• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sports baselayers v merino

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPdP - Pamplona March/April 2013
I posted this on the Equipment forum but didn't get an answer so re=posting here - all advice welcome.
We plan to walk just 5 days over Easter. My children already have Canterbury / UnderArmour 'underwear' for playing sports in cold weather. Will these be suitable as the base layer rather than paying out more money for merino layers? Thanks

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Sargeantmajormammy:

My under layer is sport Under Armor. I think it works great. On top of that I wear a fleece and then my North face combo rain/wind/cold outer jacket. I have started twice on March 23rd and once on April 1st. There were some cool mornings but once you get walking I was usually stripped to my fleece.

Yes, imo, they are more than adequate.

Ultreya,
Joe

Sgt Maj,

I would have thought they would be fine. I have recently bought a Merino base layer to try out ( very expensive) based on the comments on the forum. I have to say it is fantastic, very comfortable and does not smell as bad after a number of days use. That said I will not replace my other "plastic" base layer shirts but accept they will need washing more often

Kevin

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Unless you're expecting regular temperatures approaching or under freezing point, I'd suggest you go with the sports baselayers and a micro fleece mid layer with a rain jacket if weather requires, I find my merino layers great in very cold weather but far slower drying than sports baselayers if washing is needed. Don't forget gloves and hat too.

Buen camino

Seamus

Merino base layers do come in varying weights, much as base layers in other fabrics do. My merino Tshirt is very comfortable on warm days. And it dries overnight just as the other clothing does.

That being said, Sgt Mjr Mam, I suspect your squad will do just fine with their existing kit.

Kitsambler said:
Merino base layers do come in varying weights, much as base layers in other fabrics do. My merino Tshirt is very comfortable on warm days. And it dries overnight just as the other clothing does.

That being said, Sgt Mjr Mam, I suspect your squad will do just fine with their existing kit.
I used merino on the camino and found it fantastic, no problem with drying and if I didnt get to wash it at the end of the day as happened once or twice it didnt get stinky as the manmade fabric does. But as you already have the manmade kit it will be fine also.
Have a great Camino. :arrow:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have worn merino for over 40 years and could not even consider another winter fabric - harimph! said the greybeard. Hard to change after all those years and I do have an inborn distaste bordering on outright disgust for synthetics-I wear only wool, cotton (I know takes longer to dry but never smells) even denim since they are all natural fibres a fleece is all right as long as the collar doesn't rub. Should you like the sports layers go for it but you haven't convinced this oldtimer.

Thank you all very much - I don't fancy spending a couple of hundred euro on new baselayers if we can manage the five days with what we have. We'll have plenty of other layers on top, as well as the hats, gloves, snoods etc. Now just need to get the packing sorted ...!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
sergeantmajormammy said:
Thank you all very much - I don't fancy spending a couple of hundred euro on new baselayers if we can manage the five days with what we have. We'll have plenty of other layers on top, as well as the hats, gloves, snoods etc. Now just need to get the packing sorted ...!

My view is that if the wicking properties of the UnderArmou materials would make them a suitable baselayer, and it would NOT be necessary to go out an buy different gear.

If you were replacing gear that had worn out, or buying gear from scratch, you might make different choices, and look at other materials.

Regards,

Scruffy's been wearing merino longer than I've been alive, yet I agree with everything he says.

Were you buying from scratch for a six week camino I'd advise merino. But you're not. What you have is perfectly servicable, so wear it and save the money. It'll keep you and the family in tinto on the way, and for a fair while afterwards.

(And buen camino!)

Nel

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.