• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Band of Trudgers - Virtual Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Anybody else on the Forum walking the Camino Frances care of Walking4Fun?

I know we have @jozero mid-way between Zubiri and Pamplona. I'm just about to get my credential stamped at Torres del Rio and @easygoing is way ahead around Leon.

Anybody else?

"We few, we happy few, we Band of Trudgers"

View attachment 75412
Well, allright. I will park my walk on the West highland Way and start the Cf. I will be very slow though as life is busy in these lockdown times. I want to know in two easy steps how to get your credential and stamps. No complicated directions please... and let me tell anyone on the way between Zubiri and Pamplona: do not miss San Esteban, in Zabaldika. It IS on the ‘real’ camino. Though these days, what is real maybe needs to start with a read of the following book: The Velveteen Rabbit. That outlives any old virus...
and thanks, Jeff, for the nudge

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, allright. I will park my walk on the West highland Way and start the Cf. I will be very slow though as life is busy in these lockdown times. I want to know in two easy steps how to get your credential and stamps. No complicated directions please... and let me tell anyone on the way between Zubiri and Pamplona: do not miss San Esteban, in Zabaldika. It IS on the ‘real’ camino. Though these days, what is real maybe needs to start with a read of the following book: The Velveteen Rabbit. That outlives any old virus...
and thanks, Jeff, for the nudge
Good for you. I think you can start anywhere along the Frances though @jozero started from SJPP as did my friend Paula and I although our mutual friend Therese is joining at Leon, or maybe Burgos . . .

The Credential is just a bit of silliness between me and my fellow Penguin, Paula. Just make a new table in Word (or whatever you use) and copy and paste them in as you go. I've attached the one from SJPP to start you off.

You also get stage stickers from Walking4Fun (Stage 1 on the CF being SJPP to Roncesvalles) and 10,000 20,000 30,000 step badges. 10000 steps is a snail, 20000 is a turtle, 30000 steps . . . .well I just haven't got there yet :)

You can collect your sellos from Roncesvalles onwards go to

Camino Navarro for sellos from Roncesvalles until Obanos

and

French Way for sellos from Puente la Reina to SdC

The main site has an amazing collection of sellos from refugios, churches, town halls, bars - you should be able to find your favourites grouped by nearest town.

DM if you have any problems.

See you along the way and remember: no taxis, buses or hoverboards! We are Virtuous Virtual Pilgrims after all, not Tourigrinos!

1590073401113.png

Attachments

• SJPP.jpg
    SJPP.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 18
Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Anybody else?
I'm the curmudgeon who is well off-piste on the Viejo, and anyway looking askance at such new-fangled apps. ;)
I have to say, even without an app, having a destination sure helps the discipline.
Buen camino fellow trudgers - I lift my cafe con leche to you in appreciation!

Good for you. I think you can start anywhere along the Frances though @jozero started from SJPP as did my friend Paula and I although our mutual friend Therese is joining at Leon, or maybe Burgos . . .

The Credential is just a bit of silliness between me and my fellow Penguin, Paula. Just make a new table in Word (or whatever you use) and copy and paste them in as you go. I've attached the one from SJPP to start you off.

You also get stage stickers from Walking4Fun (Stage 1 on the CF being SJPP to Roncesvalles) and 10,000 20,000 30,000 step badges. 10000 steps is a snail, 20000 is a turtle, 30000 steps . . . .well I just haven't got there yet :)

You can collect your sellos from Roncesvalles onwards go to

Camino Navarro for sellos from Roncesvalles until Obanos

and

French Way for sellos from Puente la Reina to SdC

The main site has an amazing collection of sellos from refugios, churches, town halls, bars - you should be able to find your favourites grouped by nearest town.

DM if you have any problems.

See you along the way and remember: no taxis, buses or hoverboards! We are Virtuous Virtual Pilgrims after all, not Tourigrinos!

View attachment 75436
Ah, Jeff, you are very patient. Thank you. I can't get my bike over there, and anyway I would have to walk up every slope. So it will be Shanks' mare without a doubt. I am not allowed to use public transport and can't afford a taxi. I said I would be slow. My app gives me 1km more than walking4fun, but that's ok. It is a paltry 8.1km - looks better at 12,282 steps! I guess I am near Orrisson. I also guess I would be totally bunched if this were for real! See you tomorrow, as I am walking no more this day.

I’m 6km short of Astorga. I should have been starting my first CF for real next Wednesday, so I was really pleased to have found this site and got an insight into some of the scenery I will one day walk through. Not sure that I will reach Astorga by evening. Just about to walk the dogs but that’ll only add on another 2 or 3km. I’m on Stage 22 (walking much less distance per day than I hope to be in reality). My profile name is Sue127. Maybe we’ll meet up on route. Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Well, good morning. I added another 6916 steps to my total, and that takes me to about half way to Roncesvalles. I am having a look at Stingy nomad. Poor soul, she is puffing and panting but her views are far superior to mine... In reality, mine was 50 minutes flat walking, with very few other people on the streets. I was wielding my nordic poles to help me stay straight backed, and had my pack forwarded 😇. Reaching the albergue - and here is the funny part: it is the same one I used to find when on total lockdown, always plenty of space, lovely welcome, great breakfasts... right now just finished a bowl of cornflakes. A lockdown breakfast. Time to move on, Stingy nomad has caught up with me. 🤣 I will see how half an hour more works on my stamina. I am luckier than stingy nomad - she is surrounded by the mist of early morning. See you later folks!
Now have just about ten more km to do. Very windy. Will be a struggle... it will be very late by the time I get to Roncesvalles... 👣 👣
Second edit: now, 19.6km done. The final 6 something will take it out of me, all downhill... I had to stop for a real, but virtual, funeral service. Beautiful, if sad, because only ten people were allowed to attend. That is still better than when and perhaps still, people cannot bid farewell in a dignified manner...
Now, socks and shoes off for a while. I will help (actually I am the real hospitalera in this albergue!) get lunch sorted, and then will take two more spells in the laneway to bring me galloping down to Roncesvalles. See you later, pilgrims.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Well, good morning. I added another 6916 steps to my total, and that takes me to about half way to Roncesvalles. I am having a look at Stingy nomad. Poor soul, she is puffing and panting but her views are far superior to mine... In reality, mine was 50 minutes flat walking, with very few other people on the streets. I was wielding my nordic poles to help me stay straight backed, and had my pack forwarded 😇. Reaching the albergue - and here is the funny part: it is the same one I used to find when on total lockdown, always plenty of space, lovely welcome, great breakfasts... right now just finished a bowl of cornflakes. A lockdown breakfast. Time to move on, Stingy nomad has caught up with me. 🤣 I will see how half an hour more works on my stamina. I am luckier than stingy nomad - she is surrounded by the mist of early morning. See you later folks!
Now have just about ten more km to do. Very windy. Will be a struggle... it will be very late by the time I get to Roncesvalles... 👣 👣
Second edit: now, 19.6km done. The final 6 something will take it out of me, all downhill... I had to stop for a real, but virtual, funeral service. Beautiful, if sad, because only ten people were allowed to attend. That is still better than when and perhaps still, people cannot bid farewell in a dignified manner...
Now, socks and shoes off for a while. I will help (actually I am the real hospitalera in this albergue!) get lunch sorted, and then will take two more spells in the laneway to bring me galloping down to Roncesvalles. See you later, pilgrims.
"Will you walk a little faster?" said a whiting to a snail,
"There's a Kirkie close behind us, and she's treading on my tail.

It is not a race! ;)

Sending you a DM

👣👣I made it to Roncesvalles. It was so good to be met by my walking companion’s father. In no time we were in Pamplona, consuming the best zumo de naranja in the world! Then showers, washing clothes and the most wonderful simple salad...plenty of chat and now early to bed as we have an early start, if we want to be walking from Roncesvalles in the morning by 7am. Till tomorrow,
1590180446222.png

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
ON Walking 4 Fun:
Been walking 3 days (at 3 miles per day) and I am STILL in Lisbon! At this rate, I won't be in SCQ until sometime in September. Good thing I don't have to concern myself with the 90 day limit in the Schengen area!

I just started from St Jean yesterday...just 3k...
It's gonna be a slow camino 😁
As @ Jeff Crawley said: it’s not a race! @drvsmiln is predicting a September arrival. I just wanted to make sure I got to Roncesvalles in two days instead of three, but from here, it will be what it is.
We left Roncesvalles in good time, and look forward to the second best tortilla ever (the first best was in the same place on this very date, except it was June, 2006). When i reach Larrasoaña I will post my stamps, but here is one I can post with pride, courtesy of @Turga :
21FA8F80-C6D8-4483-8019-E4467357917D.jpeg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
ON Walking 4 Fun:
Been walking 3 days (at 3 miles per day) and I am STILL in Lisbon! At this rate, I won't be in SCQ until sometime in September. Good thing I don't have to concern myself with the 90 day limit in the Schengen area!
Ah, but which September? ;)
I understand St James is a patient soul and prepared to wait for us.

For my own part I left SJPP on 23rd March and here I am, two months later, having just cleared Torres del Rio.

However: no problem finding a bed for the night; no snoring companions keeping you awake; no blisters; no night-time curfew; no crack of dawn starts; no tripping over your pack on the way to the bathroom in the middle of the night . . .

Best. Camino. Ever. (If you don't mind missing out on the companionship, the food, the scenery . . . )

I missed Astorga by 1.5km yesterday, but will definitely be there today: should I have a rest day there? Will I be able to move after eating chocolate?
Stay at the Hotel Gaudi. Ask for a room looking out over the front. You can stand at the window and wave like Eva Peron as dusty pilgrims pass you by.
Eat the chocolate while standing up or walking around the Plaza. The calories go straight to your feet and give you added impetus (to eat more chocolate) it's a proven fact!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm interested in what you are doing, @Jeff Crawley. Is it a virtual walk on the Camino Frances? How do you get on to that? Is there a website? Would you give some details please?
I've just today finished a virtual walk on the Great Ocean Road here in Australia through the Conqueror Virtual Challenge, 239km.
Okay, I've just seen your link to Walking 4 Fun, lol. I'll check them out.

Last edited:
I'm interested in what you are doing, @Jeff Crawley. Is it a virtual walk on the Camino Frances? How do you get on to that? Is there a website? Would you give some details please?
I've just today finished a virtual walk on the Great Ocean Road here in Australia through the Conqueror Virtual Challenge, 239km.
Hi, there are many walks on the Walking4Fun site, the Camino Frances is just one of them:

1590234322693.png
Head over there and join then pick your route. Every day you add either the number of steps you've taken or your distance in miles or kilometres and it works out where you would have walked to - the site can be quirky and the figures not necessarily add up but hey, that's part of Camino Life - arguing as to whether you walked 16.29 or 16.15km that day ;)

A lot of work has gone into the site with some great photos to show you where you would have been.

Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Sue, no we're just toddling along with the rest of the Neighbors group - you're "Way" ahead of any of us. Have fun in Astorga - not too much chocolate mind! ;) 🍫
We walked from Leon to San Martin del Camino today along a trail in the pines of Washington. The sun was out and several people were very talkative just like the actual Camino.
Tomorrow Astorga 🌻🍫
How do we form a neighbor's group? If you are more savy than I am please add Camino Sharon.
Thanks

Hi, there are many walks on the Walking4Fun site, the Camino Frances is just one of them:

View attachment 75543
Head over there and join then pick your route. Every day you add either the number of steps you've taken or your distance in miles or kilometres and it works out where you would have walked to - the site can be quirky and the figures not necessarily add up but hey, that's part of Camino Life - arguing as to whether you walked 16.29 or 16.15km that day ;)

A lot of work has gone into the site with some great photos to show you where you would have been.

Buen Camino!
Thanks, @Jeff Crawley! I'll get joined up tonight. I've never walked the Camino Frances so maybe that'll be the one. But...I've walked the Caminho Portugues twice, Coastal & Central, & never had time for the Spiritual Variante, Finisterre, or Muxia. So that one may be calling more strongly...who knows! Decisions, decisions.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
We walked from Leon to San Martin del Camino today along a trail in the pines of Washington. The sun was out and several people were very talkative just like the actual Camino.
Tomorrow Astorga 🌻🍫
How do we form a neighbor's group? If you are more savy than I am please add Camino Sharon.
Thanks
It's easy enough, just click on "Create Group" and give it a name and add members' names to it.

It's easy enough, just click on "Create Group" and give it a name and add members' names to it.
I would love to create my group. What names are my fellow virtual Walker's using ?
I added my picture to my name on the site. Maybe if you all did that I could pick you out.
Thanks

Well, here I am on a bit of a rest day. Hah! to tell you the truth, this virtual stuff is messing up my head. I knew where I was when I was slogging along from Roncesvalles to Larrasoaña, and then from there to Cizur Menor, and onward to Santiago. I have to try to be more flexible. I didn't know I was signing up for that!
According to walking4fun, I am at the exact spot that was the end of the road for a blessed pilgrim in 2006. I know that spot like the back of my hand, as I often walk along that path when I am in the area. I am 56.5km into my virtual Camino Frances. yippee!
In my head, to add to the confusion, I am focussing on the people along the way who are coping with a sudden and total loss of livelihood. All I can do is send my best intentions for their capacity to keep on going on.
I use a step counter on my phone. In fact, I use 2. They agree on the steps, but differ on the km. And then, to add insult to injury, walking4fun decides on its own conversion to kms. I am too worn out to argue. I just need to keep going and forget about neat and tidy daily distances that match my real Camino Frances.
It's ok, I am just getting used to having things different.
Watch out, young people. Don't end up like me! Stay flexible.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Well, here I am on a bit of a rest day. Hah! to tell you the truth, this virtual stuff is messing up my head. I knew where I was when I was slogging along from Roncesvalles to Larrasoaña, and then from there to Cizur Menor, and onward to Santiago. I have to try to be more flexible. I didn't know I was signing up for that!
According to walking4fun, I am at the exact spot that was the end of the road for a blessed pilgrim in 2006. I know that spot like the back of my hand, as I often walk along that path when I am in the area. I am 56.5km into my virtual Camino Frances. yippee!
In my head, to add to the confusion, I am focussing on the people along the way who are coping with a sudden and total loss of livelihood. All I can do is send my best intentions for their capacity to keep on going on.
I use a step counter on my phone. In fact, I use 2. They agree on the steps, but differ on the km. And then, to add insult to injury, walking4fun decides on its own conversion to kms. I am too worn out to argue. I just need to keep going and forget about neat and tidy daily distances that match my real Camino Frances.
It's ok, I am just getting used to having things different.
Watch out, young people. Don't end up like me! Stay flexible.
W4F certainly has quirks!
On one page it says I've done
1590514540359.png
On another it says
1590514607197.png

And how come my real life friend #14897 (I usually call her Paula) has done less steps than me but covered more ground?

Just don't fall into the John Brierley distance trap:

Pilgrim 1: "Well Brierley says it's 23.6km"

Pilgrim 2: "Well that can't be right. My GPSr says I've walked 25.67km today!"

Pilgrim 3: "Perhaps you did a bit of Appalachian flatfooting along the way?"

It's been too hot for much walking (IRL) today so I guess I won't make Viana tonight. Shame, I was looking forwards to relaxing in the jacuzzi in my suite at the Palacio de Pujadas

1590514768466.png

It'll still be there tomorrow.

Buenas noches a todos!

I’m Sue127. Just 3.7 km short of Ponferrada. Will have to sleep under the stars tonight.
Thanks Sue for your name. You are just a little ahead of me. we had to sleep out under the stars between St Jean and Roncesvalles but other days have managed to find some interesting little villages on our short days. And a virtual Camino gives you lots of leeway. We haven't had to take a taxi or a bus 😉

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I'm just through Zubiri. My goodness, that descent just before the town...phew!

Actually, I walked from St Jean to Burgos in March this year just before the Spanish lockdown. So the real route is still very clear in my mind. Weather is better in my virtual walk, though!

Buen virtual caminos today, Trudgers ;)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am somewhere around Trinidad de Arre. A little haven, currently run by a very nice guy, supported by his family. I have decided to walk along the wooded path alongside the river. It arrives at the same spot before the path up to the city of Pamplona as the official camino route but it offers shade. Shade! Worth a fortune. This will be our second night staying in the home of my walking companion's father. One more night, and after that, from Puente la Reina, off we go, untethered. it has been a gentle introduction: being delivered to the starting point, collected from the end of day point, then returned to that spot next morning, for three nights. Each day, a little more in the backpack. One step at a time. Nothing more, nothing less. 👣👣

Hi @easygoing , did you create a new group ? I’m still looking in neighbours.
I started a walking buddies group but so far you are the only one to give me their member name. The member number also works.
How was your night of camping last night?
We wanted to make it to Foncebadon so we walked after dinner. Darn. We walked right past it but had a lovely view of Cruz de ferro and then walked back to a warm bed.
Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
So, maybe it’s time to pay attention to some of these tent threads...and have a discussion, civilised of course, about what not to take, to allow for the weight of a tent. Remember, today is Tuesday, Samantha can twitch her nose and magic you in to the albergue of your choice.

So, maybe it’s time to pay attention to some of these tent threads...and have a discussion, civilised of course, about what not to take, to allow for the weight of a tent. Remember, today is Tuesday, Samantha can twitch her nose and magic you in to the albergue of your choice.
Who needs a tent? I just spread my silver emergency blanket out and sleep under the stars. Every virtual night is warm with a star filled sky. I saw a meteor shower last night.

Today is Tuesday? Are you sure? ;)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Virtual walk, but if you’re not in town at bed time, you’ll have to sleep under the stars.
Paula and I have "booked ahead" so we don't take up spaces needed by the rest of the Trudgers

My choices are:

Puente de Reina - Hotel Jakue
Viana - Palacio de Pujadas
Santo Domingo de la Calzada - Parador de Santo Domingo Bernardo de Fresneda
Burgos - Mesón del Cid
Leon - Hotel Hostal San Marcos (technically not possible as it's closed for renovation this year - much nicer than Reis Catolicos IMO)
SdC - Hostal dos Reis Catolicos - because it's nice walking into a hotel looking like a tramp and the staff not batting an eyelid - though I did find it funny that Housekeeping came in to our room and spread protective cloths on the rugs while we were out!

@camino Sharon, are you able to add me? I've just reached Roncevalles, am on my way to Zubiri.

I'm alright, Jack, pull up the ladder...🤣

(Paula and I have "booked ahead" so we don't take up spaces needed by the rest of the Trudgers)

I forgot to say, on fb I'm igailfh, on W4F I'm Squirrelly, or member #16118.
I've extended my Neighbours group to 100km. I can see Kirkie on there. @easygoing

Last edited:
Today is Tuesday? Are you sure? ;)
Of course. Why not? Samantha can make anything be true. I am currently 2.3km shy of the Cathedral in Pamplona. I am heading for Cizur Menor. tempted by the idea of sleeping under the stars but I am a feartie. What if a polar bear came sniffing around while I was asleep? Or worse, some chinches escaped from the nearby Albergues...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I started a walking buddies group but so far you are the only one to give me their member name. The member number also works.
How was your night of camping last night?
We wanted to make it to Foncebadon so we walked after dinner. Darn. We walked right past it but had a lovely view of Cruz de ferro and then walked back to a warm bed.
Buen Camino
My forum name is the same as my walking4fun name. I have enough complications without another persona to pay attention to!

Of course. Why not? Samantha can make anything be true. I am currently 2.3km shy of the Cathedral in Pamplona. I am heading for Cizur Menor. tempted by the idea of sleeping under the stars but I am a feartie. What if a polar bear came sniffing around while I was asleep? Or worse, some chinches escaped from the nearby Albergues...
Offer it a Fox's Glacier Mint?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
What am I doing wrong? I still can't find any of you on W4F. did you start a private group @easygoing ? If so, how do I access it?
If you click on "Friends" on the left hand map (marked in yellow) you'll see everybody on the whole of the walk:

1590679295139.png

1590679016155.png

I'm E on Stage 7, heading into Logrono

1590679207930.png

If you click Friends on the right hand map (marked in red) and you'll see the stage that you yourself are on (as I said, for me Stage 7 and there are 6 people in total on that stage including me)

1590679451862.png

By clicking on stage numbers (blue arrow) and then GO you can jump from stage to stage and see where other people are. Confusingly on this map I'm T!

I'd set up a "Band of Trudgers" group but it looks like that would take me out of the Neighbors group where others (off this Forum) know where to find me.

Hope this helps rather than confuses!

I am virtually somewhere around half a kilometre after Cizur Menor. on this camino, everything approximate. Have you worked that out yet? I think Greeks and Phoenicians were more exact. However, just as I am not a scientist, neither did too much history stick. In fact, I was virtually impervious to being 'learned' very much. Just what was required to get the entrance requirements to third level. This is a public confession. I am actually, not virtually, blushing at the arrogance of that attitude. Fortunately I did learn some more, as a favourite sage titled one of his poems (Pat Ingoldsby).
So, off I go, swinging my poles and making my way up along a favourite section of the early Frances - towards El Perdón. Will stop at the albergue and church on the right. A bit of tortilla is the magnet!
Hasta luego... wave as you pass me, because pass me you will...

I started out yesterday from SJPP and ended just a few miles short of Roncesvilles. So I guess I spent the night sleeping under the stars. 😄 (If this keeps up I'd better start checking the new "Camping On The Camino" threads a little more closely 😉). If I had signed on to this app 7 weeks ago when I first intended to, I'd probably be well along the Camino by now.🚶‍♀️🚶‍♀️🚶‍♀️ But I'm still happy to be trudging along with the rest of you now, bringing up the rear, just like I always seemed to do in reality as well. 😂 Fun stuff.

Today I passed by Felisa's house for the fifth time (4 times IRL and once virtually) and made sure of getting my sello.
1590758514838.png
The first time was September 2001 and I didn't appreciate the significance of the moment. By the time I came back in 2003 Donna Felisa was no more but I got a sello from her daughter Maria. 2012 and there was a distraught Englishman sitting there waiting for his friend who had left his credential behind in Viana - Maria's husband, I imagine it was, took him back there in their van to retrieve it. 2016 - no sello! Was there nobody at the table?

I remember the day well because my friend Jo sent her heavy poncho and some other gear back home from the Correos in Logrono (there's a decent cafe around the corner Entrepuentes) and as we started to leave Logrono it started to drizzle! Worse still we were well west of the town when I realised I'd left my brand new Tilley hat somewhere - but where?

I shall try and find some figs over the weekend.

Friday, just after 3pm. Roasting hot. Uterga! Last time I passed this way I stayed here! Yes, you see right into my head. Stop, register, shower, wash, hang out clothes, have a cold drink...
It is a little tricky coming down from El Perdon but easy does it. It was so lovely to meet a pilgrim from Jerusalem whom I had met a few years ago. One of those things: we coincided as he came out of his albergue. A minute later and he would have gone away ahead. He told me this is his fourth consecutive year walking various caminos. A very interesting young man, a secondary school teacher, and passionate about his work. I have a photo, but won't post it for privacy reasons. Once again, the walking4fun site is telling fibs, so I am going to live approximately for the foreseeable future. I wonder how that will work out, really???
Here are the first five stamps on my very first credencial... when I get time I will sort all that out. I am slowly learning to live with things being virtual. There will be another real one, though. No slacking, and stopping off whenever the fancy takes me! And now, off to help the hospitalera make a bread and butter pudding.

Screenshot 2020-05-29 at 15.24.55.png

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@kirkie - I'm in Uterga this evening too!
Ha! Can you sing Molly Malone? Of course you can, I checked where you are from! Just start singing and I will find you... but maybe you are asleep by now. I was tuning in to an interview with Tara Erraught - such a lovely young woman. Now, quick, teeth, jump in to the bunk...hasta mañana!
ps: did you try the bread and butter pudding at dinner? 🤣

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Don’t mind me and my poor bump of direction, but could you make it to Pereje? Lovely albergue, run by the people of the towN/village. It was the schoolhouse in its day. All beds, no bunks. Sheets! in 2006, I know it was a long time back, there was free wifi on the single desktop computer! Actually, that was the case in all of Castilla and Leon. I am now waiting to be rounded upon by those who have a better sense of direction! Thing is, my notebook is gone from my sight. So I am making up a story for you. Check it out on Consumer.es! Buen camino, you will be there and back before I catch up with you!

Friday, just after 3pm. Roasting hot. Uterga! Last time I passed this way I stayed here! Yes, you see right into my head. Stop, register, shower, wash, hang out clothes, have a cold drink...
It is a little tricky coming down from El Perdon but easy does it. It was so lovely to meet a pilgrim from Jerusalem whom I had met a few years ago. One of those things: we coincided as he came out of his albergue. A minute later and he would have gone away ahead. He told me this is his fourth consecutive year walking various caminos. A very interesting young man, a secondary school teacher, and passionate about his work. I have a photo, but won't post it for privacy reasons. Once again, the walking4fun site is telling fibs, so I am going to live approximately for the foreseeable future. I wonder how that will work out, really???
Here are the first five stamps on my very first credencial... when I get time I will sort all that out. I am slowly learning to live with things being virtual. There will be another real one, though. No slacking, and stopping off whenever the fancy takes me! And now, off to help the hospitalera make a bread and butter pudding.

View attachment 75973
I missed it! Following the Camino on W4F doesn’t take you past it. Steps take me to Dragonte, but maybe I’ll back track for Pereje

Sunday. Almost like the real thing, on the Camino. Sunshine from very early. Slight cooling breeze. Covered a fair bit of ground, and have left Mañeru behind, having greeted the lovely couple who run the albergue. They are very pro pilgrim. Till later, sometime! 👣

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I missed it! Following the Camino on W4F doesn’t take you past it. Steps take me to Dragonte, but maybe I’ll back track for Pereje
Ah, found a photo which says there is s choice of three directions for the Camino; that’s going to confuse me!

I've arrived in Pamplona. Took me just 5 days, which turns out to be only one day more than it took me in 2015. So, not bad. 😊 I'm going to treat myself to a night at La Perla, easily affordable at these virtual prices, and a drink on the plaza at Cafe Iruña before heading off for a tapas run. Beautiful weather today, hope it continues.

I've arrived in Pamplona. Took me just 5 days, which turns out to be only one day more than it took me in 2015. So, not bad. 😊 I'm going to treat myself to a night at La Perla, easily affordable at these virtual prices, and a drink on the plaza at Cafe Iruña before heading off for a tapas run. Beautiful weather today, hope it continues.
Well done, Bala. To be honest I am so out of sync with reality as a result of this virtual palaver, I don't have an idea how long it has taken me to reach Estella, but that is where I am. No worries about which albergue. As this is a virtual camino, I am going to sleep below the stars. On my real Camino Frances reaching Estella happened at the end of day 4. (I began in Roncesvalles.) Social distancing in the albergue sleeping rooms was definitely an unheard of concept. Didn't stop me from sleeping though!
I guess you will be passing me out soon, so I look forward to giving you a wave.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Well done, Bala. To be honest I am so out of sync with reality as a result of this virtual palaver, I don't have an idea how long it has taken me to reach Estella, but that is where I am. No worries about which albergue. As this is a virtual camino, I am going to sleep below the stars. On my real Camino Frances reaching Estella happened at the end of day 4. (I began in Roncesvalles.) Social distancing in the albergue sleeping rooms was definitely an unheard of concept. Didn't stop me from sleeping though!
I guess you will be passing me out soon, so I look forward to giving you a wave.
Yes, the fun of this virtual Camino is we can do anything we want. 😊 On the outside chance I should pass you (doubt it but who knows), I don't know how I would know, other than this thread. I'm lost figuring out the "friend" and "neighbors" section. I read the walk-through a few posts back, but my Android phone doesn't seem to have the same configuration. It seems I'm in a Neighbors group, but I'm the only one in it. 😂🤷‍♀️. Talk about social distancing! Do I invite people to be friends, as on Facebook?

Yes, the fun of this virtual Camino is we can do anything we want. 😊 On the outside chance I should pass you (doubt it but who knows), I don't know how I would know, other than this thread. I'm lost figuring out the "friend" and "neighbors" section. I read the walk-through a few posts back, but my Android phone doesn't seem to have the same configuration. It seems I'm in a Neighbors group, but I'm the only one in it. 😂🤷‍♀️. Talk about social distancing! Do I invite people to be friends, as on Facebook?
You get placed in the Neighbors group automatically - what name are you using on W4F? What is your #number? I've looked at every stage on the CF and can't see you.
If somebody starts up a group with a new name and you join that one it seems you disappear from Neighbours which is why I haven't started a "Band of Trudgers" group there are people that aren't on this Forum that will stick with Neighbours rather than BoT.
I'm happy where I am (Logrono).

Ok, so don't look for anybody taller than 5ft 2inches, and do look for someone with a distinctly red face from the heat, and a Lowe Alpine 33/40 rucksack, and Meindl shoes and a lovely hat and a pair of sturdy Leki walking poles with some multi-coloured tape to mark them out from the rest of the pack, and who takes any excuse for a rest. And don't worry, wave at anybody. If they are half decent they will wave back.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You get placed in the Neighbors group automatically - what name are you using on W4F? What is your #number? I've looked at every stage on the CF and can't see you.
If somebody starts up a group with a new name and you join that one it seems you disappear from Neighbours which is why I haven't started a "Band of Trudgers" group there are people that aren't on this Forum that will stick with Neighbours rather than BoT.
I'm happy where I am (Logrono).
I'm Jean (Bala) and my number is 16179. I looked on my profile and I was in a private group that consisted only of me 🤪. So I deleted that "group" and now I'm not in anything. It's telling me I can add neighbors, search groups, or create a group. I'll keep playing around with it and see what I come up with. Any suggestions appreciated!Screenshot_20200602-171537_Chrome.jpg

Bala, my name is as here on the forum and my number is 16038, if that info is of any use to you, to take away the feeling of being alone, all alone! Not a common occurrence on the Frances, in reality! Temperature here is down today so should make for easier walking.,,. 👣

I'm Jean (Bala) and my number is 16179. I looked on my profile and I was in a private group that consisted only of me 🤪. So I deleted that "group" and now I'm not in anything. It's telling me I can add neighbors, search groups, or create a group. I'll keep playing around with it and see what I come up with. Any suggestions appreciated!View attachment 76249
I see you!

1591171828942.png

I just added your number as a "friend" and there you are, letter H on the Stage 4 map - not alone at all:

1591172002145.png

Can you see the wind turbines on the Sierra del Perdon ahead of you yet?

I'm "Levi" on walk4fun. Same as here. Just outside Los Arcos at the moment...
I am in and around Irache. A bit late in the day to keep going. Amazing how time flies. Samantha has twitched her nose and I am back in the usual albergue, nice and cosy with a bit of heating on. Till tomorrow, friends and neighbours!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Tomorrow Astorga 🌻🍫
Thanks
Thanks Sue for your name. You are just a little ahead of me. we had to sleep out under the stars between St Jean and Roncesvalles but other days have managed to find some interesting little villages on our short days. And a virtual Camino gives you lots of leeway. We haven't had to take a taxi or a bus 😉
@easygoing you’ve sailed past me. I’m about 35 km behind you now, about 11km out of O’ Cebriero. Doesn’t appear to be any lodgings around, so under the stars and hoping the rain holds off.

I see you!

View attachment 76274

I just added your number as a "friend" and there you are, letter H on the Stage 4 map - not alone at all:

View attachment 76275

Thank you! But I still doing something wrong somew
I see you!

View attachment 76274

View attachment 76275

Yes, I see the turbines and I slept under them last night. 😄 Not a lot of progress today, but I did make it down the treacherous descent, no problem when doing this virtually. 😉

I'm still trying to master W4F. Thank you for adding me to to your group, but I think I might have inadvertently deleted myself from it 🤦‍♀️ and started a new group of walkers within 50 miles of me. But at least I see people around, and I've spotted @kirkie up ahead. I'll keep working on this. I'm sure this isn't anywhere near as complicated as I seem to be making it. Oh well, still trudging along, with so many good memories flooding back. 🚶‍♀️🚶‍♀️🚶‍♀️

Bala, my name is as here on the forum and my number is 16038, if that info is of any use to you, to take away the feeling of being alone, all alone! Not a common occurrence on the Frances, in reality! Temperature here is down today so should make for easier walking.,,. 👣
Yes, I've finally spotted you up ahead, along with a lot of others, in front and behind. Too bad I have no clear idea what I did to accomplish this. 😄

Shh!!! Quietly... there is someone in the other room, so I must tiptoe till I am ready to leave. Cool enough, and a breeze. That helps. When Bala passes me by, I will ask her more about her confusion. Might sort out some of my own. Levi is going like streaked lightning. Pity. I never met anyone called Levi before. Ah well, soon off and away, and in case I didn’t say this before: every day is for someone or some people or something. Today will be for the parents struggling with special needs chIdren. Just because.
edit:
on first break, nice cool walk. I have some real things to do so more walking later... 👣

Yes, I've finally spotted you up ahead, along with a lot of others, in front and behind. Too bad I have no clear idea what I did to accomplish this. 😄

Hi, Bala & all Neighbours!
I'm now on stage 5, Kirkie is somewhere ahead of me in the Neighbours group.
My number is #16118, name is Squirrelly. I'm taking 2-3days for each stage & I'm enjoying all the photos as I haven't walked the Camino Frances IRL. I may one day. I have walked the Camino Português & Hadrian's Wall.

Hi, Bala & all Neighbours!
I'm now on stage 5, Kirkie is somewhere ahead of me in the Neighbours group.
My number is #16118, name is Squirrelly. I'm taking 2-3days for each stage & I'm enjoying all the photos as I haven't walked the Camino Frances IRL. I may one day. I have walked the Camino Português & Hadrian's Wall.
Hi, Squirrelly. I see you on the map, a few stages ahead of me. Wonderful walk, isn't it. 😊 A few years ago a friend told me she was going to walk Hadrian's Wall and I was impressed and inspired. I had been thinking of doing the Camino, but didn't really believe I could. But when I heard that, I thought, Darn it! If Ginny can walk across England, I can walk across Spain! And plans got underway. Sounds like you enjoyed it enough to just keep right on walking. 😊

Shh!!! Quietly... there is someone in the other room, so I must tiptoe till I am ready to leave. Cool enough, and a breeze. That helps. When Bala passes me by, I will ask her more about her confusion. Might sort out some of my own. Levi is going like streaked lightning. Pity. I never met anyone called Levi before. Ah well, soon off and away, and in case I didn’t say this before: every day is for someone or some people or something. Today will be for the parents struggling with special needs chIdren. Just because.
edit:
on first break, nice cool walk. I have some real things to do so more walking later... 👣
You're off to an early start today! Love the idea of walking for a particular purpose each day.

Hey ho! Half way to Los Arcos. Maybe I will go on to Torres Del Río, that’s where we stopped in real time. Was it Casa Mari? On the hill, near the way out and onwards? We’ll see. Seems I slept on the job, as I have just finished breakfast. Ah, well, up and off I go again.
Animo, those behind, and ultreia, those ahead! Listening before I go to a Pilgrim song: Yann Derrien. A beautiful voice (Eimear Quinn) and an accomplished musician (Carlos Nunez). I don’t listen while walking, i prefer to have my ears open for what is going on around me...
Oh yes: today, focussing on the people in this part of the Camino whose wellbeing is challenged by the cessation of business. 👣

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, Squirrelly. I see you on the map, a few stages ahead of me. Wonderful walk, isn't it. 😊 A few years ago a friend told me she was going to walk Hadrian's Wall and I was impressed and inspired. I had been thinking of doing the Camino, but didn't really believe I could. But when I heard that, I thought, Darn it! If Ginny can walk across England, I can walk across Spain! And plans got underway. Sounds like you enjoyed it enough to just keep right on walking. 😊

Hello Bala, I'm enjoying the walking, the Camino Frances, & the fantastic sunny weather. I can dream it's blue sky, sunshine, & 30-35c every day! I did enjoy Hadrian's Wall immensely, I had planned 7 days but did it in 6 by skipping a day ahead, for a good reason. The day I was actually going to walk alongside The Wall was forecast to rain, I don't do rain, so I skipped ahead a day & walked along the Wall in sunshine. That part of the walk is very hilly, very grassy, & very steep in places. No way was I slipping & sliding up there in the rain!
This virtual walking is great, isn't it? Where are you now?

@igailfh , I've arrived in Puente la Reina, after taking my own side trip to Eunate 😉. I had planned to do that in 2015, but my feet had already given out (an issue that would would ultimately delay my arrival in Santiago for 3 years 🤪). I remember sitting on a bench in Obanos and seeing a sign saying "Eunate, 3 km" and thinking, "That's an extra 6k roundtrip. I can't even walk an extra 6 steps." I was so miserable! 😩😩

But now, older and wiser 👩‍🎓, with my custom orthodics and lightweight Mizuno runners replacing my Keen boots and their standard insoles 👣, I'm cruising right along. An extra 6k? Bring it on. Let's go, pilgrims! 🤸‍♀️😄

@igailfh , I've arrived in Puente la Reina, after taking my own side trip to Eunate 😉. I had planned to do that in 2015, but my feet had already given out (an issue that would would ultimately delay my arrival in Santiago for 3 years 🤪). I remember sitting on a bench in Obanos and seeing a sign saying "Eunate, 3 km" and thinking, "That's an extra 6k roundtrip. I can't even walk an extra 6 steps." I was so miserable! 😩😩

But now, older and wiser 👩‍🎓, with my custom orthodics and lightweight Mizuno runners replacing my Keen boots and their standard insoles 👣, I'm cruising right along. An extra 6k? Bring it on. Let's go, pilgrims! 🤸‍♀️😄
Confession: I refused to walk to Eunate in 2006. When we got back to Pamplona, we drove out there. I was rightly ashamed of myself. I have been back a few times since.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
1.5 km short of Triacastela. Not going to make it, so hope the rain holds off. Now if I hadn’t stayed for the last glass of wine (or maybe hadn’t had the first one so early?). ....
Getting excited as Santiago is not really that far away. Come on feet, do better tomorrow.

Confession: I refused to walk to Eunate in 2006. When we got back to Pamplona, we drove out there. I was rightly ashamed of myself. I have been back a few times since.
@kirkie I passed you overnight, possibly because of being in a RL different time zone? Will you pass me tonight?

@Bala, I've nearly reached Los Arcos, I think. You're not far behind me now, might have been those extra 6km, lol.
@Jeff Crawley are you 'Canterbury Pilgrim'? I took a chance & added you anyway. Good to see you if it is you!
I haven't found @FooteK or @easygoing yet. Has anyone else?
It's a lovely day strolling along here. I'll see how far I get today.

@kirkie I passed you overnight, possibly because of being in a RL different time zone? Will you pass me tonight?
Well done you! Today I passed nobody and nobody passed me. I gave myself a free day. Free from most things. A bit of jigsaw, a bit of jaw exercise (I phoned a friend in a care home), a bit of cooking, some reading... winter has returned to this time zone, so even had on the heating for a couple of hours. I'll pick up again in the morning. 👣

Well done you! Today I passed nobody and nobody passed me. I gave myself a free day. Free from most things. A bit of jigsaw, a bit of jaw exercise (I phoned a friend in a care home), a bit of cooking, some reading... winter has returned to this time zone, so even had on the heating for a couple of hours. I'll pick up again in the morning. 👣
Haha, I was thinking you would be from the other side of the world but if you're in winter now, haha, you must be an Antipodean, lol. So am I! My heating's on tonight.

And again haha. Ever hear of Ireland? It is possible to have four seasons in a day. We had some beautiful weather recently but then we had two or three days of bitter cold... the sun has reappeared and if it comes out again tomorrow, well, that is a bonus. It isn't easy to explain to people from other countries who are used to summer being summer all summer long that it doesn't necessarily work that way here. Now, to the virtual camino. I am not too far from Los Arcos, but I think I will just settle down behind the haystack and see what happens. If I sleep, good luck to me. See you all tomorrow! 👣

Off I go again. Not a bad spot to have a nap. I did love Logroño first time round. That is where a chap we called El Mochilon bought walking sandals and that saved his camino. Also, he forwarded 10kg of stuff to Santiago, to Correos. This virtual camino offers more time to meander, although it kind of goes against the grain to be taking it so casually. when it comes the time for another actual Camino, I will know where the shoe grips me, seriously! go safely, everyone! 👣

I'm loving this virtual camino. Certainly no blisters and I've now tested my walking shoes for over 600km. Haven't quite worked up to a 'normal' camino day, but I figure I will just plod on for longer, more slowly. Maybe ought to start practicing with a backpack. Have recently left Sarrina, walking from Vilie today. Doesn't appear to be anyone close for miles.

I arrived in Viana last night and had a chance to explore this beautiful city, go to mass, and recieve a pilgrim blessing at the church. I missed all of this IRT, when I stopped only long enough for a bocadillo, vino tinto, and a very much needed baños break. 😄 Then I trudged on to meet my husband, far, far, in front of me, in Longrono. It was probably one of my most miserable afternoons on the Camino. Exhausted, overheated, feet killing me, new blisters forming by the minute, and not a single other pilgrim in sight in front or behind .... 😭

But today, rested and refreshed after a good night's sleep in my comfy virtual inn (was that a down comforter on the bed? 😉), I'll grab a quick zuma on the way out of town and look for a gathering of pilgrims somewhere down the trail for a relaxing "second breakfast," and breeze down the trail. Tapas tonight in Logroño! Onward, pilgrims! 💕🤗

I can't say I walked much today. I found (?) a lovely bike and rambled along for a while, calling on an old friend for a social distance chat at her door. Met some of my friendly shop assistants, now that I am allowed to go inside shops and do my own food shopping. zoomed along by the river and then home. Will pick up again tomorrow. I must check where I am. It will be at least a couple of days before I hit Logroño.

This has been a fun thread to read.
I just signed up on walking4fun!
And I linked my Fitbit so hopefully my steps will auto upload.
It’s so exciting to look at the map and see all of you along the camino.

So is there anything else to do besides walk?
Do I post comments, attach fotos, need a credential, sellos, etc.?
How do the registers work? And what are the badges?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Buen (virtual) camino.

Last edited:
This has been a fun thread to read.
I just signed up on walking4fun!
And I linked my Fitbit so hopefully my steps will auto upload.
It’s so exciting to look at the map and see all of you along the camino.

So is there anything else to do besides walk?
Do I post comments, attach fotos, need a credential, sellos, etc.?
How do the registers work? And what are the badges?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Buen (virtual) camino.
Welcome. Soon, you will be flooded with replies, so just let me welcome you. Play around with the website, under “Your Walk”. I go down to the photos under the second map and they end at the precise point of the accumulation of kms. You could also find a video for a review of the walk. I am dizzy thinking of the speed of a couple of them, but they do the job of reminding me, and perhaps for anyone who hasn’t done the camino, offers an enticing intro. Sorry, I need to get ready ultra quietly to set off this morning. Virtually, on my way to Logroño but in reality along to a supermarket in town, just because it is a novelty now for me and it kills two birds with a couple of stones. I promise not to leave the stones lying around on the path...👣

UPDATE: I left no trace, apart from the imprint of my feet, and the fact of having traversed a distance of around 6m with whatever traces of me that hung around in the air. I have got too smart at walking fairly quickly and had time to stare while waiting for the supermarket to open at 8am. I watched a man climb up, bit by bit, to the top of a crane. Even now my head is spinning, thinking of him doing that. I timed it to get a bus home, only one other passenger and the driver and me. It is a bit windy outside, and I am going to move into the albergue kitchen, and prepare lunch for whoever shows up. All precautions in place! 👣

I made it to Orisson today. I enjoyed the fotos but have not found the video yet.

Anyone have experience with their Fitbit and logging steps? My steps did not upload even though my profile says it is linked.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back