• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Baselayers

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Spring weather can be unpredictable. There will be very warm (high 20s C) days and near freezing mornings. Snow is not likely, but certainly possible. Be prepared and Buen Camino.

Long sleeve, short sleeve, tank or cami for a late April / May Camino Frances?????

Yes. :):)

(Seriously - as @MileHighPair says above, weather is unpredictable at that time of year. I walked the Camino Frances last year in April/May, and we had glorious weather, warm all the way apart from some cool mornings at the start. A couple of years previously I think they had snow in May. So - layers are your answer. I wore short sleeves mostly but had long sleeves to layer on if the temp dropped. Plus I had a fleece (used on cool mornings). You just don't know what it's going to do!)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm will be walking in early April and here is my layers short sleeve, long sleeve, 100 fleece zip shirt and a 5 oz puffy and light rain/wind jacket This setup has worked for me for many hikes during the Shoulders season,

Buen Camino
Zzotte

I always wear long sleeves, even (especially) in the heat of summer. We saw some amazing sun burns in July 2014 on the Frances. The only time I want short sleeves is when 1) there is no sun; 2) but it is still hot and muggy. That is a rare occasion on the Frances, and I can always just roll up my sleeves. YMMV.

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

Merino t-shirt and loose merino arms to take off when the morning cool is over, wind/rain layer agaist the wind or rain, and some longsleeved wool or fleece for cold evenings.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My 2014 camino francés started on April 10. Long-sleeved microfiber shirt, fleece vest, rain shell were my layers. I had silk long underwear and used it a few times in the morning. My light fleece cap and liner gloves were also used. Most frequently, I just needed the shirt and my pants, but I did need the other gear for mountains/cold mornings. A pair of warm wool socks also comes in handy.

I always wear long sleeves, even (especially) in the heat of summer. We saw some amazing sun burns in July 2014 on the Frances. The only time I want short sleeves is when 1) there is no sun; 2) but it is still hot and muggy. That is a rare occasion on the Frances, and I can always just roll up my sleeves. YMMV.

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

Thank you Jo Jo
I have to cover up too (drs orders). I am paying the price of too much sun exposure when I was young!
To elaborate on my original post, I will be wearing a long sleeve top
https://www.nikestore.com.au/nike-element-half-zip-685910-696.html
and long tights, but want to buy some base layers to go under the top. I'm not sure whether a cami merino base layer would be sufficient or if you and others think another long sleeve merino would be better. Maybe @GettingThere is right, I will need all of them for different morning temps. It is quite an expense though and extra weight. I was hoping just to buy 2 to go under my tops.
Carol

Last edited:
I wear a long sleeved hiking shirt like you. I wear merino gloves on cold mornings and that can be enough to keep me warm. If it's really cold I prefer to pop my fleece jacket on top so that I can take it off easily - I would usually be too hot with a base layer under my hiking shirt and that would be more tricky to take off on the side of the road! That said, I do take both a long sleeved and short sleeved merino, which are primarilly intended for after walking, but could be used under my hiking shirt on a really cold day.
My husband has always worn short sleeves and starts off the day with a fleece jacket which quickly becomes too hot, but it's not yet warm enough for just his tshirt. This year he is trying a hiking shirt like mine that we picked up in a thrift store!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you Jo Jo
I have to cover up too (drs orders). I am paying the price of too much sun exposure when I was young!
To elaborate on my original post, I will be wearing a long sleeve top
https://www.nikestore.com.au/nike-element-half-zip-685910-696.html
and long tights, but want to buy some base layers to go under the top. I'm not sure whether a cami merino base layer would be sufficient or if you and others think another long sleeve merino would be better. Maybe @GettingThere is right, I will need all of them for different morning temps. It is quite an expense though and extra weight. I was hoping just to buy 2 to go under my tops.
Carol
I've been pondering this same question. I will wear a long-sleeved button-up shirt every day, regardless of weather. I have both a merino cami and merino short-sleeved shirt as possible base layers. I have just about decided to bring only the short-sleeved one. It could also serve as a non-hiking shirt to wear in the evening, while the cami cannot. Having walked in 15F (-9.4C) weather with the short-sleeved merino, the long-sleeved shirt, a fleece, and a wind jacket, I think I'll be fine without a long-sleeved base layer. I can always add my poncho for another layer if needed.

I wear a long sleeved hiking shirt like you. I wear merino gloves on cold mornings and that can be enough to keep me warm. If it's really cold I prefer to pop my fleece jacket on top so that I can take it off easily - I would usually be too hot with a base layer under my hiking shirt and that would be more tricky to take off on the side of the road! That said, I do take both a long sleeved and short sleeved merino, which are primarilly intended for after walking, but could be used under my hiking shirt on a really cold day.
My husband has always worn short sleeves and starts off the day with a fleece jacket which quickly becomes too hot, but it's not yet warm enough for just his tshirt. This year he is trying a hiking shirt like mine that we picked up in a thrift store!

Thank you Kiwi-family. This is so helpful. I must admit I was wondering how I was going to take my base layers off when I started to warm up. Makes much more sense to layer down from the top and since I will be wearing my long sleeved top no matter what, I think your suggestion is a very good plan.

Last edited:
I've been pondering this same question. I will wear a long-sleeved button-up shirt every day, regardless of weather. I have both a merino cami and merino short-sleeved shirt as possible base layers. I have just about decided to bring only the short-sleeved one. It could also serve as a non-hiking shirt to wear in the evening, while the cami cannot. Having walked in 15F (-9.4C) weather with the short-sleeved merino, the long-sleeved shirt, a fleece, and a wind jacket, I think I'll be fine without a long-sleeved base layer. I can always add my poncho for another layer if needed.

Thank you Seabird. I have almost decided as @Kiwi-family suggests to put layers over my long sleeve top rather than having them underneath. It will be so much easier to strip off when I start to heat up. I like your idea of the short-sleeved merino as a 'non-hiking shirt'. Do you have any recommendations?
Gracias and Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thank you Seabird. I have almost decided as @Kiwi-family suggests to put layers over my long sleeve top rather than having them underneath. It will be so much easier to strip off when I start to heat up. I like your idea of the short-sleeved merino as a 'non-hiking shirt'. Do you have any recommendations?
Gracias and Buen Camino
Like virtually everything I'm bringing, I buy what's on sale, regardless of color. My short-sleeved merino top is a Smartwool brand, a lovely maroon color, that I bought from Backcountry.com. The cami was Icebreaker, in aqua, from Sierra Trading Post. I will be the most colorful person on the Camino, as my hiking shirts are teal blue, my fleece is lime green, my windjacket peachy-orange, and my rainpants royal blue. Oh well, I sure saved a lot of money!

Buen Camino!

Like virtually everything I'm bringing, I buy what's on sale, regardless of color. My short-sleeved merino top is a Smartwool brand, a lovely maroon color, that I bought from Backcountry.com. The cami was Icebreaker, in aqua, from Sierra Trading Post. I will be the most colorful person on the Camino, as my hiking shirts are teal blue, my fleece is lime green, my windjacket peachy-orange, and my rainpants royal blue. Oh well, I sure saved a lot of money!

Buen Camino!

I will be in that competition for most colorful as I have also been shopping the sales.
I found some great shirts made of bamboo which wick away and are antimicrobial, they are called icebreaker. A sales person at REI recommended them and I found their website and found sale items there to be more reasonable. I have been training in two tanks and a long sleeve on top. Too expensive for me to buy the non-sale items, but I found some clearance items and it made it worthwhile. I am using the tanks as a camisole and have decided I won't bring a short sleeve, 3 long sleeves instead. They have different weights also. I got a 250 for those cold mornings and 2 of the 200 weight so I can sleep in one and wear the other. It has been working for me on early morning cold trainings. Now that it is warming up I don't get to test them against the cold much, but I love wearing them in the heat. Amazing how they keep me cool and I feel protected. Hope that is helpful. Been Camino!

I will be in that competition for most colorful as I have also been shopping the sales.
Perhaps we will cross paths and can have a picture taken of us in our colorful attire.....

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I found some great shirts made of bamboo which wick away and are antimicrobial, they are called icebreaker.

Surely Icebreaker only do merino wool? (But yes, I agree they're wonderful and even better if you can get them at a discount.)

I tested my layers out on a 39 degree walk here at home in Vermont yesterday, and was comfortable once I had walked a bit: tech tee shirt, 150 weight merino long sleeved shirt, Houdini wind shirt (extremely light weight) and over those a lightweight pullover fleece. Plus buff on head. Also have a Packa raincoat that covers me and pack. For bottoms I'm taking merino leggings, hiking capris, and rain pants. Walking mid-April from SJPDP.

I tested my layers out on a 39 degree walk here at home in Vermont yesterday, and was comfortable once I had walked a bit: tech tee shirt, 150 weight merino long sleeved shirt, Houdini wind shirt (extremely light weight) and over those a lightweight pullover fleece. Plus buff on head. Also have a Packa raincoat that covers me and pack. For bottoms I'm taking merino leggings, hiking capris, and rain pants. Walking mid-April from SJPDP.

Wow!! Thanks Sabbott. You sound super sorted! Feeling a bit overwhelmed by all the options atm, but hopefully it will all come together soon.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Has anyone used the phone service "Holafly" during their Camino? Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back