• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sections of Camino Frances

JKR

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2023
I am looking at possible short sections of the Camino Frances. The two sections I am studying right now on Wise Pilgrim are Pamplona to Burgos and Leon to Sarria. I’d love to hear peoples opinions if you think one is more interesting than the other or if services are better in one section or the other. We are two older women and appreciated staying in hotels this year walking the Portuguese route, so trying to find a similar section under 120 miles or so, on the Frances route. Not interested in the last 100km.
I have not studied the other routes yet, so if a particularly interesting section comes to mind, happy to hear.
Thanks.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Both are good. From Pamplona you'll have more up and down, from Burgos you'll have more flat. You'll need to stay in the larger towns if you just want hotels, there's less choice of accommodation in the small villages. But private rooms available in most places.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I would go from Leon to Sarria. Why?, because it has two of the most iconic places on the Camino: Cruz de Ferro and O Cebreiro. If you want to decide for yourself, take a look at my videos posted here: http://tmanshikes.com/frances-route-videos/ I have the whole meseta covered in 7 videos and I also have Leon to Sarria covered in a series of 7 videos. Each video is a day's hike. I personally liked the meseta, too and don't see why so many people skip it.

I love Pamona to Burgos. Specifically Logrono to Burgos.
Best albergues if you choose to go that route are in Logroño and Grañón. You can't transfer luggage and you can't reserve, but these are by far the most authentic pilgrim experiences between Logroño and Burgos.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Best albergues if you choose to go that route are in Logroño and Grañón. You can't transfer luggage and you can't reserve, but these are by far the most authentic pilgrim experiences between Logroño and Burgos.
I know what you are saying about an authentic experience but I am not sure how to define that. We know an authentic pilgrim experience in 1650 is sure different from one today. When people ask me about that I always say I have had some of my most memorable and happy pilgrim experiences in some of the worst possible albergues. Those memories, and I am sure you guys have had that too, are as authentic as you can get. I know which albergues you speak of. I will not stay in them because if I do I will never get up in the morning. The same can be said of the albergues in San Anton that have no electricity, wifi or hot water. They have a solar panel but if you get there later in the day that water is cold, or the Albergue de San de San Nicolas where they wash your feet and also has no electricity. There are more to mention that I have stayed at besides these.
or my personal all time favorite:
There are so many wonderful and authentic experiences in many wonderful albergues.
I will always insist that it is the people and hospitalarios (I am sure you are included in this group) that can make a lifetime memory.

Although I agree, the OP mentions that they appreciated staying in hotels on the Portuguese. Thin mats on the floor to sleep on (often with only a few inches/cm between you and your fellow pilgrim) which both these albergues have, may not coincide with their requirements 😉

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Although I agree, the OP mentions that they appreciated staying in hotels on the Portuguese. Thin mats on the floor to sleep on (often with only a few inches/cm between you and your fellow pilgrim) which both these albergues have, may not coincide with their requirements 😉
Yes, not for everyone, but it makes me sad that people miss the community of pilgrims that gather in these kinds of places. I never feel that experience when staying in hotels.

Both are good. From Pamplona you'll have more up and down, from Burgos you'll have more flat. You'll need to stay in the larger towns if you just want hotels, there's less choice of accommodation in the small villages. But private rooms available in most places.
The options given were from Pamplona to Burgos and from Leon to Sarria. Of the two, I think the option before Burgos is less up and down than the option after Burgos (and Leon) which includes the climb to Cruz de Ferro and descent to Molinaseca, then the climb to O Cebreiro and descent to Triacastela. There are certainly hills between Pamplona and Burgos. But the section being contemplated after isn't the flat Meseta (although that has been recommended) but the mountains joining Leon to Galicia.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The options given were from Pamplona to Burgos and from Leon to Sarria. Of the two, I think the option before Burgos is less up and down than the option after Burgos (and Leon) which includes the climb to Cruz de Ferro and descent to Molinaseca, then the climb to O Cebreiro and descent to Triacastela. There are certainly hills between Pamplona and Burgos. But the section being contemplated after isn't the flat Meseta (although that has been recommended) but the mountains joining Leon to Galicia.
Just goes to show I didnt read the post properly!

Yes, not for everyone, but it makes me sad that people miss the community of pilgrims that gather in these kinds of places. I never feel that experience when staying in hotels.
I had to think about whether to respond to this but in the end I decided I did not want you to be sad. Our pilgrimage was what I needed. I was just recovering from cancer and grieving the loss of my husband of 40 years. (Still am.) We walked and talked with others along the way, but also attended masses and lit candles whenever there was an open church. We visited religious sites as we could, lingering alone for hours on the mountaintop over Padron. My companion, a priest, was able to meet with other clergy. We had deep conversations. In the quiet of our hotel rooms at night we were able to do our Bible study in peace. So, do not be sad, our pilgrimage was a good one, and we hope to repeat it.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back