• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cider in Spanish basque country

Slkalina

Time of past OR future Camino
Septembre 2023
Does anyone know of any cidrerie around the Camino. They are quite a culinary adventure and I would love to have dinner in one

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
This BBC article by Mike MacEacheran dated 14 July 2022 describes the past and present importance of apples, traditional architecture and historic manufacturing of cider in Basque culture.
www.bbc.com

How a drink fuelled a sea-faring people

Cider is a staple in the Spain's Basque Country, and its fascinating story goes hand in hand with the Basque desire to conquer the seas.
www.bbc.com
www.bbc.com

This BBC article by Mike MacEacheran dated 14 July 2022 describes the past and present importance of apples, traditional architecture and historic manufacturing of cider in Basque culture.

How a drink fuelled a sea-faring people

Cider is a staple in the Spain's Basque Country, and its fascinating story goes hand in hand with the Basque desire to conquer the seas.
www.bbc.com
www.bbc.com
That's a very interesting article, @mspath. Thanks for sharing it.
Basque history and culture are fascinating. I didn't know about the cider-seafaring connection.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Does anyone know of any cidrerie around the Camino. They are quite a culinary adventure and I would love to have dinner in one
There are certainly places in Basque Country where one could find cider, but when we were there we were more interested in their local wines and pintxos. When we continued west and into Asturia where apples are more widely grown, we found it more often. I remember our first real tasting was in Ribadesella along the Norte. Also found it easily in Oviedo, along the Primitivo. Sometimes you'll see a ceramic container with a spout on the outside tables so diners can pour their own. I love how the cider is poured from on high--to aerate/add oxygen. I don't usually keep track of restaurants, but this wonderful place I photographed was along the Calle Jovellanos -- a short street in the center of town that is packed with siderias -- in Oviedo.

2016-05-15_18-34-47_5297_EOS.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There are certainly places in Basque Country where one could find cider, but when we were there we were more interested in their local wines and pintxos. When we continued west and into Asturia where apples are more widely grown, we found it more often. I remember our first real tasting was in Ribadesella along the Norte. Also found it easily in Oviedo, along the Primitivo. Sometimes you'll see a ceramic container with a spout on the outside tables so diners can pour their own. I love how the cider is poured from on high--to aerate/add oxygen. I don't usually keep track of restaurants, but this wonderful place I photographed was along the Calle Jovellanos -- a short street in the center of town that is packed with siderias -- in Oviedo.

View attachment 144421
There was this place in Oviedo I had dinner, but forgot name. Hope my attempt to attach the photos works.

Attachments

• IMG_0372.JPG
    IMG_0372.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0373.JPG
    IMG_0373.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0374.JPG
    IMG_0374.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0375.JPG
    IMG_0375.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0376.JPG
    IMG_0376.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 28
If doing the Camino Norte just before you enter Villaviciosa you see Cideria El Gaitero. We booked a tour and made it on time to take it. It was great.

Can anyone describe the taste of the cider. Is it sweet, sour or dry?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Can anyone describe the taste of the cider. Is it sweet, sour or dry?
The cidra natural I tried was vinergry sour and dry. Peg hated it; I thought it okay but preferred the sweeter more carbonated stuff like back home (the hard cider). The sweeter stuff is, I think, in smaller bottles with metal caps. Cidra natural in bigger bottles with cork stoppers. The stoppers may be cut by the server to restrict the size of the opening to make it easier to pour from high up to add aeration to weaker natural carbonation. It is cheap enough to give it a try even if you don't think you will like it because the server's first pour is entertainment worth the price.

Both types of cider have alcohol.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Not Spanish side, but in the French Basque country, the Albergue at Harambeltz has local artisan cider and beers available for purchase, both of which are excellent. The cider was as good as any Normandy cider I've ever tasted.

The cidra natural I tried was vinergry sour and dry. Peg hated it; I thought it okay but preferred the sweeter more carbonated stuff like back home (the hard cider). The sweeter stuff is, I think, in smaller bottles with metal caps. Cidra natural in bigger bottles with cork stoppers.
Those types of cider, whether Spanish or French, will be very variable in flavour -- though the best of them are hands down better than any industrially produced carbonated ones. They will have better flavour, better texture, and just better everything, really. And you can't tell the difference by looks alone -- some of the best ciders are clear, and some others of the best are cloudy.

As to the less sweet and drier kinds, I personally prefer those to any of the industrial stuff, but in my experience you do need to have sampled a variety of artisan ciders (and poirés) to gain proper appreciation of that variety, so then learn to appreciate the qualities of a very dry cider.

If you're in France again at some point, if you stop over in Paris especially, you may well be able to find some artisan cider in such places as a traditional butchers' shop, a small traditional épicerie, sometimes at a morning food market, etc, and whilst in such places it tends to be "good enough" rather than excellent, that would give you a sense of what cider's supposed to be like.

Probably you could find some in SJPP too, though I've never actually looked for any myself. Because I'm not really a cider person, unless I chance upon the "good enough" or better. Which, down here where I live, is on only very rare occasion.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In my youth, picking strawberries on the south facing slopes of the Mendips we were fed and “watered”: bread, cheese, mutton stew and cider each day and paid at the end of the pick. Our “share” based on the farmers earn for that crop. The bread, the cheese, the mutton and, above all, the cider came from the farm. On a good year I’d pick three farms following the ripening crop. The cider varied, as it would and should, but I’d get up an hour before dawn and work on my knees till dusk tomorrow just to taste some of those brews again. Last time I passed by Draycott the Red Lion was an “Executive Home” and most of the farms were pocket housing estates. “Eli’s” in Huish Episcopi still had a barrel or two of local brew. They used to carry ten.

Even in Asturias now it’s hard to find a non corporate brew. It’s all filtered, pasteurized and dosed with enough sodium metabisulphate to make you think you must have had a good time judging by the hangover.

@JabbaPapa @Camino Chrissy you don’t have to like the stuff but please join me in mourning it’s passing 😉

@JabbaPappa, @Camino Chrissy you don’t have to like the stuff but please join me in mourning it’s passing 😉
I love proper dry cider. If there is a decent crop on the couple of small trees in my garden then I make my own in the autumn. I have a crabapple that produces really large fruit too which adds an extra bit of bite. Not vast amounts but about 8 gallons this year. If His Majesty's officials were not quite so keen on stopping it I'd love to have a bash at a Welsh Calvados equivalent! :cool:

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back