bus which came around the corner, just as I arrived at Foz de Odeleite, wouldn't have had me on it. And it's only 2€. Trust the Camino to open up?

HI Hostel at the end of town Pousada Juventude de Alcoutim 17€ with a French cyclist. He says the weather will be different tomorrow. Yes I saw rain in the forecast too. Had a long cleansing shower. Changed into some warmer items of clothing. Probably should go and enjoy the view across the Guardiana to Espanha.

Lots of English voices outside the Miragem Bar. A cluster to the right who are locals and to the left too? That cleanse was good. The hostel is clean and easy. I stayed in some along the coast after Estoril and prior to Figueira do Foz.

There is a zip wire between the two nations. Alcoutim is the capital of the region and SanlĂşcar de Guardiana is the arse end of Huelva region says Samuel who has bought his home and boat here and left Swanage forever!

There are three dogs having a little war in the narrow passage and each one is too old to go around grumbling, but each one had his nads and Fenton is the top dog. Liam the GSP is being told to piss off. Black, an old but friendly Labrador, is not sure about Liam either! It's because he's German the owners say ... Yup only Englanders could still dislike Germans in Portugal.

Down to the 'beach' for yet more cheese and ham. Third meal today which has this as it's main contents. It's a means to an end. After this it's bed and, hopefully, a solid kip? Simple pizza. There is a German couple also walking the Camino who I didn't want to sit near me as I was literally devouring a pizza with no intention of breaking away for a conversation and now I am horizontal once more... I apologised as I left Praia de Pego Fundo and expected to see Black once more as he trundled out of town with me down to the beach, but he'd probably gone 'Casa' as the owner of the bar told him to return like a drunk who needs a gentle persuasion?

Back to the village from the hostel for coffee and a pastry. More cheese and ham. There is a breakfast at the hostel, complementary, but, even though I slept soundly until 6:20 I can't wait around until 8:30 I'll already be on route to MĂ©rtola...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
At 8:30am Thursday I left to join The Way after calling back to the youth hostel to drop off my keys and pick up the picnic bag. It's not there! Oh I was meant to collect at 6pm the previous night? I was snoring around then (12 hours kip as the wind chopped through the valley). So I stopped for a yogurt and a short longo and to make a sandwich, pilfer some Madeleine and collect another piece of fruit but now my backpack is weighing me down once more...

... As I am followed by all the dogs a man hollers me: stop. He comes off his plot with six fresh tangerines and three fresh lemons. So I stopped at the exit to the village, Monte VascĂŁo, schooed away another Black and sat eat the final navel orange which I have carried in the disintegrating 40l Lacuma since just on the edge of Tavira. Now I am weighing more on my back, but just about to repeat the frontier crossing into Alentejo further along the VascĂŁo from back in January?

Every river has to be crossed... And every snake held off with sticks, or just it let be? Nasturtiums by the fork in the road. And I carried a staff until I didn't need it. Up a pass from the river. It was just lying their amidst the snakes. There was probably a bridge somewhere which the German pilgrims had surmounted, but like the good commando I took my boots off, stuffed them in the disintegrating sack and walked carefully through the crotch deep shallower area: at first I almost went in at the narrowest point with rushing water, but then thought nada!

Then after filling my flask from one of the numerous white and blue wells in Alentejo(built in the 1960s), I walked into Mesquita but it was closed ... Then I walked along the tedious stretch of road as the heavens were unfolding their sweet rain and I knew I just couldn't go no further! However, just as I was struggling with one foot in front of the other, Alex(Karlsruhe), driving the IVECO camper I'd waved at in Mesquita, comes along and I am delivered to a bath in Hotel Beira Rio - which has 'sand paper' to prevent slippage when having a shower, but also cuts up the bottom of the spine ... Oh the joys of 40€.

But I am quite exhausted. The recommended etape of 40kms is plain stupid. Without anything after the few clusters around Cortes Pereiras, where I heard delightful music, and afterwards when I was followed by a lovely mutt and was given a sack of tangerines, and silence around the mound behind those nasturtiums in Mesquita. That couple enjoying lunch in their IVECO...

Second vino. The first vinegar and the second nectar. The first was literally squeezed from the sack and the second was from the unopened bag. It's Alentejo, but the first was only for the chips?

Only the locals. Good Vinho. And a lot of laughter, but no British voices. Sam and his stories are back in Alcoutim. I guess he had a hangover with the 'snake-bite' he was a-mixing? No dogs fighting each other, yet!

But then to feel threatened by a 5ft nationalist; the dog! The world is larger, taller and more inclusive. Your attitude is the same I would get from any local in Leeds, but I am miles from there... It's odd. The world in MĂ©rtola feels exclusive, excluding. When I am seeing a slice of life? From the wheels on the bus in Portuguese to the wheels of the bus fall off... eu nĂŁo falo portuguĂŞs. Sorry.

Very early Friday.
Came back sorted my stuff out and slept until the breeze blew up the valley rattling the curtains as I'd left the window open. So I shut it. But then something indigestible came back to haunt me? As it was passing both ends I wonder if it was the cabbage in the stew in the locals bar? Sure feels odd having cold sweats from cabbage, but one can never tell? And the rain falls down.

Not that I am a fair weather pilgrim, but I usually hate setting off when it's already raining! I don't mind when it begins when I am already away, as it did when I'd retied my boots on the Alentejo side of the river, and until Alex allowed me a lift to the bus station stop in MĂ©rtola.

Funnily I was in MĂ©rtola as a tourist back in 2016 and it rained then too! And I didn't like it... I don't know why, but it's got something oppressive about the castle overlooking the ravine of the Guadiana - almost Gormangastian? To seek coffee and decide on the day ahead? Carry on North or something else? Coffee first!

I didn't know where to drop the key so I left it on the landing just as I unlocked the front door. It's not raining, but it's dark and satanic for 7am. That hooded castle looming over me? OK across the street from the Multibanco is a cafe just rolling up her shutters. Let's start again? I don't know what I am doing today... And there is another stream to cross, but after yesterday's downpour I don't think it is possible?

... Wound me up and off I go again ... Day four since Tavira!

Did five days, one day early, to Beja before the heavens spoke(rain beyond comprehension) and the only opportunity to return was from Seville - so back to Tavira for one quiet night and Seville for two, where I spent the time locating the coquille ...1000003179.jpg

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back