• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Basque cake

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Gateau Basque/Pastel Vasco is delicious. And Basque cuisine is awesome. Those who walk the Camino del Norte can discover it for themselves.

Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Only problem with that recipe is that Gateau Basque/Pastel Vasco/Euskal Pastela does have filling.

Buen Camino!

It´s a typical cake of the region and served in most places in SJPDP/ Donibane-Garazi.
Very nice to along with a cuppa.

Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
OK...I have never heard of this! What do you mean by served before you start? Is it some sort of tradition to eat before you start the camino? Not that I need any excuse to eat cake! lol.

It's served for dessert with the menu del peregrino at some of the restaurants in SJPDP and Roncevalles.
I had it for dessert in SJPDP the night before I walked, and they also served it in the hotel/restaurant next to the Municipal albergue in Roncesvalles, one of the guys at my table took one bite and didn't like it, so more for me.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Well, this post certainly led me down a pastry filled rabbit hole! I don't recall this dessert from any of my caminos but I will definitely be seeking it out next time. And it looks like just the thing for my next pilgrims' potluck....whenever we might be able to do that again!

Most read last week in this forum